inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Weird problem HELP

Written By: Jennifer028 on 05/16/05 at 12:47 pm

The other day I blew my nose a little too hard and I think my ear popped or some thing.  Later it was kinda achy and now its still a little achy and so is my throat and kinda my jaw.  I didnt have a cold or anything so I dont think its a ear infection or something like that.  What could it be...it started right after I blew my nose too hard...its not bad but kinda annoying.  Is my equlibrium off or something?
Its deep in there, like they might be fluid or something.  But its just weird cause I never had a cold (I caught dh's virus a couple days ago and threw up once) so I was blowing my nose to get all the crap out.
Its sore in my ear, on that side of my throat, and the place on your neck where you check your pulse.  Isnt that some kind of gland?

Subject: Re: Weird problem HELP

Written By: QueenAmenRa on 05/16/05 at 12:59 pm

I wouldn't no what to do...but I'm having a similar problem: water stuck in my ear.  What do I do?!!!

Written By: Jennifer028 on 05/16/05 at 1:05 pm

Is yours water from swimming or something or is it like head congestion/fluid in your ear?  If its fluid you can take a decongestant to dry it up.

If its just water I would try a q-tip or something.

I guess mine dosent really fell so much like fluid, more like achyness

Written By: QueenAmenRa on 05/16/05 at 1:21 pm

I took a bath, and there's something about the water here its too soft or something.  Or else my ear's just whack.  I tried using a q-tip but my ears are still clogged.

Written By: Jennifer028 on 05/16/05 at 2:30 pm

Can anyone help us poor girls out??????????

Written By: Marian on 05/16/05 at 2:56 pm

I wouldn't no what to do...but I'm having a similar problem: water stuck in my ear.  What do I do?!!!
Why don't you just turn your head down to let the water flow out like a waterfall?

Written By: Climber on 05/16/05 at 3:00 pm

I took a bath, and there's something about the water here its too soft or something.  Or else my ear's just whack.  I tried using a q-tip but my ears are still clogged.

If it's the right ear, try standing on your right foot, tip your head to the right, and jump up and down (do the opposite for the left ear; left foot, tip head to left, etc.)  Believe it or not, this has worked for me, and others that I have told about it.  :D ;D

Written By: Jennifer028 on 05/16/05 at 4:06 pm

Yep I'm sure..right when i blew it, it popped, you know how it does that sometimes.  I'm going to try the perixiode..its not bothering me so much anymore.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 05/16/05 at 8:26 pm

Yep I'm sure..right when i blew it, it popped, you know how it does that sometimes.  I'm going to try the perixiode..its not bothering me so much anymore.
Blow your nose hard but open your mouth with your teeth clenched...this has popped mine back in the past. Is your hearing the same or is it like it's plugged up. When I travel up to Pikes Peak my ears will pop...on the occassion when they don't I try that method and it's usually always worked. On the times it hasn't, I just wait it out and in a few days  it's normal again.

Written By: Jennifer028 on 05/16/05 at 9:38 pm

No my hearing is completly the same.

You know how it kinda feels when you try to blow up a balloon and it pops your ear and also hurts alittle right below your ear, thats what it feels like.  Its dosent really hurt so much though, just a little weird.

Written By: NullandVoid on 05/16/05 at 10:31 pm

No my hearing is completly the same.

You know how it kinda feels when you try to blow up a balloon and it pops your ear and also hurts alittle right below your ear, thats what it feels like.  Its dosent really hurt so much though, just a little weird.

I'm no Doctor but I think you are suffering from an ailment that bugs me at least twice a month. What's happened is that a little bit of air didn't quite make it out of your nose and ended up being shot right into your Eustachian tube therefore becoming trapped and putting you in a world of hurt(or at least discomfort). This is what I do for relief:

1. Open and shut your mouth as wide as you can about 10 times
2. massage that spot that hurts a little below your ear for a minute or so. This will help release pressure on your eardrum
3. If necessary pinch your nose and then alternate between swallowing and blowing your nose very gently(you don'twant to get more air stuck in there)

This always does the trick for me, I hope it helps you ;)

Written By: RockandRollFan on 05/16/05 at 10:33 pm

I'm no Doctor but I think you are suffering from an ailment that bugs me at least twice a month. What's happened is that a little bit of air didn't quite make it out of your nose and ended up being shot right into your Eustachian tube therefore becoming trapped and putting you in a world of hurt(or at least discomfort). This is what I do for relief:

1. Open and shut your mouth as wide as you can about 10 times
2. massage that spot that hurts a little below your ear for a minute or so. This will help release pressure on your eardrum
3. If necessary pinch your nose and then alternate between swallowing and blowing your nose very gently(you don'twant to get more air stuck in there)

This always does the trick for me, I hope it helps you ;)

THAT sounds like great advice :)

Written By: Gis on 05/17/05 at 4:53 am

You may have strained the muscle that works your jaw, I've done that before. I thought it was my ear and went to the doctor but it turned out to be my jaw.It just sorted itself out after a few days.

Written By: Gis on 05/17/05 at 4:56 am

Putting on my doctors hat for a moment. You should never, never, never use q-tips or any other such thing in your ears.All you do is force the wax down into your ear canal and compact it there where it causes blockages and often infections.If your ear feels blocked you should use a little warm olive oil as it loosens the wax and it will just come out naturally.

Written By: QueenAmenRa on 05/17/05 at 11:20 am

Putting on my doctors hat for a moment. You should never, never, never use q-tips or any other such thing in your ears.All you do is force the wax down into your ear canal and compact it there where it causes blockages and often infections.If your ear feels blocked you should use a little warm olive oil as it loosens the wax and it will just come out naturally.

Thanks for that!  I've done the tipping my head to the side and it does nothing.  I was gonna ask if alcohol would do the trick (no, no, i mean in my EAR!)  I'll try the olive oil.

Written By: Gis on 05/17/05 at 11:55 am

I know it sounds weird but it really does work !

Written By: QueenAmenRa on 05/21/05 at 2:15 pm

Ok I have tried and peroxide and felt like something was starting to bubble, but nothing came out.  It's been a week and my ear is still bad.  There's a constant ringing and now I'm getting sick to my stomach.  Last night I had to go to a graduation ceremony in a gymnasium with NO A/C and got the heat gave me this frickin huge headache killing my sinuses.  And I just kept feeling this pounding in my left ear.  AAAAAAUUGHHHH! I'm goin CRAZY and I wanna PUKE!!!!  What am I gonna do?  If I'm able to get to the clinic, u think they'll actually be able to solve the problem?

Written By: Climber on 05/22/05 at 8:13 pm

Ok I have tried and peroxide and felt like something was starting to bubble, but nothing came out.   It's been a week and my ear is still bad.  There's a constant ringing and now I'm getting sick to my stomach.   Last night I had to go to a graduation ceremony in a gymnasium with NO A/C and got the heat gave me this frickin huge headache killing my sinuses.   And I just kept feeling this pounding in my left ear.  AAAAAAUUGHHHH! I'm goin CRAZY and I wanna PUKE!!!!  What am I gonna do?   If I'm able to get to the clinic, u think they'll actually be able to solve the problem?

If it's been that long, I would definitely try to get in to the clinic.  Maybe try urgent care if you can't go during the day.  Or, maybe one of those satellite clinics that they have in supermarkets or malls...

Check for new replies or respond here...