inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Brushes with greatness - celebrity sightings and near-misses

Written By: annamommynous on 06/17/05 at 9:07 pm

1. Donny and Marie were in my house.

Subject: Re: Brushes with greatness - celebrity sightings and near-misses

Written By: annamommynous on 06/17/05 at 9:09 pm

2. I sold a vacuum to Molly Ringwald.

Written By: Apricot on 06/17/05 at 9:11 pm

Wow.. sadly, though, I got nothing.. although I did once see Michael Jordan in person.

Written By: annamommynous on 06/17/05 at 9:13 pm

Wow.. sadly, though, I got nothing.. although I did once see Michael Jordan in person.

Michael Jordan is cool. What else can I say - he never did anything wrong.

Written By: annamommynous on 06/17/05 at 9:14 pm

This is actually a boring thread. I apologize, but now I can not delete it.

Written By: Apricot on 06/17/05 at 9:17 pm

This is actually a boring thread. I apologize, but now I can not delete it.

Yeah, I think you can. Or at least lock it.

It's not boring, it's just that not many people are currently online and not many people have brushes with fame.  :)

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 06/17/05 at 9:19 pm

ok...let's see...

I met Lou Farrigno (the guy who played the Incredible Hulk on TV...the green one) in Ohio. My dad was running a marathon, and they just so happened to be having a weight lifting championship the same weekend.  We saw him coming out of the hotel and my mom runs up to him and says, "Excuse me, are you Lou Farrigno?"....and he replied, "yes". He was really friendly.

Erin :)

Written By: annamommynous on 06/17/05 at 9:23 pm

ok...let's see...

I met Lou Farrigno (the guy who played the Incredible Hulk on TV...the green one) in Ohio. My dad was running a marathon, and they just so happened to be having a weight lifting championship the same weekend.  We saw him coming out of the hotel and my mom runs up to him and says, "Excuse me, are you Lou Farrigno?"....and he replied, "yes". He was really friendly.

That's cool! I wanna meet the Hulk!

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 06/17/05 at 9:25 pm

oh....another one...

when I was like 5 or so...we were at the mall to see Richard Simmons, he was a featured speaker in the center court.  There were TONS of people there to see him.  When he was finished talking, he started walking out, heading our way.  He walked past us, then quickly turned around, came back and said hello to me and patted me on my head....and then turned around and continued leaving.

Written By: Bobby on 06/17/05 at 9:26 pm

I met Jake 'The Snake' Roberts (WWF wrestling).

Written By: Marty McFly on 06/17/05 at 10:06 pm

I met a few BTTF celebs - I could tell a story, but knowing me that would take about 30 paragraphs and a few hours!! ;D

Plus I don't wanna feel like it's "bragging" - that would make me feel guilty.

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 06/17/05 at 11:21 pm

Errmm...I saw the lady in the Shop-n-Save commercials.....::shrugs::

~Beth

Written By: C.NOIZE on 06/17/05 at 11:29 pm

Errmm...I saw the lady in the Shop-n-Save commercials.....::shrugs::

~Beth

That reminded me...my great-grandma used to know one of the ladies in the "Where's the Meat?" commercials.

Also, my grandparents met Jean Stapleton once.  I don't recall meeting anyone famous, except maybe Mickey Mouse at Disney World.  :D

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 06/17/05 at 11:33 pm

That reminded me...my great-grandma used to know one of the ladies in the "Where's the Meat?" commercials.

Also, my grandparents met Jean Stapleton once.  I don't recall meeting anyone famous, except maybe Mickey Mouse at Disney World.  :D

Your great-grandma KNEW Clara Peller?!?!?!? That's AWESOME!!

~Beth

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 06/17/05 at 11:34 pm

Oh..you said one of the ladies....I read that wrong. BUT STILL!!!!

~Beth :D

Written By: ADH13 on 06/17/05 at 11:36 pm

I was in an elevator with Annie Potts... they were filming some movie in Reno with her & Jason Bateman, but I didn't even recognize her because I never watched Designing Women.  After we got off the elevator, my very shy cousin was like "Do you know who that was??"

Written By: C.NOIZE on 06/17/05 at 11:40 pm

Your great-grandma KNEW Clara Peller?!?!?!? That's AWESOME!!

~Beth

Well, I don't know if that's true or not; it's just what I've always been told.  By the time I came around, she was REALLY forgetful, and never said anything about it in my presence.

And I made a mistake in my previous post:  It's "Where's the BEEF?", not "Where's the MEAT?"

Written By: Marty McFly on 06/17/05 at 11:46 pm

Well, I don't know if that's true or not; it's just what I've always been told. By the time I came around, she was REALLY forgetful, and never said anything about it in my presence.

And I made a mistake in my previous post: It's "Where's the BEEF?", not "Where's the MEAT?"

Close enough, LOL!

Anyway, even the idea of that is pretty cool! I saw a bit on "Where's the beef?" on I love the 80's 1984 episode (my personal favorite year of all time!). Apparently Clara Peller died in '87, but I think her claim to fame will be around forever!

Written By: jiminy on 06/18/05 at 12:07 am

I met Keanu Reeves in Savannah, Ga while he was filming the movie, The Gift

Glen Danzig ex-lead singer of The Misfits and his own band Danzig in Atlanta at the Dragon Con

Galder, Silenoz and Nick from the band Dimmu Borgir at a concert in Atlanta

Written By: ADH13 on 06/18/05 at 12:24 am

I met Keanu Reeves in Savannah, Ga while he was filming the movie, The Gift

did you know he had a band?  I saw him in a club in SF with his band Dogstar many years ago.  They were awful but they still sold out just because so many people wanted to see him.

Written By: Climber on 06/18/05 at 12:34 am

did you know he had a band?  I saw him in a club in SF with his band Dogstar many years ago.  They were awful but they still sold out just because so many people wanted to see him.

In 1985, I met the Bassist of Survivor, Stephan Ellis.  They were doing a couple concerts at Riverfest in St. Paul, MN.  He was actually walking around the grounds alone.  No mob of people either.  I got a picture and an autograph.
I also saw Christian Slater at a mall in Minneapolis when he was filming the movie Untamed Heart.  They were doing mall scenes, and I was standing at the top of the escalator when he came up.  Someone that knew I was there claimed they saw me on the escalator in one of the scenes of the movie.  I tried to check, but the scene goes by so quickly that you can hardly see who's on there besides Christian Slater and Marissa Tomei.  Who knows?

Written By: MooRocca on 06/18/05 at 2:06 am

I've met 3 of the Monkees -  Micky, Davy & Peter (in that order) Used to chat with Micky on IRC, once upon a long time ago... nice guy & very smart.  :)

I filmed a commercial with Wendy the Snapple Lady. 

I've also met:

Webb Wilder - we got so caught up in the conversation we were having the venue manager had to come tell him he was late for his second set.  He's a very interesting, intelligent, well-spoken man. 

Les James Lester (drummer for Webb, Los Straightjackets and subs for The Commonwealth once in a blue moon) 

Scott Miller (foremerly of The V-Roys, currently of Scott Miller & The Commonwealth who are the house band for the Blue Collar television series.)

Eddie Angel (Los Straightjackets) 

Danny Amos (Los Straightjackets)

James Lee Stanley (musician, indie label owner, portrayed a Klingon on DS9 & wrote the score for the Cathy tv cartoons.)

Gary Tallent (used to bump into him, LITERALLY, at the Nashville Tower store every time I was there.)

Joey Molland & Joey Molland's drummer (whose name escapes me at the moment, but he was a really nice and very funny guy.)

Kreskin (At the state fair when I was a little kid)

I'm 99.9% sure I shot the breeze with Reese Witherspoon while shopping in Nashville, once, a couple of years or more before I had a clue who she was.  (The first time I saw her on TV, I was flipping through channels and she was being interviewed... I was like, "Hey I've met her, I wonder why she's being interviewed!"  She was making small talk with whoever the host was, by the time I tuned in, so it was several minutes before it was clear that she was on because she's famous.   

Chuck Negron (formerly of 3 Dog Night)

DJ Qualls (actor) is from hubby's hometown, so we've seen him around, several times, when we've been there... I don't think I've ever talked to him, though.

Hubby and I are very good friends with banjo player Tommy Thompson's (sessionman &  formerly of Area Code 615) step son... I never got to meet Tommy, but his step son is a really great guy.

Emmy Lou Harris' daughter (she worked with a good friend of hubby's in one of our fave Nashville shops)  (If that counts as a near-miss)

Dutch Mantell (wrestler) (or someone who could have been his clone, the guy didn't intro himself) - we were out dancing at a club he was at and he invited us and a ton of other people back to his place for a post-closing-time party (We didn't go.)

Neither of us has ever actually met him, but my husband is related to Merle Haggard.  (Like 3rd or 4th cousins or somesuch.) 

I've seen Viscera (formerly Mabel -- pro wrestler) out and about in Nashville too many times to count... never talked to him, that I can remember.

I saw Ric Flair and The Big Boss Man  (both pro-wresters) in a North Carolina airport, once.  Flair was in a wheelchair, at the time & Boss Man was pushing it for him.

I shared a flight with former Fighting Illini coach Lou Henson, once.

Passed on an opportunity to meet the members of Cheap Trick (I was feeling ill and had to leave. :( )

Was supposed to get to meet and hang out with Rod Stewart YEARS ago, but he never made it to the gig because he had taken ill.   

I almost got run over by Richard Simmons' limo when I was a kid (another state fair encounter.) 

I've spoken with musician/producer/historian Andrew Sandoval and with grammy award winning composer/producer Stu Phillips in e-mail, a few times, but have never had the pleasure of meeting either in person.  (I'm not worthy, anyway!) 

I'm probably forgetting someone, but that's all I can remember, right now.   (Hubby's list would be a lot longer and more impressive than mine because he worked in the industry in Nashville for a couple of years back before I knew him. )

Written By: Cait Sith on 06/18/05 at 2:35 am

I almost had a chance to see Gary Barlow, and glad I didn't see him. Saw Jake 'The Snake' Roberts once in action...and I've met Matt Redman and Tim and Pete Hughes...I'll be surprised if anyone knows who these people are

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 06/18/05 at 2:59 am

I was in a lift at the Tube stn. and inches away from the great actress GLENDA JACKSON - and saw the funny Comedian/Ornithologist/TV presenter BILL ODDIE loading his car outside his house - and the Thespian actress - EMMA THOMPSON
I saw Comedian/Actor/Singer - ALEXEI SAYLE

Striding along outside the Houses of Parliament was x Olympic athlete and now MP.  - SEBASTIAN COE and snooty snob Art Critic - BRIAN SEWELL at a Radio show recording.  All in London.

Many more I can't recount now.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/18/05 at 3:17 am

I was in a lift at the Tube stn. and inches away from the great actress GLENDA JACKSON - and saw the funny Comedian/Ornithologist/TV presenter BILL ODDIE loading his car outside his house - and the Thespian actress - EMMA THOMPSON
I saw Comedian/Actor/Singer - ALEXEI SAYLE

Striding along outside the Houses of Parliament was x Olympic athlete and now MP.  - SEBASTIAN COE and snooty snob Art Critic - BRIAN SEWELL at a Radio show recording.  All in London.

Many more I can't recount now.

It is the same with me, I have been to many radio recording.

But, Sandi Toksvig always greets me first, whenever we met up.

Written By: gemini61 on 06/18/05 at 5:21 am

Ok, I didn't meet him, but my daughter met Ty Pennington from Trading Spaces. 

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/18/05 at 6:24 am

I keep seeing Ruby Wax too.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 06/18/05 at 11:01 pm

Ok, I didn't meet him, but my daughter met Ty Pennington from Trading Spaces. 

Ty seems like he would be so nice, was he?  He's pretty cute too!

Written By: tv on 06/18/05 at 11:35 pm

I met O.J. Anderson(former Running back for the NY Giants) at an autoshow and had my picture taken with him. He was a really nice guy. I also met Chirstie Whiitman(former governer of NJ.) Larry Dixon(driver of the Miller Lite Dragster in NHRA signed an autograph) for me at Englishtown Dragway in 1998. I didn't say anything to him but my Dad was with me and my Dad spoke with Larry DIxon after Dixon lost his semifinal match-up with Joe Amato. After Larry lost my Dad said something to him and Larry was like "it happens sometimes" in reference to losing that semifinal match-up with Joe Amato. Oh yeah I forgot Laura Prepon "On That 70's Show" was in my homeroom class in Freshman Year of High School. I almost forgot about that one.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/19/05 at 5:02 am

Art Critic - BRIAN SEWELL at a Radio show recording.

I saw Brian Sewell at a radio recording too, and he was on good form that day.

Written By: Bobby on 06/19/05 at 6:28 am

I keep seeing Ruby Wax too.

Poor you.  ;D

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/19/05 at 6:31 am

Poor you.  ;D
I do not mind for she is a favourite of our family.

Written By: Bobby on 06/19/05 at 6:32 am

I do not mind for she is a favourite of our family.

Really? I always thought she had an elastic mouth, lol.  ;D

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/19/05 at 6:48 am

Really? I always thought she had an elastic mouth, lol.  ;D
I also have Robbie Williams down the road from me. I have seen his motorbike, but not him yet.

Written By: Jennifer028 on 06/19/05 at 1:49 pm

I went to school with Charlie Mahar (the second runner up on "The Bachlorette")  Now he's on E channel.

http://ia.imdb.com/media/imdb/01/I/21/39/08m.jpg

When I moved to houston I went to school with Susan Wright, the girl who kiled her husband by stabbing him 200 times  :(

http://a.abclocal.go.com/images/ktrk_030404_sentencestory.jpg

Written By: Jennifer028 on 06/19/05 at 1:53 pm

I've seen Magic Johnson in the Phoenix Arizona, Sky Harbor airport and he was on my plane.

I've seen Loius Gossett Jr. at the airport in Houston Tx.

Clay Walker came to eat at the resturant (Pappadeaux) I worked in when I was in college.  :-*

Senator  ??? John Mccain came to my junior high in Arizona when I was in Geography class.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/19/05 at 2:12 pm

My mother used to work in theatre so I met a lot. Some of them were:

Davy Jones (who was supposed to come to our house but didn't  :\'( )
Mary Jo Catlett-who played the housekeeper on Diff'rent Strokes after Mrs. Garrett (who DID come to our house)
John Gavin-who at least WAS an ambassador-don't know if he still is.
William Shatner (unfortunately-no, I wasn't impressed)
Betty Grable
Pat O'Brian-the old time actor, not the sports announcer. What a delightful man. I felt honored to have had the chance to have met him.
Jack Gilford (in fact, my mother dated him.)
James Whitmore

When I did summer stock many moons ago, I worked with James Handy who has been in many movies, like K9, Burglar, and Guarding Tess to name just a few-not to mention numerous t.v. appearances. I even sat on his lap one time (but that is another story in itself.  ;) )

I once met John Denver in the Air & Space Museum in Wash. D.C. And Pete Seegar used to be a regular guest at my high school not to mention that we used to see him around quite frequently. I have got a wonderful photo of my step-father with Pete. VERY, VERY nice person.

I'm sure I have forgotten somebody.

Cat

Written By: Bobby on 06/19/05 at 2:14 pm

I also have Robbie Williams down the road from me. I have seen his motorbike, but not him yet.

Lol. Unreal. He lived in Stoke on Trent before he moved there I believe (not too far from where I was born).

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 06/19/05 at 2:22 pm

I've met Robert Hays (of the movie Airplane) and Jimmy Walker (of the TV series Good Times).  :)

Written By: Paul on 06/19/05 at 4:52 pm

Whilst working in the bank many, many moons ago - I actually served Malcolm McLaren, Janet Street-Portah and Nick Berry (who?!)

And the other week I saw Bill Oddie down Oxford Street, but he didn't recognise me...!!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/19/05 at 5:55 pm

I met Howard Dean a couple of times. One time when he was governor, Carlos wrote him a letter about something. His response was your basic form letter response probably written by a secretary. BUT, there was a barley legible handwritten P.S. (he is a doctor after all) that said that he like Carlos' letters to the editor.  ;D  He still has that letter somewhere.

Cat

Written By: annamommynous on 06/19/05 at 9:07 pm

My husband ran into Geddy Lee of Rush. Said he was very personable and patient with my hubby 'cause he was stricken speakless by casually meeting his favorite rockstar.

Written By: duranchick on 06/23/05 at 4:08 pm

Met George Carlin in the late eighties - seemed really nice.

Check for new replies or respond here...