inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Who has no idea what's going on with reality tv?

Written By: annamommynous on 06/09/05 at 10:17 pm

I, myself, am willing ignorant just to stop the topic in a conversation.

Subject: Re: Who has no idea what's going on with reality tv?

Written By: annamommynous on 06/09/05 at 10:26 pm

I am replying to myself because I am a dolt! I just reminded myself of the party scene in "Heathers" where the frat guy says "Aren't you tired of people always asking what's your major? ...So, what is your area of study?"

That's not an actual quote, of course, but you get the idea.

Written By: Marty McFly on 06/10/05 at 1:38 am

^ LOL. :)

Well, if we're talking about RTV in general, I'd say it's past its peak slightly, but still mostly going strong. Seeing how the industry is going "slower" these days (2005 is basically an updated 1999/2000), it'll probably lose steam around 2007, with just a few shows left, and less "new" ones starting.

By the end of the "00's" it'll probably be gone. I'd be amazed if it lasted into 2010 at all.

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 06/10/05 at 2:55 am

I am replying to this thread because I am also a dolt.  ::)

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 06/10/05 at 8:29 am

most reality TV sucks.....everything starts looking the same...and they are grasping at topics now...pretty lame-o

Erin :)

Written By: jiminy on 06/10/05 at 8:32 am

the eating gross stuff is way over used, if they are going to eat something gross at least put them in a 5 star restaurant and serve it to them while they are wearing formal attire  :D

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 06/10/05 at 8:33 am

ya, I think they have already eaten everything there is gross to eat (bugs, animal insides, junk all mixed together in a blender) UG!

Erin :)

Written By: Howard on 06/10/05 at 4:08 pm

I don't keep up with Reality TV that much anymore. ::)

Written By: Marty McFly on 06/10/05 at 5:53 pm

I don't keep up with Reality TV that much anymore. ::)

Yeah, I stopped after the first season of Survivor - I got too attached to the Pagong Tribe, LOL. ;)

Written By: Kyle on 06/10/05 at 6:16 pm

^ LOL. :)

Well, if we're talking about RTV in general, I'd say it's past its peak slightly, but still mostly going strong. Seeing how the industry is going "slower" these days (2005 is basically an updated 1999/2000), it'll probably lose steam around 2007, with just a few shows left, and less "new" ones starting.

By the end of the "00's" it'll probably be gone. I'd be amazed if it lasted into 2010 at all.

Ditto, but I do have a feeling that it might comeback by around 2009-2012, but it's not gonna be as strong to what it was in 2002. :D

Written By: annamommynous on 06/10/05 at 6:41 pm

What do you think will be the new "reality?" Sex, surgery and eating yuckky things are so passe!

Written By: Bobby on 06/10/05 at 6:45 pm

The only pure 'Reality TV' would be if people were in a house not knowing the cameras were switched on them. Everyone knows when a camera is involved, reality seems to go out of the window.  ;D

Written By: annamommynous on 06/10/05 at 6:54 pm

I twould be very exciting. No one wearing make-up or sucking in their guts. Watching people watch people on TV. Wow! It would really suck.

Written By: Marty McFly on 06/10/05 at 7:00 pm

Ditto, but I do have a feeling that it might comeback by around 2009-2012, but it's not gonna be as strong to what it was in 2002. :D

Good point - I guess it could get a "rebirth" of sorts in the 10's. ;)

Just like how, to me the 80's were "the 70's with a huge makeover" (feel free to quote me on that too! :D), I could see the 2010's trying to "update" the late 90's/2000's styles.

Written By: Dumb Ass Kid on 06/10/05 at 7:07 pm

reality tv here in the UK hit an all-time low recently with the abomination that was 'Celebrity Love Island' (Yes, it is as bad as the name suggests). how anyone can sit for 3 weeks and watch z-list nobodies sit and waffle on about who fancies who is beyond me. What made it worse is they got Kelly Brooke to present it. Seriously, it would have had more appeal if they'd got a mop to present it

Written By: annamommynous on 06/10/05 at 7:14 pm

Good point - I guess it could get a "rebirth" of sorts in the 10's. ;)

Just like how, to me the 80's were "the 70's with a huge makeover" (feel free to quote me on that too! :D), I could see the 2010's trying to "update" the late 90's/2000's styles.

I have to dispute that the 80's were the 70's with a make-over. The 70's were so f-ing sick - all that facial hair and polyester fibers! Yuck!! The 80's were much better than the 70's with a slipcover.

Written By: Marty McFly on 06/10/05 at 7:31 pm

I have to dispute that the 80's were the 70's with a make-over. The 70's were so f-ing sick - all that facial hair and polyester fibers! Yuck!! The 80's were much better than the 70's with a slipcover.

True, I know Disco and some other things got a HUGE backlash starting around '82. I can see why people made fun of some 70's styles! ;D

I was more thinking of, say alot of 70's artists "revamping" their sound and getting on MTV and the like.

Written By: annamommynous on 06/10/05 at 7:34 pm

True, I know Disco and some other things got a HUGE backlash starting around '82. I can see why people made fun of some 70's styles! ;D

I was more thinking of, say alot of 70's artists "revamping" their sound and getting on MTV and the like.

Thank you for the clarification! Yeah, that totally sucked. What was up with Styx? I wish Aerosmith would quit "coming back" - they were great the first and second times.

Written By: Marty McFly on 06/10/05 at 7:40 pm

Thank you for the clarification! Yeah, that totally sucked. What was up with Styx? I wish Aerosmith would quit "coming back" - they were great the first and second times.

Yeah - I mean, on one hand, Steve seems like a pretty cool guy, and I give the band credit for being in their mid 50's yet still somewhat "relevant" today.

But, in 10 years it's just gonna be like the Rolling Stones (another good band for their music, but I have to agree when people say they should retire).

I got to know them from their first comeback when I was 10 or so (early 90's) - I still love "Janie's Got a Gun". "Dude looks like a Lady", etc.

Written By: annamommynous on 06/10/05 at 7:47 pm

Yeah - I mean, on one hand, Steve seems like a pretty cool guy, and I give the band credit for being in their mid 50's yet still somewhat "relevant" today.

But, in 10 years it's just gonna be like the Rolling Stones (another good band for their music, but I have to agree when people say they should retire).

I got to know them from their first comeback when I was 10 or so (early 90's) - I still love "Janie's Got a Gun". "Dude looks like a Lady", etc.

I was talking to my DH the other day about that same thing...he's 8 years older than me so he knows all the music when it first appeared. And I know it when it "came back." Like Starship (stifled gag) was Jefferson Airplane? Ozzy was in a band called Black Sabbath? Really?

Check for new replies or respond here...