inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Audiotape and boombox question. :)

Written By: Marty McFly on 07/02/05 at 4:05 am

To make a long story short, in part because they remind me of my childhood, I'm kinda attached to audio tapes - I have tons of them (though I'm not completely stuck in the past, I burn CDs too!). I sometimes worry that they -- and anything associated with them -- will go obsolete soon.

Anyway, partly because of this, one thing I like to collect at Thrift stores and garage sales is old-school boomboxes - especially double tape ones. For minor fixing up, I can clean the heads with Q-tips that cleaning alcohol (believe me, some of 'em really need it!). ;)

However, with age, some are gonna need more than that - so my question (finally!) is: are there any stores, such as Radio Shack, where you can buy tape drive belts, demagnetizers and things like that?

NOTE: I once found an abandoned, thrown out "shoebox" recorder in the dumpster. After rescuing it and plugging it in, I realized the belt slipped which is why they tossed it probably. Anyway, I managed to replace it with...get this....a rubber band! ;D

Amazingly 2 years later it still works, but I think I probably just lucked out! :)

Subject: Re: Audiotape and boombox question. :)

Written By: Paul on 07/02/05 at 5:01 am

Apart from the thrift sales and obligatory e-bay, you could try this guy, based in Colorado Springs...

His parts list isn't extensive, but there are a few other sites listed in his 'favorites' section, so you could snowball along from there...

But be warned, as this technology becomes ever more obsolete, so the prices will escalate...but a good hobby, best of luck...

Written By: Marty McFly on 07/02/05 at 5:10 am

^ Thanks mate, sounds very interesting.

From the looks of it, he's more into external stereo stuff, but there's a chance he could know about some early/tape boomboxes as well. Best of all, he says he's more into E-mailing than phone calls (personally I've never been a "phone-y" although many people are - I just prefer writing!). :)

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 07/02/05 at 3:18 pm

Hmm not sure what a 'boombox' is?

but I have about 50-60 cassette tapes from the 70's-80-90's and I'm gutted that you can't get them anymore.   :(

Written By: Paul on 07/02/05 at 4:43 pm

Hmm not sure what a 'boombox' is?

One of those ginormous radio/cassette players that were very popular in the 80s...not sure if they were classified as portable stereo, some of 'em used to weigh a ton...!

Sometimes known as 'Ghetto Blasters'...

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 07/02/05 at 4:56 pm

One of those ginormous radio/cassette players that were very popular in the 80s...not sure if they were classified as portable stereo, some of 'em used to weigh a ton...!

Sometimes known as 'Ghetto Blasters'...

Oh no  :-[  how embarrassing I didn't know they were called that.
I had a great Hitachi ghetto blaster about W50"xH20"

It was my first ever major thing I bought and it lasted years too  ;D

Written By: RockandRollFan on 07/02/05 at 7:42 pm

Apart from the thrift sales and obligatory e-bay, you could try this guy, based in Colorado Springs...

His parts list isn't extensive, but there are a few other sites listed in his 'favorites' section, so you could snowball along from there...

But be warned, as this technology becomes ever more obsolete, so the prices will escalate...but a good hobby, best of luck...

Paul! You beat me to this one...sorry, marty!

Bob Toepfer

Vintage Electronics

627 Kinnikinnik Dr.

Colorado Springs, Co 80906

Bob@vintage-electronics.net

Written By: Paul on 07/03/05 at 3:50 am

^
Oh, he should be near-enough on your doorstep Mark!

Check for new replies or respond here...