inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Ok, there are lots of people seeking entertainment - I'll ask you a question..

Written By: annamommynous on 06/10/05 at 7:31 pm

Is there a movie/book/song that really touched you?

Movie:  I will confess - mine was "Pretty in Pink." Totally shallow and lame, right? Good movie (ok movie) - not life-changing you say. So what I say - l love it and that's that.

Book: "Slapstick" by Kurt Vonnegut. My first taste of Vonnegut. I love him to.

Song: so many I cannot name.

Subject: Re: Ok, there are lots of people seeking entertainment - I'll ask you a question..

Written By: Dumb Ass Kid on 06/10/05 at 7:33 pm

Is there a movie/book/song that really touched you?

Movie:  I will confess - mine was "Pretty in Pink." Totally shallow and lame, right? Good movie (ok movie) - not life-changing you say. So what I say - l love it and that's that.

Book: "Slapstick" by Kurt Vonnegut. My first taste of Vonnegut. I love him to.

Song: so many I cannot name.

Cool idea for a thread, Anna!  8)
Movie: dunno what it was called, but it was about these kids who endured years of abuse from their mam's boyfriend, and then one day they flew away (random)

Book: Not a reader, unfortunately...

Song: Same as Anna, too many to name

Subject: Re: Ok, there are lots of people seeking entertainment - I'll ask you a question..

Written By: annamommynous on 06/10/05 at 7:35 pm

Cool idea for a thread, Anna!  8)
Movie: dunno what it was called, but it was about these kids who endured years of abuse from their mam's boyfriend, and then one day they flew away (random)

Book: Not a reader, unfortunately...

Song: Same as Anna, too many to name

Anna is my daughter. I was gonna be an Anna, but I'm stuck with Rachel.

Written By: Dumb Ass Kid on 06/10/05 at 7:36 pm

Anna is my daughter. I was gonna be an Anna, but I'm stuck with Rachel.

I dunno, I just abbreviated annamommynous as i didn't feel much like typing out a 13 letter word everytime I wanted to speak to you!  ;D
Rachel it is, then  :)

Written By: Marty McFly on 06/10/05 at 7:36 pm

Cool thread. :)

Movie: The BTTF's (obviously!). I've always been the type to want to do something over again, to see how my town used to look, or how people were in the past. Strikes a chord with me on many personal levels.

There's others, but too many to name in a short span of time.

Same with books and songs (for books, I most like either biographies/non-fiction-type stories - for songs, I like alot, but nothing beats 80's pop-rock!). :)

Written By: annamommynous on 06/10/05 at 7:37 pm

I dunno, I just abbreviated annamommynous as i didn't feel much like typing out a 13 letter word everytime I wanted to speak to you!  ;D
Rachel it is, then  :)

I totally dig. I pick the most horrendous handles for email and whatever. It's just too much!!

Written By: Dumb Ass Kid on 06/10/05 at 7:39 pm

I totally dig. I pick the most horrendous handles for email and whatever. It's just too much!!

lol, i'm gonna have to get used to all these american terms! 'dig' just means excavate over here  :D

Written By: annamommynous on 06/10/05 at 7:41 pm

I can dig the BTTF thing (dig is my new word). I visit places I used to live and people I used to know in my dreams. I check up on things. I also am constantly amazed at life - wheels within wheels within wheels. The butterfly effect - not the Ashton Kutcher film - how one  little thing can set off a chain reaction.

Cool thread. :)

Movie: The BTTF's (obviously!). I've always been the type to want to do something over again, to see how my town used to look, or how people were in the past. Strikes a chord with me on many personal levels.

There's others, but too many to name in a short span of time.

Same with books and songs (for books, I most like either biographies/non-fiction-type stories - for songs, I like alot, but nothing beats 80's pop-rock!). :)

Written By: Marty McFly on 06/10/05 at 7:42 pm

lol, i'm gonna have to get used to all these american terms! 'dig' just means excavate over here :D

Heh, I like British slang. :)

Actually "dig" started in the late 60's, if I'm not mistaken - just meaning you're into something (eg: "I dig that car, man!") but it's lasted a pretty long time - people still say it today. :)

Written By: annamommynous on 06/10/05 at 7:42 pm

lol, i'm gonna have to get used to all these american terms! 'dig' just means excavate over here  :D

To be honest, I think I'm the only one using it! Not that I am soooo cool, but sooo behind on the lingo. It's easier to type than "understand" - ooo, I could say "savvy!" Yes, that's it!

Written By: Marty McFly on 06/10/05 at 7:45 pm

I can dig the BTTF thing (dig is my new word). I visit places I used to live and people I used to know in my dreams. I check up on things. I also am constantly amazed at life - wheels within wheels within wheels. The butterfly effect - not the Ashton Kutcher film - how one  little thing can set off a chain reaction.

Yeah, even as early as, say 1992, I started getting nostalgic for where we used to live, etc (we moved around alot when I was a kid).

PS: I like how the "BttF universe" seems to have a way of trying to keep the new history on track (the newspapers even change, etc!), but if time travel really does exist, I bet it would be alot more confusing than that! ;)

Written By: annamommynous on 06/10/05 at 7:49 pm

Yeah, even as early as, say 1992, I started getting nostalgic for where we used to live, etc (we moved around alot when I was a kid).

PS: I like how the "BttF universe" seems to have a way of trying to keep the new history on track (the newspapers even change, etc!), but if time travel really does exist, I bet it would be alot more confusing than that! ;)

It would be so confusing that I don't even know what! There's a great short story ( 8 pages) by Ray Bradbury called "A Sound of Thunder" ( I think it's a movie this summer) that addresses that. If you haven't you should. I think you would dig it!

Written By: Marty McFly on 06/10/05 at 7:55 pm

It would be so confusing that I don't even know what! There's a great short story ( 8 pages) by Ray Bradbury called "A Sound of Thunder" ( I think it's a movie this summer) that addresses that. If you haven't you should. I think you would dig it!

Sounds cool - I'll check into that. :)

I've actually read some of Bradbury's stuff (it was years ago, so now I forget what) and enjoyed it.

Written By: annamommynous on 06/10/05 at 8:00 pm

Sounds cool - I'll check into that. :)

I've actually read some of Bradbury's stuff (it was years ago, so now I forget what) and enjoyed it.

How about DUNE?

Written By: Marty McFly on 06/10/05 at 8:03 pm

How about DUNE?

I've seen the movie of that on TV - never read the book, though.

It seems to have been set FAR into the future, if I recall correctly. I always have been fascinated in stuff like that.

Written By: annamommynous on 06/10/05 at 8:07 pm

I've seen the movie of that on TV - never read the book, though.

It seems to have been set FAR into the future, if I recall correctly. I always have been fascinated in stuff like that.

You know, I was never sure if it was far into the future or far into the past - like the human race de-evolved. I get confused. Anyway, it's complexwith a lot of technology, bio technology, religion, politics, and many plots - I only get 20% of it, but it's a good story. But it's so looooong!!!

Written By: Marty McFly on 06/10/05 at 8:16 pm

You know, I was never sure if it was far into the future or far into the past - like the human race de-evolved. I get confused. Anyway, it's complexwith a lot of technology, bio technology, religion, politics, and many plots - I only get 20% of it, but it's a good story. But it's so looooong!!!

Yeah, I think it's over 3 hours - which even with today's frequent 2-hour or more movies is still "long", but for 1984 that must've been REALLY long, lol.

It could've been either, too, which was interesting. I'd still side with the future - like maybe the year 90,000 AD or something -- so far that technology regressed a bit perhaps?

Written By: Jennifer028 on 06/11/05 at 12:27 am

My hubby has that movie "Dune" on dvd and I think another called "Children of Dune"...yuk, not my kind of thing  :P

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/11/05 at 8:29 am

Movie:  Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb

Book: Adolf Hitler, My Part In His Downfall by Spike Milligan

Song: Father And Son by Cat Stevens

Written By: Bobby on 06/11/05 at 1:01 pm

These have touched me.  :)

Movie: A tie between 'Proof' and 'The Elephant Man'

Book: 1984 by George Orwell has influenced me a lot

Song: Most definitely 'Never thought' by Dan Hill.  8)

Check for new replies or respond here...