inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: an idea for members with children

Written By: jiminy on 07/22/05 at 4:48 pm

I was thinking if you see your child everyday you don't notice the changes as he/she is growing up. My cousins from England visited and their son was 6 months old, they visited again 2 years later and he looked very different, i'm sure you don't see these changes but here is my idea... take a daily photo of your child (easily done with digital cameras) then after a full year look at each photo and try to pinpoint any changes, this would work much better with a very young child, you could keep it up for a few years  :D

Subject: Re: an idea for members with children

Written By: Marty McFly on 07/22/05 at 4:59 pm

Good idea Jim!

I'd like to have kids someday. I don't now (but I could ask my future self when he will!) - but someday I'll have to try that. Well, my future self will do it when I get to be him, or he is me--whatever, you get the idea! ;)

However, I was recently looking at some old pics of myself.

It's weird - I used to age fast. There was a MONUMENTAL difference between me at 8 and 11. I still looked like a short little kid at 8, but my 11 year old self would've probably been unrecognizeable to me three years earlier, LOL! :D

Consider that my look has only changed about 10% in the last 6-7 years and my track of personal time is being thrown WAY off.

Written By: jiminy on 07/22/05 at 5:07 pm

i'm wondering does a noticeable change happen in a week, is it over night... it happens so slowly we don't notice,  i've seen on nature shows they will keep a camera on a plant and you can see it sprout from a seed, i was wondering id you could view all the pics of a child in a movie form would the child seem to be growing like that plant?

Written By: Marty McFly on 07/22/05 at 5:11 pm

i'm wondering does a noticeable change happen in a week, is it over night... it happens so slowly we don't notice,  i've seen on nature shows they will keep a camera on a plant and you can see it sprout from a seed, i was wondering id you could view all the pics of a child in a movie form would the child seem to be growing like that plant?

Every person is different, but overall I think if it were a baby or a very young child you could tell every few days.

Do that with a 9 or a 10 year old, probably not by then - it would take closer to 6 months to notice it. By the mid to late teens, it really slows down for most people.

Although, theoretically, your body is ALWAYS gaining or losing cells, so I guess it's safe to say you change your look all the time. But those changes would be equivalent to like a gajillionth of a billionth of half of 100th of 0.00000001% - so basically you can't tell. ;D

Written By: gemini61 on 07/22/05 at 5:27 pm

That's a good idea. Especially if you start when they're very young. But like Marty said, when they hit a certain age, it slows down.  I'll have to remember that, if I ever have any grandkids.  :)

Written By: RockandRollFan on 07/22/05 at 5:39 pm

Blaine's gone and my other ones are grown up. I'll have to join Rhonda with the grandkids route.

Written By: danootaandme on 07/22/05 at 5:53 pm

^ If you want to post in peace don't let your kid see RnRs signature line.  Jake loves it and wants to
watch those penquins forever  :)

Written By: jiminy on 07/22/05 at 6:06 pm

^ If you want to post in peace don't let your kid see RnRs signature line.  Jake loves it and wants to

so do i!!!  ;D

Written By: Jennifer028 on 07/22/05 at 7:54 pm

LOL..my 3 year old loves the smileys! 

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 07/22/05 at 10:46 pm

That's a really cool idea Jiminy!  I take pictures of Vaughn SO much!!  Ya know, it's funny...sometimes I can look at him and totally notice a change in his "getting older".  Lately I have been noticing it a LOT. He turned 3 in May and even his vocabulary and speech since then has gotten so much better. I just looked at him today and said to my mom, "he is getting so big".  I can't believe that in 2 years he will be in school!!!

Erin :)

Written By: RockandRollFan on 07/22/05 at 11:06 pm

One of my best friends absolutely hates them. But thanks for making me smile tonight...it's been a long time coming ;)

Check for new replies or respond here...