inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: HELPFUL HINTS FOR THE PARENTS

Written By: danootaandme on 07/25/05 at 4:53 pm

Sleep when the baby sleeps, you will have to be awake when he is.
Keep panic telephone numbers(women who have stayed home with a newborn) programmed in the phone.
Don't get one of those face forward baby carriers, despite their populartiy they do not have the
support for the head the babies need, and your heartbeat is soothing to them when they lay
their head on your chest.
Don't overdress them in summer.

Subject: Re: HELPFUL HINTS FOR THE PARENTS

Written By: jiminy on 07/25/05 at 4:55 pm

don't let them smoke

Written By: Jennifer028 on 07/25/05 at 5:02 pm

Buy diapers in bulk at Sams-off brand but still great

Dont let the baby sleep in your bed unless you plan to have them there for a loooong time...LOL I learned this the hard way and my 3 1/2 year old is just now sleeping in his own bed!

Start solids at 4 months (and you dont REALLY have to start with veggies)

The hiccups DO go away!

Your boobs WILL stop leaking..LOL

Sign up here to get free samples and coupons for formula https://apps.meadjohnson.com/forms/jsp/Efb/Efb.do

Cereal in the bottle didnt work for me to make them sleep longer at night, giving her formula at night did!

Swaddle the baby for at least 3 months.

A fan or white noise maker in the room helps the baby sleep better.

Written By: jiminy on 07/25/05 at 5:04 pm

hay ladies... if you shake your breasts really hard would the baby now be enjoying a milk shake?   ;D

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 07/25/05 at 8:45 pm

carry LOTs of extra clothing/diapers/bottles/cups/wipes...etc.

I always carry sun screen, extra little toys (to keep him busy at restaurants, stores, etc), and lots of extra clothing (he goes through a lot).

Remember to keep the strings on your mini-blinds up high, as there have been children that have got tangled in them and died. :(

Carry cold water in a thermos/sippy cup when being in the car for a long period of time in the summer...also, some nice treats (fruit, animal crackers, etc).

Erin :)

Written By: jaytee on 07/25/05 at 10:43 pm

Trust your instincts.  If people offer any help ... take it!!  :)

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 07/25/05 at 10:48 pm

sing to your child (even if you think that you can't), read them stories, spend some quality alone time with them before they go to bed.

make a tape/cd of their favorite songs that you like to sing together, and play a few songs a night, before they go to bed.

keep your child on a schedule (kids do better with being on some sort of schedule, rather than always being spontaneous).

keep a chart for your child, recording everytime they go on the potty, help with chores, or behave all day long....mark it with a shiny star sticker...and tell them that at the end of the week, if they have so many stars..they will be awarded a prize.

Erin :)

Written By: jiminy on 07/26/05 at 4:59 am

I'm the only guy to post in this thread   :D

Written By: Gis on 07/26/05 at 5:58 am

Well I don't have any of my own but one piece of advise that my brother got from their health visitor that turned out to be worth it's weight in gold was.Don't creep around trying to be quiet at night,  ie no music on or T.V on real low incase you wake the baby.Right from day one just carry on as normal,the baby will sleep through your music or whatever and will also get used to sleeping with the everyday noises you hear in the house which is a godsend when they get older.

Written By: Ripp on 07/26/05 at 6:17 am

When going on car trips, especially summer, always carry a bucket. Use an old seaside bucket which is better, because you'll not be using it for the seaside again probably. If the baby gets carsick, have one parent in the back with the baby and if they start to look ill, put the bucket in front of them. If it's summer, always make sure a bucket is in the car or with you if you're going on a journey with others. Believe me, even though I'm the little kid in my close family, I still remember feeling sick as a baby (yep...i can remember) and needing a bucket.

Written By: jiminy on 07/26/05 at 6:52 am

When going on car trips, especially summer, always carry a bucket. Use an old seaside bucket which is better, because you'll not be using it for the seaside again probably. If the baby gets carsick, have one parent in the back with the baby and if they start to look ill, put the bucket in front of them. If it's summer, always make sure a bucket is in the car or with you if you're going on a journey with others. Believe me, even though I'm the little kid in my close family, I still remember feeling sick as a baby (yep...i can remember) and needing a bucket.

and if you're like me... two buckets  :D

Written By: whitewolf on 07/26/05 at 7:07 am

Well I don't have any of my own but one piece of advise that my brother got from their health visitor that turned out to be worth it's weight in gold was.Don't creep around trying to be quiet at night,  ie no music on or T.V on real low incase you wake the baby.Right from day one just carry on as normal,the baby will sleep through your music or whatever and will also get used to sleeping with the everyday noises you hear in the house which is a godsend when they get older.

My sister was told that by the rest of us that already had children, she didn't listen.
Her daughter is almost 5 and any little sound in their house-she wakes up.

Anyone that offers to help or do housework for you (especially when the baby is still a newborn) take it.

Written By: karen on 07/26/05 at 10:40 am

white carpets and blackcurrant squash aren't a good combination

leakproof nappies aren't

babies think their toes are tasty

Written By: Jennifer028 on 07/26/05 at 4:49 pm

Babies cant have honey till they are 1 year old.  Stay away from peanuts, strawberries, and fish too.

Check for new replies or respond here...