inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Age group classifications?

Written By: Marty McFly on 06/25/05 at 1:36 am

I was just thinking about this much the way I do with decades.

Here's an overall breakdown, IMO:

0-1 - Baby
2-11 - Child
12-20 - Adolescent
21-39 - Young Adult
40-64 - Middle-aged
65-84 - Senior Citizen
85+ - Old

Technically, I always thought of a child as a pre-teen, so that should mean anyone under 13. However a 12 year old (even 10 or 11 sometimes) is kinda teen-ish, and seems almost too old to be in the same category as, say a 5 year old.

Most would consider a young adult to not go into the 30's, but 35 seems WAY too young to consider middle aged, especially now. I once heard that middle aged was roughly ages 40 to 60. In today's terms I almost would move it up to 45-70. They are saying that "40 is the new 30" - indeed I would agree for most people.

A number of people are keeping jobs longer and not retiring immediately at 65 (I have a 74 year old uncle - very hip for his age - who still works, as an example), so a modern senior citizen is in the early 70's, IMO.

Thoughts?

Subject: Re: Age group classifications?

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/25/05 at 1:56 am

I was just thinking about this much the way I do with decades.

Here's an overall breakdown, IMO:

0-1 - Baby
2-11 - Child
12-20 - Adolescent
21-39 - Young Adult
40-64 - Middle-aged
65-84 - Senior Citizen
85+ - Old

Technically, I always thought of a child as a pre-teen, so that should mean anyone under 13. However a 12 year old (even 10 or 11 sometimes) is kinda teen-ish, and seems almost too old to be in the same category as, say a 5 year old.

Most would consider a young adult to not go into the 30's, but 35 seems WAY too young to consider middle aged, especially now. I once heard that middle aged was roughly ages 40 to 60. In today's terms I almost would move it up to 45-70. They are saying that "40 is the new 30" - indeed I would agree for most people.

A number of people are keeping jobs longer and not retiring immediately at 65 (I have a 74 year old uncle - very hip for his age - who still works, as an example), so a modern senior citizen is in the early 70's, IMO.

Thoughts?

If it is consedered to "Middle-aged" at 64, does that mean you are expected to live to 128?

Written By: Marty McFly on 06/25/05 at 2:03 am

If it is consedered to "Middle-aged" at 64, does that mean you are expected to live to 128?

LOL, never thought of that before, but it makes sense - "middle age" should be around the halfway point of life. ;)

People can fairly easily make it to 85 or 90 today, so the halfway point would theoretically be 45, but by 2030 for instance, I wouldn't be surprised if people regularly lived to 120+.

64 does seem a little young to put in the same "senior citizen" vein as a 90 year old though.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/25/05 at 2:16 am

LOL, never thought of that before, but it makes sense - "middle age" should be around the halfway point of life. ;)

People can fairly easily make it to 85 or 90 today, so the halfway point would theoretically be 45, but by 2030 for instance, I wouldn't be surprised if people regularly lived to 120+.

64 does seem a little young to put in the same "senior citizen" vein as a 90 year old though.

You have just pre-empted my next point, but here in the UK, Parliament is planning to increase the Pension Age for 60 to for women and 65 to 70 for men.

Written By: Howard on 06/25/05 at 5:41 pm

I consider myself a Young Adult

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 06/25/05 at 5:44 pm

Yeah, that's about right...I consider myself an adolescent.

~Beth

Written By: NullandVoid on 06/25/05 at 5:58 pm

I'm still a young adult...I still play videogames for chrissakes!! ;D

Written By: Paul on 06/25/05 at 6:33 pm

Hey, I've got two more years as a 'young adult'...

Better make the most of it!

Written By: gemini61 on 06/25/05 at 6:40 pm

I'm middle aged  :o  :\'( 

Written By: Paul on 06/25/05 at 6:42 pm

I'm middle aged  :o   :\'( 

'Tis no shame, Rhonda...we'll all be there eventually...

Written By: gemini61 on 06/25/05 at 6:49 pm

'Tis no shame, Rhonda...we'll all be there eventually...

Yea, and we'll all be dead eventually too!  ;)  So, you were saying?  ;D 

Written By: Paul on 06/25/05 at 6:57 pm

Yea, and we'll all be dead eventually too!  ;)  So, you were saying?  ;D 

What I said before...better make the most of it!

Written By: gemini61 on 06/25/05 at 7:04 pm

What I said before...better make the most of it!

You said it!  :D 

Written By: RockandRollFan on 06/25/05 at 7:23 pm

Sometimes I feel like I'm 90 but most of the time I laugh and enjoy myself so much that I feel like a guy in my 20's again :)

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 06/25/05 at 7:35 pm

That seems reasonably accurate. I honestly don't feel like an adult yet, and it's nice to know I don't have to til I'm 21.  ;D

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 06/25/05 at 7:38 pm

Hey, I've got two more years as a 'young adult'...

Better make the most of it!

I've got less than a year left as a 'young adult'... :-\\

Written By: Marty McFly on 06/25/05 at 8:30 pm

I'm still a young adult...I still play videogames for chrissakes!! ;D

Oh I'll always be doing that! (NES games mostly though). 8)

Think of this - PacMan and Atari games came out in the early 80's. The kids that were 10 years old and played those when they were new, are now in their early-mid 30's.

But yeah, I feel younger than my biological age most of the time too!

Written By: Marty McFly on 06/25/05 at 8:32 pm

Sometimes I feel like I'm 90 but most of the time I laugh and enjoy myself so much that I feel like a guy in my 20's again :)

Hey man, no worries. As I said, you seem to be a fun, younger guy from what I can tell. :)

Written By: RockandRollFan on 06/25/05 at 9:25 pm

Hey man, no worries. As I said, you seem to be a fun, younger guy from what I can tell. :)
Thanks, it's my kids that keep me going. If I hadn't had them when my son Blaine was murdered I probably wouldn't be alive....though my dad told me that if I died, he and my mom would feel the pain of losing their son :-\\

Written By: Marty McFly on 06/25/05 at 9:53 pm

Thanks, it's my kids that keep me going. If I hadn't had them when my son Blaine was murdered I probably wouldn't be alive....though my dad told me that if I died, he and my mom would feel the pain of losing their son :-\\

Yeah. Not to turn this thread depressing but just know that I 100% agree with where you're coming from - if ever you want to talk about it, I'm happy to listen. People (and family esp) really need each other even more in tragic times like that.

I don't know how consolable I would be if one of my parents died (or my kids, if I had any) but I'm not sure if I'd want to live myself. Just that I know I'm probably going to have to go through it again someday isn't an easy thought to say the least. :(

Written By: YWN on 06/29/05 at 11:45 am

Okay, twelve is sort of teenish (more wannabe tweenish preteen), but why is twenty adolescent?  That's young adult.

And I'm adolescent myself.  ;D

Written By: Marty McFly on 06/29/05 at 11:51 am

Okay, twelve is sort of teenish (more wannabe tweenish preteen), but why is twenty adolescent? That's young adult.

And I'm adolescent myself. ;D

Yeah, good point -- 19 to 20 seems a bigger change than 20 to 21, I guess I just picked it since that's when the last of the "age restrictions" go off.

Theoretically though, the total puberty time frame (depending on the person of course!) could go anywhere from like 10 to 22 - before it completely stops, though I think the bulk of it slows down by 16 or 17. Some guys don't stop growing till they're in their mid 20s even.

EDIT: If you really want to be technical, I guess you could split adolescence up in two parts. 11 or 12 to 15 is like the "early/big changing" part, and 16-19 (with an afterglow up to 21 or 22) is like the slowed-down/very early adult part.

Check for new replies or respond here...