inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Eek!There's a mouse in my house..any advice?!<UPDATE>

Written By: ktelqueen on 07/17/05 at 11:56 pm

ok..so i've stopped running on the spot and shrieking 'eek' long enough to post this..the l'il guy even danced on my foot for a minute before continuing on his way..well,maybe it was more like a millisecond but it felt like an eternity..my own advice is:MOVE!! but i'm trying to be cool about it  :-[ ::) ;D

if you guys have any words of wisdom,please share..should i consider getting a cat? :D

Subject: Re: Eek!There's a mouse in my house..any advice?!

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 07/17/05 at 11:58 pm

a cat will almost definitely do the trick, Maria.  We have two cats, and in our old house, we would have an occasional mouse that would get in....but thanks to my two girls (kitties)...they always took care of that "problem" for me! LOL!

Erin :)

Written By: Apricot on 07/18/05 at 12:01 am

If you can't afford a cat or an exterminator... just get some glue traps.. they really work.. However, you might not like cleaning the bodies.. they get stuck by their faces in the traps.. often, they're still alive and twitching.. it's bad.

I'd say go with those "No See, No Touch" bits.. they don't work as well, but you don't have to deal with the writing bodies.

Written By: ktelqueen on 07/18/05 at 12:04 am

a cat will almost definitely do the trick, Maria.  We have two cats, and in our old house, we would have an occasional mouse that would get in....but thanks to my two girls (kitties)...they always took care of that "problem" for me! LOL!

thanks,Erin..i've been contemplating getting a kitten and this is perhaps a sign lol...the only other time i've seen a mouse first-hand was years ago when i did have a cat..that seemed to be more about catching it,hanging out with it for a bit and letting it go..before finally getting rid of it(same Wilma Flintstone routine that night too  :-[)..this place is a hundred years old and i have a feeling that if July has brought me one,the winter will surely bring me more  :\'(...ok..without a cat at the moment,any suggestions? ???

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 07/18/05 at 12:08 am

Here's some info I found online.....

1) Live Traps
The most humane form of mouse trap, live traps come in both single- and multi-catch designs. Both are designed to lure and trap live mice which can then be released far, far away. Live traps MUST be checked and any caught creatures released EVERY DAY. Make sure you are far away from the door when you release it (string is useful), and wash your hands thoroughly after handling the traps.
2) Snap Traps
These are what most people think of when they think of mouse traps. You put a piece of cheese or other bait on a trigger, and when the mouse takes it a spring lets loose and he is killed instantly. These traps also need to be checked, emptied, and re-set every day so that the dead mice don't decay and start to smell. Again, be careful when emptying these traps, wear gloves, and wash your hands.
3) Glue Traps
Simple in design, these traps are a piece of paper or cardboard coated with a strong glue in which the mice get stuck, eventually suffocating or dying of dehydration. Once the animals are dead, the traps can be thrown away. Be careful, wear gloves, and wash your hands after handling these traps.

Written By: ktelqueen on 07/18/05 at 12:08 am

If you can't afford a cat or an exterminator... just get some glue traps.. they really work.. However, you might not like cleaning the bodies.. they get stuck by their faces in the traps.. often, they're still alive and twitching.. it's bad.

I'd say go with those "No See, No Touch" bits.. they don't work as well, but you don't have to deal with the writing bodies.

Andrew,if you could only see how my face must look at the moment.. 'cuz it feels pretty freakin' scrunched up reading this!!! :o :D

...so far i'm going with the idea that there's only one who was possibly as scared of me as i was of him lol and maybe he's gone into permanent hiding(a girl can dream  ::))...*looks around for something that might house him as a trap if i spot him again*..'no see,no touch' bits?what are they??

Written By: ktelqueen on 07/18/05 at 12:12 am

Here's some info I found online.....

1) Live Traps
The most humane form of mouse trap, live traps come in both single- and multi-catch designs. Both are designed to lure and trap live mice which can then be released far, far away. Live traps MUST be checked and any caught creatures released EVERY DAY. Make sure you are far away from the door when you release it (string is useful), and wash your hands thoroughly after handling the traps.
2) Snap Traps
These are what most people think of when they think of mouse traps. You put a piece of cheese or other bait on a trigger, and when the mouse takes it a spring lets loose and he is killed instantly. These traps also need to be checked, emptied, and re-set every day so that the dead mice don't decay and start to smell. Again, be careful when emptying these traps, wear gloves, and wash your hands.
3) Glue Traps
Simple in design, these traps are a piece of paper or cardboard coated with a strong glue in which the mice get stuck, eventually suffocating or dying of dehydration. Once the animals are dead, the traps can be thrown away. Be careful, wear gloves, and wash your hands after handling these traps.

Erin,once again,thx for the advice..i'm definitely a girlie girl so the first two options don't exactly seem to be my speed..well,except for the instant dying part(the decaying smell thing kinda turned me off lol)..however,as Andrew said the idea of the glue although seemingly easy and minimal interaction..might kinda freak me out if you have to wait around for the mouse to die..how much did i NOT think i'd have to be dealing with this tonight  ::) :P

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 07/18/05 at 12:15 am

Oh I totally understand....the thought of killing a mouse, or having a trap do the deed....makes me flinch (at the very least).  I am one of "those types" that when I see a spider....i say, "Chris...come and kill this for me"!! LOL!!!  ;D

Written By: ktelqueen on 07/18/05 at 12:18 am

Oh I totally understand....the thought of killing a mouse, or having a trap do the deed....makes me flinch (at the very least).  I am one of "those types" that when I see a spider....i say, "Chris...come and kill this for me"!! LOL!!!  ;D

you are SO speaking my language,girl  ;D ;)

Written By: ktelqueen on 07/18/05 at 12:21 am

Watch out for the glue traps, though, sometimes they can get out of them and THEN you have mice running around missing patches of hair :o

OMG!!Kim,this is going from bad to WORSE!!LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :o ;D

Written By: Apricot on 07/18/05 at 12:36 am

Erin,once again,thx for the advice..i'm definitely a girlie girl so the first two options don't exactly seem to be my speed..well,except for the instant dying part(the decaying smell thing kinda turned me off lol)..however,as Andrew said the idea of the glue although seemingly easy and minimal interaction..might kinda freak me out if you have to wait around for the mouse to die..how much did i NOT think i'd have to be dealing with this tonight  ::) :P

Well, the glue.. we've never waited for them to die.. maybe it's just cause my father's bloody impatient and likes to scare the crap out of my mom, who's deathly afraid of mice {When she was young, she saw a rat the size of a cat while she showered}... I'd say still, go with those "No Touch, No See" traps.. you put them out {they're a small, black circle-cage thing}... and if something goes in, it closes around them.. if the trap's red light is blinking, it caught something.. you just throw it out and put another one down until it stops catching things... never have to see anything writhing bodies or touch any either. :)

Written By: ktelqueen on 07/18/05 at 12:37 am

Well, the glue.. we've never waited for them to die.. maybe it's just cause my father's bloody impatient and likes to scare the crap out of my mom, who's deathly afraid of mice {When she was young, she saw a rat the size of a cat while she showered}... I'd say still, go with those "No Touch, No See" traps.. you put them out {they're a small, black circle-cage thing}... and if something goes in, it closes around them.. if the trap's red light is blinking, it caught something.. you just throw it out and put another one down until it stops catching things... never have to see anything writhing bodies or touch any either. :)

dude!!ok ok..that sounds like my kinda thing(if i have to have a 'thing' where mice are involved  ;D)..thanks,Andrew!! 8)

Written By: ADH13 on 07/18/05 at 1:13 am

Wow, Maria.. not to make light of your situation, cause I'm sure it's horrible, but your timing is pretty ironic!

Just about 2 hours ago, a red flying beetle-type bug got stuck in my hair!!  I was in the backyard and all of a sudden I heard this buzzing right by my ear, and I looked and ewww!!!  I totally screamed!!  My sister-in-law was asleep and she woke up and came running outside to see if I was ok.

Written By: ktelqueen on 07/18/05 at 1:15 am

Wow, Maria.. not to make light of your situation, cause I'm sure it's horrible, but your timing is pretty ironic!

Just about 2 hours ago, a red flying beetle-type bug got stuck in my hair!!  I was in the backyard and all of a sudden I heard this buzzing right by my ear, and I looked and ewww!!!  I totally screamed!!  My sister-in-law was asleep and she woke up and came running outside to see if I was ok.

yikes Andrea!!that's scary too!!when i was little one of those suckers whacked itself into the wall right above my head while i was sleeping and my older sister came to my rescue ..having it hit the wall was bad enough..cannot imagine in my hair  :o

Written By: Miss Tainted on 07/18/05 at 1:17 am

My brother once got a ladybug stuck in his ear and my mom had to pick it out.  :-\\

Written By: ADH13 on 07/18/05 at 1:18 am

yikes Andrea!!that's scary too!!when i was little one of those suckers whacked itself into the wall right above my head while i was sleeping and my older sister came to my rescue ..having it hit the wall was bad enough..cannot imagine in my hair  :o

Yeah, it was pretty scary.. I'm scared of rats & mice too.. If I see one, my first reaction is to jump on the nearest table, couch, desk, counter, etc and scream. :-[

Written By: ADH13 on 07/18/05 at 1:20 am

...and if your hubby is anything like mine, he's probably no help at all...  when I told my husband about the bug in my hair, his reaction:  "It's just a little bug!!"

Written By: bj26 on 07/18/05 at 7:02 am

Just get the cheap 3 for $.99 traps at Wal-Mart, put a little peanut butter on it and WAP!  Then cover it with a grocery bag and that's it, Mickey never knew what hit him.

Written By: whitewolf on 07/18/05 at 10:02 am

mice love peanut butter, my mom puts peanut butter in a floating dish and puts it in a bucket of water. the mice jump in to get a treat and drown.

Written By: Dumb Ass Kid on 07/18/05 at 10:57 am

Mothballs! No, hang on...

Written By: ktelqueen on 07/18/05 at 11:34 am

mice love peanut butter, my mom puts peanut butter in a floating dish and puts it in a bucket of water. the mice jump in to get a treat and drown.

ok,Tina..i'm giving it a whirl..no response yet lol..
thanks!! :)

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/18/05 at 11:38 am

I have always believed that mice can swim.

Written By: ktelqueen on 07/18/05 at 11:40 am

let's hope not!! :D ;D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/18/05 at 12:02 pm

If you are going to get a cat as a mouser, be sure to get a female. Females are much better hunters than males.

Cat

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 07/18/05 at 12:10 pm

I'm not sure if I can offer you much advice, Maria...my cat Sophie prefers to catch the mice that are already outside...instead of the ones that occasionally sneak into the house!!  ::) ;D

Written By: whitewolf on 07/18/05 at 12:56 pm

I don't know if they can or not, mom sets that up before she goes to bed, in the morning there is usually 1 or 2 in there.

Written By: Paul on 07/18/05 at 3:23 pm

Gotta be a kitty for three reasons...

1. Cats are adorable...

2. It's the most gruesome-less way of controlling the pests - mostly the mouse will actually die of fright rather than the cat ripping it to pieces, or leaving it half-dead like traps do...

3. Cats are adorable...(did I mention that?!!)

My little bundle of fluff surpassed herself today by leaving THREE 'gifts' by the back door when I came home tonight, bless...!

The only drawbacks with cats is they'll never clear the evidence away, so you'll have to steel yourself and get rid of the dead rodent yourself...

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 07/18/05 at 3:28 pm

Gotta be a kitty for three reasons...

1. Cats are adorable...

2. It's the most gruesome-less way of controlling the pests - mostly the mouse will actually die of fright rather than the cat ripping it to pieces, or leaving it half-dead like traps do...

3. Cats are adorable...(did I mention that?!!)

My little bundle of fluff surpassed herself today by leaving THREE 'gifts' by the back door when I came home tonight, bless...!

The only drawbacks with cats is they'll never clear the evidence away, so you'll have to steel yourself and get rid of the dead rodent yourself...

I like the way you think!!  ;D ;)

Written By: danootaandme on 07/18/05 at 4:39 pm

This treatment is not as bad as it sounds.  Go to you local garden center and get some urine.  Yes,
the sell bobcat, or fox, or one of those,  in bottles.  They sell stuff the you put the urine on and you
leave it wherever the pesky vermin show up.  When you first pour it our it smells strong, but dissipates
really quickly so you(and any guests) don't smell it, but the mice do and stay away.  It works wonders
and you don't have to do that horrible stuff with traps and dead, or live and squealing, mice. ;)

Written By: ktelqueen on 07/18/05 at 5:27 pm

I don't know if they can or not, mom sets that up before she goes to bed, in the morning there is usually 1 or 2 in there.

i've got two of the 'water traps' geared up at the moment so i'll see if i have any swimmers when i get home from work tonight  :P

Written By: ktelqueen on 07/18/05 at 5:36 pm

thx for the advice,Paul..yes a kitty is something i've been wanting for a long time but would she be able to scare them that much at like 8 weeks old ? ???

hmmm..removing the dead rodent myself..good times  :P

Written By: ktelqueen on 07/18/05 at 5:37 pm

I'm not sure if I can offer you much advice, Maria...my cat Sophie prefers to catch the mice that are already outside...instead of the ones that occasionally sneak into the house!!  ::) ;D

oh great,sis  ::) ;D

Written By: ktelqueen on 07/18/05 at 5:39 pm

This treatment is not as bad as it sounds.  Go to you local garden center and get some urine.  Yes,
the sell bobcat, or fox, or one of those,  in bottles.  They sell stuff the you put the urine on and you
leave it wherever the pesky vermin show up.  When you first pour it our it smells strong, but dissipates
really quickly so you(and any guests) don't smell it, but the mice do and stay away.  It works wonders
and you don't have to do that horrible stuff with traps and dead, or live and squealing, mice. ;)

so Danoota what's the scoop then..do they just stay hidden in the walls or whatever *eek*..the idea is grossing me out(not that everything mice related isn't at the moment  :D)..but i might check it out..hmm..then again..ick lol

Written By: nally on 07/18/05 at 5:45 pm

Once when we were living in our mobile home, we had an experience with a mouse in the house. We had an exterminator come out and make our house mouseproof so that no future mice could come in. What made this experience even more spooky is that it occurred a week before Halloween, so I guess you could say we had a haunted house one week early! :o

It was Monday morning, October 25, 1999; about 1:40 or so. I was sleeping nicely when I heard some ruffling, which awakened me. So I turned on my lamp—AAAH!— there was a mouse in my room! It scampered out of sight. I quickly awakened my parents, shouting, "There's a mouse in my room!!" So they proceeded to look for the mouse (and possibly a couple others); this took the rest of the night. I spent time lying on the couch, trying to get some rest; at about 3:15 or so, my mom took me outside to the carport (we didn't have a garage, since it was a mobile home) and I slept in her car. After the sun came up (7 A.M.-ish), I had to go to school (it was my second year of college), and my dad was alert enough to drive me up there; after he dropped me off, he drove back home instead of to work. The next night, I slept on the couch; the next two nights, we stayed at a hotel.

Written By: nally on 07/18/05 at 10:39 pm

The thing with mice is they never stray far from the "nest".  According to our pest control people, they usually don't go farther than 50 feet or so by themselves.  So, they're kinda like cockroaches....if you see one, there are most likely a few others nearby :(

yeah...there could have been a whole family of them living underneath our mobile home at the time...being that the house's floor is three feet off the ground. :-\\

Written By: karen on 07/19/05 at 8:36 am

hmmm..removing the dead rodent myself..good times  :P

With the cat we used to have it was usually half a mouse!!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/19/05 at 10:00 am

With the cat we used to have it was usually half a mouse!!

Let me guess, a decapitated one. Cats seem to love mouse heads. I have had a few mousers in my day and whenever I found what was left, it was missing its head.

Cat

Written By: gemini61 on 07/19/05 at 10:15 am

We live in the country, so we pretty much have to co-habitate with mice. Yuck!! We've tried everything. They always trip the traps but never get caught, so we tried de-con, but when they die, they stink up the house and you can never find them, so glue traps are the only thing we found that works. Tony takes the trap and mouse outside and after that, I don't want to know what happens!  :o  :P

Written By: lorac614 on 07/19/05 at 10:33 am

Cats are good, UNLESS you get one that like to put on a show for you...Years ago when I lived in my apartment my cat caught a mouse that had gotten into the empty tub (that happened many times and I used to catch them and release them, hey what can I say?  I'm an animal lover!!  LOL!!). 

Anyway, I didn't know she got it and I was sitting in the living room and here comes the cat and sits right down in front of me with the mouse in her mouth.  She'd drop it and it would try to get away and she'd grab it again and flip it up into the air and watch it drop...every time I'd try to get the mouse from her she'd run off with it in her mouth, a few minutes later she'd be right back in front of me torturing the mouse again.  After about 30 minutes of this, the mouse finally died, of course the cat just left it in the middle of the floor for me to clean up.  Not wanting to touch the dead mouse, I grabbed a spatula from the kitchen a scooped it up.

Some day when I have more time, I'll tell you about the mouse I had living in my car for over a month.

Written By: lorac614 on 07/19/05 at 11:05 am

I hope you threw that spatula away or at least disinfected it a bazillion times ;D

Oh believe me that thing went right into the trash with the mouse!!  I could never use it again, even if I boiled it for an hour AND soaked in bleach over night...LOL!!

Written By: karen on 07/19/05 at 11:22 am

Let me guess, a decapitated one. Cats seem to love mouse heads. I have had a few mousers in my day and whenever I found what was left, it was missing its head.

Cat

That's right.  Quite a surprise when you step barefoot on one as you go to bring the milk in from the doorstep.

Written By: whitewolf on 07/19/05 at 11:51 am

http://www.animalden.net/images/animated/smallcritters/mouse.gif

I think this mouse is just as scared about all the ways to get rid of it. ;D

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 07/19/05 at 11:55 am

Anyway, I didn't know she got it and I was sitting in the living room and here comes the cat and sits right down in front of me with the mouse in her mouth.  She'd drop it and it would try to get away and she'd grab it again and flip it up into the air and watch it drop...every time I'd try to get the mouse from her she'd run off with it in her mouth, a few minutes later she'd be right back in front of me torturing the mouse again.  After about 30 minutes of this, the mouse finally died, of course the cat just left it in the middle of the floor for me to clean up.  Not wanting to touch the dead mouse, I grabbed a spatula from the kitchen a scooped it up.

I think it's a game for cats!

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/19/05 at 1:10 pm

Why not?
http://www.toysdirect.co.uk/products/medium/Mousetrap.jpg

Written By: ktelqueen on 07/20/05 at 1:09 am

The thing with mice is they never stray far from the "nest".  According to our pest control people, they usually don't go farther than 50 feet or so by themselves.  So, they're kinda like cockroaches....if you see one, there are most likely a few others nearby :(

Kim,you are just FULL of good news aren't you  ::) ;D

ok..here's the update..yesterday/last night i tried Tina's suggestion of the peanut butter in a floating cup in buckets of water...essentially i created a swimming pool for the mouse according to one of my friends  ::)..result..no dice(or mice lol).

tonight at work one of the maintenance men gave me three springloaded traps and after two training sessions with different people
(did i mention i'm a girlie girl  :-[ ;D)..i came home,donned rubber gloves(since i knew i'd snap my fingers in the trap somehow lol) and finally got all three set..

so far..3 hours later..no result.. :-\\..
i also bought the glue things but after hearing so much about the mice squealing while stuck and trying to chew off their legs(ICK) i opted for this method..hmm..maybe i did scare that mouse away the other night with my 'eek-ing'..ya think  ;D

Written By: Bobby on 07/20/05 at 2:06 am

Oh dear. My ant problem certainly pales in comparison, lol.

Spring-loaded traps are probably the most efficient way. We had a mouse problem in our house when I was very young and we found putting chocolate on the end of the trap instead of cheese works like a charm. Of course, I saw the results . . . Eugh! The mouse was completely severed in half!

Feeling sick yet?  ;D

Either that or get a cat but I know how responsible you are with animals . . .  ;) ;D

Written By: ktelqueen on 07/20/05 at 2:23 am

Oh dear. My ant problem certainly pales in comparison, lol.

hmmm..wouldn't wanna deal with those either  :P ;D

Spring-loaded traps are probably the most efficient way. We had a mouse problem in our house when I was very young and we found putting chocolate on the end of the trap instead of cheese works like a charm. Of course, I saw the results . . . Eugh! The mouse was completely severed in half!

dare i say better that than making a cameo appearance at any moment  :D

Feeling sick yet?  ;D

well,i did just shiver  :-
Either that or get a cat but I know how responsible you are with animals . . .  ;) ;D

excuse me?! ??? :D

Written By: Bobby on 07/20/05 at 2:31 am

hmmm..wouldn't wanna deal with those either  :P ;D

At least they are much smaller, lol.

dare i say better that than making a cameo appearance at any moment  :D

That's the spirit, girl. Toughen up and be a man.  8) ;D

well,i did just shiver  :-excuse me?! ??? :D

Lol.

You have a problem with keeping pets . . . ?  ;D

Written By: ktelqueen on 07/20/05 at 2:47 am

At least they are much smaller, lol.

true..

That's the spirit, girl. Toughen up and be a man.  8) ;D

erm..tempting,but no  ;D

I was about ten years old - I didn't feel too ecstatic about it either.

no doubt LOL!

Lol.

You have a problem with keeping pets . . . ?  ;D

ah!you mean with the idea of being around to look after them?i could handle a kitten..well..except the litterbox part  :P ;D

Written By: Bobby on 07/20/05 at 2:57 am

true..

And less bloody when you kill them, lol.

erm..tempting,but no  ;D

Oh gosh! That reminds me of a South Park episode I watched recently regarding Mr Garrison. I think I will leave that well and truly alone here, LMAO!!!  ;D

no doubt LOL!

It toughened me up in a hurry (well, in a 'I can stand looking at blood and gore' kind of way. I reckon that is due to sharing my dad's passion for horror films, lol).

ah!you mean with the idea of being around to look after them?i could handle a kitten..well..except the litterbox part  :P ;D

I see. The problem with kittens, Maria is that they grow into something called cats and that presents a whole set of problems in itself, lol.

Hey! Even I cleaned the litterbox when my ex was in the hospital. I did a good job of it too.  8)

Written By: ktelqueen on 07/20/05 at 3:11 am

And less bloody when you kill them, lol.

yes,there's that lol

Oh gosh! That reminds me of a South Park episode I watched recently regarding Mr Garrison. I think I will leave that well and truly alone here, LMAO!!!  ;D

i'm doing the math on that one  :o ;D

It toughened me up in a hurry (well, in a 'I can stand looking at blood and gore' kind of way. I reckon that is due to sharing my dad's passion for horror films, lol).

yeah,that and wrestling likely  ;)

I see. The problem with kittens, Maria is that they grow into something called cats and that presents a whole set of problems in itself, lol.

yes,that is a problem lol..i wish kittens could stay that size but on the upside a full-grown cat is likely a better 'mouser'  :-
Hey! Even I cleaned the litterbox when my ex was in the hospital. I did a good job of it too.  8)

top marks,Rob  :D

Written By: Bobby on 07/20/05 at 4:04 am

yes,there's that lol

No blood = no nauseousness  ;D

i'm doing the math on that one  :o ;D

I shouldn't bother. The episode was wrong on so many different levels, LMAO!!!

yeah,that and wrestling likely  ;)

Ah! Big misconception. When I was growing up I watched the WWE (wrestling) and it had very little blood in it because it's target audience was for kids. How else would they be able to sell their Hulk Hogan bandanas and WWE plastic belts in the merchandise shops?  ;D

yes,that is a problem lol..i wish kittens could stay that size but on the upside a full-grown cat is likely a better 'mouser'  :-top marks,Rob  :D

Thanks. I'm not afraid to get my hands dirty . . . Well I used gloves but you know what I mean, lol.  ;D

Written By: Apricot on 07/20/05 at 10:13 am

Our first dog, back when he was still alive, found a mouse while we were asleep.. we heard noise, so we came downstairs, and found our dog, holding the mouse by the tail.. and that mouse was cut UP! It was insane.. I mean SERIOUSLY, this mouse was torn apart.. there were like, bones showing and crap.. and then the dog looked at us like he was in trouble.  ;D

Written By: Zella on 07/21/05 at 4:35 pm

Have you named it yet...?  ???

Written By: Apricot on 07/21/05 at 4:38 pm

Have you named it yet...?  ???

Oooh! Oooh! Call Him Gerald! He May Be Getting Rather Old, But He's A Good Mouse!

Written By: Zella on 07/21/05 at 5:14 pm

Okay...can someone please explain to me the correlation between women and being afraid of mice, spiders, snakes etc., because I just don't get it...  ???

I mean, it is genetic, like maybe there is a being-afraid-of-crawly-things gene right next the it's-bargain-day-I-must shop gene?  :o

Or is it a time honored tradition where mothers teach their daughters at an early age that it makes them look more helpless and big strong men will then flock to rescue them...?   :P

I mean, this whole left brain/right brain thing cannot possibly be responsible for this bizarre phenomena...   :-[

Really - I am at a loss here, someone please impart this secret to me so I can stop banging my head on my desk....   Isn't there just one woman out there who will admit: "I just pick up the spider, snake, mouse etc. and chuck it out the door...."

Please, I know you are out there - I am begging you - come forward now.... please... ::)

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 07/21/05 at 5:20 pm

Okay...can someone please explain to me the correlation between women and being afraid of mice, spiders, snakes etc., because I just don't get it...  ???

I mean, it is genetic, like maybe there is a being-afraid-of-crawly-things gene right next the it's-bargain-day-I-must shop gene?  :o

Or is it a time honored tradition where mothers teach their daughters at an early age that it makes them look more helpless and big strong men will then flock to rescue them...?   :P

I mean, this whole left brain/right brain thing cannot possibly be responsible for this bizarre phenomena...   :-I won't go near snakes!!! 

Written By: Zella on 07/21/05 at 5:23 pm

Okay, Zella...

I can chuck a spider or mouse out the door, but I won't go near snakes!!!   

What if they are not rattling...? ;)

Written By: Paul on 07/21/05 at 5:24 pm

Only one thing that freaks me out...

...cockroaches...

...for the size of the bloody things, they're so dam' quick and virtually indestructable...I dropped a half-brick on one once and it still scuttled off!!

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 07/21/05 at 5:25 pm

What if they are not rattling...? ;)

;D ;)

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 07/21/05 at 5:27 pm

...cockroaches...

...for the size of the bloody things, they're so dam' quick and virtually indestructable...I dropped a half-brick on one once and it still scuttled off!!

I've seen so many of those in my life that they don't faze me anymore!

They are definitely impossible to kill, though!  :P

Written By: ktelqueen on 07/21/05 at 5:45 pm

Zella,i'm the poster child for the wimpy girl when it comes to that stuff  :-[ l..

no, i haven't named it :D ..i actually haven't seen it since Sunday night  8)..

i have had no action on my 3 spring-loaded traps with peanut butter so today before i left i succumbed to the glue trap idea.. :-\\

Written By: Paul on 07/21/05 at 5:48 pm

i have had no action on my 3 spring-loaded traps with peanut butter so today before i left i succumbed to the glue trap idea.. :-\\

Get the kitty, Maria...you know it makes sense!!

Written By: ktelqueen on 07/21/05 at 5:49 pm

Get the kitty, Maria...you know it makes sense!!

you think a tiny kitten can bring down a rodent?  ??? :)

Written By: RockandRollFan on 07/21/05 at 5:50 pm

Isn't there just one woman out there who will admit: "I just pick up the spider, snake, mouse etc. and chuck it out the door...."

No sorry, but as a man, I'll admit I'm scared...yephttp://www.geocities.com/klaatu_77/nod.gif

Written By: jiminy on 07/21/05 at 5:53 pm

Bacon is a good bait, at the least you will find out if the mouse is kosher

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 07/21/05 at 5:54 pm

you think a tiny kitten can bring down a rodent?  ??? :)

It might not bring down the rodent, but it'll definitely keep it at bay!  :D

Written By: ktelqueen on 07/21/05 at 5:55 pm

It might not bring down the rodent, but it'll definitely keep it at bay!  :D

gotcha! i just heard about a piercing signal only audible to mice that you plug in..anybody...?

Written By: whitewolf on 07/21/05 at 5:56 pm

I mean, this whole left brain/right brain thing cannot possibly be responsible for this bizarre phenomena...   :-[

Really - I am at a loss here, someone please impart this secret to me so I can stop banging my head on my desk....   Isn't there just one woman out there who will admit: "I just pick up the spider, snake, mouse etc. and chuck it out the door...."

Please, I know you are out there - I am begging you - come forward now.... please... ::)

Mice-no problem, I have had white mice for pets in the past.

spiders- I squish them.
snakes-I see them and pass out.

Written By: Paul on 07/21/05 at 6:10 pm

gotcha! i just heard about a piercing signal only audible to mice that you plug in..anybody...?

Mariah Carey album...

Written By: Apricot on 07/21/05 at 8:17 pm

...cockroaches...

Oh God, I hate those things.. they scare me to no end.. it's cause they don't die.

Written By: gemini61 on 07/21/05 at 8:31 pm

Ok, the daddy long leg kind of spiders, I'll pick them up and chuck em' out, other bugs don't bother me either, but mice and snakes. . . no way!  :P  And my daughters, oh lord, you should hear them yell when they see a spider in the house. You'd think someone died or something. I'll go running in to see what's wrong, and it's "a spider, a spider, kill it, kill it" so I grab a shoe and smash it and wonder how the heck are these kids going to survive on their own!  ;D

Written By: lorac614 on 07/21/05 at 8:55 pm

In my original post I admitted to getting a live mouse out of an empty tub and releasing it outside (actually did it a few times).  I don't have a problem with live mice, I just didn't want to pick up a dead one.

Also I had a mouse living in my car for a month (came out of a bag of trash I was loading into the trunk to take to the dump), I even fed it becuase I didn't want it dying in the car.  It ran over my foot while driving one day.

I'm totally fine with snakes and other reptiles.  Bugs I'm not too crazy about, but I try to act normal if I see one, so my daughter doesn't pick up on my fears.

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 07/21/05 at 9:24 pm

Mariah Carey album...

ROFL!  ;D

Written By: C.NOIZE on 07/21/05 at 9:27 pm

We used to have them in our house.  They didn't work for us . . . the mice still got in.

Written By: Bobby on 07/22/05 at 5:16 pm

One word . . . Shotgun.  ;D

Written By: jiminy on 07/22/05 at 5:18 pm

a better idea ;)
http://www.military.com/soldiertech/0,14632,Soldiertech_M107,,00.html?ESRC=recruiting.nl

Written By: ktelqueen on 07/22/05 at 5:19 pm

that's a lovely idea Rob  ::) ;D

Written By: Bobby on 07/22/05 at 5:36 pm

that's a lovely idea Rob  ::) ;D

I thought you would approve.  ;D

Written By: Apricot on 07/22/05 at 5:37 pm

Pssht, no sissy shotgun!

http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/land/m1a1-tank-iny.jpg

Written By: Bobby on 07/22/05 at 5:38 pm

Pssht, no sissy shotgun!

How is Maria going to get that in the house?  ;D

Written By: ktelqueen on 07/22/05 at 5:40 pm

do you remember how i got the dolphin into the hotel room? ;D ;D ;D

Written By: Apricot on 07/22/05 at 5:41 pm

*shrugs* I dunno, internet?

Written By: Bobby on 07/22/05 at 5:58 pm

do you remember how i got the dolphin into the hotel room? ;D ;D ;D

Ha ha! Yep!  ;D

Written By: Bobby on 07/22/05 at 5:58 pm

*shrugs* I dunno, internet?

A virtual tank, lol.  ;D

Written By: Paul on 07/22/05 at 6:00 pm

Pssht, no sissy shotgun!

And no bloody walls, ceiling and floor after you've done...!

Written By: ktelqueen on 07/22/05 at 6:01 pm

..or records,shoes or clothes  ;D

Written By: Apricot on 07/22/05 at 6:01 pm

And no bloody walls, ceiling and floor after you've done...!

But no freeloadin' mouse neither! YEAH!

Written By: Paul on 07/22/05 at 6:04 pm

Not unless he hijacks the tank...

Written By: Apricot on 07/22/05 at 6:05 pm

Not unless he hijacks the tank...

http://aboutfacts.net/LargePictures/History6/Bomber.jpg

Written By: Bobby on 07/22/05 at 9:03 pm

But no freeloadin' mouse neither! YEAH!

YEAH!!! THAT'S THE WAY!!!!

Get the sucker the extreme way.  8) ;D

Written By: ktelqueen on 07/22/05 at 9:05 pm

YEAH!!! THAT'S THE WAY!!!!

Get the sucker the extreme way.  8) ;D

5 days later..any way at all would be nice thankyou  ;D

Written By: Bobby on 07/22/05 at 9:17 pm

5 days later..any way at all would be nice thankyou  ;D

Right! I'm sending my atomic bomb over.  ;D

Written By: ktelqueen on 07/22/05 at 9:18 pm

Right! I'm sending my atomic bomb over.  ;D

perfect.

Written By: Bobby on 07/22/05 at 9:24 pm

perfect.

Tee hee. Only one slight drawback . . .  ::) ;D

Written By: ktelqueen on 07/22/05 at 9:25 pm

Tee hee. Only one slight drawback . . .  ::) ;D

only one..and 'slight' you say... ::)

Written By: Bobby on 07/22/05 at 9:33 pm

only one..and 'slight' you say... ::)

Well . . . At least it will put an end to your mouse troubles.  ;D

Written By: ktelqueen on 07/22/05 at 9:34 pm

Well . . . At least it will put an end to your mouse troubles.  ;D

...and to me  :o ;D

Written By: Bobby on 07/22/05 at 9:42 pm

...and to me  :o ;D

Well, I wouldn't want that to happen.  ;)  :)

Written By: whitewolf on 07/22/05 at 9:45 pm

still have the mouse problem?

Written By: ktelqueen on 07/22/05 at 9:47 pm

still have the mouse problem?

he's  ^ pretty cute,Tina  ;D..

yes i do and btw,a girl at work told me that the secret to the bucket trick is to put a board up against the bucket for the mouse to use to get into it...i'll have a virtual mouse amusement park in my house by sunday at this rate.. :D

Written By: whitewolf on 07/22/05 at 9:56 pm

he's  ^ pretty cute,Tina  ;D..

yes i do and btw,a girl at work told me that the secret to the bucket trick is to put a board up against the bucket for the mouse to use to get into it...i'll have a virtual mouse amusement park in my house by sunday at this rate.. :D

Like this one ;D

http://store1.yimg.com/I/pet-guys_1853_9066020

Written By: ktelqueen on 07/22/05 at 9:58 pm

Like this one ;D

http://store1.yimg.com/I/pet-guys_1853_9066020

;D

yeah,like that one  ;D

Written By: whitewolf on 07/22/05 at 10:00 pm

actually about that water bucket mouse trap, I always thought they jumped up into the bucket.

Written By: Apricot on 07/22/05 at 10:01 pm

actually about that water bucket mouse trap, I always thought they jumped up into the bucket.

Hmm.. do you really want a bucket full of dead mice, floating in water? Mice tend to die with their eyes open, I've noticed... and they're always looking at you.

Written By: ktelqueen on 07/22/05 at 10:02 pm

well,some people at work mocked that idea saying they couldn't possibly get up that high..but when i researched mice on-line the other night(stimulating reading  ::) )i learned that they can jump as high as 12 inches and even higher with a 'running start'   :D..who knows..

Written By: whitewolf on 07/22/05 at 10:04 pm

Hmm.. do you really want a bucket full of dead mice, floating in water? Mice tend to die with their eyes open, I've noticed... and they're always looking at you.

shhh, your gonna freak ktelqueen out.

Written By: ktelqueen on 07/22/05 at 10:04 pm

that's sweet,Andrew,lol..i'm going with the fact that i just have one..not enough for a bucketful  :o ;D

Written By: ktelqueen on 07/22/05 at 10:05 pm

shhh, your gonna freak ktelqueen out.

ya think?! :o ;D

Written By: Apricot on 07/22/05 at 10:07 pm

that's sweet,Andrew,lol..i'm going with the fact that i just have one..not enough for a bucketful  :o ;D

;D I love this thread so much.

I stick with my original recommendation:

Written By: Bobby on 07/22/05 at 10:08 pm

I stick with my original recommendation:

Yay! Get the tank out!

I like Andy's way of thinking.  ;)

Written By: RockandRollFan on 07/22/05 at 10:10 pm

I am not thrilled with this thread only because I opened up and admitted I'm "Afraid" of little critters and was completely ignored. So much for honestyhttp://www.geocities.com/mark21566/no.gif

Written By: ktelqueen on 07/22/05 at 10:12 pm

how much do i wish i didn't have to start it..but you guys have been awesome with your advice..well for the most part..except.. *coughs*Rob*coughs*

Written By: RockandRollFan on 07/22/05 at 10:15 pm

I am not thrilled with this thread only because I opened up and admitted I'm "Afraid" of little critters and was completely ignored. So much for honestyhttp://www.geocities.com/mark21566/no.gif
NOW I really feel like a ghosthttp://www.geocities.com/mark21566/no.gif

Written By: Apricot on 07/22/05 at 10:16 pm

NOW I really feel like a ghosthttp://www.geocities.com/mark21566/no.gif

It was only one response no one said anything, man.. don't get down on yourself so easy.

Written By: Apricot on 07/22/05 at 10:17 pm

but you guys have been awesome with your advice.

'Specially my tank.  :D  ;D

Written By: Bobby on 07/22/05 at 10:17 pm

This thread was started because Maria has a mouse she wants to get rid of.  ???

I wasn't aware you were afraid of mice, Mark. We can't be thinking about you all the time.

Written By: Bobby on 07/22/05 at 10:18 pm

how much do i wish i didn't have to start it..but you guys have been awesome with your advice..well for the most part..except.. *coughs*Rob*coughs*

:-[ ;D

Written By: RockandRollFan on 07/22/05 at 10:19 pm

This thread was started because Maria has a mouse she wants to get rid of.  ???

I wasn't aware you were afraid of mice, Mark. We can't be thinking about you all the time.
I know THAT, Rob...however, I did make a post eluding to my being afraid :D It's all good :)

Written By: Bobby on 07/22/05 at 10:21 pm

I know THAT, Rob...however, I did make a post eluding to my being afraid :D It's all good :)

So what is your problem as alluded to in your above posts?  ???

Written By: NullandVoid on 07/22/05 at 10:26 pm

crack open a heineken, pour it in a bowl,  sit it on the floor-pound the drunken mouse in the morning.

shoot I got my hamster loaded with one capful ;)

Written By: ktelqueen on 07/22/05 at 10:29 pm

crack open a heineken, pour it in a bowl,  sit it on the floor-pound the drunken mouse in the morning.

shoot I got my hamster loaded with one capful ;)

if that works,there's a Keith's about to be cracked open  ;D

Written By: NullandVoid on 07/22/05 at 10:40 pm

if that works,there's a Keith's about to be cracked open  ;D

I'm serious. My hamster(God rest his little soul) would stare at my beer and sniff the bottle. I once caught him licking his little chops. So one day I broke donw and hit him off with a capful. I heard nothing from him the rest of the night. He was laid out with a piece of a chew stick clenched in his jaw(like a cigarette). I laughed for days over that.

Written By: whitewolf on 07/22/05 at 10:55 pm

http://www.animalden.net/images/animated/smallcritters/mousedrunk.gif

;D

Written By: RockandRollFan on 07/22/05 at 11:05 pm

So what is your problem as alluded to in your above posts?  ???

It was only one response no one said anything, man.. don't get down on yourself so easy.
It's justa memory now....no biggie, sorry :)

Subject: Re: Eek!There's a mouse in my house..any advice?!<UPDATE>

Written By: ktelqueen on 07/24/05 at 10:12 pm

so apparently my mouse had a thing for sunday nights..finally,a week later,he lies dead in between my cupboards on the kitchen floor..gr-oss!!!

lord help me if the other traps get their prey too..i'm trying to go with the fact that there has only ever been one mouse  and i haven't been leaving my back door wide open on beautiful days anymore like i had been doing so hopefully that will make a difference ..

i'm happy to have caught him but totally not looking forward to removing him... :P

ps peanut butter in the spring-loaded trap was 'the winner'  :-[

Written By: RockandRollFan on 07/24/05 at 10:34 pm

so apparently my mouse had a thing for sunday nights..finally,a week later,he lies dead in between my cupboards on the kitchen floor..gr-oss!!!

lord help me if the other traps get their prey too..i'm trying to go with the fact that there has only ever been one mouse  and i haven't been leaving my back door wide open on beautiful days anymore like i had been doing so hopefully that will make a difference ..

i'm happy to have caught him but totally not looking forward to removing him... :P

ps peanut butter in the spring-loaded trap was 'the winner'  :-Sorry you had to go through it, Maria....but I'm happy it's over ;)

Written By: ktelqueen on 07/24/05 at 10:44 pm

Sorry you had to go through it, Maria....but I'm happy it's over ;)

thx Mark..but it's not exactly over..i'm still trying to muster the courage to face it..where's Zella  ;D

Written By: RockandRollFan on 07/24/05 at 11:00 pm

thx Mark..but it's not exactly over..i'm still trying to muster the courage to face it..where's Zella  ;D
;D Hey, you'd have thought me quite the wuss had we lived together and had a mouse in the house. I'd have lost any respect you had for me :D Yes, Zella IS the "Terminator" so if you need her I'll gladly givce her a call ;)

Written By: ktelqueen on 07/24/05 at 11:14 pm

;D Hey, you'd have thought me quite the wuss had we lived together and had a mouse in the house. I'd have lost any respect you had for me :D Yes, Zella IS the "Terminator" so if you need her I'll gladly givce her a call ;)

;D  i'll keep you posted...

Written By: RockandRollFan on 07/24/05 at 11:17 pm

;D  i'll keep you posted...
;)

Written By: gemini61 on 07/25/05 at 5:05 am

ps peanut butter in the spring-loaded trap was 'the winner'  :-friends  ;)

Written By: Bobby on 07/25/05 at 6:19 am

I still thought the use of a shotgun was a good idea . . .  ::) ;) ;D

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 07/25/05 at 6:26 am

ps peanut butter in the spring-loaded trap was 'the winner'  :-I knew peanut butter was good for something.  ::) ;D

Written By: whitewolf on 07/25/05 at 11:37 am

here ktelqueen I got him mounted for you

Hopes Maria know I'm joking.

Written By: nally on 07/25/05 at 4:08 pm

I'm so glad it's all over now. When we had mice in the mobile home in October '99, we used glue traps with peanut butter in them; that worked for most of the critters. Thank heavens we never had any more.

Anyway, I'm glad yours is finally gone.

Written By: ktelqueen on 07/25/05 at 6:21 pm

Glad you caught it. Now just hope he doesn't have any friends  ;)

yeah,if i find Minnie tonight when i get home,i'm going to be beyond freaked out!  :-[

Written By: ktelqueen on 07/25/05 at 6:22 pm

I still thought the use of a shotgun was a good idea . . .  ::) ;) ;D

next!  ::) ;)

Written By: ktelqueen on 07/25/05 at 6:22 pm

I knew peanut butter was good for something.  ::) ;D

yeah,apparently cheese is more 'as seen on tv'  :D

Written By: ktelqueen on 07/25/05 at 6:23 pm

here ktelqueen I got him mounted for you

Hopes Maria know I'm joking.

Tina,you're on a roll girl  ;D

Written By: gemini61 on 07/25/05 at 6:23 pm

yeah,if i find Minnie tonight when i get home,i'm going to be beyond freaked out!  :-[

Or Minnies babies   :D  :P

Written By: ktelqueen on 07/25/05 at 6:24 pm

Or Minnies babies   :D  :P

we're going with the thought that there are no more,k? ;D

Written By: ktelqueen on 07/25/05 at 6:25 pm

I'm so glad it's all over now. When we had mice in the mobile home in October '99, we used glue traps with peanut butter in them; that worked for most of the critters. Thank heavens we never had any more.

Anyway, I'm glad yours is finally gone.

thx,Jeff..good idea about the PB in the gluetraps..i'll add some to mine when i go home..fingers crossed that mine was a solo act..

Written By: gemini61 on 07/25/05 at 6:28 pm

we're going with the thought that there are no more,k? ;D

Yea, didn't mean to freak you out or anything  ;) 

Written By: nally on 07/25/05 at 6:32 pm

thx,Jeff..good idea about the PB in the gluetraps..i'll add some to mine when i go home..fingers crossed that mine was a solo act..

yeah...mice will smell it and be drawn to it. Once they enter the trap, they're stuck in it for good.

Written By: Bobby on 07/26/05 at 3:25 am

next!  ::) ;)

Bazooka?

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 07/27/05 at 4:09 pm

hey Maria....

now that your little mouse is gone....

another one showed up in our house!! LOL!

luckily we have 2 cats...and they don't mess around....they brought their little "present" in the livingroom for us to see first thing this morning....needless to say, my husband disposed of it! LOL!

Written By: ktelqueen on 07/27/05 at 6:46 pm

hey Maria....

mahaha!!that's timing,chick  ;D

luckily we have 2 cats...and they don't mess around....they brought their little "present" in the livingroom for us to see first thing this morning....needless to say, my husband disposed of it! LOL!

right on  8)

Written By: nally on 08/04/05 at 3:52 pm

hey Maria....

Glad yours disappeared quickly, Erin. ;)

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 08/04/05 at 10:14 pm

Glad yours disappeared quickly, Erin. ;)

yes, that is the good thing about having cats in the house.

Erin

Check for new replies or respond here...