inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Who's more "trendy" - girls or guys?

Written By: Marty McFly on 06/25/05 at 5:28 am

Before I start a description - for the record, I'm a guy but I'm the least judgemental person in the world, so just making sure you knew where I'm coming from. :)

Of course we're all individual, but for the most part, it strikes me that girls are more preoccupied with "what's hot now" (nothing wrong with that, just an observation). I've seen alot of cases where they don't care about things from the past, merely citing that it was "before their time" etc.

On the same token, far more teen guys seem into checking out old cars, watching 80s movies, or listening to their dad's classic rock collection. I wonder if it's because guys usually aren't as "fashion-oriented" as girls, or don't feel the peer pressure in that regard as much?

I also think a girl is more likely (not now so much since trends have slowed down since '99) to laugh at you for wearing clothes from 5 years ago - talking from personal experience on that one. ;D

Any thoughts?

Subject: Re: Who's more "trendy" - girls or guys?

Written By: JamieMcBain on 07/17/05 at 3:02 pm

I myself don't follow trends, since they pretty much change all the time.

Written By: Apricot on 07/17/05 at 3:09 pm

I only know one person who follows trends.. and she's a girl, so... well, I really can't stereotype from that.. but my experience implies that girls are "trendier".

Written By: Marty McFly on 07/17/05 at 3:30 pm

I myself don't follow trends, since they pretty much change all the time.

I keep what you might call a "passing eye" on them but never really "cared" about them.

Of course the good thing about it now, is that since things haven't largely changed since 1999 (the roots of that started in '97), you don't have to worry about an outfit from two years ago being outdated. You can wear things from 1998 or 2000 and people don't care.

Written By: Apricot on 07/17/05 at 3:31 pm

I haven't noticed any fashion that gets "dated".. nothing too extraordinary.. I just wear what's comfy and what I like anyway.. plus, what's in style today {those shirts from fake thrift stores and such} won't look too crazy in coming years.. just old, maybe a bit shabby.. but crap like Hot Topic.. that's gonna be impossible to wear if fashion changes.

Written By: ADH13 on 07/17/05 at 3:49 pm

I agree with you Marty.. it does seem that girls are more into trends.. but I am a definite exception.  You will NEVER see me walking around with flare leg pants, for example.  And I really don't care what people think of how I dress or how I look.  Sometimes I wear trendy clothes now, but only because they are 70's or 80's style so I like them.

But have you noticed when you walk around the malls they have these AWFUL clothes and AWFUL shoes in the stores, but as you look around, nobody is wearing them??

Written By: Dumb Ass Kid on 07/17/05 at 3:51 pm

I've noticed that as you progress through your life, you go through several 'phases', and this is the order:
Male:
4-6 years - Bad fashion phase - you wear clothes that your parents make you wear, coz you have no choice, and they're awful  :P
7-15 years - Either the 'chav' phase or the 'sweatie' phase. Occassionally you get people who don't fall into either
16 years + - 'trendy' phase - When guys start thinking its cool to wear tight, pink shirts and sandals

Female:
4-5 years - Bad fashion phase - same as for boys, except with dresses and skirts
6-8 years - 'madam' phase - girls at this age somehow become obsessed with wanting to dress like grown-ups  ???
9+ - 'Chav' phase - continues through adulthood.
OR:
11+ - 'Goth'/'Sweatie' phase - Usually lasts until late teens. Scary

Based on these observations, guys are more trendy, but only when they hit the 15/16 age range. Girls at this age are either goths or chavs, neither of which I find particularly trendy

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 07/17/05 at 7:46 pm

I've never followed trends myself. Maybe because the thought of walking around wearing size XXXL pants hanging around my knees and the like just doesn't appeal to me. As with labels. You pay $50 more for a plain t-shirt with 'Adidas' on it than one without. It's insane.

To answer the question - I'd say, at my age group, (18-25) girls are more trendy than guys.

Written By: Miss Tainted on 07/17/05 at 8:41 pm

It used to be girls but I think now a days guys are starting to catch up on what's "trendy".

Written By: tv on 07/17/05 at 10:25 pm

I admit to the trendy stuff back in my sophmore year of high school  in 1996 and I am a guy. In my freshman year I used to wear tight jeans and small shirts. In my sophmore I changed to wearing pants that were 2 sizes bigger than I was supposed to wear and buying large shirts. I used to be a little "wiggerish. I used to talk like I was on the street. It was like peer pressure. You have to fit in with everybody else in High School. If you aren't on a sports team and you weren't popular that was the street style was the best way to go. In High School you have to survive. They are going to be people that hate on you or make fun of you for no reason. You have to really watch out yourself. When I came into the business world I had to change and it was rough. I had to dump the baggy clothes, and the phony accent. I am still into urban culture alot but I can't be something I'm not. Girls notice you more in High School with the street style. In the long run being yourself will pay off though. When I see guys at age 16 with the baggy clothes I see myself from a decade ago.  I had a kid walk up to me in High School whe I was in my baggy clothes faze ask me if I was spanish.

I think teen girls are trendy too though. They want the latest fashion or the . They love to shop or the latest hot CD by their favorite artist.. They want the latest news on their dream celeb guy. Girls at 20-30 years old want to still look good and buy clothes that are appealing(but not trendy)so guys will look at them in a bar or something like that.

Check for new replies or respond here...