inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Songs That Contain Certain Noises

Written By: Indy Gent on 05/26/05 at 11:05 am

The most common being the female orgasm, which has been done to death in an older thread. I'm talking about noises like giggles, sighs, bawling, etc.

Example

Mark Knofler's giggling to "chimpanzee" in "Money For Nothing".
Jewel's sighing/tearing and the end of "Foolish Games"
Meri Wilson's (intentional?) gaffaws during "Telephone Man"
Gwen Stafani's panting during No Doubt's "Hellagood" (although that might be another example of the mentioned orgasm noise.)

Others?   :-\\

Subject: Re: Songs That Contain Certain Noises

Written By: QueenAmenRa on 05/26/05 at 11:42 am

Pink Floyd's entire Dark Side of the Moon album is FILLED with noises....or did u only mean noises the band members actually make w/ their mouth?  ???

Written By: Marty McFly on 05/26/05 at 12:04 pm

I'm sure I can think of tons later (I'll edit this when I do), but the one that instantly comes to mind is,

"Jungle Love" from Steve Miller - LOVE that intro, sounds like one of those 80's Space Invader-type video games. Since the song came out in '77, it was ahead of its time! ;D

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 05/26/05 at 12:06 pm

How about Donna Summer's hit, "Love To Love You Baby"... :o

Written By: QueenAmenRa on 05/26/05 at 12:07 pm

The sound of puffing on weed in Chingy & Snoop Dogg's "Holiday Inn"  (although I'm sure there's much more Snoop songs where u can hear that)

Written By: Apricot on 05/26/05 at 2:04 pm

The Unicorns do that all the time.

In their first song "I Don't Wanna Die", the vocalists make airplane noises at one point.

Written By: Billy Florio on 05/26/05 at 6:50 pm

The Unicorns do that all the time.

In their first song "I Don't Wanna Die", the vocalists make airplane noises at one point.

no ones gonna know the unicorns lol
...which reminds me...everyone buy Who's gonna cut our hair when we're gone or whatever its name is

"Time of the season" by the Zombies has that weird breathing in it (not sexual breathing lol)
For sexual breathing, lets turn to "Orgasm addict" by the Buzzcocks
"Time" by Pink Floyd has cookoo clocks in it
"Money" by Floyd has cash register sounds
"Heartbeat" by Annie has a drum beat meant to sound like a heart beating faster and faster
"Hells bells" by AC/DC has the sound of a bell ringing
"What time is it?" by the Jive Five incorperates the chiming of a clock into the song
"Another brick in the wall" has that hellicopter noise created by a Mini-Moog synth....as does "Jet Airliner" by Steve Miller and "Karn Evil #9" by ELP
"Bat out of hell" I beleive has a motorcycle noise in it...as does Billy Joel's "You may be right" (which also has the sound of broken glass in the begining)
"Sometimes a fantasy" by Billy Joel has a number of weird noises in it, including the dialing of a phone and heavy breathing (what do you want from a song about phone sex? lol)
"Hush" by Deep Purple has wolves barking in the begining
as does "Werewolves of London" at a certain point I think

Ill think of more

Written By: jiminy on 05/26/05 at 8:37 pm

Smoke Two Joints - Sublime, the sound of bong hits     :D

Written By: Tanya1976 on 05/26/05 at 11:45 pm

"Nasty Girl" by Vanity 6 (the uncut version)

Tanya

Written By: Sammy Reed on 05/27/05 at 10:02 am

How about this "strange noise" that's been right under our nose? We all have probably heard it at some time or other.
    Some examples: That noise heard repeatedly during the theme of "Hawaii 5-0" is probably the example that sticks out in my mind more. Also, it's heard in "Green Tambourine" and a few easy-listening songs. I think it's heard once in the theme of "Fresh Prince". There are other places this has been heard.
    In case you're wondering what the heck that is, it's called a vibraslap. Here's a link to a page from Latin Percussion, the makers of the Vibra-Slap, about the instrument.
http://www.lpmusic.com/Product_Showcase/Sound_Effects/lp_vibraslaps_II.html
It should be stressed that just about anywhere you can buy them, they're a heck of a lot cheaper than the "list prices" stated here.

Written By: Powerslave on 05/27/05 at 10:22 am

I believe a lot of the suggestions here so far shouldn't count because Indy asked about

noises like giggles, sighs, bawling, etc

ie, noises made by the artist/singer, not samples of bells ringing or planes flying over. Billy mentioned "Werewolves of London". Zevon howls in that. I can't think of anything else right now though.  :)

Written By: QueenAmenRa on 05/27/05 at 11:52 am

Then how about "Una Furtiva Lagrima" ?  Any tenor performing that song has to make a crying noise  :\'(

Written By: NullandVoid on 05/27/05 at 4:44 pm

Are You that Somebody? by Aaliyah has a baby cooing on the chorus and bridge. I love that song :)

Written By: Paul on 05/27/05 at 5:09 pm

The Goons' amazing 'Ying Tong Song' is the only song I know where there is a very prominent 'raspberry' solo...!!

Written By: QueenAmenRa on 05/27/05 at 5:24 pm

Are You that Somebody? by Aaliyah has a baby cooing on the chorus and bridge. I love that song :)

Oh yeah I remember that!

DMX- "X Gonna Give it To Ya"  he barks like a dog  (probly not the only song like that)

Written By: Mergal on 05/28/05 at 6:02 am

Caribbean Queen---Billie Ocean (Whistling)
Sea Cruise---Frankie ?  (Has all these boat sounds. A fun song btw)
Yellow Submarine---The Beatles (Hear noises of a submarine)

Written By: Billy Florio on 05/28/05 at 12:31 pm

Frankie Ford

Written By: Paul on 05/28/05 at 5:50 pm

Was Frankie Ford as Billy's just told us...

Those boat noises came straight off a sound effect record, which the producer dubbed on at the last minute to give the song more of a punch...

Same thing with 'Western Movies' by The Olympics (but with gunshot...)

Written By: Bobby on 05/28/05 at 5:52 pm

The car driving off in 'In the summertime' by Mungo Jerry.

Written By: Dumb Ass Kid on 05/28/05 at 6:21 pm

In the Kaiser Cheifs' current hit "Everyday I Love You Less And Less", for no apparent reason they just start squalling at the top of their voices in the middle of the song. Wtf? Funny in the vid, though because they're all in this cafe, and one by one they all stand up and start screaming, then sit down again as if nothing unusual or retarded had taken place  ;D

Written By: Mergal on 05/28/05 at 6:26 pm

1812 Overture---Tchaikovsky (cannon balls and bells)
Lollipop---Chordettes (sucking noise)
Remember (Walking In the Sand)----The Shangri-Las (seagulls)
Rhythm of the Rain---Cascades (thunder)
The Boys of Summber---Don Henley (seagulls)
The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance---Gene Pitney (shot guns)

Written By: Dumb Ass Kid on 05/28/05 at 6:27 pm

Eminem - My name is. I remember distinctly in one part where he raps "chased him with a stapler" and in the background, there's someone doing an impression of the noise a stapler makes. wierd  :D

Written By: Bobby on 05/28/05 at 8:17 pm

The clacking of a type-writer on Dolly Parton's '9-5'.

Written By: AL-B on 05/28/05 at 8:26 pm

I always liked the sound of the car peeling out and rumbling off into the distance at the end of "Moving Out" by Billy Joel.

Check for new replies or respond here...