inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Is Text Messenging A Big Deal Or Not?

Written By: RockandRollFan on 07/18/05 at 10:31 pm

I think it's stupid. Your thoughts, please ;)

Subject: Re: Is Text Messenging A Big Deal Or Not?

Written By: ADH13 on 07/18/05 at 11:03 pm

It can be convenient when you are somewhere that you can't really talk... At my old job I used text msgs alot because it wouldn't look too good if I was chatting with my friends on the phone while on company time.  It is also handy for sending information that someone might want to keep in their phone, such as phone numbers, etc.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 07/18/05 at 11:12 pm

It can be convenient when you are somewhere that you can't really talk... At my old job I used text msgs alot because it wouldn't look too good if I was chatting with my friends on the phone while on company time.  It is also handy for sending information that someone might want to keep in their phone, such as phone numbers, etc.
That's cool, I was just wondering why it seems to be all the rage among teenagers. Oh well, at least they might learn how to spell correctly :D ;)

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 07/18/05 at 11:14 pm

I really don't like it because it usually takes SO long to type out the message that you are wanting to send...it can be convenient sometimes....Chris used to text me when he was at work...just to say hi, etc...but I really think it is more of a pain then anything to use.

Erin :)

Written By: nondiva234 on 07/18/05 at 11:33 pm

I don't care either way...really, it doesn't make much of a difference to me...

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 07/19/05 at 12:13 am

I used to text message the outside world, when I was locked up at school. It costs too much....but other then that, I suppose it could be somewhat useful.

~Beth

Written By: Apricot on 07/19/05 at 1:52 am

wtfs wit da wy ppl typ n txt mes ne way?

I don't like it, but I don't care.. I think it's a waste, and too many kids just use it to chat during inappropriate times, like SCHOOL, but whateva.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/19/05 at 2:25 am

wtfs wit da wy ppl typ n txt mes ne way?

I don't like it, but I don't care.. I think it's a waste, and too many kids just use it to chat during inappropriate times, like SCHOOL, but whateva.
Text Messenging is simply ruining the Queen's English and the younger generation will grow up thinking that is the correct way to spell words.

Think of the future generations?

Written By: ADH13 on 07/19/05 at 2:28 am

Text Messenging is simply ruining the Queen's English and the younger generation will grow up thinking that is the correct way to spell words.

haha I know.. when I receive a text msg with that garbage, I respond with:

"English, please."

Written By: Apricot on 07/19/05 at 2:31 am

Either way, kids are gonna destroy proper English.. they'll find some way. Proper English is too far gone to most youths anyway.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/19/05 at 2:31 am

haha I know.. when I receive a text msg with that garbage, I respond with:

"English, please."
Here in the UK, there used to be an established messageboard (now defunct), which had a constant stream of people posting using this system, and then we always used to (like you) "English, please."

Written By: Apricot on 07/19/05 at 2:36 am

Here in the UK, there used to be an established messageboard (now defunct), which had a constant stream of people posting using this system, and then we always used to (like you) "English, please."

I often make fun of their atrocious spelling and grammar by typing just as badly as them. ;D  It's a great source of amusement.

Written By: ADH13 on 07/19/05 at 2:43 am

I often make fun of their atrocious spelling and grammar by typing just as badly as them. ;D  It's a great source of amusement.

haha there was this girl where I used to work.. I think she's like 21 or 22.. and most of us in our department were older, like 30+.. so this girl would talk normal around us.. then this new guy started, and he had a shaved head, etc.. looked like someone fresh out of prison.. (but he wasn't at all)... so this girl starts trying to talk all ghetto, like "they jacked me", etc... trying to impress him.. haha it was funny because he was like "how old are you?" and she said "21".. he was like "Why do you talk like a 12 year old?"  We were all trying so hard not to laugh.. cause we were thinking the same thing..

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 07/19/05 at 2:46 am

Personally I don't care either way, it's when "text speak" becomes the norm, that's when it becomes a problem.  >:(

I also h8 it wen ppl typ al lyk dis on dis hr msg brd. If u cant typ da ful werdz, den bugga off!  >:( ;D

Written By: Gis on 07/19/05 at 3:48 am

Well I have to say I find it incredibly useful from the point of view that both my brother and sister could talk for England if it were a national sport.You can never just give them a quick call to pass on a message or whatever so texting is great because that way I can say 'I'll meet you at 8 o'clock' without getting 45 minutes of talk !

Written By: TC1970 on 07/19/05 at 6:27 am

Either way, kids are gonna destroy proper English.. they'll find some way. Proper English is too far gone to most youths anyway.

Yep! Totally! Like, right on! :D

Text messaging... If it works for you great! I used mine once or twice.  Finding the letters is a pain. I don't get the whole " having to talk to you friends all day"  thing.  If young people spent as much time taking care of their responsibility as  they do on the cell phone, their would be less punk ass kids out there. IMO.  ;)

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 07/19/05 at 6:29 am

I'm one of those people who has to type out all the words as they are spelled and said - so I guess it kind of defeats the object, however it is a useful medium if you'e not in a position to talk personally, but the 'hard' nature of texting does leave it open to occasional misunderstandings if you are not very careful with wording.

It's great fun for harmless flirting as you may know   ;D

Written By: AngeliK on 07/19/05 at 7:50 am

As a "teenager" at least for the next four months anyway I would like to point out that I get told I speak rather well and therefor find it rather insulting when people say all teenagers speak in such a ridiculous way!

I know its nothing personal but I have said it before that its a broad generalisation when people criticize todays youth! Some of us aren't all that bad.

Written By: Dumb Ass Kid on 07/19/05 at 7:53 am

Text messaging was huge when mobiles first came out (such as the Nokia 3310 and all that), and even though it's still really popular, I think the whole mobile phone/texting craze has died down since 2002 (When EVERYONE had a Nokia 3310). Nowadays, people do it casually just like talking on the phone, but e-mailing has steadily gotten more popular too. Doesn't really bother me as I never get texts  :\'(

Written By: Dumb Ass Kid on 07/19/05 at 7:58 am

My phone has pre-typed text messages for you. ;D :D

Mine has something along those lines. I think it's got "Text templates", which basically say:

"...see you tonight", or "...text me at _______"

It's all a bit too technical for my liking  :P

Written By: karen on 07/19/05 at 8:21 am

I just had a text from my 6 year-old!  She's on holiday with her dad and texted to let me know she's having fun!

My phone has text templates which might be useful if I took sometime to read them all and found a quick way to get to the ones I want to use.  It also has predictive texting which I don't use.  I haven't worked out how to edit the word if it guesses the wrong word.  I decided it was quicker the do the required number of key presses the first time round than try and edit the message afterwards.

Written By: NullandVoid on 07/19/05 at 8:59 am

Its cool when you in a place where you really can't talk, but to sit there and have huge conversations? I have better things to do with my thumbs.

Oh btw, for you folks who text in public..TURN THE SOUND OFF ON YOUR PHONES/SIDEKICKS/BLACKBERRIES
No one wants to hear the noise that your device makes when you receive a message over and over again! >:(

Written By: goodsin on 07/19/05 at 9:01 am

I don't like "text speak" at all, but can recognise the necessity for abbreviation. Most people I know text because it's often cheaper than calling someone on another network...

Written By: Dumb Ass Kid on 07/19/05 at 9:09 am

It also has predictive texting which I don't use.  I haven't worked out how to edit the word if it guesses the wrong word.

That's the same problem my mate's got. It's funny trying to watch her text "Yeah, i'll meet you down the town at seven" to her friend, and then seeing her get annoyed when she's wrote "Year, i'll meaning you door the towel at severe"  ;D

Written By: gemini61 on 07/19/05 at 9:50 am

My daughter and I text when I'm at work, since I can't have personal calls. We only use it when she has to tell me something important and it helps us stay in touch. Other wise, I'd rather talk, than have to spend all the time to spell something out. I'm not as fast as she is!  :)

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 07/19/05 at 11:29 am

I'm one of those people who has to type out all the words as they are spelled and said - so I guess it kind of defeats the object,

Yeah, I'm the same way. I tend to use punctuation, as well. It takes me REALLY long to type out a text message.

~Beth

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/19/05 at 1:24 pm

My phone has pre-typed text messages for you. ;D :D
My phone does not!

Written By: PaperGirl on 07/19/05 at 2:07 pm

I like my text messgr.  When I go to work, I go mobile on my Yahoo messenger, and my friends can still find me. 

I use it to keep in touch with people when I go on trips and stuff.  Cheaper than a cell phone call.  And Ive become quite proficient at that predictive text....  8)

Written By: Apricot on 07/19/05 at 3:20 pm

Personally I don't care either way, it's when "text speak" becomes the norm, that's when it becomes a problem.  >:(

I also h8 it wen ppl typ al lyk dis on dis hr msg brd. If u cant typ da ful werdz, den bugga off!  >:( ;D

hay man scru u i liek to tipe dis way its lots f fun n f u don t liek mi way of tipeing u can go awaay! lololololololololol

That's the same problem my mate's got. It's funny trying to watch her text "Yeah, i'll meet you down the town at seven" to her friend, and then seeing her get annoyed when she's wrote "Year, i'll meaning you door the towel at severe" 

Once, somebody I knew was trying to type "Hey gang, rave tonight!" to announce a party and wound up sending "hey gang rape tonight"  ;D

Written By: Howard on 07/19/05 at 5:51 pm

It could be useful once in a while.

Written By: Bobby on 07/19/05 at 5:54 pm

I don't care either way.

If people have a computer, then surely e-mail is a heck of a lot cheaper than texting. Okay, it's more portable but I have never felt the urgency so much that I had to text someone.  :)

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 07/20/05 at 6:43 am

Yeah, I'm the same way. I tend to use punctuation, as well. It takes me REALLY long to type out a text message.

~Beth

:) hehe..that sounds familiar too Beth,

still i jst wnt txt lyk dis style no way man itz jst ridiculuz  ;D

Written By: karen on 07/20/05 at 7:23 am

I don't care either way.

If people have a computer, then surely e-mail is a heck of a lot cheaper than texting. Okay, it's more portable but I have never felt the urgency so much that I had to text someone.  :)

But I don't take my computer out shopping whereas I do have my phone with me.  So hubby can text "M and S salad" (or he would if he could work out how to do capital letters!!)

Written By: mandamoo on 07/20/05 at 9:57 am

Don't care either way.  I find it handy if I want to send a quick message to hubby  :)

Written By: Alchoholica on 07/20/05 at 4:35 pm

I used to text message the outside world, when I was locked up at school. It costs too much....but other then that, I suppose it could be somewhat useful.

Totally the opposite in England Text's are a lot cheaper. Around 8-9 cents each. (I used to be on a service where i got 300 free messages each month).

Calling there however is far more expensive.

6 months ago in England i would have said Yes, a big deal, it's cheaper, i'm pretty fast at it, and it's convenient if you can't talk, however now in the states where calling is so much cheaper i would say i'd tend to call more.

Written By: Bobby on 07/20/05 at 6:38 pm

I've texted hubby when I know he's in a boring conference :)

Oh yes . . . ?  ;D

Written By: Bobby on 07/20/05 at 6:39 pm

But I don't take my computer out shopping whereas I do have my phone with me.  So hubby can text "M and S salad" (or he would if he could work out how to do capital letters!!)

Tee hee. Fair enough.  ;D

Written By: ktelqueen on 07/21/05 at 1:27 am

um..i don't know how to send or receive text messages..not my thing..much to Mare's dismay lol

Written By: BrianMannixGirl on 07/23/05 at 6:02 am

Totally the opposite in England Text's are a lot cheaper. Around 8-9 cents each. (I used to be on a service where i got 300 free messages each month).

Calling there however is far more expensive.

6 months ago in England i would have said Yes, a big deal, it's cheaper, i'm pretty fast at it, and it's convenient if you can't talk, however now in the states where calling is so much cheaper i would say i'd tend to call more.

Same here - I have a pre paid phone and my sms/texts are 5 cents a message - regardless of length. Seeing as how a phone call from my mobile would cost me 45c a minute - texting is way cheaper.  I have entire conversations with people via text. Love it.  I must admit tho - I dont do "text speak" - I spell most stuff the normal way.

Check for new replies or respond here...