inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Past predictions you've made on the present?

Written By: Marty McFly on 05/09/05 at 10:00 pm

Since I figure almost everyone here is at least 12 or so, you've probably thought before, about how your life or a certain year would turn out (one that's already passed itself). Just for fun, what was it, and how different is the present than your past self figured?

For instance, I remember when I was little and I'd listen to Prince's song, saying "We're gonna party like it's 1999, and I'd think, Gee, 1999 is a long way off! I'm gonna be 17, I wonder what it's gonna be like! :D

Though I still love that song, I laugh a bit when I hear it now 'cause that "big future" prediction is in the past itself! And, 1999 wasn't as different from 1983 as some people may have thought at the time. I more thought about how I'd be in '99 as opposed to the year itself, but my life is less different than I recall figuring!

I remember often saying at, 7 or 8, for instance, that I wanted to have kids when I was around 20 (long story short, one reason is that my grandparents all died early or of old age when I was pretty young, so I wanted to reverse the trend). I have to say, being 23 today that I'm not the least bit ready to have kids (though I'd love to someday) - heck, I still feel like one myself at heart!!  ;D

So, let's hear your stories! :)

Subject: Re: Past predictions you've made on the present?

Written By: Kenlos on 05/09/05 at 11:32 pm

Does predicting a certain event count?  If so I have one of those.

This is a prediction that I have friends who can verify it.  This whole prediction was just based off a gut feeling.  Back in very early December of 2001.  I got a strong feeling that a fairly large winter storm was going to form early the next month.  I was talking to a friend and told him that I thought during the last week of December that a cold snap was going to effect the Southeast.  I told him about that same time a low pressure system would form in the Gulf of Mexico and quickly strengthen.  I then told him that the low would move on shore and would hit Georgia (the state we lived in) in very early January, I even told him sometime between the 2nd-4th that it would hit.  I also told him that I felt it would be the biggest snow storm that Atlanta would have seen since the Blizzard of 93'.  Then as the month progressed and the end of December came a long my prediction started to come true, a cold snap had moved in over the southeast and a low was forming in the Gulf.  Just as I had said it moved inland and moved into the Atlanta area on the 2nd of January and dumped 7 inches of snow on the town which was just as I had predicted the most snow that Atlanta had seen since the Blizzard of 93'.  Though I do not consider myself a physic nor do I really believe in physics I found it really cool that just off a gut feeling that I predicted this big winter storm exactly perfect one month before it happened.

Written By: ADH13 on 05/10/05 at 10:08 pm

Well, one thing I was sort of wrong about.  Sometimes I get lazy and although I need or want something, I don't feel like driving to go get it.

<rewind to about age 15>

I would ask my mom or another adult for a ride somewhere, or to take me somewhere and they would say they're too tired or they didn't feel like driving.  I remember thinking "When I finally get my license, I will NEVER get tired of driving.  And if someone needs a ride, I will NEVER say no!"  And I would think, "How can you get tired of driving?!  You should try taking the bus for a week!"

Written By: Red Ant on 05/10/05 at 11:12 pm

Well, I have made several predictions that have not come true but I have had one dream that was so close to what happened it still shocks me to this day:

Sometime around February 2001, I had a dream where I was on the 85th floor of a building on fire ( I have never been in a building with more than 8 floors nor one on fire ). I was hearing a boy scream and resqued him and exited the building. As I was turning back to look at the building I realized there was an identical building next to it. The building that was on fire then collapsed.

Fast foward 7 months:

At approx 8:40 am EST on September 11, 2001, I flipped on the TV to see the WTC North Tower on fire, at approx. the same floor. As we all know both towers collapsed. I didn't even know before that day that the World Trade Center was actually 2 buildings ( actually there are more buildings that make up the complex and I had heard of " The Twin Towers " before just never associated them as being the WTC ).

I do not consider my self psychic at all, but that one was so close to what actually happened it was disturbing.

On a funnier note ( to me ), I predicted  sometime in 1997 that music would start sucking bad around the year 2000. I feel I was right on that.

My future prediction: The 2000s will go down as the worst decade in history for music. That is unless the 2010s are worse ( cringe ).

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 05/11/05 at 12:33 am

Lets just say, 10 years ago I thought we'd all be driving around in flying cars and the like.

Rather disappointing.  :-\\

Written By: Marty McFly on 05/12/05 at 6:58 pm

Sorry I've been super busy lately, but just wanted to say I've still been keeping up with it here. Great responses. :)

On a funnier note ( to me ), I predicted sometime in 1997 that music would start sucking bad around the year 2000. I feel I was right on that.

My future prediction: The 2000s will go down as the worst decade in history for music. That is unless the 2010s are worse ( cringe ).

While I do think it's gotten a bit better in the last 6-9 months, I totally agree that the year 2000 itself was, err, well not exactly a high point! Limp Bizkit, Sisqo, etc. I'm getting a headache just thinkin' about most of the stuff my friends were into, LOL! ;D

Check for new replies or respond here...