inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Planning a first trip to Disney World...anyone have advice/suggestions?

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 06/05/05 at 7:38 pm

Hey guys..

Chris and I decided that he and I are going to take a trip to Disney World in Florida next spring/summer.  We have never been to Florida or Disney and neither of us has ever flown...this will be the first for many things....

I know we have a lot of time to plan...but I was wondering if any of you have already been there recently...have any suggestions, ideas, advice...anything that will make our trip easier, less expensive, and most of all FUN???

Thanks a bunch!

Erin :)

Subject: Re: Planning a first trip to Disney World...anyone have advice/suggestions?

Written By: Apricot on 06/05/05 at 7:40 pm

Pack your own lunch... whilst down there, go to a grocery store and buy your crap. In the parks, you really WILL BE molested by the prices. It's INSANE. THREE BLOODY DOLLARS FOR A SMALL SODA. It was FIVE BUCKS for a Cinnabon. RAPE.

Subject: Re: Planning a first trip to Disney World...anyone have advice/suggestions?

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 06/05/05 at 7:41 pm

thanks apricot! Ya, Beth and my parents went to Universal a couple of years ago...and I DO remember them telling me how ridiculous the food/drink prices were.

Written By: Apricot on 06/05/05 at 7:43 pm

For:

Thrills, But Still For The Chigins To Enjoy: Islands of Adventure
Culture, Smartnesseses, Overall Arse-Kickery: Epcot.. Japan there ROCKS! But if you get even the slightest bit Claustrophobic or have even the slightest motion sickness, AVOID MISSION SPACE. It ruined my whole day, because I became so violently ill. If you DO get sick: Eat at Germany. The Sauerkraut, like it or not, is a great remedy for motion sickness.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 06/05/05 at 7:45 pm

have you been to Universal? They said that it was really cool there...if so, what was your favorite ride there?

Written By: C.NOIZE on 06/05/05 at 7:45 pm

Culture, Smartnesseses, Overall Arse-Kickery: Epcot.. Japan there ROCKS! But if you get even the slightest bit Claustrophobic or have even the slightest motion sickness, AVOID MISSION SPACE. It ruined my whole day, because I became so violently ill. If you DO get sick: Eat at Germany. The Sauerkraut, like it or not, is a great remedy for motion sickness.

That was my post you thief!  (Except for the Japan part.  Germany is so much better!)

Written By: Apricot on 06/05/05 at 7:48 pm

have you been to Universal? They said that it was really cool there...if so, what was your favorite ride there?

I have.. it ain't that great.

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 06/05/05 at 8:41 pm

Hey guys..

Chris and I decided that he and I are going to take a trip to Disney World in Florida next spring/summer.  We have never been to Florida or Disney and neither of us has ever flown...this will be the first for many things....

I know we have a lot of time to plan...but I was wondering if any of you have already been there recently...have any suggestions, ideas, advice...anything that will make our trip easier, less expensive, and most of all FUN???

Thanks a bunch!

Fun, you say?

...Take Bethany  :)

~Beth :D

Written By: RockandRollFan on 06/05/05 at 8:52 pm

Sorry Erin, I've only been to Disneyland in California...waaaay back in 1970 :D

Written By: Marty McFly on 06/05/05 at 9:09 pm

Sorry Erin, I've only been to Disneyland in California...waaaay back in 1970 :D

Same with me - actually I was there twice.

First in January '86 (which was fun - I was 4!) then again in 1998 with some HS friends (we drove down on Christmas break. I remember I kept walking around, trying to remember where I'd been 12 years earlier and reminiscing like Doc Brown. ;D

But...to the point (Hehe), I think you guys will enjoy it in general. No matter how old I ever get, I'll always love places like that. Like Apricot said, I'd totally buy snacks, etc. from elsewhere. ;)

Don't be ashamed of never having flown before. I flew all the time as a kid, but I was more an exception (my parents had alot of money in the 80's, so we often went on trips to see the family in Florida -- yet I've still never been to Disney World! -- and Hawaii, just for vacation). However, since 1990 I've only done it twice, so I'm far less used to it now.

Where do you guys live? If it's within, say 500 miles, I might recommend driving. I always actually thought that was a much more "fun" way to travel - the Griswolds adventures are an exaggeration most of the time! :D

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 06/05/05 at 10:52 pm

Same with me - actually I was there twice.

First in January '86 (which was fun - I was 4!) then again in 1998 with some HS friends (we drove down on Christmas break. I remember I kept walking around, trying to remember where I'd been 12 years earlier and reminiscing like Doc Brown. ;D

But...to the point (Hehe), I think you guys will enjoy it in general. No matter how old I ever get, I'll always love places like that. Like Apricot said, I'd totally buy snacks, etc. from elsewhere. ;)

Don't be ashamed of never having flown before. I flew all the time as a kid, but I was more an exception (my parents had alot of money in the 80's, so we often went on trips to see the family in Florida -- yet I've still never been to Disney World! -- and Hawaii, just for vacation). However, since 1990 I've only done it twice, so I'm far less used to it now.

Where do you guys live? If it's within, say 500 miles, I might recommend driving. I always actually thought that was a much more "fun" way to travel - the Griswolds adventures are an exaggeration most of the time! :D

well...we live in Pennsylvania....so, it would probably be more worthwhile to fly down so that we can have more than like 2 days to spend down there....beings that we are only planning on taking a week or so vacation.  I usually LOVE the trip driving anywhere..but Florida..eh, that's a bit far!

Written By: JamieMcBain on 06/05/05 at 11:09 pm

Don't drink or eat before going on Space Moutain....  ::)

And check out The Pirates of Carribean ride, it's a great ride to go on.

Written By: Kenlos on 06/06/05 at 1:40 am

Bring sun screen, money, good walking shoes, and a fun attitude and you should be in good shape.  Also if you get a chance you should check out the Universal parks I found I actually enjoy those more than Magic Kingdom.  Islands Of Adventure was really good, the river raft ride there is great if you like those kinds of rides.  Magic Kingdom is geared more towards kids where parks like Universal Studios and Islands of Adventure have more for the adults, though they are pretty good for kids too.

Also if your going to be there a couple days you might want to look at some of the multi-day passes they have which could save you some money.  I live here in Orlando and have been to just about all the parks here atleast once in the last year so I can probably answer just about any question you might have.

Written By: karen on 06/06/05 at 9:02 am

We went with our six year old daughter and three year old son in February.

There's a really good guide book with lots of tips for routes within the park to get on the decent rides without huge queues.  Mainly getting there early and practically running across the park to one of the popular rides on the far side so you beat the crowds.  I try and remeber to find out the name of it for you.

James will tell you that he liked Pirates of the Carribean now but the darkness scared him at the time, likewise with the Winnie the Pooh ride.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 06/06/05 at 9:24 am

thanks for all of the advice guys! I really appreciate it!

On this trip, Chris and I will be going alone..because we never really had a honeymoon....so my parents are going to watch Vaughn for us!!  We want to wait until he is a little bit older to take him...since he's only 3 right now.

Check for new replies or respond here...