inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: I hate picking baby names!!!!

Written By: ChuckyG on 05/25/05 at 8:44 pm

Just spent two hours arguing over names with the wife... we've settled on a girls name, which I'm not overly happy with, but I'm not opposed to it.  It's ok, my two biggest complaints are that it can be spelt three different ways and is very popular the last 20 years or so.  I know I'll never remember which spelling it is and I know the kid will end up having to correct people for not only her last name but her first name too.

The boy's name (since we're not going to know which it is until the day, we have to go to the trouble of picking two), is much harder, and really the only one we're working on together.  I suggest a name, she hates it, she's barely suggesting any at all since she's got one picked out.  One that she did suggest, she's not even considering, and another we've scratched off the list already.

and no... I'm not diviluging names yet.. strict orders not to.  ready to scream really.

I can at least rule out names related to Duran Duran.  She already nixed those names in advance.

Subject: Re: I hate picking baby names!!!!

Written By: Marty McFly on 05/25/05 at 9:04 pm

Hey Chucky, I know where you're coming from. I don't have kids (though I'd like to someday - even though I'm kind of just a big kid myself!), but to be honest, I don't know what I'd name them -- I've ran off tons of possibilities in my head, but they often change.

I just know I'll not name a boy after myself (really no offense to anyone here who has done that - it's just not my style! I mean, if a father and son are named Jim, and someone says, "Jim, dinner's ready," do they both come running?! ;D).

Are you more into "common" names (i.e. Mike, Robert, Jane, Sally) or obscure ones? By your first paragraph, I'd assume the latter.

I can at least rule out names related to Duran Duran. She already nixed those names in advance.

LOL! If it were completely your choice, would you have gone with Simon, John or Nick?

Written By: YWN on 05/25/05 at 9:54 pm

My name is Marshal.  :)

You should name your son Nightmare and your daughter should either be Tibbygirl or Emiloca.

Written By: Climber on 05/26/05 at 12:05 am

Chucky, I know EXACTLY where you're coming from.  With hubby & I, we had a girls name before we even GOT pregnant, but couldn't agree on a boy's name.  Trust me, you'll make it through.....I did, 3 times :o  Hubby kept nixing names using the "Well, so-and-so had a friend (or sister, or cousin, or neighbor, or aunt three-times removed...I think you get the point ;)) who had a son named 'X' and he was a little brat" and so on and so on.  With our oldest, we decided about 2 weeks before, the middle one, 3 days before and the last one, about a month before.  I never did get to use my girl's name so if you'd like to use it, feel free:  Kendall Nicole ;)

We had the same problem, only it was me that did it, not my husband!  :D ;D  Some names just give me a bad taste in my mouth, or remind me of someone I'd rather not think of when I say them.  I nixed most of the names he picked, mostly because I had one that I really liked.  Eventually he agreed to it though; Natalie Rose.

Written By: Marty McFly on 05/26/05 at 2:23 am

^ That's a nice name. :)

BTW, I forgot to add - I think I can automatically rule out (for a boy) Marty, Emmett, George or Biff - and (for a girl) Lorraine, Jennifer or Clara (unless my future g/f or wife likes BTTF as much as I). ;D

Written By: karen on 05/26/05 at 3:43 am

Chucky you could always try what my friend thought would be the easiest way.  He picked up a baby name book and flicked through the pages till his wife said stop then he randomly pointed to a name on the page.  Unfortunately the name was Homer!  Not their final choice then.

In the UK you have until 6 weeks after the birth to register the baby so I do know people who have left it till the last day before deciding.  I think they wanted to see what name would suit their baby.

We decided on a girl and a boy name before our first was born.  Didn't really decide on a girl's name for the second so it was lucky that we had a boy.

Written By: Apricot on 05/26/05 at 5:01 am

My name is Marshal.   :)

You should name your son Nightmare and your daughter should either be Tibbygirl or Emiloca.

Oh, so not tribute to ME?  >:(

Written By: danootaandme on 05/26/05 at 6:11 am

I had a hard time picking my sons name, then I remembered that there is a Jewish tradition(though I am not Jewish) that says you name the child after the last relative(of the same sex) who died.  My father was the one and I named him after Dad, then for the middle name my mothers maiden name, I got both sides of the family, luckily the names went well together.  ;)

Written By: YWN on 05/26/05 at 8:02 am

Yes, of course, Apricot.  Another good name.  Or Aprimare and Tibbyloca.

Written By: Mergal on 05/26/05 at 8:26 am

It would sound fun for me. I don't have any kids yet, but I often find myself thinking up names for my hypothetical children. They often change but right now it would be Katherine Anne for a girl, and Michael James for a boy. I also like Emily, Jennifer, Holly, William, Edward...
Personally I think it's alright to give a child an usual name as long as the middle name is traditional because if the child turns out to be the conservative quiet type he/she can just go with the middle name.

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 05/26/05 at 8:27 am

Yes, of course, Apricot.  Another good name.  Or Aprimare and Tibbyloca.

I've often wondered if Apricot is Apricot's true Christian name?

Written By: ChuckyG on 05/26/05 at 9:23 am

yeah, I'm into the less traditional names.  I've ruled out several because of relatives that have the name, and she's ruled out dozens because she doesn't like the "sound".  You can get carried away with the "so-and-so knows a ..."  so we generally restrict it to "I know a ... and I dislike them greatly". 

When I was a kid I thought it would have been cooler to be a third instead of a Junior... Charles R. Grosvenor III looks better than Charles R. Grosvenor Jr. but with the problems that arise in today's society from sharing the same name as my father, I thought better of it.

My brother and his wife are having a boy two months after ours, and he's already picked the most recently deceased relative's first name as the middle name for his son.  We're using our middle names for the children's middle names, since both of us have parents with the same middle name as us.

Written By: Sugafairey on 05/26/05 at 9:38 am

I know my parents had a real dilemma when picking out my name. They had a lovely name all picked out but my birth mother had called me by another name already, they didn't feel it was their place to change it, even though I was only 1 month old when they adopted me!
So I ended up with a really plain first name because that was what the lady wanted. My adoptive parents have a thing about more unusual names, so they gave me the name they chose as a middle name (it suits me much better).

So really my middle name was supposed to be my first name! it's a shame actually because I LOVE my middle name and don't really like my first name.

If I have children of my own one day I'd like to use the name Lily Mae or Lilyella for a girl and Harrison for a boy.

My boyfriend is not thrilled about either of these names and we argue about it all the time. We can't even decide where to get married, so chances of us actually getting to the point of having kids without having killed eachother arguing is not likely!

Oh well. :D

Written By: karen on 05/26/05 at 9:40 am

What about a name related to one of the Duran members?  Like Simeon instead of Simon or a different form of John?

It's tricky because you want a name that goes well with your surname.  You either need a single syllable name like James or one that's slightly longer than your surname I think.

Written By: ChuckyG on 05/26/05 at 9:47 am

What about a name related to one of the Duran members?  Like Simeon instead of Simon or a different form of John?

It's tricky because you want a name that goes well with your surname.  You either need a single syllable name like James or one that's slightly longer than your surname I think.

believe it or not, I found out today Simon's full name is Simon John Charles Le Bon

http://news.independent.co.uk/people/profiles/story.jsp?story=641254

which I think is way cool... so if I went with Charles again I would be in a way.... wife still won't go for it.

I'm pushing for Julian, but the wife thinks it's too much like a girl's name, not masculine enough.  It fits with the names well though.

most of her picks have been single syllable names

Written By: jiminy on 05/26/05 at 9:48 am

I suggest you don't name him right away, judge his personality a few weeks and then decide on a name, you might choose Frank and then realize that you indeed have a Bob... of course the easiest cop out is to give him your name and throw a junior on the end, then you could start a yacht club and in this way he could name his son the III but a Norse name sounds unique unless of course you live in Scandinavia   ::)

Written By: Indy Gent on 05/26/05 at 10:18 am

Just a suggestion. ;)

www.babynames.com

Written By: Gis on 05/26/05 at 10:30 am

In the UK you have until 6 weeks after the birth to register the baby so I do know people who have left it till the last day before deciding.  I think they wanted to see what name would suit their baby.

Exactly what happened to me ! My parents had boys names all picked out but no girls names.They argued for the whole six weeks and then apparently my Dad came home one day and said 'by the way I registered the baby as....' It was a name he'd seen in the newspaper and decided he liked it and that was that !?! Meanwhile I was in my cot going 'You've called me WHAT??'

Anyway Chucky a piece of advise for you and your wife from a very good friend of mine.When you have picked out some names go round for a day saying the name to yourself and if you are thoroughly sick of the sound of it by the end of the day don't use it.As she said you are going to be speaking the name for the rest of your life so it's a good way to decide for sure if you like it enough.

On the subject of babies has Powerslave's wife had her baby yet ??

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/26/05 at 11:23 am

yeah, I'm into the less traditional names.  I've ruled out several because of relatives that have the name, and she's ruled out dozens because she doesn't like the "sound".  You can get carried away with the "so-and-so knows a ..."  so we generally restrict it to "I know a ... and I dislike them greatly". 

When I was a kid I thought it would have been cooler to be a third instead of a Junior... Charles R. Grosvenor III looks better than Charles R. Grosvenor Jr. but with the problems that arise in today's society from sharing the same name as my father, I thought better of it.

My brother and his wife are having a boy two months after ours, and he's already picked the most recently deceased relative's first name as the middle name for his son.  We're using our middle names for the children's middle names, since both of us have parents with the same middle name as us.

My father-in-law IS Charles III (which he uses Jr.), Carlos is Charles IV and my step-son is Charles V.

The funny thing was, many, many moons ago (during my first marriage), I had three girls names pick out if I ever had a kid (which didn't happen  :\'(). After meeting Carlos, I found out that two of his daughters and his son's ex-girlfriend's had those 3 names. *Cue theme from the Twilight Zone* 

Cat

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 05/26/05 at 11:45 am

Anyway Chucky a piece of advise for you and your wife from a very good friend of mine.When you have picked out some names go round for a day saying the name to yourself and if you are thoroughly sick of the sound of it by the end of the day don't use it.As she said you are going to be speaking the name for the rest of your life so it's a good way to decide for sure if you like it enough.

Very good idea! 

I was lucky in that hubby liked the names I'd picked out for our kids.  The names aren't too common, yet are easy to say.  :)

Written By: YWN on 05/26/05 at 11:46 am

APRIMARE AND TIBBYLOCA I SAY!  Or Nightricot and Emigirl.

Written By: jiminy on 05/26/05 at 11:47 am

Drop pots and pans on the floor and listen to the sounds they make and give him a Chinese name  :D

Written By: Marian on 05/26/05 at 2:28 pm

I know my parents had a real dilemma when picking out my name. They had a lovely name all picked out but my birth mother had called me by another name already, they didn't feel it was their place to change it, even though I was only 1 month old when they adopted me!
So I ended up with a really plain first name because that was what the lady wanted. My adoptive parents have a thing about more unusual names, so they gave me the name they chose as a middle name (it suits me much better).

So really my middle name was supposed to be my first name! it's a shame actually because I LOVE my middle name and don't really like my first name.

If I have children of my own one day I'd like to use the name Lily Mae or Lilyella for a girl and Harrison for a boy.

My boyfriend is not thrilled about either of these names and we argue about it all the time. We can't even decide where to get married, so chances of us actually getting to the point of having kids without having killed eachother arguing is not likely!

Oh well. :D
That's not a big deal.Don Everly was actually born Isaac Donald Everly;he goes by his middle name.So does Paul Mccartney--his first name is James.

Written By: ChuckyG on 05/26/05 at 2:35 pm

That's not a big deal.Don Everly was actually born Isaac Donald Everly;he goes by his middle name.So does Paul Mccartney--his first name is James.

A lot of people go by their middle name.  My boss for instance, and plenty of celebrities.  I second going by your middle name.  It was also a trend for awhile for girls to have uni-sex/gender nuetral middle names, so they could use it when applying for jobs and lessen the discrimination they might see when applying for a job.

Written By: Jennifer028 on 05/26/05 at 8:20 pm

Coming from a Jennifer try not to use a name that is really common.  I always hated being in a classroom with 2-3 other jennifer's.
You can go here to see the most popular baby names right now  :)

http://www.ssa.gov/OACT/babynames/

Written By: karen on 05/27/05 at 4:34 am

On the subject of babies has Powerslave's wife had her baby yet ??

She had a girl about a week ago.  I forget the exact name but it was soemthing like Jazyne.  There's a thread about it somewhere.  I'll edit here if I find it.

MTA:  here it is complete with cute piccy

http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php/topic,10174.msg443773.html#msg443773

Written By: Powerslave on 05/27/05 at 10:16 am

She had a girl about a week ago.  I forget the exact name but it was soemthing like Jazyne. 

It's Jazynthe (Jacinta). We were looking up the meaning in a book and saw it spelled that way and we both thought "Cool".

Written By: mrgazpacho on 05/29/05 at 10:30 pm

I'm pushing for Julian, but the wife thinks it's too much like a girl's name, not masculine enough. It fits with the names well though.

most of her picks have been single syllable names

How about "Jules"? :)

Written By: NullandVoid on 05/29/05 at 10:34 pm

Please don't name the baby Brooklyn or any other borough in NYC :)

Written By: ADH13 on 05/29/05 at 11:16 pm

haha I'd rather have a kid named Brooklyn than a kid named Bronx.  I've noticed that alot of people lately have been naming their kids after cities.  For example, Madison, Vienna, Berlin, Cheyenne, Paris, etc. 

Chucky, it's funny you mentioned Julian, because that is my pick for a boys name (if I could ever get pregnant) and Yesenia for a girl.  It's so hard to think of names that you don't make a negative association with.  When I tried to think of names, I almost always thought of some kid from my childhood that was a moron, or some other person who screwed me over somehow...

Written By: Ripp on 05/30/05 at 4:50 am

:D Cool!

Written By: Gis on 05/30/05 at 9:27 am

She had a girl about a week ago.  I forget the exact name but it was soemthing like Jazyne.  There's a thread about it somewhere.  I'll edit here if I find it.

MTA:  here it is complete with cute piccy

http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php/topic,10174.msg443773.html#msg443773
Thanks Karen.One of these days I'll manage to keep up with the news ! ::) 

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/30/05 at 10:33 am

How about Brooke Lynn?  ;)

Cat

Written By: jiminy on 05/30/05 at 10:35 am

How about Brooke Lynn?  ;)

Cat

it beats Flushing  :D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/30/05 at 10:38 am

it beats Flushing  :D

Man, a kid by the name of Flushing would definately be beaten up every day in school.

Cat

Written By: jiminy on 05/30/05 at 10:40 am

Man, a kid by the name of Flushing would definately be beaten up every day in school.

Cat

and have it's head flushed in the toilet  ;D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/30/05 at 12:16 pm

and have it's head flushed in the toilet  ;D

I was thinking of that, too.

Cat

Written By: Zebra on 05/30/05 at 3:20 pm

My Fav is Zoe.
It's a name with a meaning: The Life.

Written By: Harmonica on 05/30/05 at 3:42 pm

From personal experience I'd say it'd be wise to remember that a baby don't stay a baby forever.  He or she will grow up. So naming your little one something "cute" will be nice for the first couple of years but when he/she gets older it'll be a pain.  Probably realize this, but a lot of people don't as you look at little kids with those cute little sesame street/Disney names that only get them made fun of or beat up as they get older.

Probably don't like what I had to say, never do anyway, so name your kid whatever you want.

peace out.

Written By: ChuckyG on 05/31/05 at 2:35 pm

How about "Jules"? :)

she ruled that one out too...

we've got it down to two choices... though I dislike the spelling of one, but it's acceptable.

Written By: Climber on 05/31/05 at 4:52 pm

she ruled that one out too...

we've got it down to two choices... though I dislike the spelling of one, but it's acceptable.

Now that's progress!  Two is better than several!  ;)

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 05/31/05 at 5:17 pm

I tend to like very unique names...ones that are not overused..etc....here are a few of my favorites:

Raven
Jayden
Morgan
Giovanni
Night
Arianna

Erin :)

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 05/31/05 at 6:01 pm

I like Skyler {For a boy}
Skye {For a girl}
and Aselin is kinda nice...

Hmm..there's more...can't think.

~Beth

Written By: Alchoholica on 05/31/05 at 6:03 pm

Raven

Scotty Flamingo Raven? LOL saadd.. wrestling trivia.

Florentyna is an outstanding name in my opinion.

And come on you could give the lad a fabulously gangsterish East End name.

Frank or Terry.

Alternativley.. who's your favourite sports player.

Mass right?

Manny D.  ;D

Written By: ChuckyG on 05/31/05 at 6:51 pm

Scotty Flamingo Raven? LOL saadd.. wrestling trivia.

Florentyna is an outstanding name in my opinion.

And come on you could give the lad a fabulously gangsterish East End name.

Frank or Terry.

Alternativley.. who's your favourite sports player.

Mass right?

Manny D.  ;D

I'm sure there will be a huge rash of kids born since last fall in the Boston area with names similar to those of the beloved 2004 Red Sox.  Except for the one who whined and cried and got traded.

I was pushing Bort... from the Simpsons, but the wife will have nothing to do with it.  Lenny Carl is also out of the question.

Written By: ktelqueen on 05/31/05 at 6:56 pm

I was pushing Bort... from the Simpsons, but the wife will have nothing to do with it.  Lenny Carl is also out of the question.

*psst* good! ...tee hee  ;D ;)

Written By: Alchoholica on 06/01/05 at 3:52 pm

I'm sure there will be a huge rash of kids born since last fall in the Boston area with names similar to those of the beloved 2004 Red Sox.  Except for the one who whined and cried and got traded.

Hasn't ruled out Frank or Terry though eh  ;D What about.. Andrew. That's an outstanding name.

Written By: Sugafairey on 06/02/05 at 2:57 pm

It is quite a big deal for me.

Written By: mrgazpacho on 06/03/05 at 1:02 pm

we've got it down to two choices...

Maybe you should make ambit claims with names you don't like, such as Adolf and Osama, so by the time you suggest something half-sensible, she'll jump at it! :D

... of course, you might end up with a son (or daughter! :o ) named Adolf or Osama, but you knew the risks ;D

Written By: ChuckyG on 06/21/06 at 8:21 am

I'm bumping this old thread, only for one reason.

I never said what the name we picked was!  Now, I'm sure most people on the site know by now, but if someone stumbles on this thread in the archive, they'll never see what was picked. 

Turns out we had a boy, so the choice of a girls name was not relevant (and the wife has even changed her mind, so if we have another it probably won't even get used).  She picked Racheal.  It's a pretty name, but also one of the most popular at the moment, which is why I disliked it.  I wanted a name that wasn't popular, but wasn't too weird either.

We picked Neal.  Nolan and Dale were a couple of the other close runner ups, but I have former co-workers with those first names, so that just seemed weird.  She loved Michael and Evan, but I knew a million Michaels growing up, and Evan is very trendy now, I bet his classes in school will be filled with Evans. 

Neal almost got nixed when I pointed out Neil Diamond has the same first name, but the wife pointed out she wanted the spelling with an A and that Neil Young is no less cool for sharing a first name with Neil Diamond.  There's actually a lot of famous people with the name Neil, not as many with the  Neal varient though.  It's also not as popular as it used to be, I think the US Census showed it lower than 50 for this year.  It also gives him cool initials, NRG (say the letters out loud), which perfectly fits him.  He never sits still. 

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 06/21/06 at 8:40 am

I'm bumping this old thread, only for one reason.

I never said what the name we picked was!  Now, I'm sure most people on the site know by now, but if someone stumbles on this thread in the archive, they'll never see what was picked. 

Turns out we had a boy, so the choice of a girls name was not relevant (and the wife has even changed her mind, so if we have another it probably won't even get used).  She picked Racheal.  It's a pretty name, but also one of the most popular at the moment, which is why I disliked it.  I wanted a name that wasn't popular, but wasn't too weird either.

We picked Neal.  Nolan and Dale were a couple of the other close runner ups, but I have former co-workers with those first names, so that just seemed weird.  She loved Michael and Evan, but I knew a million Michaels growing up, and Evan is very trendy now, I bet his classes in school will be filled with Evans. 

Neal almost got nixed when I pointed out Neil Diamond has the same first name, but the wife pointed out she wanted the spelling with an A and that Neil Young is no less cool for sharing a first name with Neil Diamond.  There's actually a lot of famous people with the name Neil, not as many with the  Neal varient though.  It's also not as popular as it used to be, I think the US Census showed it lower than 50 for this year.  It also gives him cool initials, NRG (say the letters out loud), which perfectly fits him.  He never sits still. 

that's a cool name Chucky! He's a cutie pie too! :)

Written By: Dominic L. on 06/21/06 at 10:45 am

Ya should've gone with a Zappa-esque name... How about Wizzle?

Written By: ChuckyG on 06/21/06 at 10:59 am

Ya should've gone with a Zappa-esque name... How about Wizzle?

The wife said I was always free to change my name if I liked some weird one.  Too often parents pick names for their kids so people will think they're adventurous or something, but the kid is the one who has to go through his life being called something lame like Paris.

Written By: Dominic L. on 06/21/06 at 11:03 am

The wife said I was always free to change my name if I liked some weird one.  Too often parents pick names for their kids so people will think they're adventurous or something, but the kid is the one who has to go through his life being called something lame like Paris.

The way I see it is the reason we have names is so we can be identified. If there are several people named John, then don't name your kid that. I don't think you should have to pick a name which has already been taken. And I don't see why people would tease others because of their name? I mean, first of all, it's not their fault, and second of all.. it's just a name. They think "Paris" sounds funny, well.. I think "Fred" sound funny!

Anyhow, yeah.. Paris is still pretty lame.

Check for new replies or respond here...