inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Do you live near any historical sites or landmarks?

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 07/17/05 at 1:38 pm

I live about 8 miles from Pearl Harbor and the Arizona Memorial.  :)

http://www.n4jbp.com/hawaii/pics/arizona.jpg

Subject: Re: Do you live near any historical sites or landmarks?

Written By: JamieMcBain on 07/17/05 at 1:39 pm

A shopping mall.... does that count?

Written By: whitewolf on 07/17/05 at 1:44 pm

I live close to a couple houses that survived the fire that went through this place in 1825, those houses are now museums.

Also this area is known for ghost stories/legends and I live near the French Fort Cove where a nun was supposed to have had her head chopped off, she was buried without it and some say that she still walks aroung there searching for her head.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/17/05 at 1:46 pm

I reside within 4 miles of central London so I have plenty of historical sites or landmarks within my crasp.

Written By: Apricot on 07/17/05 at 1:49 pm

I live kinda near Gettysburg....

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 07/17/05 at 1:57 pm

I live kinda near Gettysburg....

How many miles are you from Gettysburg?

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 07/17/05 at 1:58 pm

I live close to a couple houses that survived the fire that went through this place in 1825, those houses are now museums.

Also this area is known for ghost stories/legends and I live near the French Fort Cove where a nun was supposed to have had her head chopped off, she was buried without it and some say that she still walks aroung there searching for her head.

That's an interesting story about the nun, Tina.  :)

Written By: Apricot on 07/17/05 at 2:00 pm

How many miles are you from Gettysburg?

Uh.. I'm not sure.. I think it's a 40 or 50 minute drive.. but that's the closest major thing I can think of.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/17/05 at 2:02 pm

I live near a marble quarry where much of the marble came from that are in the buildings in Washington D.C.

Does that count?

Cat

Written By: jiminy on 07/17/05 at 2:11 pm

Fort Pulaski
Savannah, Georgia

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/17/05 at 2:13 pm

About 4 miles from me, Houses of Parliament
http://www.londongeneral.co.uk/photos/12-rml-big-ben-2_small.jpg

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 07/17/05 at 2:15 pm

About 4 miles from me, Houses of Parliament
http://www.londongeneral.co.uk/photos/12-rml-big-ben-2_small.jpg

That's cool, Phil.  :)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/17/05 at 2:36 pm

I also live a few miles from Hubberton Battlefield. I know most people have never heard of the the Hubberton Battle but it was the first time "Old Glory" went into battle on 7/7/1777.

Cat

Written By: RockandRollFan on 07/17/05 at 3:33 pm

The place where Katharine Lee Bates wrote...well, here.

Written By: ADH13 on 07/17/05 at 3:44 pm

I live near the Winchester Mystery House

Written By: Dumb Ass Kid on 07/17/05 at 3:53 pm

I live near Penshaw Monument, which isn't very famous, but it's a landmark. Other than that, I don't live too far away from the Angel of the North, we've drove past it a couple of times

Written By: danootaandme on 07/17/05 at 4:21 pm

I live outside of Boston so I live near alot of them.  Just like Philip living outside of London, it is
just one big history lesson.  Let's see Old Ironsides, Bunker Hill, Lexington and Concord, the
Adams Homestead, Salem(where they burned the "witches"), Revere Beach(oldest public beach
in the U.S.) Plymouth Rock, etc. etc  :)

Written By: jiminy on 07/17/05 at 4:24 pm

I live outside of Boston so I live near alot of them.  Just like Philip living outside of London, it is
just one big history lesson.  Let's see Old Ironsides, Bunker Hill, Lexington and Concord, the
Adams Homestead, Salem(where they burned the "witches"), Revere Beach(oldest public beach

you didn't mention fenway park

Written By: Paul on 07/17/05 at 5:08 pm

Like Phil, most of the landmarks are in the smoke, but on a more local scale...

I'm about 10 miles from the Medway town of Rochester, where Charles Dickens had a large involvement (nice cathedral and castle too), and a few more miles in a different direction is Pluckley - supposedly the most haunted town in the UK...

And in the town next door (Dartford), there's the birthplace and childhood home of a certain Michael Jagger...

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 07/17/05 at 5:16 pm

I'm about 10 miles from the Medway town of Rochester, where Charles Dickens had a large involvement (nice cathedral and castle too), and a few more miles in a different direction is Pluckley - supposedly the most haunted town in the UK...

That's very interesting, Paul...

I love castles and old cathedrals... :)

Written By: Dagwood on 07/17/05 at 5:17 pm

I live about 10 miles from the headquarters of the LDS church.  Their temple is an architectural marvel.  I don't follow that church at all, but the building is beautiful and the way they light it up at Christmas is gorgeous.

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 07/17/05 at 5:27 pm

I live about 10 miles from the headquarters of the LDS church.  Their temple is an architectural marvel.  I don't follow that church at all, but the building is beautiful and the way they light it up at Christmas is gorgeous.

I've driven past that before...it is pretty spectacular!  8)

Written By: Paul on 07/17/05 at 5:46 pm

I love castles and old cathedrals... :)

It's also very good if you like books...there's countless bookshops around the place...

Anyway, top to bottom...

The Castle
The Cathedral (as seen from The Castle)
Dickens' Chalet
...and the nutcases who take part in the Sweep's Festival (normally held in May...)

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 07/17/05 at 5:52 pm

It's also very good if you like books...there's countless bookshops around the place...

Anyway, top to bottom...

The Castle
The Cathedral (as seen from The Castle)
Dickens' Chalet
...and the nutcases who take part in the Sweep's Festival (normally held in May...)

Great pictures!  I especially love the one of the cathedral!

Perhaps one day I'll get to see those in person!  :)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/17/05 at 6:27 pm

I love going to your neck of the woods. There is so much there. The last time we were there, we went to see Old Ironsides.

Another thing I forgot to mention, we live fairly close to Fort Ticonderoga. We usually see it from Lake Champlain because that is our "usual" anchoring place.

Cat

Written By: danootaandme on 07/17/05 at 6:37 pm

you didn't mention fenway park

Braves Field too, which is now owned by BU and is used for soccer.  Babe Ruth ended his career at
Braves Field playing for the Boston Braves. My grandmother was a huge Boston Braves fan and
after they left Boston never spoke their name again.

Written By: Alchoholica on 07/17/05 at 8:00 pm

Well now if i climb on to the roof i can see St Louis Arch, in fact if the bloody trees weren't in the way i could probably see it from kitchen window or my bedroom window.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 07/17/05 at 10:15 pm

We live near Fort Ligonier.

Erin :)

Written By: C.NOIZE on 07/17/05 at 10:52 pm

Well, as Apricot said, we live near Gettysburg (21 miles as the crow flies).

http://www.ios2003.com/photopages/030403_gettysburg/02_gettysburg_staffride79.JPG

But he failed to mention the other historical sites nearby.  Including:

James Buchanan's birthplace in Mercersburg, PA (the pyramid memorial stands in James Buchanan State Park west of Mercersburg, and the cabin was moved to the campus of Mercersburg Academy a number of years ago),

http://www.mind.net/dlmark/images/PPbuchanan04.jpg  http://www.mind.net/dlmark/images/PPbuchanan02.jpg

Chambersburg, the only Northern town burned by the Confederate Army during the American Civil War,

http://www.pathsofthecivilwar.com/Products/graphics/BOC-586w.jpg

and, of course, there's Shippensburg itself--second oldest town west of the Susquehanna.

http://www.galacticafanfic.com/flying/shippensburg_pa_110698.jpg

Shippensburg is the home of Widow Piper's Tavern, location of the first Cumberland County Court way back in the 1750's,

http://www.witf.org/temps/TV/Our%20Town/images/Historic%20courthouse%20circa%201735_jpg.jpg

and Pague & Fegan Hardware, fabled to be the oldest, continuously operating hardware store in Pennsylvania, and the one historical site that I don't have a picture for.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 07/17/05 at 10:54 pm

I totally love the area where you guys live, CNoize.....there's so much history out there....and the buildings are great!

Written By: Miss Tainted on 07/17/05 at 11:01 pm

Well, as Apricot said, we live near Gettysburg (21 miles as the crow flies).

http://www.ios2003.com/photopages/030403_gettysburg/02_gettysburg_staffride79.JPG

But he failed to mention the other historical sites nearby.  Including:

James Buchanan's birthplace in Mercersburg, PA (the pyramid memorial stands in James Buchanan State Park west of Mercersburg, and the cabin was moved to the campus of Mercersburg Academy a number of years ago),

http://www.mind.net/dlmark/images/PPbuchanan04.jpg http://www.mind.net/dlmark/images/PPbuchanan02.jpg

Chambersburg, the only Northern town burned by the Confederate Army during the American Civil War,

http://www.pathsofthecivilwar.com/Products/graphics/BOC-586w.jpg

and, of course, there's Shippensburg itself--second oldest town west of the Susquehanna.

http://www.galacticafanfic.com/flying/shippensburg_pa_110698.jpg

Shippensburg is the home of Widow Piper's Tavern, location of the first Cumberland County Court way back in the 1750's,

http://www.witf.org/temps/TV/Our%20Town/images/Historic%20courthouse%20circa%201735_jpg.jpg

and Pague & Fegan Hardware, fabled to be the oldest, continuously operating hardware store in Pennsylvania, and the one historical site that I don't have a picture for.

I used to live in Pennsylvania, I kind of miss being so near pieces of history and things such as that but I'm also kind of glad because it's all really haunted.  :(

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 07/17/05 at 11:02 pm

what part of PA did you live?

Written By: Miss Tainted on 07/17/05 at 11:11 pm

Philadelphia.  :)

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 07/17/05 at 11:13 pm

cool! I live closer to Pittsburgh...about 35 miles east of Pittsburgh.

Written By: Miss Tainted on 07/17/05 at 11:15 pm

cool! I live closer to Pittsburgh...about 35 miles east of Pittsburgh.

I remember visiting there when I was really little I used to call it "Pippsburgh" lol

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 07/17/05 at 11:17 pm

I remember visiting there when I was really little I used to call it "Pippsburgh" lol

that's funny...alot of "Pittsburgian" tend to call it "Pixburg" LOLOLOL! ;D

Written By: Miss Tainted on 07/17/05 at 11:21 pm

that's funny...alot of "Pittsburgian" tend to call it "Pixburg" LOLOLOL! ;D

hehe do people there also pronounce the word 'attitude'  'at-tee-tude'? Just wondering because that's how my grandparents say it.  :)

Written By: C.NOIZE on 07/17/05 at 11:46 pm

I totally love the area where you guys live, CNoize.....there's so much history out there....and the buildings are great!

I know...I love the place.

And on that note, here's a picture of Pague & Fegan Hardware--back when it was called McPherson's Hardware.  I couldn't get my photo editor to crop, so it's a bit tiny.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a325/piguy314/pfhw.bmp

Written By: Apricot on 07/17/05 at 11:55 pm

I used to live in Pennsylvania, I kind of miss being so near pieces of history and things such as that but I'm also kind of glad because it's all really haunted.  :(

I actually LIKE the haunted crap.. a friend and I are planning at some point to go to this insane asylum and spend a night.. however, that's out of state. But still.. I like hauntings! :D

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 07/17/05 at 11:56 pm

hehe do people there also pronounce the word 'attitude'  'at-tee-tude'? Just wondering because that's how my grandparents say it.  :)

I'm not sure...I never really heard anyone pronounce it like that! LOL!

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 07/17/05 at 11:57 pm

I actually LIKE the haunted crap.. a friend and I are planning at some point to go to this insane asylum and spend a night.. however, that's out of state. But still.. I like hauntings! :D

yes, haunted places are amazing to learn about! There are a few good sites out there that tell you all about the "haunted" places of PA...very interesting!

Written By: Miss Tainted on 07/18/05 at 12:02 am

yes, haunted places are amazing to learn about! There are a few good sites out there that tell you all about the "haunted" places of PA...very interesting!

I like learning about haunted places too but at night I can't sleep lol. This one time I think we were at Gettysburgh and we were at some war place and my mom joked by saying "Is there a doctor in the house?!" after that she was automatically shoved into the mud and when she got up she was totally clean and dry. It was uber creepy.  :-\\

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 07/18/05 at 12:03 am

I like learning about haunted places too but at night I can't sleep lol. This one time I think we were at Gettysburgh and we were at some war place and my mom joked by saying "Is there a doctor in the house?!" after that she was automatically shoved into the mud and when she got up she was totally clean and dry. It was uber creepy.  :-\\

OMG...that is really creepy!  Yes, Gettysburg is well known for it's many ghosts!

Written By: Jessica on 07/18/05 at 1:45 am

I live near the Winchester Mystery House

Hello from fifty miles south.

I live in Steinbeck country, home of Cannery Row, Pebble Beach snobs, and the Monterey Bay Marine Sanctuary. I'd post pictures, but I can't get my photo editor to work right now. :P

Written By: Gis on 07/18/05 at 3:26 am

Like Phil, most of the landmarks are in the smoke, but on a more local scale...

And in the town next door (Dartford), there's the birthplace and childhood home of a certain Michael Jagger...
I go through Rochester on the train everytime I go to Margate which is about once a month or so. I love looking at the castle and cathedral from the train.

Written By: Gis on 07/18/05 at 3:31 am

Well I live about 7 or 8 miles outside of Oxford and work at the Bodleian Library which was founded in 1502 so you could say I am surrounded by history everyday!
As to the actual town that I live in we have a huge power station as a landmark and a historic railway centre and that's about it !

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 07/18/05 at 6:19 am

I live near a church that's rather old. As with the house I'm living in.

There are historic sites around here, but nothing too spectacular (unless you're a tourist)

Written By: karen on 07/18/05 at 9:58 am

Not any that will be known internationally I guess.

Fairly near to where I live is Bradgate Park which is where Lady Jane Grey lived before she was queen.
Beacon Hill is very close.  There was a settlement there during the Bronze Age.
A restored steam train line runs at the back of my house (not literally it's behind the next street).  It's the only double track line still operational in Britain and has appeared in several films.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/18/05 at 11:22 am

Well I live about 7 or 8 miles outside of Oxford and work at the Bodleian Library which was founded in 1502 so you could say I am surrounded by history everyday!
As to the actual town that I live in we have a huge power station as a landmark and a historic railway centre and that's about it !
http://www.robots.ox.ac.uk/~vgg/presentations/vanguard/18.9.1997/geoff/didcot.1.gifI believe close to you is a church where Agatha Christie is buried?

Written By: Marian on 07/18/05 at 2:55 pm

Winchester Mystery House,Hayes mansion,lots of missions

Written By: C.NOIZE on 07/18/05 at 3:33 pm

http://www.robots.ox.ac.uk/~vgg/presentations/vanguard/18.9.1997/geoff/didcot.1.gifI believe close to you is a church where Agatha Christie is buried?

That just reminded me--I also live near Three Mile Island.

http://www.ohiocitizen.org/campaigns/electric/2004/ph_three_mile_island500.jpg

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/18/05 at 4:11 pm

An ex-power station near me.
http://www.industcards.com/Battersea-lg.jpg
Located at Battersea.

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 07/18/05 at 4:14 pm

Woah..that's crazy. Yeah, one of the reasons I like living in PA, is because of all the hauntings we have.

There is a college near me called "St. Vincents" they say that people have seen the ghosts of priests and monks walking in a graveyard, walking up steps, etc..

Jean Bonnet Tavern, which is actually on the way to where Apricot lives, in Bedford, Pa. They say that it's haunted as well. I plan on spending the night there one night, to see for myself.

Oh..another one that I can think of is Livermore, pa. I guess it's an underwater town...you can see the top of the church steeple poking out from under the water. They say there have been sightings there, as well.

That's only some of them...there are TONS more. I would love to one day take this list http://theshadowlands.net/places/pennsylvania.htm and visit each place. That'd be awesome. Ya hear that, Andrew!?! ROADTRIP!!! :D

~Beth

Written By: Marian on 07/18/05 at 9:36 pm

anyone live in Mullhulland county?Don Everly's inn burned down(he was trying to sell it,and it wasn't in business)

Written By: ADH13 on 07/19/05 at 2:05 am

Hello from fifty miles south.

I live in Steinbeck country, home of Cannery Row, Pebble Beach snobs, and the Monterey Bay Marine Sanctuary. I'd post pictures, but I can't get my photo editor to work right now. :P

It sounds like you're also pretty close to "Bubba Gumps" restaurant.. I love that place!

Written By: Gis on 07/19/05 at 3:53 am

Wow I can't believe you found a picture of the power station in Didcot ! actually that's a dumb thing to say I guess there are loads of them out there I just can't imagine why anyone would want to take any........

Yes Agatha Christie is buried in a village just down the road.She lived in a town just a couple of miles from here for a while too called Wallingford, where I go to the dentist actually !

Written By: Jessica on 07/19/05 at 4:27 am

It sounds like you're also pretty close to "Bubba Gumps" restaurant.. I love that place!

Yup. Never eaten there as it is always packed, but my sister's friend was a line cook and he made one of their desserts for us. It was delicious.

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 07/19/05 at 5:58 am

I live near Hadrians Wall - (well when I'm up at my home in the North of England I do)
built by the Roman Emperor Hadrian in AD 122 as a frontier to keep the Scottish Picts out of England, it stretched from the West to the East coasts of England.

Written By: TC1970 on 07/19/05 at 6:36 am

Not anything spectacular in my part of Ohio. Things like...
Indian burial mounds
Victorian houses
old cemeteries
Fort remnants
historical prison
underground railways

We have our fair share of steel mills and factories. I am on the boarder of PA. and WV. so we get pollution from all sides. Nice!  ::)

Written By: Paul on 07/19/05 at 7:08 am

I live near Hadrians Wall - (well when I'm up at my home in the North of England I do)

Gosh! Two homes! You have servants as well...?!!

...built by the Roman Emperor Hadrian in AD 122 as a frontier to keep the Scottish Picts out of England, it stretched from the West to the East coasts of England.

Didn't work too bloody well, did it?!!

Written By: karen on 07/19/05 at 8:15 am

I live near a church that's rather old. As with the house I'm living in.

There are historic sites around here, but nothing too spectacular (unless you're a tourist)

Just curious as to your definition of "old".  I have know idea how recent or ancient things like this are in New Zealand.

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 07/19/05 at 8:17 am

Just curious as to your definition of "old".  I have know idea how recent or ancient things like this are in New Zealand.
"old" was a bit of an exaggeration. Maybe 80 years.

The city I live in is over 150 years old. Which is quite young compared to alot of cities around the world.

Written By: karen on 07/19/05 at 8:24 am

"old" was a bit of an exaggeration. Maybe 80 years.

The city I live in is over 150 years old. Which is quite young compared to alot of cities around the world.

I guess everyone's perception of how old is old (for buildings) depends on what is in your local area.  In Britain most towns will have at least one church that is several hundred years old which distorts our perception.

Written By: NullandVoid on 07/19/05 at 8:42 am

Of Course! L.E.S(Don't you dare call us LOHO) Manhattan, New York

My whole neighborhood is historical. It's where the immigrants first moved to(upon leaving Ellis Island) at the turn of the century. Most of the old tenements have been razed or burned down, but a few have managed to be saved. They were preserved and restored. They are now a part of the "Lower East Side Tenament Museum" I love that place!

Other sites are:

The Beautiful Brooklyn Bridge
The Harry Dujour Playhouse (Now a part of Henry St Settlement Arts Center)
The South Street Seaport
The Fulton Fish Market(smelly as heck, but an important part of history)

Just West of my neighborhood is:

Ground Zero, it used to be called the World Trade Center but now looks like a big empty wound.
The Woolworth Building (was once Ny's Tallest, until the Empire State came along)
The New York Stock Exchange (I think this place gives the prescription drug companies most of their business)

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 07/20/05 at 6:57 am

Gosh! Two homes! You have servants as well...?!!

Didn't work too bloody well, did it?!!

yeah it's been pretty much ruined to only several feet high over the many years, I think the original height was around 12ft.
Still I wouldn't like to have come face to face with those tough, burly Roman soldiers on sentry duty dotted along it at various points, although on thinking, perhaps that might have been fun  ;)

Err nah only one house - (up North)  I live in the staff accomodation at the school in West Sussex, a flat which was designed for 'existing' only, not living, mainly cos' it's bleedin' miniscule.  :( 

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 07/21/05 at 1:51 pm

Yeah I live near Stonehenge and the Avebury Stones down here - well about 40 miles away anyways.

Written By: Zella on 07/21/05 at 4:29 pm

I live in Los Angeles. If anything here is over ten years old, they tear it down and replace it with something more stucco-y.... ::)

Written By: Paul on 07/21/05 at 4:31 pm

I live in Los Angeles. If anything here is over ten years old, they tear it down and replace it with something more stucco-y.... ::)

Almost like South London, but replaced with something more concrete monstrosity-ish...

Written By: danootaandme on 07/21/05 at 4:44 pm

Yeah I live near Stonehenge and the Avebury Stones down here - well about 40 miles away anyways.

I went there once a long time ago in my wilder days, at that time you could still walk right up to the
stones, in and around them, and touch them.  I hear they don't let you do that anymore. ???

Written By: Bobby on 07/21/05 at 4:44 pm

Plymouth Hoe and the Mayflower Steps at the Barbican.  :)

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 07/21/05 at 4:47 pm

I went there once a long time ago in my wilder days, at that time you could still walk right up to the
stones, in and around them, and touch them.  I hear they don't let you do that anymore. ???

I went there with my family when I was about 5.  Can't remember much though.

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 07/22/05 at 4:39 am

Yeah that's right - I went for the first time a few years ago and was gutted at not being able to get right up to them, visiting them was not the spiritual experience I expected,  for a start there's a bloody great motorway (Freeway) a few hundred yards away cut right into the lovely countryside   >:(   then you're cordoned off and ushered around the stones as if your a sheep being herded by a sheepdog.

The Summer Soltice people have it good though, they get to go and dance around them in the nude   ::)  with no restrictions whatsoever, except they can't climb on the stones.

Written By: Gis on 07/22/05 at 6:51 am

Well if tourists didn't chip chunks out of them as souveniers and idiots cover them in graffiti then we would all still be able to walk round the stones.Thats human nature for you........... ::)

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 07/22/05 at 7:17 am

Well if tourists didn't chip chunks out of them as souveniers and idiots cover them in graffiti then we would all still be able to walk round the stones.Thats human nature for you........... ::)

..that's true, but there is an awful commercial vibe at the place now, you might as well be on a conveyor belt, still I get your drift.

Written By: bj26 on 07/22/05 at 7:36 am

I live near, John Hunt Morgan's house,he was a dashing confederate general 8)

http://www.cr.nps.gov/nr/travel/lexington/buildings/hun.jpg

and Mary Todd Lincoln's house (Abe's wife), she eventually went :D

http://www.cr.nps.gov/nr/travel/lexington/buildings/mtl.jpg

Lexington, KY

Written By: danootaandme on 07/23/05 at 6:51 am

I live near, John Hunt Morgan's house,he was a dashing confederate general 8)

and Mary Todd Lincoln's house (Abe's wife), she eventually went :D

That sometimes happens when your husbands brains are splattered all over your gown.  :(

Written By: whistledog on 09/09/06 at 11:14 pm

I live about 10km away from Fort Henry, which was constructed during the War of 1812 to protect the Royal Navy Dockyard

http://www2.potsdam.edu/smith20/fthaerial.JPG

It is now a National Historic Site of Canada and brings in tourists from all over North America to see the shows they put on each year :)

Written By: Sister Morphine on 09/09/06 at 11:17 pm

Do you live near any historical sites or landmarks?

No.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/10/06 at 4:20 am

Yes I do, but which one shall I start with?

Written By: danootaandme on 09/10/06 at 9:17 am

Do you live near any historical sites or landmarks?

No.

Nothing?  I thought Georgia would be rife would civil war sites.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/10/06 at 9:45 am

As in the song Marching Through Georgia?

Written By: Little_devil_rider on 09/10/06 at 10:52 am

I live about 3 miles from Philadelphia Pa. ;D

Written By: Sister Morphine on 09/10/06 at 11:26 am

Georgia does have civil war sites but I don't live near any of them.  That was the question. 

Written By: danootaandme on 09/10/06 at 2:53 pm

As in the song Marching Through Georgia?

Yeah, though that isn't a song old Georgians want to hear, though I like it.

Written By: danootaandme on 09/10/06 at 3:10 pm

Georgia does have civil war sites but I don't live near any of them.  That was the question. 

You aren't that far from Kenesaw Mountain, the name alone sends shivers up the spine of any baseball fanatic.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 09/10/06 at 3:16 pm

You aren't that far from Kenesaw Mountain, the name alone sends shivers up the spine of any baseball fanatic.

Yes I am pretty far from Kennesaw Mountain.....I live near Duluth.  That ain't a hop, skip and a jump away. 

And the name doesn't send shivers up *my* spine.  He was a commissioner....he banned the Black Sox.....that gets shivers?

Written By: La Roche on 09/10/06 at 3:19 pm

Of course!

The second oldest public house in the world, the Bakers Arms is my local pub (watch out for the beams!).
It dates back to the mid 1400's, just goes to show, Empires may come and go, but a good boozer stays forever.

The actual city of Leicester was founded in AD 50 as Ratae Coritanorum and as such there are Roman walls and roads hanging around that are about 2000 years old, the most famous of these being Jewry Wall, which is the wall to the old Roman Bath house and doesn't actually have anything to do with the Jews in the city (what with them having been kicked out during the middle ages).

Many of the place names and older buildings around here were named or built by the Vikings as Leicester was also one of the five walled cities of Danelaw.

The tomb of Richard III is also in the cathedral, but his body isn't. It was thrown in to the river some time after his burial.

The Guildhall, Cathedral and Clock Tower are all of Historical significance and I dare say all of them are older than any of the existing Settlements in North America (which tells us a lot about the way History works).

The very first roundabout in the world was also built in Leicester... for which I can only apologize.

Written By: Step-chan on 09/10/06 at 3:29 pm

I don't know what historical landmarks I live near in Indianapolis, except for a house that one of the presidents lived in(I think, if I remember correctly).

Edit: Benjamin Harrison house, where he used to live. It's not too far from this library either(about 10-11 blocks away).

Written By: Morton on 09/10/06 at 4:53 pm

I think i've posted in here previously, but the nearest landmark to me is the Angel of the North. But of course, to anyone outside of the UK, I may as well be speaking turkish, because it isn't particularly historical.

Plenty of old castles and ruins nearby, though, but none worth mentioning in particular

Written By: loki 13 on 09/10/06 at 5:43 pm

I live about 3 miles from Philadelphia Pa. ;D

This is a broad reference, you should have mentioned some sites;

Indepedence Hall, The Liberty Bell, Betsy Ross House, Benjamin Franklin House and Grave,
Edgar Allen Poe House, The Mutter Museum, The Rodin Museum, Boat House Row and
The Philadelphia Museum Of Art were they just dedicated the Rocky Statue.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/10/06 at 6:05 pm

I don't live too far from Calvin Colledge's homestead. The general store where he was sworn in as Pres (by his father who was Justice of the Peace) is still there, too.

Cat

Written By: lorac61469 on 09/10/06 at 6:32 pm

The city I live in is the birthplace of country music.  In July 1927 the Carter Family made the first country record here in Bristol, Tn.

Written By: loki 13 on 09/10/06 at 7:01 pm

The city I live in is the birthplace of country music.  In July 1927 the Carter Family made the first country record here in Bristol, Tn.

Bristol is also famous for something else, One of these years I will get to Bristol Motor Speedway
to watch a night race. 1/2 mile of pure excitement, Bristol is my favorite track on the NASCAR
circuit. I think I would watch bicycles race at Bristol.

Written By: lorac61469 on 09/10/06 at 7:17 pm

Bristol is also famous for something else, One of these years I will get to Bristol Motor Speedway
to watch a night race. 1/2 mile of pure excitement, Bristol is my favorite track on the NASCAR
circuit. I think I would watch bicycles race at Bristol.

It's quite an event...We go from a city of 40,000 to 140,000 people during a race weekend. 

My daughter's pre-school class took a trip to BMS and she got to ride around the track...in a school bus!!  LOL!!

Written By: loki 13 on 09/10/06 at 7:25 pm

It's quite an event...We go from a city of 40,000 to 140,000 people during a race weekend. 

My daughter's pre-school class took a trip to BMS and she got to ride around the track...in a school bus!!  LOL!!

Must have been some experience.  :)

Put 42 more school buses on the track and it would be quite a spectacle.  ;D

Written By: La Roche on 09/11/06 at 6:10 pm

I used to live one block away from Yogi Berra's house. A landmark for some.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 09/11/06 at 6:20 pm

I live outside one of the world's most treasured cities, San Francisco (and well, if you are thinking Oakland, I guess you can think of it that way, too  ;D )

Probably the Golden Gate and the Oakland Bay Bridge are the two most famous landmarks within 45 miles of me. Other landmarks for my area are:

Mt. Diablo State Park (our local mountain)
Black Diamond Mines (a coal mine)
John Muir Historical Site (Martinez, CA)
UC Berkeley Campus (Berkeley, CA)

Written By: spaceace on 09/30/06 at 8:52 pm

I live near James Buchanan's retirement estate (Wheatland)  Lancaster is home to Major General John Fulton Reynolds.  He was the first high ranking officer to meet his maker at Gettysburg.  Lancaster PA was also the capitol of the U.S. for a few days.

Written By: whistledog on 09/30/06 at 9:01 pm

In a nearby town known as Perth, they have a statue of Ian Millar and Big Ben.  I've never been to Perth, but I should visit someday.  It's like 20 minutes or so away

http://bigben.ca/photos/400-Unveiled.jpg

Ian Millar is a retired Equestrian and Big Ben was his horse.  From 1972-1999, he won more than 40 Grand Prix titles worldwide, and still holds the North American record for most Grand Prix wins

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 09/30/06 at 9:19 pm

I live near James Buchanan's retirement estate (Wheatland)  Lancaster is home to Major General John Fulton Reynolds.  He was the first high ranking officer to meet his maker at Gettysburg.  Lancaster PA was also the capitol of the U.S. for a few days.

oh wow, you live near Lancaster, Pa? We go there all the time. I live in pa...but closer to Pittsburgh.

Written By: spaceace on 09/30/06 at 9:36 pm

I live IN Lancaster PA!!!

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 09/30/06 at 9:39 pm

I live IN Lancaster PA!!!

no WAY!!! that's awesome! we go there at LEAST once a year....but sometimes more. AND, I go with my sister sometimes up to Shippensburg...she has friends there. WOW....you don't live too far from me...cool!  8)

Do you live in the country...like near the Amish?

Written By: GREEN67 on 09/30/06 at 9:46 pm

8) Shiloh..We go there alot..I am totally into The Cival War...AND of course..Graceland..I do live in Elvis land..lol...Its really a cool place to visit..

Written By: spaceace on 09/30/06 at 9:48 pm

I live in the city.  But I grew up around the Amish.  I know where Shippensburg is.  You live in Pittsburg.  I was born in Sewickley.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 09/30/06 at 9:49 pm

I live in the city.  But I grew up around the Amish.  I know where Shippensburg is.  You live in Pittsburg.  I was born in Sewickley.

I actually live about 45 minutes from Pittsburgh...closer to Greensburg.

Written By: spaceace on 09/30/06 at 9:53 pm

Greensburg is more towards the center of the state?

Written By: Sister Morphine on 09/30/06 at 9:56 pm

Greensburg is more towards the center of the state?

No, it's SE of Pittsburgh and Pittsburgh is in Western Pennsylvania.

Written By: spaceace on 09/30/06 at 10:00 pm

Oh okay.  I don't get out that far too often.  (My Amish buggy can't handle the open road...LOL)

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 09/30/06 at 10:03 pm

Oh okay.  I don't get out that far too often.  (My Amish buggy can't handle the open road...LOL)

I love the drive on Rt. 30...from Ligonier...and out to Lancaster...so very scenic!

Written By: spaceace on 09/30/06 at 10:07 pm

Yes, it is.  My I suggest that the next time you visit Amish Country you take a drive past New Holland, Intercourse more towards Chester County . . . it's lovely.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 09/30/06 at 10:09 pm

Yes, it is.  My I suggest that the next time you visit Amish Country you take a drive past New Holland, Intercourse more towards Chester County . . . it's lovely.

is that where "Shady Maple" restaurant is near?  If so..we've been out that way...very lovely.

Written By: spaceace on 09/30/06 at 10:16 pm

After you get done having lunch at Shady Maple keep driving East.  (Beyond the tourist traps)

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 09/30/06 at 10:28 pm

After you get done having lunch at Shady Maple keep driving East.  (Beyond the tourist traps)

I will have to do that next time I am out that way. ;)

Written By: danootaandme on 10/01/06 at 1:36 pm

8) Shiloh..We go there alot..I am totally into The Cival War...AND of course..Graceland..I do live in Elvis land..lol...Its really a cool place to visit..

I'm into it, too.  Just finished reading the Memoirs of US Grant.  Went to Gettysburg over the summer, but have been planning a trip to Petersburg/Appomatox since finding two ancestors who were there.  This stuff is great.

Written By: spaceace on 10/01/06 at 1:44 pm

Gettysburg is my "stomping grounds".  I go every two months.  I have not seen Shiloh, I really need to get down that way.  :)

Written By: danootaandme on 10/01/06 at 1:56 pm

Gettysburg is my "stomping grounds".  I go every two months.  I have not seen Shiloh, I really need to get down that way.  :)

Gettysburg this past summer was my first and I loved it, and do plan to go back again.  My greatgreats on may mothers fathers side were slaves in the Petersburg/Richmond area so I would like to go see that.  A great uncle from my mother mothers side was from New York and enlisted and was at Hatchers Run and Appomatox.  A great uncle who was a Petersburg(area) slave joined the union army at Petersburg and was at Appomatox.  It adds a whole new dimension to it.

Written By: spaceace on 10/01/06 at 3:10 pm

I'm glad you liked Gettysburg.  It adds another dimension when you have family members that fought in an area.  The emotional connection to that area is unbelievable. :)

Written By: GREEN67 on 10/02/06 at 12:04 am

8) Shiloh is great...I like to go during the week..If you have ever seen the most haunted on the travel channell , its in there, there is this one pond...you can just FEEL the ghosts..its eerie and surreal

Written By: spaceace on 10/02/06 at 10:59 pm

At Gettysburg there are a few areas like that.  Devils Den and the Valley of Death.

Written By: GREEN67 on 10/03/06 at 5:20 am

At Gettysburg there are a few areas like that.  Devils Den and the Valley of Death.
  :o I saw Gettysburg on the Travel Channell too...I would love to go there...I am supersensative to things of the supernatural

Written By: danootaandme on 10/03/06 at 5:34 am

Devils Den is eerie....I felt I should lie down and die, or get up and run all at the same time, which I guess is the story surrounding that place.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 10/03/06 at 1:00 pm

I learned while traveling through Isleton that the radio towers over there are some of the tallest in the world! I drove right past them!  :)

Written By: spaceace on 10/03/06 at 6:55 pm

When people are at Devil's Den I have seen then jump from boulder to boulder.  I can't do that.  People became trapped in the large cracks and I know that.  The Valley of Death, you can feel a bit of the misery.

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/07/06 at 1:42 pm

http://www.archimage.co.uk/Images/Construction/004Construction.jpg

About three miles from my home is Wembley Stadium, of which the old famous ground has been demolished and this monstrosity stands in its place.

Check for new replies or respond here...