inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What Scared You The Most As A Child?

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 08/26/05 at 9:42 pm

One of the things that always scared me was the "Incredible Hulk"....my mom and dad used to watch episodes of it all the time, and I could watch it up until he turned into the green Hulk...than I had to leave the room! LOL!

Erin :)

Subject: Re: What Scared You The Most As A Child?

Written By: jackas on 08/26/05 at 9:44 pm

I used to believe in the "under bed hand". ::)  I thought that when I was getting into bed it was going to reach out and grab my leg.  To avoid this I would turn off the light then run and jump onto my bed. :P

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 08/26/05 at 9:50 pm

Well, this is weird but--

Erin and Brandy (my other sister) used to chase me around the house with the CREEPY-Arse feather duster. It looked like a dead bird!  :o

Oh man, I was so scared of that thing...

Beth

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 08/26/05 at 9:52 pm

Well, this is weird but--

Erin and Brandy (my other sister) used to chase me around the house with the CREEPY-Arse feather duster. It looked like a dead bird!  :o

Oh man, I was so scared of that thing...

Beth

yes, it was rather odd looking...we would find great thrills in shaking it in your face! LOL! It's those inanimate objects that are sometimes the scariest! ;D

Erin :)

Written By: jiminy on 08/26/05 at 9:52 pm

I used to believe in the "under bed hand". ::)  I thought that when I was getting into bed it was going to reach out and grab my leg.  To avoid this I would turn off the light then run and jump onto my bed. :P

i used to be scared of things in the closet, now i know they are just fags   :D

Written By: shiprunner12 on 08/26/05 at 9:59 pm

I did that to my older brother one time. I hid under his bed until he was about to get in, and then I grabbed ahold of his leg. I never heard him scream so loud before, it was hilarious. But unfortunately since I was under his bed and couldn't really move he started kicking me.

Written By: jackas on 08/26/05 at 10:03 pm

i used to be scared of things in the closet, now i know they are just fags   :D

;D ;D

Written By: jackas on 08/26/05 at 10:04 pm

I did that to my older brother one time. I hid under his bed until he was about to get in, and then I grabbed ahold of his leg. I never heard him scream so loud before, it was hilarious. But unfortunately since I was under his bed and couldn't really move he started kicking me.

That would have scared the crap out of me too. ;D

Written By: shiprunner12 on 08/26/05 at 10:17 pm

I used to be scared of mirrors at night. There was just something eerie about them, and also there was that thing about spinning around 10 times saying Bloody Mary in front of one and she'd appear or something.

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 08/26/05 at 10:23 pm

I used to be scared of mirrors at night. There was just something eerie about them, and also there was that thing about spinning around 10 times saying Bloody Mary in front of one and she'd appear or something.

OMG!! A long time ago I was down in the basement with my neighbor. We turned off all the lights, stood in front of the mirror and said "bloody Mary" 3 times---of course, nothing happened...but I was always freaked out by that.

Beth

Written By: shiprunner12 on 08/26/05 at 10:30 pm

OMG!! A long time ago I was down in the basement with my neighbor. We turned off all the lights, stood in front of the mirror and said "bloody Mary" 3 times---of course, nothing happened...but I was always freaked out by that.

Beth

I was always too scared to try it. My cousin got her mom to try it with her while I was at their house. Nothing happened for them either.

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 08/26/05 at 11:01 pm

I used to be scared of mirrors at night.

Same here.

Written By: jiminy on 08/26/05 at 11:12 pm

toilets in airplanes, they feel as if they are going to suck you out of the plane

Written By: jackas on 08/26/05 at 11:13 pm

toilets in airplanes, they feel as if they are going to suck you out of the plane

I've never sat on one. :)

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 08/26/05 at 11:13 pm

Where does all the sh!t go once you flush a toilet in an airplane?  :o

Written By: jackas on 08/26/05 at 11:14 pm

Where does all the sh!t go once you flush a toilet in an airplane?  :o

I wonder if that compartment that holds all that stuff has ever spilled in mid flight. :P

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 08/26/05 at 11:15 pm

I wonder if that compartment that holds all that stuff has ever spilled in mid flight. :P
Remind me to never walk outside (or duck for cover) when a plane cruises overhead

Written By: jackas on 08/26/05 at 11:16 pm

Remind me to never walk outside (or duck for cover) when a plane cruises overhead

I've seen that happen to a motorhome that was driving around.  It was really gross!

Written By: jiminy on 08/26/05 at 11:22 pm

I've never sat on one. :)

you just hover above it?  ::)

Written By: jackas on 08/26/05 at 11:23 pm

you just hover above it?  ::)

OK, let me rephrase......I've never used one. :P

Written By: jiminy on 08/26/05 at 11:26 pm

OK, let me rephrase......I've never used one. :P

i bet you run to the nearest toilet when you land  ;D

Written By: jiminy on 08/26/05 at 11:27 pm

CHURCH... I used to believe in all that BS listen to us or burn in hell talk  :D

Written By: Dominic L. on 08/26/05 at 11:33 pm

that I had to use the bathroom at school when I couldn't go at home :P

Written By: jiminy on 08/26/05 at 11:37 pm

that I had to use the bathroom at school when I couldn't go at home :P

all your friends would peer over the stall and make fun of you  ;D

Written By: Dagwood on 08/26/05 at 11:48 pm

The movie The American Werewolf In London scared the crud out of me.

Written By: jiminy on 08/26/05 at 11:53 pm

on the bright side, you are now crud free ;)

Written By: Dominic L. on 08/27/05 at 12:11 am

There was this one Barney episode that had a robot... :o Freaky stuff!

Written By: jackas on 08/27/05 at 12:39 am

That was a cool movie.

Written By: Billy Florio on 08/27/05 at 1:20 am

When my brother was a little baby...and I was like 3 possibly...or 4...I dont remember, anyway, when he was a baby my parents had this diaper holder that was a clown.  They use to hang it up on the wall of our room, and it used to scare the crap out of me (I guess it was getting its job done then lol...maybe I should have been wearing the diapers  ;D )...anyway....I was so scared of it...this evolved into a temperary fear of clowns too...but not diapers

Written By: ADH13 on 08/27/05 at 1:23 am

There was a big guy who lived down the street from us, and he had a really big full beard and I was terrified of him... when i saw him come out of his house i'd run into my house!

Written By: jackas on 08/27/05 at 1:25 am

When my brother was a little baby...and I was like 3 possibly...or 4...I dont remember, anyway, when he was a baby my parents had this diaper holder that was a clown.  They use to hang it up on the wall of our room, and it used to scare the crap out of me (I guess it was getting its job done then lol...maybe I should have been wearing the diapers  ;D )...anyway....I was so scared of it...this evolved into a temperary fear of clowns too...but not diapers

Clowns are freaky!  They seem like pervs too. :P

Written By: jiminy on 08/27/05 at 1:29 am

snipers in diapers

Written By: mandamoo on 08/27/05 at 7:37 am

Paintings – or rather, portraits of people. I used to think they were watching me  :P

I remember one time in particular, we were away on holidays and the room I was in had a painting of a lady on the wall. I kicked up such a fuss that my parents had to remove it before I’d go in there to sleep  ::)

Written By: jaytee on 08/27/05 at 7:39 am

Nuns ! :o

Written By: mandamoo on 08/27/05 at 7:42 am

Nuns ! :o

Agreed Janine  :-X

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 08/27/05 at 7:49 am

I used to have a horrible recurring dream.... :-\\

I would be walking along...all around my feet was mist so I could not see where I was stepping...all above me was solid rock as far as the eye could see

I had to make sure I didn't step in the wrong place or the rock would fall on me, and make me FlatBudget  :(

But, of course, I couldn't see where to put my feet....

But the worst part was, if I stayed still too long, the rock would also fall on me  :o :o :(

It was highly distressing, lemme tells ya  :\'(

Written By: mandamoo on 08/27/05 at 8:26 am

I would be walking along...all around my feet was mist so I could not see where I was stepping...all above me was solid rock as far as the eye could see

I had to make sure I didn't step in the wrong place or the rock would fall on me, and make me FlatBudget :(

But the worst part was, if I stayed still too long, the rock would also fall on me :o :o :(

It was highly distressing, lemme tells ya :\'(

:o

Hmmm.....I wonder what it all means  ???

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 08/27/05 at 8:29 am

:o

Hmmm.....I wonder what it all means  ???

It means I was and am a disturbed individual so WATCH OUT, Muwahahaha  :o :o :o :o ;D ;D ;D

Written By: mandamoo on 08/27/05 at 8:38 am

It means I was and am a disturbed individual so WATCH OUT, Muwahahaha :o :o :o :o ;D ;D ;D

Well, between me thinking that paintings were watching me, and you dreaming about falling rocks and mist, we've got the makings of a really good psycho-horror flick  ;) :D ;D

Written By: gemini on 08/27/05 at 8:56 am

The usual stuff like things in the closet or under the bed, and the lady down the street that everyone said was a witch. 

Written By: jackas on 08/27/05 at 9:15 am

I had to make sure I didn't step in the wrong place or the rock would fall on me, and make me FlatBudget  :(

But the worst part was, if I stayed still too long, the rock would also fall on me   :o :o :(

Sounds like a video game. :P

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/27/05 at 12:22 pm

But the worst part was, if I stayed still too long, the rock would also fall on me  :o :o :(

It means that you were afraid of making the wrong move.

Cat

Written By: YWN on 08/27/05 at 12:24 pm

RAINBOW COLORED JELLO.

Written By: nally on 08/27/05 at 12:28 pm

1) Heights. When I was little I didn't want to go on a ferris wheel or ride on an airplane. But I finally went on a ferris wheel when I was about 9, and enjoyed the view once I got to the top. :)

2) Going under the water in a pool. I felt I would drown if I put my face in the water, that's why I was reluctant to learn how to swim until I was in my teens. Also, I found it hard to hold my breath. :-[

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/27/05 at 12:29 pm

As a kid, I was afraid of fire. I used to sleep in my clothes, shoes, and coat just in case there was a fire in the middle of the night I would be prepared to run out. I have no idea where this fear came from. It could have been because we had  neighbors who's house burnt down-but I don't know if I used to "be prepared" before or after that happened. (BTW, no one was hurt in the fire-except for a pet snake-I think even all their cats got out and of course the people were unharmed).

Cat

Written By: Howard on 08/27/05 at 2:04 pm

The Boogeyman :o

Written By: jiminy on 08/27/05 at 3:38 pm

The Boogeyman :o

the hairsuit man  :o

Written By: JamieMcBain on 08/27/05 at 4:07 pm

Spiders and insects....  ::)

Written By: La Sine Pesroh on 08/27/05 at 5:58 pm

It seemed like in every cop/detective show when I was a kid, they were always smashiing up early 1970's Ford LTD's, so I was scared of those cars.

http://www.imcdb.org/images/00005817.jpg

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 08/27/05 at 8:39 pm

Flying..until I was 15 years old and had to fly to Roanoke, Virginia to see a boarding school DYFS thought I'd like to attend...I tried to get out of the flying part but my DYFS caseworker said they had to FLY me there because the trip had to be done all in one day....Little did they know I'd actually love flying and airplanes from that day on!

The first plane I ever flew on: A DeHavilland Twin Otter commuter plane run by Allegheny Commuter!

BTW there's an airshow in Atlantic City NJ on Wednesday...over the ocean.

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 08/27/05 at 8:44 pm

My mom and her boyfriend(my biological dad aka Mr Del the Sperm Donor) arguing....one time my mom threw a heavy Christmas table decoration at him...

And the silly things they argued about when they were both absolutely PLASTERED...(both were alcoholics)

Written By: Dominic L. on 08/27/05 at 9:17 pm

My older sister was 13 when I was born, so when I was about 4, she was 17... Anyway, around that time, she had a friend with a really big face... She scared the heck out of me! I'm not sure why though... :-\\

It must have made her feel bad when I cried around her.

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 08/27/05 at 9:19 pm

My older sister was 13 when I was born, so when I was about 4, she was 17... Anyway, around that time, she had a friend with a really big face... She scared the heck out of me! I'm not sure why though... :-\\

It must have made her feel bad when I cried around her.

Hahahahahaha...That's one of the funniest things I've ever heard of.  ;D ;D

Beth

Written By: Dominic L. on 08/27/05 at 9:19 pm

Hahahahahaha...That's one of the funniest things I've ever heard of.  ;D ;D

Beth

Well, I bet you would have cried too!

:\'( I'm still crying

Written By: JamieMcBain on 08/27/05 at 9:53 pm

Heights have always scared me....

Written By: Dominic L. on 08/27/05 at 10:55 pm

Prank phone calls

It scares me to death when someone keeps calling then says gibberish and then hangs up

I don't know why, but it does... *SHVVR*

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 08/27/05 at 10:59 pm

Porcelain dolls used to freak me out so much... and to make it worse, my grandmother collected them.

And... ... The dark.  :-is in the dark and where it's at... I don't like being sneaked up on or anything.

Same here. Porcelain dolls are sooooo creepy.  :o My friend has the scariest doll EVER...She put it right next to my face, and when I woke up..it was staring at me  :o

...Mrs. Beasly..I think her name is.

Beth

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 08/28/05 at 5:03 am

The 1960's NBC Peacock scared me from the time I was three years old until I entered kindergarten...by that time I knew what animation was, and that the Peacock was used to promote color television and to tell people that 'the following program is brought to you in living color on NBC!'

as a young child I used to think the Peacock lived in our television set...until my uncle who was a TV repairman told me otherwise...

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/28/05 at 12:13 pm

The 1960's NBC Peacock scared me from the time I was three years old until I entered kindergarten...by that time I knew what animation was, and that the Peacock was used to promote color television and to tell people that 'the following program is brought to you in living color on NBC!'

as a young child I used to think the Peacock lived in our television set...until my uncle who was a TV repairman told me otherwise...

It wasn't the Peacock but that guy with the hammer at the end of shows that scared me.

Cat

Written By: Howard on 08/28/05 at 5:03 pm

the hairsuit man  :o

Everybody's afraid of the hirsuite man. ;D

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 08/28/05 at 5:22 pm

It wasn't the Peacock but that guy with the hammer at the end of shows that scared me.

Cat
You mean the MARK VII man? They showed that at the end of "Emergency!" that is where I remember it from!

Mary Poppins scared me as a kid, I cried thru the whole movie for some reason....

Written By: whistledog on 07/04/07 at 1:32 am

As a kid, there were two things that really scared me ...

1. The end of Michael Jackson's Thriller, when he turns to the camera with the cat eyes and you hear the devil laugh.  Y'know, it still sort of freaks me out :o

2 . The heartbeat in the song 'The Heart of Rock and Roll' by Huey Lewis and the News.  It has a sort of errie feel to it, and used to get me a little scared :-[

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 07/04/07 at 1:36 am

the evil scarecrow that lived in the crawl space under our house  :o

Written By: Howard on 07/04/07 at 6:07 am

Loud noises and booms.Still scares me sometimes as of this day. ;D

Written By: spaceace on 07/04/07 at 7:31 am

Would you believe Micky Mouse.  I had an big plastic Micky Mouse toy, that would scare me at night.

The Incredible Hulk

The band KISS.  It must have been my brother's Destroyer poster that did it.

Heights

gym class

Written By: lorac61469 on 07/04/07 at 9:06 am

I was afraid to flush the toilet if I got up during the middle of the night.  I would flush and run.  ;D

I hated the downstairs bathroom in our house, especially at night.

I thought some lived in the little space between my bed and wall.  I had to sleep on my left side facing the wall so I would know if something was coming out. 

The closet in the playroom, there was a hole in the floor (my father made a cover for it).  I thought something would come out of it.  Funny thing is, as a kid I thought it was huge but when I saw it years later I realized it wasn't very big at all, just big enough to access some pipes.

One of my mother's friends had a painting of a child and the damn eyes would follow you, creepy!! 

This scared the crap outta me when I was little...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ux3laLkueZk

Written By: karen on 07/04/07 at 9:56 am

Noisy fireworks

Written By: Gis on 07/04/07 at 10:05 am

Spiders and the dark, oh and Doctor Who, and big dogs I got knocked over by one and bitten.

Written By: lorac61469 on 07/04/07 at 10:16 am

Spiders and the dark, oh and Doctor Who, and big dogs I got knocked over by one and bitten.

How could I forget spiders...I still hate them.  ;D

Written By: Gis on 07/04/07 at 10:23 am

How could I forget spiders...I still hate them.  ;D
Me too, sadly Ian hates them more than me so I have to be the brave one!  :o

Written By: karen on 07/04/07 at 11:19 am

Me too, sadly Ian hates them more than me so I have to be the brave one!  :o

You want one of these

Written By: loki 13 on 07/04/07 at 11:58 am

This may sound strange, I was kind of fearless as a kid, a daredevil so to speak. I would try anything,
never thinking about risk. The only thing that scared the hell out of me was Jaws.

Jaws came out in 1975, my father took us to see it. when Hooper was searching the sunken boat and
the head popped out of the hole it absolutely terrified me. I had nightmares for two weeks after seeing
that movie.

Written By: Step-chan on 07/04/07 at 2:31 pm

Garbage Pail Kids, I'm not kidding about this.

I was never into anything gross or shocking as a kid and those cards were scary as hell to me.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/04/07 at 2:37 pm

I was scared of the door to the cupbaord under the stairs, I was told by my parents not to touch or open the door. Then on brave day I went close up to the door and with anticipation I opened it, and what did I see. I saw the hall-way, the hall carpet and the kitchen in the distance.

Written By: Howard on 07/04/07 at 5:20 pm

The Boogeyman.

Written By: La Roche on 07/04/07 at 9:24 pm

Michael Myers!

Written By: coqueta83 on 07/04/07 at 9:36 pm

The old Viacom ID at the end of TV shows-I thought that big "V" was out to get me the way it just came right into your TV screen with that music-I think a couple of times I ran screaming to my room!  :o

Written By: La Roche on 07/04/07 at 9:44 pm

I was terrified of the Mysterons on Captain Scarlet, there big thing was "WE KNOW YOU CAN HEAR US EARTH MAN!" and I used to think they could hear me.  :\'(

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 07/04/07 at 10:09 pm

The Incredible Hulk (I had to leave the room when he changed into his green self)

The song, "Safety Dance"....don't even ask.

This picture that my grandma had hanging in her house

scary Halloween masks

Written By: Ashkicksass on 07/04/07 at 10:59 pm

My great-grandma had a male mannequin that she used as a seamstress, and it scared the Bejesus out of me.  His name was Fred and I always thought he would come to live and get me.  I was afraid of clowns after I saw Poltergeist, and I have been afraid of bugs my entire life.

Written By: Step-chan on 07/04/07 at 11:44 pm

That's only natural. ;)

Written By: whistledog on 07/04/07 at 11:47 pm

I was never into anything gross or shocking as a kid and those cards were scary as hell to me.

I used to be scared of those cards as well.  I never understood how they became so popular. 

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/04/07 at 11:48 pm

The video for this song was scary!

Written By: Step-chan on 07/04/07 at 11:55 pm

I used to be scared of those cards as well.  I never understood how they became so popular. 

My guess is because alot of parents hated them, thus making popular with kids.

Worse thing about it.. my sister collected them!!!

I actually watched a video that showed a collection of them not too long ago. But instead of bringing out a feeling of fear, it just made me feel nauseous... Kinda like when I went and looked through the bodily waste section on gurochan.

:P :P :P :P :P

Written By: karen on 07/05/07 at 4:08 am

Some Dr Who monsters.  Most of the time hiding behind the sofa worked but one I remember had a scarey voice as well.  I had to sit in another room with the radio one so I couldn't hear it.

Written By: Howard on 07/05/07 at 6:20 am

Wolfman.

Written By: Gis on 07/05/07 at 6:55 am

You want one of these
God no, do you know how close you have to get to the damn things with that, the handle's only a few inches long!  :o

Bless my Dad came to my rescue yesterday when Aragog decided to emerge from the understair cupboard when he was round.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/05/07 at 7:02 am

God no, do you know how close you have to get to the damn things with that, the handle's only a few inches long!  :o

Bless my Dad came to my rescue yesterday when Aragog decided to emerge from the understair cupboard when he was round.
Did you watch the film, you see the spider being released in the garden. That is fine, until it creeps back in the huse again.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 07/05/07 at 10:19 am

I had a whole bunch of them, that was until my parents looked at them and deemed them too gross....so they threw them away. :-\\

Written By: La Roche on 07/05/07 at 10:53 am

I had a whole bunch of them, that was until my parents looked at them and deemed them too gross....so they threw them away. :-\\

You're kidding.. they're just little cartoons.

Written By: Step-chan on 07/05/07 at 11:43 am

Nowadays most people wouldn't even bat an eye at them.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 07/05/07 at 12:19 pm

You're kidding.. they're just little cartoons.

maybe...but did you really ever look at them closely? Some of them were pretty gross....I was only about 7 or so at the time they were popular....AND, my parents were always funny about stuff like that. Well, needless to say, I replaced a lot of them a few years ago..I bought a huge lot of them on Ebay. :D

Written By: whistledog on 07/05/07 at 2:14 pm

oh man in the 80s, The Garbage Pail Kids were like hated by almost every parent.  I remember when the movie came out, everyone I knew just had to see it, but I had no interest

Remember an old episode of 'The Cosby Show' where Rudy and her friends want to watch a movie called 'The Gross Out Gang' about a bunch of kids who throw up on each other ;D

Written By: La Roche on 07/05/07 at 2:15 pm

maybe...but did you really ever look at them closely? Some of them were pretty gross....I was only about 7 or so at the time they were popular....AND, my parents were always funny about stuff like that. Well, needless to say, I replaced a lot of them a few years ago..I bought a huge lot of them on Ebay. :D

I suppose so.

I have a load of them too.  ;D

Written By: Step-chan on 07/05/07 at 3:23 pm

I suppose so.

I have a load of them too.  ;D

That doesn't surprise me.

:D

Written By: KKay on 07/05/07 at 3:26 pm

static on the tv and radio.

and dark.

Written By: La Roche on 07/05/07 at 3:27 pm

That's still so funny!

Written By: KKay on 07/05/07 at 3:28 pm

That's still so funny!

i know. i hate it.  now i play my own music in the car....eliminates the chance of hearing it on the radio.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/05/07 at 3:28 pm

and dark.
Inspired by the film Poltergeist?

Written By: Dominic L. on 07/05/07 at 3:29 pm

That makes me feel better.

Written By: La Roche on 07/05/07 at 3:30 pm

i know. i hate it.  now i play my own music in the car....eliminates the chance of hearing it on the radio.

What if the satellite goes out!?!?!!  :o :o

Did you know that about 0.1% of the background static there is leftover radiation from the big bang? You're watching the start of the Universe.

Written By: KKay on 07/05/07 at 3:31 pm

What if the satellite goes out!?!?!!  :o :o

Did you know that about 0.1% of the background static there is leftover radiation from the big bang? You're watching the start of the Universe.

see? that does not make me feel better. all the more reason to avoid hearing a pattern or a voice.  ewwwww.....cringing.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 07/05/07 at 7:08 pm

Snakes
Spiders
Heights
Incests

Written By: La Roche on 07/05/07 at 7:31 pm

see? that does not make me feel better. all the more reason to avoid hearing a pattern or a voice.  ewwwww.....cringing.

Ah ha, so you hear things in the static, I do that with noises a lot of the time, I turn them in to syllables of words and convince myself I'm having a conversation with the pipes.  :-\\

Written By: lorac61469 on 07/05/07 at 8:21 pm

and dark.

I never liked the sound of static either.

Inspired by the film Poltergeist?

My name is Carol Anne, same as the little girl from the movie.  Everyone teased me about that.  ;D

Written By: Marty McFly on 07/05/07 at 9:01 pm

Has anyone watched certain VHS tapes about 2 minutes after the credits stop rolling? Sometimes there's this white screen with a high-pitched buzzing noise. After I saw one of those, I used to be afraid to let a movie go past the end. ;D

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 07/05/07 at 10:18 pm

oh man in the 80s, The Garbage Pail Kids were like hated by almost every parent.  I remember when the movie came out, everyone I knew just had to see it, but I had no interest

Remember an old episode of 'The Cosby Show' where Rudy and her friends want to watch a movie called 'The Gross Out Gang' about a bunch of kids who throw up on each other ;D

hahaah....I remember that episode! :D

Has anyone watched certain VHS tapes about 2 minutes after the credits stop rolling? Sometimes there's this white screen with a high-pitched buzzing noise. After I saw one of those, I used to be afraid to let a movie go past the end. ;D

ooohhhh...white noise!!! ;) :D

Written By: Dominic L. on 07/05/07 at 10:21 pm

ooohhhh...white noise!!! ;) :D

*Heart explodes*.

Written By: Brian06 on 07/05/07 at 10:25 pm

or I've seen a test pattern and the beeeeeeeep noise! scary  :o

Written By: whistledog on 07/05/07 at 11:20 pm

For a while, I used to be scared of my telephone.  How's this for creepy ...

One day while I was messing around with my phone, I dialed 3-2-1, and this electronic voice came on and said "Micro Helper".  With every number I pressed from then on, it would say something different.  Eventually, I got bored and hung up.  Not even a few seconds later, the phone rang.  I picked it up, and on the line was that same electronic voice saying "Micro Helper"

To this day, I still don't know what that was, but I do know it no longer exists.  When I dial 3-2-1 now, nothing happens

Written By: coqueta83 on 07/05/07 at 11:22 pm

My mother wouldn't let me collect those cards for that very reason.

Written By: coqueta83 on 07/05/07 at 11:23 pm

That's what we used to do with videotapes when we first got a VCR......that white screen with that noise used to scare me, too, especially at night!

Written By: Barefoot_Blues on 07/06/07 at 1:55 pm

Shadows in the night.

Written By: Howard on 07/06/07 at 3:22 pm

Bullies. :(

Written By: spaceace on 07/06/07 at 3:24 pm

Me too!!!  Sometimes I was afraid to go anywhere because of them.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 07/06/07 at 3:25 pm

Same with me.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/06/07 at 3:26 pm

Have you consided revenge later on in life?

Written By: Howard on 07/06/07 at 3:27 pm

Me too!!!  Sometimes I was afraid to go anywhere because of them.

I remember getting teased by a overweight 400 pound bully. :o

Written By: spaceace on 07/06/07 at 3:28 pm

I remember getting teased by a overweight 400 pound bully. :o

Just the 400 pounds would scare me!!!

Written By: Howard on 07/06/07 at 3:29 pm

Have you consided revenge later on in life?

This one bully who used to tease Me and My brother back in High School,I saw him in CVS and I wound up making amends with him,shaking hands and stuff. :)

Written By: Howard on 07/06/07 at 3:29 pm

Just the 400 pounds would scare me!!!

Later on life he went to a fat farm or whatever it's called.

Written By: La Roche on 07/06/07 at 3:31 pm

This one bully who used to tease Me and My brother back in High School,I saw him in CVS and I wound up making amends with him,shaking hands and stuff. :)

You should roll him up in a carpet and dump him in the east river.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/06/07 at 3:31 pm

That is good to hear, for when young as children experience of is not so understanding.

Written By: Howard on 07/06/07 at 3:33 pm

You should roll him up in a carpet and dump him in the east river.

back then I didn't know any better.

Written By: Howard on 07/06/07 at 3:34 pm

That is good to hear, for when young as children experience of is not so understanding.

Today he has a girlfriend a a little girl to take care of. :)

Written By: La Roche on 07/06/07 at 3:34 pm

So now it's what you should do. But if he weighs 400lbs, you might need some help..

Written By: spaceace on 07/06/07 at 3:34 pm

You probably couldn't have lifted him to the river either. :P

Written By: Howard on 07/06/07 at 3:35 pm

So now it's what you should do. But if he weighs 400lbs, you might need some help..

Or he could help himself.

Written By: Howard on 07/06/07 at 3:35 pm

You probably couldn't have lifted him to the river either. :P

No...He was too fat. ;D

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/06/07 at 3:36 pm

Today he has a girlfriend a a little girl to take care of. :)
Responiblitity will hopefully keep him straight?

Written By: spaceace on 07/06/07 at 3:37 pm

Or he could help himself.

I think you're suppose to make sure he is securely in the rug, so that would be impossible.

Written By: Howard on 07/06/07 at 3:57 pm

Responiblitity will hopefully keep him straight?

He hasn't bullied me since the days of High School 16 years ago.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/06/07 at 3:58 pm

He hasn't bullied me since the days of High School 16 years ago.
In one sense, he would dare to now, for it will be a criminal offence.

Written By: Howard on 07/06/07 at 3:59 pm

In one sense, he would dare to now, for it will be a criminal offence.

Yeah,we're both in our 30's.

Written By: whistledog on 07/06/07 at 4:49 pm

Bullies for me also.  If I wasn't so scared of them when I was a kid, I'd have cracked some skulls lol

Written By: Marty McFly on 07/06/07 at 10:36 pm

That's what we used to do with videotapes when we first got a VCR......that white screen with that noise used to scare me, too, especially at night!

Yeah, I always wondered what causes it, and especially, why it only exists on certain tapes? Maybe they thought it would help remind people the movie was over (they probably thought it up when VCRs and VHS were still pretty new and we weren't as used to them).

Another thing is Tom Petty's video for the song "Don't Come Around Here No More". It's like a takeoff of Alice in Wonderland. Oddly, that song still makes me jump sometimes, even today, if I don't expect it. ;D

Here's the video, btw:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7gWzWqJu1k

Written By: Howard on 07/07/07 at 7:04 am

Yeah, I always wondered what causes it, and especially, why it only exists on certain tapes? Maybe they thought it would help remind people the movie was over (they probably thought it up when VCRs and VHS were still pretty new and we weren't as used to them).

Another thing is Tom Petty's video for the song "Don't Come Around Here No More". It's like a takeoff of Alice in Wonderland. Oddly, that song still makes me jump sometimes, even today, if I don't expect it. ;D

Here's the video, btw:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7gWzWqJu1k

even towards the end they all cut her up like she's a piece of cake. ;D

Written By: Howard on 07/07/07 at 7:05 am

Bullies for me also.  If I wasn't so scared of them when I was a kid, I'd have cracked some skulls lol

I was a wimp. ;D

Written By: Marty McFly on 07/07/07 at 7:16 am

even towards the end they all cut her up like she's a piece of cake. ;D

Oddly, that wasn't what scared me as much. It was towards the beginning, when Alice is walking alongside the mushrooms and the three female backup singers shout "Hey!" at the same time. Also, in the early '90s when VH1 still played it all the time, they sometimes started it just about the 0:22 spot. :o

I thought Tom was a scary dude for the longest time, because of this video (even though I've always liked his music).

P.S. The person who uploaded that video apparently got it off VH1 as well, but by the logo, I can tell it was from the late '90s. See, back around 1991 and '92, they could be kinda nitpicky with editing videos they aired. They often cut the beginnings and ends off, probably for time constraints (it was still basically videos or music related programming almost 24-7 then).

Written By: Rice_Cube on 07/07/07 at 11:54 pm

Olive Oyl.

Written By: whistledog on 07/08/07 at 2:09 am

Y'know what really used to scare me?  That old arcade game 'Splatterhouse'

The whole idea behind the game was this guy and his girl escape a rainstorm by running into an abandoned house in the woods.  Inside the house, the girl is mysteriously taken away, and the guy is cursed upon by a mask, to which he is forced to battle is way through a house of horrors.  I used to still play it though.  I loved using the rifle on the dude with the chainsaw hands LOL

http://www.joystiq.com/media/2006/04/splatterhouse_640joy.jpg

Written By: Step-chan on 07/08/07 at 2:57 pm

Y'know what really used to scare me?  That old arcade game 'Splatterhouse'

The whole idea behind the game was this guy and his girl escape a rainstorm by running into an abandoned house in the woods.  Inside the house, the girl is mysteriously taken away, and the guy is cursed upon by a mask, to which he is forced to battle is way through a house of horrors.  I used to still play it though.  I loved using the rifle on the dude with the chainsaw hands LOL

http://www.joystiq.com/media/2006/04/splatterhouse_640joy.jpg

Never played it, but I have seen it. Violent games never really scared me though.

Written By: Marty McFly on 07/08/07 at 4:05 pm

I guess there was a third thing, speaking of video games.

In Super Mario Bros 3, if anyone remembers in Level 4 it's a "Giant sized" world. The pirahna plants normally won't come out of the pipes if you're standing close to it, but they will on this one. Well, anyway, for some reason I was always mortified about the thought of being on top of their pipe with one of them coming up from below. I didn't even want to play that level merely for that reason. ;D

Written By: Dominic L. on 07/08/07 at 4:55 pm

In Super Mario Bros 3, if anyone remembers in Level 4 it's a "Giant sized" world. The pirahna plants normally won't come out of the pipes if you're standing close to it, but they will on this one. Well, anyway, for some reason I was always mortified about the thought of being on top of their pipe with one of them coming up from below. I didn't even want to play that level merely for that reason. ;D

Use the flute to pass it!

Written By: Marty McFly on 07/08/07 at 5:25 pm

^That's what I always did back in the day. ;)

Of course, the same thing sort of happens again with Level 7 (the Pipe World), because the "munchers" came come out from under you as well. I think that's why I stopped trying to beat the game after awhile, lol.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 07/08/07 at 10:16 pm

hahaa...we must be kindred spirits! I hated that too...it ALWAYS made me feel very tense.  Hey, btw, do you ever feel nervous about things in real life that are large? For example...sunflowers do that to me...they are just TOO big of a flower. Also, seeing large things in the sky unexpectedly....like hot air balloons, blimps, very large windmills..shadows of water towers...totally freaks me out! :D

Written By: Step-chan on 07/08/07 at 10:17 pm

I go through that level myself.

Written By: La Roche on 07/08/07 at 10:22 pm

I was terrified of E.T.

Shuttup, I'm brutal now!!

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 07/08/07 at 10:30 pm

I was terrified of E.T.

I HATED that movie..and I still do. I hated the part where he was sick, and Elliott was sick too...and he was all nasty and white as a ghost...so crappy.

Written By: La Roche on 07/08/07 at 11:19 pm

I HATED that movie..and I still do. I hated the part where he was sick, and Elliott was sick too...and he was all nasty and white as a ghost...so crappy.

I used to think he was standing on the other side of my bedroom door and that he was going to come in.. and.. look at me and stuff, uuurrggh I just hated that creepy bastard. I still do, stupid bug eyed jerk.

Written By: whistledog on 07/09/07 at 12:09 am

Never played it, but I have seen it. Violent games never really scared me though.

It wasn't the violence, but the horror theme mixed with the "Friday the Thirteenth" style music.  The home version produced for the "Turbo Grafx-16" came with a warning that the game has a horror theme and is not recommended for young children and cowards lol:
http://splatterhouse.classicgaming.gamespy.com/turboboxcover.jpg

You come face to face with swamp monsters in a sub basement, you battle a haunted house that throws knives at you, and in one level, you walk a silent hall of mirrors when unexpectedly a killer jumps out from behind a pane of glass.  First time I ever played it, I almost got a heart attack :o

http://img245.imageshack.us/img245/2438/splatterhouse1iy0.png

Written By: Dominic L. on 07/09/07 at 1:21 pm

I used to think he was standing on the other side of my bedroom door and that he was going to come in.. and.. look at me and stuff, uuurrggh I just hated that creepy bastard. I still do, stupid bug eyed jerk.

I used to have nightmares about him, really.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 07/09/07 at 1:23 pm

hahaha..and his voice was annoyingly creepy as well. Didn't you just want to kick him in the face?

Written By: Step-chan on 07/09/07 at 4:20 pm

It wasn't the violence, but the horror theme mixed with the "Friday the Thirteenth" style music.  The home version produced for the "Turbo Grafx-16" came with a warning that the game has a horror theme and is not recommended for young children and cowards lol:
http://splatterhouse.classicgaming.gamespy.com/turboboxcover.jpg

You come face to face with swamp monsters in a sub basement, you battle a haunted house that throws knives at you, and in one level, you walk a silent hall of mirrors when unexpectedly a killer jumps out from behind a pane of glass.  First time I ever played it, I almost got a heart attack :o

http://img245.imageshack.us/img245/2438/splatterhouse1iy0.png

Wasn't the last boss like a giant zombie or something?

Written By: Howard on 07/09/07 at 4:24 pm

I was terrified of E.T.

What made you terrified of ET? ???

Written By: Step-chan on 07/09/07 at 4:25 pm

I was terrified of E.T.

The Atari game is horrifically bad.  :o

Written By: Howard on 07/09/07 at 4:26 pm

Boogieman.

Written By: whistledog on 07/09/07 at 5:13 pm

Wasn't the last boss like a giant zombie or something?

It's been so long since I made it to the last boss.  If I remember, it was some big giant fire monster.  I remember having to jump over rolling fire logs to get to him lol

Written By: Howard on 07/09/07 at 5:36 pm

The Atari game is horrifically bad.  :o

I know what you mean. ::)

Written By: La Roche on 07/09/07 at 5:56 pm

Boogieman.

This is the 4th or 5th time you've mentioned the Boogyman.. and I for one am glad. The Boogyman's horrible antics really shouldn't be tolerated. Have you ever seen the Boogyman Howard? I've seen him a few times, he's a creepy bastard.

Written By: La Roche on 07/09/07 at 5:56 pm

hahaha..and his voice was annoyingly creepy as well. Didn't you just want to kick him in the face?

I wanted him to crash his space ship actually, I wouldn't wanna touch him.

Written By: Step-chan on 07/09/07 at 5:59 pm

It's been so long since I made it to the last boss.  If I remember, it was some big giant fire monster.  I remember having to jump over rolling fire logs to get to him lol

I remember seeing some giant zombie head on one stage picture, I should look it up on youtube.

I know what you mean. ::)

I never played it though, I just thought it was by looking at some videos of it.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 07/09/07 at 6:17 pm

- The ivy outside my window - it used to hit my window a lot during stormy nights.
- My Minnie Mouse poster - it was very creepy looking with the lights off. She looked possessed. I had to dump it, lol.
- Clowns - my brother and I both shared a hate for clowns.
- Swimming by myself in our pool and thinking Jaws was in the deep end of it.
- Being forgotten at school sometimes and staying there late, lol

Written By: Step-chan on 07/09/07 at 6:35 pm

Yep, it's a giant zombie head with hands that come out of the ground to attack.

The stage is full of fire, you're right about that.

Written By: lorac61469 on 07/09/07 at 6:47 pm

- Clowns - my brother and I both shared a hate for clowns.

I still don't like clowns very much.  The Shriner's called and asked if I would donate money and in return for the donation they would send me 2 tickets to the circus.  I told the guy that I would donate some money but he could keep the tickets!  ;D

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 07/09/07 at 7:16 pm

I still don't like clowns very much.  The Shriner's called and asked if I would donate money and in return for the donation they would send me 2 tickets to the circus.  I told the guy that I would donate some money but he could keep the tickets!  ;D

;D Yeah, I totally understand where you're coming from. I think what traumatized me was when I went to the circus at a very young age (I was about 3 or 4) and after the program, my Dad wanted me to see the clowns up close. I remember at first I wasn't scared to do that, but then once they got close to me, I started screaming!! I think somewhere I slithered down from my Dad's arms and got back to the ground and ran to my mom, lol.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 07/09/07 at 10:30 pm

clowns are so gross and creepy...and then Pennywise came along..and totally confirmed my hate for them.

Written By: whistledog on 07/10/07 at 1:59 am

Clowns aren't too bad.  Watch 'Uncle Buck' at the part where Buck punches the drunk clown

Clown: "Hey, you, let me tell you something you low-life-lying-four-flushing-sack-of-sh..."

Buck: *POW*

;D

Written By: Howard on 07/10/07 at 6:51 am

This is the 4th or 5th time you've mentioned the Boogyman.. and I for one am glad. The Boogyman's horrible antics really shouldn't be tolerated. Have you ever seen the Boogyman Howard? I've seen him a few times, he's a creepy bastard.

No I haven't.

Written By: La Roche on 07/10/07 at 11:23 am

No I haven't.

He probably hides under your bed or in the closet.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/10/07 at 12:09 pm

There was an incident that scared the crap out of me when I was kid. Two of my sisters and I had a slumber party. Each one of us had at least 1 or 2 friends each. I'm not too sure exactly how many of us were there, 9? 12? something like that. We did what you would normally do at a slumber party-we had a seance. At this time, my grandfather had just recently passed away so we decided that we were going to try to contact him. I can't remember who was doing the speaking but she said, "If you are in this room, please give us a sign". Little did I know that one of my sisters had a super ball in her hand and threw it at that moment. You never heard how loud 9-12 girls could scream. My mother came running out of her room to see what was going on. By this time, everyone (except me) realized that my sister threw that ball and they were all laughing. I was still scared because I thought our living room was being haunted by the ghost of my grandfather.  ;D ;D ;D  I think somebody had enlightened me BEFORE I went to sleep-but I still wasn't too sure.  :D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: Howard on 07/10/07 at 4:17 pm

He probably hides under your bed or in the closet.

No,that's only Robin.  ;) ;D

Written By: whistledog on 07/10/07 at 4:23 pm

No,that's only Robin.  ;) ;D

Robin hides under your bed? ???

Written By: Howard on 07/10/07 at 4:28 pm

Robin hides under your bed? ???

Only at night!

only when my parents are asleep. ;D

Written By: KKay on 07/10/07 at 5:22 pm

I thought that Bigfoot was inNew Jersey and that he was going to come over the outerbridge Crossing and find my house and put a ladder against the house and get me.

Bigfoot is the reason i'm scared of certain 70s songs.  they played on my clock radio while i waited for bigfoot to come get me.
(ex:miracles by jefferson starship)

Written By: whistledog on 07/10/07 at 5:46 pm

Only at night!

only when my parents are asleep. ;D

Why doesn't she hide in your bed?

Written By: La Roche on 07/10/07 at 11:20 pm

I thought that Bigfoot was inNew Jersey and that he was going to come over the outerbridge Crossing and find my house and put a ladder against the house and get me.

Bigfoot is the reason i'm scared of certain 70s songs.  they played on my clock radio while i waited for bigfoot to come get me.
(ex:miracles by jefferson starship)

You're so weird.

You need to worry about Gojira!

Written By: Howard on 07/11/07 at 6:55 am

Why doesn't she hide in your bed?

I don't know,let me ask her. ;D

Written By: KKay on 07/11/07 at 7:31 am

You're so weird.

You need to worry about Gojira!

he only bugs people in the pacific.

Written By: La Roche on 07/11/07 at 12:00 pm

he only bugs people in the pacific.

Clearly you don't watch the same movies as me.

Written By: Howard on 07/11/07 at 4:51 pm

Gory horror films.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/12/07 at 8:20 am

When I was young, I was frightened of the Dentist in our area, who had a surgery next door to my school. He never seemed to greet the children properly, as if he hated children in the first place. One time I recall, he mentioned "didn't I nearly knock you down when crossing the road the other day". This phrase has haunted me throught my life thinking that he meant it.

Written By: KKay on 07/12/07 at 6:04 pm

I just remembered that I was scared of this family on the other side of town.  They had a big S on the front of their house, which stood for "Skelton".  I thought it stood for 'skeleton' and that they were ...well imagine a family in those typical skeleton bodysuits.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/13/07 at 2:44 am

There was a house near my sister's school. The house was gothic looking and unkept, it always looked haunted, I never wanted to pass by it.

Written By: Howard on 07/13/07 at 3:46 pm

going to the doctor when he gives you a shot. :o

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 07/13/07 at 4:30 pm

The car wash scared the bejesus out of me, as I recall. We used to have the kind with the fabric strips swishing away and twisting and twirling around the car. Till this day, I still have a slight fear of them, although it has lessoned and I do go to them when I absolutely need a car wash, but usually, I will wash my car on my own, by preference.

Written By: Step-chan on 07/13/07 at 9:26 pm

I'm glad I never got a bi-opsy until this year, it's something to be nervous about.

Written By: annonymouse on 07/13/07 at 10:38 pm

yes! i was trying to think of something i was afraid of and that's it! i was always paranoid that i would look into a mirror and see someone standing behind me. i also hated it when my sisters would close the shower curtain after they got out of the shower. there was always a part of me that felt the need to pull back the curtain to make sure no one was in there, but at the same time, i was scared to. i would pull it back REALLY fast and then juump away just incase!

Written By: whistledog on 07/13/07 at 11:43 pm

When I was a kid, there used to be this old abandoned brick house near my neighbourhood.  It was the last remaining of what used to be farmland before a residential neighbourhood was built.  Me and my friends used to go up to this house, and if you peeked through a crack in the door, you could see there was a mirror behind the door, to which you would be able to see the reflection of your eye.  Of course I was at a young age, so I thought it was someone inside this house looking back at me

Eventually this house was torn down, and now in it's place is a Catholic Secondary School

Written By: La Roche on 07/14/07 at 12:24 am

Still scares me. I spazz out around needles. I've not been immunized for half the things you're supposed to get shots for because I took one look and said "No thanks."

Written By: whistledog on 07/14/07 at 12:36 am

Getting needles isn't all that bad, of course I too am scared of them for one reason .. the nurse who used to work at the doctor's office I went to was all thumbs.  She'd give me a needle, and then realize she goofed, and would have to give me another one.  I go to get one shot, and end up getting like 5 of them

Everytime I had to go and see my doctor, I would try to get appointments on days when she wasn't there.  She's taken so many blood samples from me, I'm surprised I'm not running low lol

Written By: Howard on 07/14/07 at 7:02 pm

Still scares me. I spazz out around needles. I've not been immunized for half the things you're supposed to get shots for because I took one look and said "No thanks."

I close my eyes and turn away.

Written By: Dominic L. on 07/14/07 at 9:39 pm

I close my eyes and turn away.

I close my eyes and turn away
As you begin what you're gonna say.
I don't have time for this today,
So just let me live without your sway.

Written By: Howard on 07/15/07 at 7:33 pm

I close my eyes and turn away
As you begin what you're gonna say.
I don't have time for this today,
So just let me live without your sway.

Who sang that?

Written By: Dominic L. on 07/15/07 at 7:39 pm

Who sang that?

Uh... Nobody.

Written By: Howard on 07/15/07 at 7:42 pm

Those sparklers you swing around on July 4th.

Written By: KKay on 07/16/07 at 9:08 pm

the basement steps

Written By: Howard on 07/17/07 at 5:10 pm

the basement steps

Why?

Written By: lorac61469 on 07/17/07 at 7:25 pm

Bessie...the old lady who lived down the street from me.  She was mean, she had a mole with hairs and she looked crazy.  I think she gave the EVIL EYE to all the kids in the neighborhood.  ;D

Check for new replies or respond here...