inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Remembering Diana Hyland...and Breast Cancer Awareness

Written By: RockandRollFan on 07/04/05 at 10:49 pm

Does anyone else remember this beautiful lady? 

http://tesla.liketelevision.com/liketelevision/images/lowrez/bubboy218.jpg

Birthplace: Cleveland Heights, Ohio, USA
Birthday: 1-25-1936
Date of Death: 3-27-1977
Cause of Death: Breast cancer

Diana Hyland, born in 1936, a knowing beauty with a confident air about her, appeared on stage in summer stock as a teen before graduating from high school and moving to New York. She found TV roles in the 50s in between stints as a switchboard operator and managed to make an impression as a blonde ingénue on Broadway in the Tennessee Williams production of "Sweet Bird of Youth" in 1959.  starring Paul Newman and Geraldine Page. Her role of Heavenly Finney could have made her a star had she taken it to film, but Shirley Knight won the honor. In the 60s, Diana began making her formidable presence known on TV soaps such as "Young Dr. Malone" (1958) and "Peyton Place" (1964), in addition to scores of guest parts, notably "The Twilight Zone" (1959) and "Dr. Kildare" (1961). She made noticeably few films, however. Her best showcase was One Man's Way (1964) as wife to Don Murray's Norman Vincent Peale, and a supporting turn in The Chase (1966) starring Marlon Brando, Robert Redford and Jane Fonda. A very independent, outspoken actress, Diana began having a May-December affair with actor John Travolta in 1976. Travolta, who was 17 years her junior, was just coming into the limelight with his own TV show "Welcome Back, Kotter" (1975). They had met while appearing in the TV-movie The Boy in the Plastic Bubble (1976) (TV). The following year, Diana was awarded the role of Dick Van Patten's wife Joan Bradford in the family sitcom "Eight Is Enough" (1977). It was a short-lived celebration. Diana was diagnosed with breast cancer and died in March 27, 1977 in John's arms, after shooting only four episodes. She was only 41. When the series returned that fall, it was explained that her character had also died and Van Patten's character eventually remarried. Diana also won a posthumous Emmy award for her supporting role in The Boy in the Plastic Bubble (1976) (TV), which Travolta accepted on her behalf. John jumped up with the trophy raised as if he were handing it to her in heaven.

Subject: Re: Does Anybody Remember Diana Hyland

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 07/04/05 at 11:51 pm

I can't say that I remember her....however, she died the year that I was born...so that probably has something to do with it.  She was very pretty indeed, and very young to die.  Breast cancer, as any cancer, is a horrible disease....my mom, grandma, and aunt had it...but they were treated and it was caught in time.

Erin :)

Written By: RockandRollFan on 07/04/05 at 11:54 pm

I can't say that I remember her....however, she died the year that I was born...so that probably has something to do with it.  She was very pretty indeed, and very young to die.  Breast cancer, as any cancer, is a horrible disease....my mom, grandma, and aunt had it...but they were treated and it was caught in time.

Erin, I'm so happy to hear that they all survived. I also appreciate the reply :-* Perhaps I should've given it a different title so people might give a crap :-\\

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 07/04/05 at 11:55 pm

Erin, I'm so happy to hear that they all survived. I also appreciate the reply :-* Perhaps I should've given it a different title so people might give a crap :-\\

yes, it was very scary for 3 of my close relatives to have to go through that.  About the title, yes, alot of people might not recognize her name.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 07/05/05 at 12:05 am

yes, it was very scary for 3 of my close relatives to have to go through that.  About the title, yes, alot of people might not recognize her name.

ANY suggestion for a better title would be greatly appreciated :)

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 07/05/05 at 12:07 am

maybe you could make mention to her breast cancer or her very premature death, etc..

Written By: RockandRollFan on 07/05/05 at 12:43 am

maybe you could make mention to her breast cancer or her very premature death, etc..

Okay but it sure would be nice if people could just show enough interest to read it and CARE enough to reply. I mean, I RE-posted this after 10 people looked but didn't bother to give a crap enough to have the decency to reply. Oh well, that's certainly thier option :-\\

Written By: Indy Gent on 07/05/05 at 1:06 am

I remember that Hyland actually dated Travolta up to her death. And breast cancer is a serious issue, just like all cancers. If it can ravaged a seemingly healthy woman like Linda McCartney, it can affect any woman. So please have your annual check-up and pap smears. People like me also need to an annual colon-rectal exams and check-ups because I'm in my 40s now.

Written By: karen on 07/05/05 at 6:24 am

Mark

I think I recognise her face.  Just not sure what the point of the post is.  It's not her birthday or the anniversary of her death, so what do you want people to talk to you about?

Written By: Gis on 07/05/05 at 9:04 am

I agree with karen. I'm only posting this because you seem so bothered, but quite frankly with posts like this I read them and don't reply because I don't see the point in just typing 'No' because I don't know who she is.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 07/05/05 at 10:31 am

I agree with karen. I'm only posting this because you seem so bothered, but quite frankly with posts like this I read them and don't reply because I don't see the point in just typing 'No' because I don't know who she is.

Mark

I think I recognise her face. Just not sure what the point of the post is. It's not her birthday or the anniversary of her death, so what do you want people to talk to you about?
First off I apologize for seeming upset. Like Erin said though, I more or less put it here for breat awareness. Indy's post kinda says it better. I also watched "The Boy In The Plastic Bubble" recently and was just thinking about her. I don't think it ever needs to be an anniversary of someones death, or thier birthday to remember them either, I mean, I think of my late son Blaine all the time. I am sorry if I seemed upset though ;)

Written By: RockandRollFan on 07/05/05 at 10:35 am

I remember that Hyland actually dated Travolta up to her death. And breast cancer is a serious issue, just like all cancers. If it can ravaged a seemingly healthy woman like Linda McCartney, it can affect any woman. So please have your annual check-up and pap smears. People like me also need to an annual colon-rectal exams and check-ups because I'm in my 40s now.
Thanks for the informative post, Jonathan. I kinda created the thread without a direction...more or less just being sentimental about her. But thanks to Erin for suggesting a title change and you for the reply as well :)

Subject: Re: Remembering Diana Hyland...and Breast Cancer Awareness

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 07/05/05 at 10:44 am

I like the title change, Mark.  Breast cancer awareness is something that is quite a necessity for all women, of all ages...that's for sure.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 07/05/05 at 12:49 pm

I like the title change, Mark.  Breast cancer awareness is something that is quite a necessity for all women, of all ages...that's for sure.

No, thank YOU for the wonderful suggestion, Erin ;)

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 07/05/05 at 12:59 pm

I remember her from the show Eight Is Enough, and I clearly remember hearing about her death (I was only about 11 at the time).  I was truly saddened that such a delightful woman would be taken from us at such a young age.  :(

Written By: RockandRollFan on 07/05/05 at 8:12 pm

I remember her from the show Eight Is Enough, and I clearly remember hearing about her death (I was only about 11 at the time).  I was truly saddened that such a delightful woman would be taken from us at such a young age.  :(
Yeah, she only was able to do 4 episodes, and then having her die in Travolta's arms...very sad :\'(

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 07/05/05 at 9:31 pm

I just found out that my mom found another lump on her breast. This has happened before and it was nothing...but once you have had cancer...you never know what will happen. She has an appt. scheduled so that they can do an ultrasound and biopsy....more than likely she will need to endure surgery to remove it, regardless of it being cancer or not. She is really nervous about all of this...and I don't want her to be under any extra stress during this time.  I would appreciate if everyone would keep her in your thoughts/prayers.

Thanks,

Check for new replies or respond here...