inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Calling all parents HELP!

Written By: whitewolf on 07/30/05 at 6:55 pm

As I have posted before, my youngest daughter has a high fever. The doctors at the hospital keep telling me that she has a virus and that her fever will go away in a day. I took her to see a doctor twice.

It has been three days now with a high fever. I have tried Tylenol, and a lukewarm bath but I can't get her temp down below 103. :(

Any other suggestions would be appreciated. :)

Subject: Re: Calling all mothers HELP!

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 07/30/05 at 6:58 pm

As I have posted before, my youngest daughter has a high fever. The doctors at the hospital keep telling me that she has a virus and that her fever will go away in a day. I took her to see a doctor twice.

It has been three days now with a high fever. I have tried Tylenol, and a lukewarm bath but I can't get her temp down below 103. :(

Try using cold packs or a cool, damp cloth on her forehead...

BTW, is she taking anything for the virus?

Written By: whitewolf on 07/30/05 at 7:00 pm

Try using cold packs or a cool, damp cloth on her forehead...

BTW, is she taking anything for the virus?

I tried the damp cloth but not the cold pack.

The doctor said that there is nothing she could take for a virus.

Written By: gemini on 07/30/05 at 7:02 pm

One night  when my youngest was an infant, she had a fever of 104! I thought I read the thermometer wrong. We took her to the emergency room and all they could do there was keep her comfortable until the fever broke. They never figured out what it was, until a couple days later, she broke out in a rash, and it was roseola. That's a symptom of roseola. They get a high fever a couple of days before they break out. That may or may not be what it is. Maybe you should try taking her to your family doctor instead of the E.R. Maybe they could be of more help. I hope you get the answers you need, and that your daughter gets better. Keep me posted.  :)

Written By: whitewolf on 07/30/05 at 7:07 pm

One night  when my youngest was an infant, she had a fever of 104! I thought I read the thermometer wrong. We took her to the emergency room and all they could do there was keep her comfortable until the fever broke. They never figured out what it was, until a couple days later, she broke out in a rash, and it was roseola. That's a symptom of roseola. They get a high fever a couple of days before they break out. That may or may not be what it is. Maybe you should try taking her to your family doctor instead of the E.R. Maybe they could be of more help. I hope you get the answers you need, and that your daughter gets better. Keep me posted.  :)

Unfortunately our doctor is on vacation until august 5,

I wish I knew what was causing the fever, it wouldn't be roseola, she had that when she was 6 months old.
She is complaining about her tummy being sore but the doctors refuse to send her for tests.

Written By: gemini on 07/30/05 at 7:09 pm

I wish I knew what was causing the fever, it wouldn't be roseola, she had that when she was 6 months old.
She is complaining about her tummy being sore but the doctors refuse to send her for tests.

Hmmm, sure wish I could be of more help. I guess, just keep taking her back until they get sick of you! Maybe that will get a fire started under them!  ;)

Written By: Jessica on 07/31/05 at 3:39 am

I think you need to get all up in the doctor's a$$es. That isn't very professional of them to just dismiss a high fever like that. Stupid turds. :P

Written By: Paul on 07/31/05 at 7:23 am

Very convenient! Is there not another doctor you could see?

But she shouldn't be running that sort of temperature...it's dangerous...

I'd whizz her straight back to the doc...true, there's not a great deal you can do with most viruses, but there must be something that could bring her temperature down a fraction...

Let us know how things go, Tina...

Subject: Re: Calling all parents HELP!

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/31/05 at 7:28 am

I remember once when my son had a sudden virus and fever, which then foxed our doctor, in a few days after seeing the doctor my son came out with one of the childhood diseases, sorry but I cannot remember which out it is now, but it could had been Chicken Pox or Measles.

Written By: whitewolf on 07/31/05 at 11:12 am

Late last night her fever went so high that she started shivering real bad-she kept saying that she was freezing. I took her back to the hospital and they gave her something that finally made her temperature break.

Today she still has a slight fever but she is feeling alot better. :)

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/31/05 at 11:14 am

Late last night her fever went so high that she started shivering real bad-she kept saying that she was freezing. I took her back to the hospital and they gave her something that finally made her temperature break.

It sounds exactly as I described above.

Written By: gemini on 07/31/05 at 1:56 pm

I'm glad she's feeling better, Tina. Do they know what it was?

Written By: danootaandme on 07/31/05 at 3:18 pm

Sorry I didn't see this yesterday.  I would get a new doctor, a high fever when treated should begin to go
down in 24 hours.  Three days at 103 is a problem and the emergency room is probably the best idea.
Kids will run fevers sometimes without any apparent reason, but as I said they should come down within
twenty four hours.

Written By: whitewolf on 07/31/05 at 3:21 pm

I'm glad she's feeling better, Tina. Do they know what it was?

Nope they couldn't figure out what it was, they finally took some tests and nothing showed up in them.

Written By: whitewolf on 07/31/05 at 3:24 pm

Sorry I didn't see this yesterday.  I would get a new doctor, a high fever when treated should begin to go
down in 24 hours.  Three days at 103 is a problem and the emergency room is probably the best idea.
Kids will run fevers sometimes without any apparent reason, but as I said they should come down within
twenty four hours.

thats what was worring me (her high fever) the doctor last night said usually they don't start to worry about it until its that high for 3 full days.

Written By: danootaandme on 07/31/05 at 3:40 pm

thats what was worring me (her high fever) the doctor last night said usually they don't start to worry about it until its that high for 3 full days.

Mine was prone to fevers and I took him to the emergency room here in Boston, home of a thousand
hospitals, anyway, I was told by at least 2 different Dr's that a mild fever was one thing but a high fever
(103 would qualify) usually indicates a serious problem if not, with treatment subsiding.  The biggest
problem is that is when severe dehydration can occur. 

Written By: whitewolf on 07/31/05 at 3:48 pm

Mine was prone to fevers and I took him to the emergency room here in Boston, home of a thousand
hospitals, anyway, I was told by at least 2 different Dr's that a mild fever was one thing but a high fever
(103 would qualify) usually indicates a serious problem if not, with treatment subsiding.  The biggest
problem is that is when severe dehydration can occur. 

thankfully she was drinking juice and water, that is all she wanted-she wouldn't even suck on a popsicle.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/31/05 at 5:09 pm

Onions help bring down fevers. If you place sliced onions on the feet (and hold with a pair of socks). I know it sounds strange but it works. Also keeping onions in the same room helps, too.

Cat

Written By: whitewolf on 07/31/05 at 5:13 pm

Onions help bring down fevers. If you place sliced onions on the feet (and hold with a pair of socks). I know it sounds strange but it works. Also keeping onions in the same room helps, too.

Cat

Actually someone told me that yesterday. I wasn't really sure what to think.

Check for new replies or respond here...