inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: I'm Giving Up Booze Cold Turkey!(Hopefully)

Written By: RockandRollFan on 08/13/05 at 12:56 pm

I never drank a lot before 1991...then a very close family friend (Dawn Stephensen) died in a car crash and I started drinking on a regular basis. I've decided that after all these years, and now that Elizabeth and I have a family membership to the gym, I'm finishing off the last of the beer tonight. I've been wanting to stop for a while now and actually have stopped for a time, only to start again but seeing that I've noticed some people have quit smoking, I've become more inspired than ever....so for the last time, "Here's to you, here's to me, but if we ever disagree, screw you and here's to me" ;D

Subject: Re: I'm Giving Up Booze Cold Turkey!(Hopefully)

Written By: Bobby on 08/13/05 at 1:03 pm

You know you don't have to quit alchohol altogether?  ;)

In all seriousness, if this is a serious goal of yours and it will make you feel better - go for it! I am encouraging you all the way.

Great stuff.  8)

Written By: RockandRollFan on 08/13/05 at 1:08 pm

You know you don't have to quit alchohol altogether?  ;)

In all seriousness, if this is a serious goal of yours and it will make you feel better - go for it! I am encouraging you all the way.

Great stuff.  8)
;D I'll drink to that!

Thanks for the support, Bobby. I'm really just trying to use my best common sense. I feel SO great after a run and yet so horribly sad after a night of drinking :-\\

Written By: Alchoholica on 08/13/05 at 1:47 pm

Stupid BOY!

I jest, i jest.

That's fair enough.. i know i feel healthier living here and not being able to go out to the pub 3-4 nights a week. It does indeed make you healthier. Of course, i also know when i go home i'm going to drink until i can't feel feelings anymore.

But still, i think fitness wise, and in terms of how you feel in yourself, maybe it's a good idea.

All power to you mate..

Written By: RockandRollFan on 08/13/05 at 2:23 pm

Stupid BOY!

I jest, i jest.

That's fair enough.. i know i feel healthier living here and not being able to go out to the pub 3-4 nights a week. It does indeed make you healthier. Of course, i also know when i go home i'm going to drink until i can't feel feelings anymore.

But still, i think fitness wise, and in terms of how you feel in yourself, maybe it's a good idea.

All power to you mate..
Thanks, I appreciate that. I've known for years that I wanted/needed to stop, so now I'm trying....again ;)

Written By: Bobby on 08/13/05 at 2:50 pm

;D I'll drink to that!

Ha ha!  ;D

Thanks for the support, Bobby. I'm really just trying to use my best common sense. I feel SO great after a run and yet so horribly sad after a night of drinking :-\\

I don't blame you. If it is not working for you personally, don't do it.  :)

Written By: jackas on 08/13/05 at 2:53 pm

Best of luck to you, Mark. :) 

Like Tony Little says, "You can do it!" :)

Written By: RockandRollFan on 08/13/05 at 2:54 pm

Ha ha!  ;D

I don't blame you. If it is not working for you personally, don't do it.  :)

True enough, thanks again, my friend :)

Written By: Dagwood on 08/13/05 at 2:58 pm

Good idea, Mark. 

Written By: RockandRollFan on 08/13/05 at 2:58 pm

Best of luck to you, Mark. :) 

Like Tony Little says, "You can do it!" :)
Thanks, Chrissy :-*  I thought maybe Rob Schneider saying that would be more fitting than Tony Little, though I don't like either one much at all ::) ;D

Written By: RockandRollFan on 08/13/05 at 2:59 pm

Good idea, Mark. 
Thanks Dagny ;)

Written By: danootaandme on 08/13/05 at 4:24 pm

Good luck and don't be shy trying out any tips people give you.  Like carrying a bottle of whatever, you don't want to get thirsty and head for  a beer.  When I gave up beer and pizza I lost 15 pounds straight away and that is something to look forward to. 

Written By: gemini on 08/13/05 at 4:29 pm

Good luck Mark! People, places, and things. Don't forget, you'll probably have to change your old habits and anything that triggers you to want a drink.  But it'll be worth it.  ;)

Written By: jiminy on 08/13/05 at 4:36 pm

Good luck Mark, I basically quit in 1990 after spending the 80s in a daze, had one bender in 1995, it's not good to start up drinking again as if you never quit (even if it was one night) Now i'll have a beer maybe once a month

Written By: RockandRollFan on 08/13/05 at 4:37 pm

Good luck and don't be shy trying out any tips people give you. Like carrying a bottle of whatever, you don't want to get thirsty and head for a beer. When I gave up beer and pizza I lost 15 pounds straight away and that is something to look forward to.
Pizza!!?? I can't give THAT up ;D Seriously, I appreciate your words and I will take them to heart ;)

Written By: RockandRollFan on 08/13/05 at 4:38 pm

Good luck Mark! People, places, and things. Don't forget, you'll probably have to change your old habits and anything that triggers you to want a drink.  But it'll be worth it.  ;)
Oh believe me, I've changed some already....onward and upward! Thanks, Rhonda :)

Written By: Paul on 08/13/05 at 4:40 pm

Giving up the naughty juice, Mark?

I'll have yours then...(hic!)

Hope all goes well with the new healthy you...

Written By: jiminy on 08/13/05 at 4:42 pm

Want to go to Amsterdam?  ::)
http://www.mun.ca/muse/archive/Volume52/Issue09/feature/item01-p4.jpg

Written By: RockandRollFan on 08/13/05 at 4:42 pm

Good luck Mark, I basically quit in 1990 after spending the 80s in a daze, had one bender in 1995, it's not good to start up drinking again as if you never quit (even if it was one night) Now i'll have a beer maybe once a month
Thanks man, I really appreciate that, Jim. I pretty much had my lost decade in the 90's....LOTS of regrets, but instead of constantly beating myself up, I'm trying to be positive. I don't know if I'll ever get to the point where I can have 1 a month, all I know is that I finally really want to stop....just as soon as I polish off the last ones in my fridge (15) :D :)

Written By: RockandRollFan on 08/13/05 at 4:44 pm

Giving up the naughty juice, Mark?

I'll have yours then...(hic!)

Hope all goes well with the new healthy you...
Thanks, Paul but I'm knocking back the 15 I have left over the next 2 days. Monday it's off to the gym and into a better life ;)

Written By: RockandRollFan on 08/13/05 at 4:46 pm

Want to go to Amsterdam?  ::)
http://www.mun.ca/muse/archive/Volume52/Issue09/feature/item01-p4.jpg
;D Hey, my "gateway" drug was second hand smoke....the good kind! I really never could handle that stuff, it puts me to sleep ::)

Written By: Paul on 08/13/05 at 4:47 pm

Thanks, Paul but I'm knocking back the 15 I have left over the next 2 days. Monday it's off to the gym and into a better life ;)

Y'know, exercise is 50% physical and 50% mental...

So I normally think about going to the Gym...the physical bit can wait!

Written By: RockandRollFan on 08/13/05 at 4:55 pm

Y'know, exercise is 50% physical and 50% mental...

So I normally think about going to the Gym...the physical bit can wait!
;D Well, right now, in my shape, I'll have to go about 99% mental ::)

Written By: jiminy on 08/13/05 at 4:58 pm

;D Hey, my "gateway" drug was second hand smoke....the good kind! I really never could handle that stuff, it puts me to sleep ::)

I haven't touched this stiff either since the 80s but if I ever make it to Amsterdam I'll have to try a coffee shop, can you imagine what your friends would say if you made it to Amsterdam and didn't smoke? It's ok to keep beers in the fridge, I  always have them in my fridge... just check the born on dates before drinking   ;D

Written By: RockandRollFan on 08/13/05 at 5:10 pm

I haven't touched this stiff either since the 80s but if I ever make it to Amsterdam I'll have to try a coffee shop, can you imagine what your friends would say if you made it to Amsterdam and didn't smoke? It's ok to keep beers in the fridge, I  always have them in my fridge... just check the born on dates before drinking   ;D
I heard that Jim Morrison used to walk down the middle of a street there and took everything offered to him :D The beer I have doesn't HAVE a born on date as this particular one died quite a few years ago ;D

Written By: Howard on 08/13/05 at 5:19 pm

Congratulations Mark! :)

Written By: JamieMcBain on 08/13/05 at 5:24 pm

Good luck, Mark!

Written By: RockandRollFan on 08/13/05 at 5:27 pm

Good luck, Mark!
Thanks, I appreciate that from you both :) :)

Written By: Alchoholica on 08/13/05 at 6:59 pm

Jim.. it's awesome. They literally roll it right there for you, you can pick out what you want... it's like a pot head Deli.

Written By: ADH13 on 08/14/05 at 10:18 pm

Congratulations, Mark!!

I notice you haven't been on here today, so hopefully that's a good sign??  Been keeping yourself busy and away from the bottle, I hope?

Written By: RockandRollFan on 08/14/05 at 10:53 pm

Congratulations, Mark!!

I notice you haven't been on here today, so hopefully that's a good sign??  Been keeping yourself busy and away from the bottle, I hope?
Thanks but I've actually been here for nearly 100 posts today......unless I'm drunk?  :D ;) As for the booze, I'm stopping once I've finished the beers I have left...by Tuesday I should be done ;)

Written By: ADH13 on 08/14/05 at 10:54 pm

Thanks but I've actually been here for nearly 100 posts today......unless I'm drunk?  :D ;) As for the booze, I'm stopping once I've finished the beers I have left...by Tuesday I should be done ;)

oh... you like hiding, dont you? ::) :)

Written By: RockandRollFan on 08/14/05 at 11:11 pm

oh... you like hiding, dont you? ::) :)
I AM?? Let me fix that right.....now! :D

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 08/15/05 at 2:16 pm

Good luck in improving your lifestyle, Mark!  :)

Check for new replies or respond here...