inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: How long will audiotapes last?

Written By: Marty McFly on 05/15/05 at 8:41 am

In the 70's, they broke out. In the 80's, they were all the rage (passing LP's, I believe).

In the 90's, even though CD's were caught up to -- if not passed -- them in sales, they were still pretty prevalent. When I started regularly buying music myself around 1996/7, it was less from what I'd recalled when I was little, in the 80's, but there was still a good selection.

Around 2002 is when they took a sharp decline. Record stores went from still being a wall of them, to less than 50 or so! Today, I'm not even sure if they still make new ones, just "reproduced" ones for bargain bins.

I predict by 2007, they won't even sell bargain ones at all (heck, I bet those are just so they can quickly sell the stock they have) and you'll only be able to buy them secondhand.

Even though I can burn mix CD's now and save songs on the computer, etc, I guess it's still sad in a sense. Not only do I have gajillions of 'em (both prerecorded, as well as ones I've taped), but it's kinda like a reminder that part of my childhood is gone. :(

Then again, records died out by the late 80's, yet they've been sort of reborn in the last few years (I guess that's one good thing about gangsta rap! LOL). People have enough of a collection of them, I'd think, to warrant tape decks to be sold until at least 2010-15.

Subject: Re: How long will audiotapes last?

Written By: Paul on 05/15/05 at 9:31 am

I've always disliked tapes - too fiddly by half, and always at risk of the dreaded 'snarl-up' - no matter how good your player was...

They had their heyday when the Walkmans came out (early 80s onwards), but the advent of the CD really hit 'em hard...

Their last bastion of success was their portability, but once manufacturers found out how to install a CD player in a car without any skipping, their days were numbered...it says a lot that new cars now come with CD player as standard, not a tape deck...

As for vinyl - well, I've heard conflicting reports...

It's true that DJ's preferred this format over CD, but I hear that a lot of 'em are turning to mp3 format in droves...how this will change things (if at all) remains to be seen...

Listening to music has certainly changed since my younger days...!

Written By: Apricot on 05/15/05 at 11:28 am

I can't even find tapes anymore... they have old ones of older artists.. but only at ghetto stores like Value City and Dollar General.. places you don't go for music. Unless I'm missing something.

I think they're already dead, or at least one foot in the grave.

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 05/15/05 at 12:41 pm

I don't think they'll be around for too much longer, but that is just my opinion.

I never cared for the fact that tapes stretch after repeated use.  :-\\

Written By: JamieMcBain on 05/15/05 at 12:44 pm

They are pretty much dead, along with the dodo.  ::)

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 05/15/05 at 3:53 pm

Tapes are alright for quickly taping stuff off the radio. Apart from that, I don't bother with them.

Written By: Apricot on 05/15/05 at 3:55 pm

Tapes are alright for quickly taping stuff off the radio. Apart from that, I don't bother with them.

I thought I was the only one who did that. I'll record a song from the radio so I can look up the lyrics and download the real version.

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 05/15/05 at 3:58 pm

I thought I was the only one who did that. I'll record a song from the radio so I can look up the lyrics and download the real version.
The stuff I tape off the radio is usually things like "radio sessions" or whatever they are called. Like when a band goes in and plays music or whatever. Or maybe live/rare recordings that are sometimes played. I can't remember the last time I actually taped an ordinary song from a radio.

Written By: Apricot on 05/15/05 at 4:00 pm

Oh. I've seen stuff like that, but our stations never pick up artists, let alone good artists, coming in for sessions. I see now.

Written By: Marty McFly on 05/15/05 at 4:04 pm

Yeah, I still use 'em for taping off the radio, or making mixes of music I only have casettes of (I collect alot of "old" music, LOL!).

Plus, can't forget voice recordings/karaoke, etc. :)

PS: Looks like everyone agrees they're on their way out. I'd say in a year or two, only blank tapes will be available - they've got more demand (like listed above) than prerecorded ones do.

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 05/15/05 at 4:05 pm

Oh. I've seen stuff like that, but our stations never pick up artists, let alone good artists, coming in for sessions. I see now.
Well, ever since they got rid of the station I listened to early this year, I haven't done it much. Just the occasional Pink Floyd or Led Zeppelin shows on another station.  :-\\

Written By: Apricot on 05/15/05 at 4:06 pm

I use my computer and it's mike for voice recordings.. although stuff for my band is gonna have to go on tape. Wish there was some way to get a more updated vocal recording technology.

Written By: jiminy on 05/15/05 at 6:41 pm

I don't think they'll be around for too much longer, but that is just my opinion.

I never cared for the fact that tapes stretch after repeated use.  :-\\

Like Howard's underwear   ;D

Written By: MooRocca on 05/15/05 at 8:27 pm

I use my computer and it's mike for voice recordings.. although stuff for my band is gonna have to go on tape. Wish there was some way to get a more updated vocal recording technology.

Try mini-disc, I think you'll be much happier with them than with cassette tapes.    :) 

Written By: Apricot on 05/15/05 at 8:32 pm

Try mini-disc, I think you'll be much happier with them than with cassette tapes.    :) 

Never heard of it. But I'll check on your recommendation. Thanks a lot.  :)

Written By: Dude111 on 12/10/21 at 10:17 pm

Tapes can last a long time IF THEY ARE TAKEN CARE OF!!!!

I have a 1969 cassette release of the doors first album and its absolutely insane!!!

I have a 1978 release of the movies Bus stop (1956) and Assault on precinct 13 (1976) on VHS and they are both insane also!!

People are the reason these tapes dont last long........

Written By: whistledog on 12/11/21 at 11:42 pm

New music is being released on cassette.  I bought Ariana Grande's 2020 album Positions on tape and I have 2 Lana Del Rey albums on cassette

Written By: Dude111 on 12/12/21 at 2:57 pm

Ya that stuff isnt analogue based though,how does it sound??

I mean does it sound thin and unpleasant??

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 12/12/21 at 4:14 pm

Ya that stuff isnt analogue based though,how does it sound??

I mean does it sound thin and unpleasant??

That's the problem. I didn't know they were doing cassettes, but the so-called "vinyl resurgence" is a bit of a farce to a lifelong album collector (since the 60s) like myself. It isn't analog! So what's the point? So Millennials (and any remaining hipsters) can say they listen to albums?  All it is is digital bumped down to vinyl. Thanks, but I'll stick to the real thing. I still buy old albums in used stores and thrift shops when I come across something I want, but they can keep the new ones.

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/13/21 at 6:22 am

All depends on the quality of the tapes, but there again, I do not have a cassette player to play the cassettes to check the sound etc.

Written By: Howard on 12/14/21 at 3:38 am

All depends on the quality of the tapes, but there again, I do not have a cassette player to play the cassettes to check the sound etc.

I have one but haven't used it in quite some time.

Written By: karen on 12/14/21 at 11:19 am

I have one here you can have. My mother in law had two or three in storage

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/15/21 at 7:07 am

I have one here you can have. My mother in law had two or three in storage
Thank you for the offer, but now I am happy with CDs, etc.

Written By: Dude111 on 12/15/21 at 1:50 pm

This thread is awesome.......

Check for new replies or respond here...