inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: If the messageboard is slower than normal in the next few days, here's why

Written By: ChuckyG on 08/11/05 at 5:14 pm

http://www.brucebickford.com/media/

I'm hosting a web site for an animator, Bruce Bickford, and I finally got some video clips.  It might draw the interest of some high traffic blogs, which could cause a huge drain on the system.

Check out the clips BTW, they're very cool.  The best word to describe the effect of his work, is morphing, but he's been doing it since hte 60s, long before computers were doing it, or really anyone else.  Someone once described his work, as the stuff animators watch at the end of the day, when animators want to watch really cool stuff.

Subject: Re: If the messageboard is slower than normal in the next few days, here's why

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/02/05 at 2:48 pm

http://www.brucebickford.com/media/

I'm hosting a web site for an animator, Bruce Bickford, and I finally got some video clips.  It might draw the interest of some high traffic blogs, which could cause a huge drain on the system.

Check out the clips BTW, they're very cool.  The best word to describe the effect of his work, is morphing, but he's been doing it since hte 60s, long before computers were doing it, or really anyone else.  Someone once described his work, as the stuff animators watch at the end of the day, when animators want to watch really cool stuff.
That explains everything there was one night when the whole system went down.

Subject: Re: If the messageboard is slower than normal in the next few days, here's why

Written By: ChuckyG on 09/03/05 at 6:16 pm

That explains everything there was one night when the whole system went down.

Actually, it never got the notice and attraction I hoped it had.  The messageboard hasn't been down in several weeks, probably just a connection problem at your end.

Written By: Apricot on 09/03/05 at 8:23 pm

Hmm.. I had the same problem.. oh well.

Written By: ChuckyG on 09/03/05 at 9:54 pm

Hmm.. I had the same problem.. oh well.

yeah, but was it on the same day?  what day were the two of you having this problem, what was the message?

I ran a backup a couple days ago, and when the database is getting backed up, it will cause a warning message or two.  Would have been around 4PM on Monday or Tuesday I think.  Lasts about 5 minutes at most.

Written By: Apricot on 09/03/05 at 10:02 pm

yeah, but was it on the same day?  what day were the two of you having this problem, what was the message?

I ran a backup a couple days ago, and when the database is getting backed up, it will cause a warning message or two.  Would have been around 4PM on Monday or Tuesday I think.  Lasts about 5 minutes at most.

The message was something about SMF.. we both mentioned it later on "Longest Thread Ever", I think.

Written By: ChuckyG on 09/05/05 at 1:20 pm

The message was something about SMF.. we both mentioned it later on "Longest Thread Ever", I think.

ok, that was due to the backup.  For some reason, the messageboard can't access the database driving it while the SQL files are being tar'd.  Usually I only do that on a weekend, but I had made a massvze amount of changes to the underlying code driving amiright and I figured it was a good time to do my regular backups.

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/19/05 at 2:53 pm

Connection Problems

Sorry, SMF was unable to connect to the database. This may be caused by the server being busy. Please try again later.

It has just happened again.

Check for new replies or respond here...