inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Made up sports

Written By: jiminy on 05/22/05 at 7:05 am

I was watching TV and noticed that some sports seem  like they were just made up and are a watered down version of a real sport, two examples are, Arena Football and Poker... since when has Poker become a sport? I'm sure there are other examples like the Lesbian Basketball Association AKA the WNBA  ;D

PS: WNBA was corrected to NBA in the spellcheck
  :D

Subject: Re: Made up sports

Written By: Dumb Ass Kid on 05/22/05 at 7:10 am

I always think of Ping-Pong as a smaller version of actual tennis, I don't think it should be classed as a sport. Also, back in the 80s they used to have national competitions to see who could solve a rubix cube the fastest. Sad stuff

Written By: Paul on 05/22/05 at 8:08 am

A friend of mine, who is an angling nut, claims that fishing is a sport...

The arguments we've had over this...

Written By: Dumb Ass Kid on 05/22/05 at 8:10 am

A friend of mine, who is an angling nut, claims that fishing is a sport...

The arguments we've had over this...

hey, it's more of a sport than Ping-Pong!

Written By: JamieMcBain on 05/22/05 at 11:12 am

Dodgeball, or as it called when I was in grade school... Murder Ball.  ::)

Written By: RockandRollFan on 05/22/05 at 11:35 am

I was watching TV and noticed that some sports seem  like they were just made up and are a watered down version of a real sport, two examples are, Arena Football and Poker... since when has Poker become a sport? I'm sure there are other examples like the Lesbian Basketball Association AKA the WNBA  ;D

PS: WNBA was corrected to NBA in the spellcheck
  :D
Hey! I happen to enjoy watching the ladies play. They don't "carry" the ball like the guys get away with or have the huge ego's of the NBA. I agree about poker though. I like to watch it but geez....it's seemingly on ALL the time ::)

Last and definatley least...."Professional" Wrestling....a bunch of foul-mouthed steriod macho-pigs grabbing opponents crotches and knocking women. Thank God it's never made the sports section. My late son Blaine was a real wrestler who's school won the city Championship and he won the induvidual title back in 1999.

Written By: AL-B on 05/22/05 at 12:06 pm

What about curling? You know, where they slide a huge stone across an ice rink towards a target, and there are people with brooms sweping the ice to try and steer the stone? I think that it's quite possibly the goofiest "sport" ever.

Written By: NullandVoid on 05/22/05 at 1:10 pm

What about curling? You know, where they slide a huge stone across an ice rink towards a target, and there are people with brooms sweping the ice to try and steer the stone? I think that it's quite possibly the goofiest "sport" ever.

I remember a cable channel actually devoted a whole TWO HOURS to broadcasting that crap. How do I know? It took over the Sunday after noon movie time slot. ARGH!!

Written By: Howard on 05/22/05 at 1:48 pm

water sports. ;D

Written By: jiminy on 05/22/05 at 2:56 pm

now hurling is a real sport, you have a big dinner and go out all night drinking  ;D

Written By: jiminy on 05/22/05 at 3:04 pm

Hey! I happen to enjoy watching the ladies play. They don't "carry" the ball like the guys get away with or have the huge ego's of the NBA. I agree about poker though. I like to watch it but geez....it's seemingly on ALL the time ::)

Last and definatley least...."Professional" Wrestling....a bunch of foul-mouthed steriod macho-pigs grabbing opponents crotches and knocking women. Thank God it's never made the sports section. My late son Blaine was a real wrestler who's school won the city Championship and he won the induvidual title back in 1999.

I like on the poker shows how they have a gambling addiction disclaimer during the commercials... bowling, water polo and synchronized swimming don't seem like sports either... oh and the sport of "hunting"

Written By: FaultyDog on 05/22/05 at 3:17 pm

I like on the poker shows how they have a gambling addiction disclaimer during the commercials... bowling, water polo and synchronized swimming don't seem like sports either... oh and the sport of "hunting"

Problem with many sports is that you don't know the rules, so there's no fun watching it.
For me, that includes poker as well as cricket.
Furthermore, I strongly oppose of any sport where the actual achievements have to be judged by one or more....hm, yes that would be judges (synchronized swimming, gymnastics, ski jumping, figure skating to name but a few...).

And then there's the sports that are simply idiotic to begin with, like underwater hockey. I mean, really....  ???

I agree with you on hunting, though. >:(

Written By: RockandRollFan on 05/22/05 at 3:26 pm

Kinda crazy...that disclaimer ::) My top ten non sports would be:
1. "Pro" Wrestling...scripted Soaps with big seriod jerks who like to grab each other and cuss
2. Poker
3. Curling
4. Bowling
5. ping-pong
6. Golf...skill game but not really a sport. I love it though.
7. Hunting
8. Murder Ball
9. Race Car driving...skill again but not really a sport
10. I'll use this as my simple explanation...any sport that has non athletes is not a real sport...thier are plenty of fat out of shape bowlers, golfers, hunters and even race car drivers. As for "Proffesional Wrestling"...it has athletes but it's scripted and fake...therefore NOT a "Real" Sport.

Written By: jiminy on 05/22/05 at 3:32 pm

Kinda crazy...that disclaimer ::)

the disclaimer is almost as bad as letting tobacco companies have commercials about the dangers of smoking... the only reason they do these commercials is because they lost a court case... I bet they have subliminal messages in those spots... "smoke more cigarettes"   :D

Written By: JamieMcBain on 05/22/05 at 8:50 pm

I like bowling!

Written By: Peregrin on 05/23/05 at 8:55 am

That was what I thought AL-B  :)

So Merry and I wrote a parody about it.  The link is here if you would like to look  :)

http://www.amiright.com/parody/60s/thebeatles980.shtml

Written By: Howard on 05/23/05 at 5:40 pm

basketball-bowling ;D

Written By: JamieMcBain on 05/23/05 at 9:33 pm

Rollerskate Baseball ?

Disco Hockey ?

Extreme Golf ?

Ski Bowling?

;D

Written By: karen on 05/24/05 at 6:45 am

Frisbee golf.  It's one of the "new" big things around here.  Basically, golf with frisbees and you have to hit a target instead of getting the ball in the hole ::)

It's called Ultimate Frisbee.  There's been a club here at Loughborough Uni for about 10 years.

My top ten non sports would be:
1. "Pro" Wrestling...scripted Soaps with big seriod jerks who like to grab each other and cuss
2. Poker
3. Curling
4. Bowling
5. ping-pong
6. Golf...skill game but not really a sport. I love it though.
7. Hunting
8. Murder Ball
9. Race Car driving...skill again but not really a sport
10. I'll use this as my simple explanation...any sport that has non athletes is not a real sport...thier are plenty of fat out of shape bowlers, golfers, hunters and even race car drivers. As for "Proffesional Wrestling"...it has athletes but it's scripted and fake...therefore NOT a "Real" Sport.

Darts would fall into your last category then.  Any game where you can drink beer and still play professionally at the same time does not count as a sport imo

Written By: gemini61 on 05/24/05 at 6:47 am

It's called Ultimate Frisbee. There's been a club here at Loughborough Uni for about 10 years.

Darts would fall into your last category then. Any game where you can drink beer and still play professionally at the same time does not count as a sport imo

I was thinking the same thing. Darts and Pool.

Written By: Kenlos on 05/24/05 at 10:04 am

I guess it all depends on what your defintion of a sport it is.  Some people believe that anything that has any kind of competition a sport.  Then you have others that believe if it doesn't involve a ball or some sort it isn't a sport.  Then you have those that don't consider anything outside of the major sports to be a sport.  So I guess overall it is kind of hard to say what is and what isn't a sort as everyones idea of what a sport is. 

Written By: EthanM on 05/24/05 at 10:52 am

Ultimate frisbee and frisbee golf are two different things. Ultimate frisbee is like what we call European Handball in the USA so probably just handball for europeans, except there is a frisbee instead of a ball and you try to get it past the goal line instead of in a goal. It was a club sport where i went to College, which is not part of the NCAA system but they still played against teams from other schools. Frisbee golf is basically throwing frisbees at trees from far away.

Written By: Howard on 05/24/05 at 6:32 pm

round the world Race Car Driving.

Written By: darktower on 05/26/05 at 10:43 am

1. In my misspent youth, I played a few games of car basketball, on outdoor courts, of course. Night games--late night games--only. Beer helps.

2. The boyz and I used to play a game that combines all the worst features of tennis and volleyball, on a tennis court, with one of those big plastic Wal-Mart type balls. Again, very late-night games--and yes, beer helps.

3. A friend of mine, who is a freelance sportswriter and used to be the sports information director for a small university, had an idea for reinvigorating the NBA: make the basket a hole in the floor and recruit midgets. Just a suggestion, and I'm positive beer would help.

Written By: Indy Gent on 05/26/05 at 10:54 am

That reminds me of a "Friends" ep where Chandler and Joey invented some weird games like "Hammer Darts", "Fireball" and "Ultimate Fireball".  ;D

Check for new replies or respond here...