inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Do you have a portable music player? If you do,post pics here!

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 08/21/05 at 7:29 pm

Here's my new mp3 player....

Subject: Re: Do you have a portable music player? If you do,post pics here!

Written By: Bobby on 08/21/05 at 7:47 pm

I have a Nomad MP3 Player:

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y67/Robp24/Nomad.jpg

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 08/21/05 at 8:03 pm

This is how I roll...

http://pocketcalculatorshow.com/boombox/graphics/fatboys2.jpg

Straight up.

Beth

Written By: jiminy on 08/21/05 at 8:05 pm

This is how I roll...

Straight up.

Beth

you look like crap without make-up   ;D

Written By: Bobby on 08/21/05 at 8:06 pm

Seriousing laughing from here, James.  ;D

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 08/21/05 at 8:07 pm

This is how I roll...

Straight up.

Beth
Too darned big for me to carry around!

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 08/21/05 at 8:08 pm

;D ;D ;D

Beth

Written By: shiprunner12 on 08/21/05 at 9:30 pm

This is my Philips Rush. It only has 256 MB, but it's good enough.
http://desc.allshops.ru/images/126346.jpg

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 08/21/05 at 10:25 pm

ya, I really wanna get an Ipod or something equivalent to it...I don't need something that will hold millions of songs...maybe a thousand or so...I'd like it to be compact, as I want to use it for when I start exercising again .and I don't want to spend hundreds of dollars...anyone have any suggestions?

Erin :)

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 08/21/05 at 10:27 pm

ya, I really wanna get an Ipod or something equivalent to it...I don't need something that will hold millions of songs...maybe a thousand or so...I'd like it to be compact, as I want to use it for when I start exercising again .and I don't want to spend hundreds of dollars...anyone have any suggestions?

Oh come ON, Erin...rock it out Olde Skewl wit meh!

Beth

Written By: Bobby on 08/21/05 at 10:28 pm

I wouldn't suggest getting an I-pod, I have heard bad things about them but the one I have from Creative I have had no problems with at all from downloading music onto it, battery life and playing music. If you only want a thousand songs, you are probably looking at a gigabyte MP3 player. They don't cost much (in comparison to ones with bigger hard drives that is  ;D).

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 08/21/05 at 10:31 pm

I wouldn't suggest getting an I-pod, I have heard bad things about them but the one I have from Creative I have had no problems with at all from downloading music onto it, battery life and playing music. If you only want a thousand songs, you are probably looking at a gigabyte MP3 player. They don't cost much (in comparison to ones with bigger hard drives that is  ;D).

Thanks Rob!

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 08/21/05 at 11:10 pm

I wouldn't suggest getting an I-pod, I have heard bad things about them but the one I have from Creative I have had no problems with at all from downloading music onto it, battery life and playing music. If you only want a thousand songs, you are probably looking at a gigabyte MP3 player. They don't cost much (in comparison to ones with bigger hard drives that is  ;D).

I have a portable CD player which can play MP3 CD's.

I'm old school like that.  :D

Written By: Bobby on 08/21/05 at 11:13 pm

Thanks Rob!

No worries. If it's not enough for you it just means that you may have to change music around more regularly from your computer to MP3 player that's all.  :)

But it should be enough though.  ;)

Written By: Bobby on 08/21/05 at 11:14 pm

I have a portable CD player which can play MP3 CD's.

I'm old school like that.  :D

I felt the need to revert back to CD players after I realised my battery charger was broke (I have no idea how that happened) and it was quite a nostalgic thing for me.  ;D

Written By: La Sine Pesroh on 08/21/05 at 11:16 pm

This is how I roll...

Straight up.

Beth
Holy crap, I used to have a boombox EXACTLY like that one. I bought it in about 1982-83, it was made by "Soundesign," and it's still sitting in my parents' enclosed patio.

(And no, the guy in the picture is not me.   ;D )

Written By: Bobby on 08/21/05 at 11:18 pm

Holy crap, I used to have a boombox EXACTLY like that one. I bought it in about 1982-83, it was made by "Soundesign," and it's still sitting in my parents' enclosed patio.

(And no, the guy holding the boombox is not me.  ;D)

I would love to go back to 1982 - 1985 and get the essence of what the breakdancing craze was all about. That would be amazing.  8)

Written By: La Sine Pesroh on 08/21/05 at 11:23 pm

I would love to go back to 1982 - 1985 and get the essence of what the breakdancing craze was all about. That would be amazing.  8)
Back in Nebraska, when I was in the 6th-7th grade, there wasn't much of a breakdancing craze that I remember but there was a defininte boombox fad going on in my school. I bought the aforementioned Soundesign with my paper route money I had saved up. It was a piece of junk. My parent's still use it to listen to AM/FM radio but the cassette player crapped out years ago. (Not that I'd be using it anyway.)

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 10/08/05 at 10:39 pm

well Chris wants to get me a portable MP3 player for Christmas.....I would like one that holds a thousand or so songs.....but I don't want to spend a crazy amount of money either...does anyone have an suggestions??

Written By: Apricot on 10/09/05 at 10:27 am

Don't get iPod. I'd say Dell (cheaper, easier to use, doesn't suck, not small enough to break).. although my friend highly recommends Rio. Get a nice one, though.. at least 15 GB if you really intend to use it.

Written By: Apricot on 10/09/05 at 10:29 am

http://www.mercadolibre.com.ar/org-img/preview/MLA/072005/17470301_3113.jpg

This is the model I have.. thick, durable (can take a few drops.. mine has quite a few battle scars, though I just bought a nice case for it), functional, and not very expensive. Order through Dell, and it's even cheaper. (also, we got ours for $169 because we also bought a new computer in the same order).

15 GBs.. any more is really unnecessary.

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 10/09/05 at 10:44 am

I like the look of that player Marquis - do you have the dimensions to hand at all - I'd actually prefer Dell as my pc is Dell and I think that brand is pretty good/faultless. Hope I haven't spoke too soon

It's good to hear different opinions of this new media type as I'm completely new to them.  :)

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 10/09/05 at 10:49 am

This is how I roll...

Straight up.

Beth

HAHAHA  ;D ;D    You look completely different with a perm  Beth!  :)

Written By: Apricot on 10/09/05 at 11:01 am

I like the look of that player Marquis - do you have the dimensions to hand at all - I'd actually prefer Dell as my pc is Dell and I think that brand is pretty good/faultless. Hope I haven't spoke too soon

It's good to hear different opinions of this new media type as I'm completely new to them.   :)

Dimensions? Hmm.. sorry, I don't. I can tell you that on a rough guess, compared to my mother's newer one:

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/images/products/large/SDJ201Y.jpg

About 2-times thicker, 1.5-times wider, screen is harder glass, but easier to smudge, buttons tougher (my mom's Play, Rewind, and Fast Forward Buttons already feel like they're about to give in after 2 months of use, mine are still sturdy and tough after a year of use)

I'd say go old-school MP3.. Dell DJ 15 GB. Dell's a good PC system, if you know how to clear off all the Spyware crap they install on your computer in advance.. and the software for the DJ is easy to use, if you don't mind Musicmatch nagging you as soon as you plug in the MP3 Player to upload some songs.

Written By: Marty McFly on 10/09/05 at 11:13 am

I'll post a pic later, but I'm really old-school - I still use a Walkman constantly. :D

My computer has moved into the 21st century with music technology, but I like the portability and being able to listen to the radio as well as my mixtapes.

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 10/09/05 at 11:14 am

Thanks so much for that info MdT - I just looked at Dells site and also Googled the model number you've given me and got this page of reviews which may be useful - 

http://www.mygo.com/l/search/dell-digital-jukebox-drivers

'Reviews n stuff' (#10) states that the unit is a similar size to a deck of cards - absolutely incredible that something that small exists, modern technology is just brilliant.   :)  Thanks again.

Written By: Apricot on 10/09/05 at 11:17 am

Thanks so much for that info MdT - I just looked at Dells site and also Googled the model number you've given me and got this review  http://www.reviewsnstuff.com/gadgets/delldj15.php

it states the unit is a similar size to a deck of cards - absolutely incredible that something that small exists, modern technology is just brilliant.   :)  Thanks again.

Deck of cards.. hmm.. looking at mine, that's about right.

I never understood the smaller-sized ones.. I feel like they'd break too easy.

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 10/09/05 at 12:48 pm

I'm sorry, but I would lose or somehow step on this the day I bought it...

http://i.walmart.com/i/p/00/80/87/28/00/0080872800119_AV3_500X500.jpg

http://i.walmart.com/i/p/00/80/87/28/00/0080872800119_AV4_500X500.jpg

Written By: Apricot on 10/09/05 at 12:49 pm

OH MY GOD.. is that real?

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 10/09/05 at 12:51 pm

OH MY GOD.. is that real?

Yep.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=3756866

Written By: Apricot on 10/09/05 at 12:53 pm

I'd lose it before I left the store, I guarantee.

Seriously, why do people want things so small? Mine is perfect pocket size that I won't lose/step on/eat it.

Written By: Marty McFly on 10/09/05 at 12:55 pm

I'd lose it before I left the store, I guarantee.

Seriously, why do people want things so small? Mine is perfect pocket size that I won't lose/step on/eat it.

Well, someone from 1975 could look at it and say, "This...is truly amazing. A portable music studio."

That's an amended quote from a certain movie - I'm sure no one could ever guess which one. ;)

Written By: Apricot on 10/09/05 at 12:58 pm

That's an amended quote from a certain movie - I'm sure no one could ever guess which one. ;)

"The Ring 2"?  :D

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 10/09/05 at 3:05 pm

I'd like one. I just need someone to lend me $400 so I can get one.  ::)

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 10/09/05 at 6:41 pm

I dropped my el-cheapo Memorex MP3 player and it broke...So I am sticking with CD's now....
I recently bought a really cool Sony CD boombox..nice. The thing even has a remote control.

Hard to believe how far the humble boom-box has come from it's 'old school' beginnings! Some of 'em look nicer too..my Sony looks space-age, really cool.

Written By: whistledog on 10/09/05 at 6:47 pm

I got one called the Baby Yepp Explorer.  It's such a piece of sh!t.  It requires one AAA battery to work, and you only get about 2 hours worth of play out of it  >:(

Written By: Dumb Ass Kid on 10/09/05 at 6:48 pm

I recently bought an MP3 player. £85 it cost, 1GB of memory, voice recording facilities, came with earphones which are bigger than your head!  ;D

Written By: Dominic L. on 10/09/05 at 9:19 pm

http://www.creative.com/products/product.asp?category=213&subcategory=214&product=10274

This is so much better than an iPod

Written By: warlord32275 on 10/09/05 at 9:29 pm

Well, someone from 1975 could look at it and say, "This...is truly amazing. A portable music studio."

hmmmmmmmm well Marty McFly I think that might have been Back to the Future. But Im not sure ;)

Written By: warlord32275 on 10/09/05 at 9:35 pm

I'll post a pic later, but I'm really old-school - I still use a Walkman constantly. :D

My computer has moved into the 21st century with music technology, but I like the portability and being able to listen to the radio as well as my mixtapes.

Like Napoleon Dynamite! :-\\

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 10/09/05 at 9:45 pm

Like Napoleon Dynamite! :-\\

Ahhh!! You mentioned HIS (The ruler of all that is EVIL's) Name!  :o

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y181/A_VictimOfYou/Ahhh.jpg

Written By: warlord32275 on 10/09/05 at 9:49 pm

you scary me ok :-\\ :\'(

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 10/09/05 at 9:50 pm

you scary me ok :-\\ :\'(

Heh..I'm sorry.

..I gotta learn to take it easy on new people. Not many understand my humor  :-\\

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 10/09/05 at 9:51 pm

So, on that note, Welcome!  :) Glad to have you here!

Written By: Apricot on 10/10/05 at 9:36 am

http://www.creative.com/products/product.asp?category=213&subcategory=214&product=10274

This is so much better than an iPod

That scroll bar would annoy me.. gotta be a thumb wheel, man.

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 12/16/05 at 7:48 pm

I just bought an RCA Lyra MP3 player which has a memory card slot which doubles the number of songs it can hold...and the sound out of this little player is excellent, the people at RCA supplied it with decent headphones!

I have sworn off burning CD's ever again because of the problem I have with blank CD's being a pain to burn due to discs the burner rejects...I'd buy a 10 pack of CD's, only one would be usable!

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 12/16/05 at 10:07 pm

I just bought an RCA Lyra MP3 player which has a memory card slot which doubles the number of songs it can hold...and the sound out of this little player is excellent, the people at RCA supplied it with decent headphones!

I have sworn off burning CD's ever again because of the problem I have with blank CD's being a pain to burn due to discs the burner rejects...I'd buy a 10 pack of CD's, only one would be usable!

I just got one of those for an early Christmas gift from my husband...here's what it looks like....

http://www.ebestdeal4u.com/pictures/RCA_Lyra-RD2762/image04.jpg

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 12/16/05 at 11:10 pm

I went out and bought a 512mb player (approx 120 songs of decent quality) for real cheap.  8)

It's less than CD's, but much better than CD's as when you get sick of the music you can easily wipe it, as opposed to making up CD's all the time. Hopefully the 1gig ones will go down in proce soon enough.  :)

Written By: nally on 12/16/05 at 11:24 pm

Uhm...no. I do not.

But today my hairstylist talked me into asking my folks to get me one. I still don't know whether I want to or not. Don't know if we can afford one.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 12/16/05 at 11:58 pm

Uhm...no. I do not.

But today my hairstylist talked me into asking my folks to get me one. I still don't know whether I want to or not. Don't know if we can afford one.

they are actually very affordable, depending on what you want out of it. If you are happy with being able to store like 2000-3000 songs...you could get one for around $100-$150 dollars.....less songs would be less money, and more songs would be more money..etc. It really is worth it though, I am very happy with mine!

Written By: nally on 12/17/05 at 6:16 pm

they are actually very affordable, depending on what you want out of it. If you are happy with being able to store like 2000-3000 songs...you could get one for around $100-$150 dollars.....less songs would be less money, and more songs would be more money..etc. It really is worth it though, I am very happy with mine!

Oh sure...there's lots of music that I'd love to hear anytime, anywhere...but I don't know how I'd go about doing it.

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/17/05 at 6:17 pm

This is my portable music player?

http://www.thinkmusic.co.uk/images/acoustic%20guitar.jpg

Written By: Marty McFly on 12/18/05 at 7:59 am

Yeah, I've sort of had that problem before - certain brands won't work (or will work more dependably than others, etc) in my computer's burner.

But I think all the name brand/"specifically music" ones are always perfect.

Written By: Marty McFly on 12/18/05 at 8:05 am

Oh, here's mine - redefines the term "old school" (right on top of the Nintendo, no less!). If someone were to see my room without knowing where or when they were, I'm sure they'd think it was a total 80's time capsule! :D

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y203/old_biff/Walkman.jpg

Written By: nally on 12/18/05 at 12:50 pm

This is my portable music player?

http://www.thinkmusic.co.uk/images/acoustic%20guitar.jpg

;D

You play a guitar, Phil?

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/18/05 at 1:48 pm

;D

You play a guitar, Phil?
Use to, but the fingers are not so agile now.

Written By: nally on 12/26/05 at 11:10 pm

Used to, but the fingers are not so agile now.

okay.

And I still don't have a portable music player of any kind.

Written By: whistledog on 12/27/05 at 12:06 am

I got a portable music player.  It's small, compact, and it plays great music.  Using my two lips, I can whistle  :D

Written By: Morton on 12/27/05 at 7:55 pm

Bought this a while back.

Check for new replies or respond here...