inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: college life

Written By: ElDuderino on 08/29/05 at 9:57 pm

I started college this last week at TJC(Tyler Junior College).

Classes went fine..My spanish professor is pretty funny.

Beautiful girls everywhere.  ;D

Anyone wanna talk about their college days or share advice?

Subject: Re: college life

Written By: Dagwood on 08/29/05 at 10:17 pm

Don't have any advice, didn't make it to college.  Study hard and good luck with all your classes. :)

Written By: ElDuderino on 08/29/05 at 10:19 pm

Thanks, Dagwood. :)

LOL, crazymom. Hang in there. Heres hope on us both finishing.  :P

Written By: Alchoholica on 08/29/05 at 10:26 pm

Well, i gave you my manly advice on MSN.. however in terms of school.. you should be helping me.. your the smart one  ;D

Written By: ElDuderino on 08/29/05 at 10:31 pm

I might be smart but i never said I was a great student. ;D

Written By: Alchoholica on 08/29/05 at 10:33 pm

I might be smart but i never said I was a grear student. ;D

Same here.. all that wasted potential. All those sharp blows to the head  ;D

Written By: ADH13 on 08/29/05 at 10:40 pm

So Alex... were we right when we said you would get over her in time?

Written By: ElDuderino on 08/29/05 at 10:44 pm

Yeah. Why are ya askin about that, though? :P

Written By: ADH13 on 08/29/05 at 10:45 pm

Yeah. Why are ya askin about that, though? :P

was just hoping you weren't still stressing about that... I'm glad to hear you're not! :)

Written By: ADH13 on 08/29/05 at 10:46 pm

oh yeah... and so I could say "I TOLD YOU SO!" ;D

just kidding

Written By: ElDuderino on 08/29/05 at 10:49 pm

Andrew told me a few pointers that seem helpful.

But honestly though, I have no experience or anything, I'm kinda antisocial, and to be brutally honest about myself..I am playing in the 'big leagues' now as far as dating. I didnt have what it took to hack it before, then I most certainly don't now. So I won't really get my hopes up.

Written By: ElDuderino on 08/29/05 at 10:55 pm

My cousin whom I've been very best friends with since I was about 5 came and visited a few weeks ago. Hes a lady killer, and went on vividly about all of his "stories". He seemed surprised and kinda dissappointed in me that i couldn't reciprocate. That kind of bothered me, because we are so close. Otherwise though, I'm living with it. Not everyone is good at everything. Some people love music and would like to be rock stars, but unfortunately have no music ability.

Written By: ElDuderino on 08/29/05 at 10:57 pm

Besides they have places for guys like me who can't get any at college.

High Schools. 8)

Just kidding. :P

Written By: ADH13 on 08/29/05 at 10:58 pm

Andrew told me a few pointers that seem helpful.

But honestly though, I have no experience or anything, I'm kinda antisocial, and to be brutally honest about myself..I am playing in the 'big leagues' now as far as dating. I didnt have what it took to hack it before, then I most certainly don't now. So I won't really get my hopes up.

Just don't try too hard... sometimes the best things come to you when you're not even looking.

Written By: ElDuderino on 08/29/05 at 11:00 pm

I probably won't be trying. I feel way too intimidated by college women. I know i probably shouldn't, and that there are others like me, blah blah blah but being so inexperienced in college i kinda feel like the 40 year old virgin.

Written By: ElDuderino on 08/29/05 at 11:04 pm

I think its probably better safe than sorry. I don't want to become hurt again. Don't wanna screw up my studies.

Besides, if I get horny enough I can get a prostitute. I know where to find them in this town. lol.

Written By: ElDuderino on 08/29/05 at 11:11 pm

Actually it seems much more fair. You get a set price and a guarantee of sex. ;D

Dating girls you aren't told initially what the price to you will be, and you definitely don't have a gaurantee of sex! :P

Written By: Alchoholica on 08/29/05 at 11:15 pm

Actually it seems much more fair. You get a set price and a guarantee of sex. ;D

Dating girls you aren't told initially what the price to you will be, and you definitely don't have a gaurantee of sex! :P

No comment.. I'm pretty attatched to my bollocks.

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 08/30/05 at 6:29 am

I'm in "college" as we speak. Muuuch better than high school (would never go back to that prison-hold, never  :P) but still not as "fun" (fun being, you have to sit through lecture after lecture after lunch after lecture ..... for 8 hours a day) as work.

There are lots of perks such as: student discounts, long holidays, 3 day weekends, skipping classes won't get you stood down or fired...

Enjoy it.  8)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/30/05 at 11:12 am

My advice, READ!!! Not just what the professors assign but what they don't assign too. Talk to the professors-pick their brains. Despite what some may think, that is what they are there for. Many people feel intimidated by professors but they are just ordinary people. You may get one or two who think their stuff doesn't stink but most of them are good people. Oh yeah, GO TO CLASS! It is amazing how many students don't go to class or they do hungover. Remember it is YOUR education. What you get out of it is as much as you put into it.

Cat

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 08/30/05 at 12:06 pm

I went to college with my mom (we were both the same major, too)...

Now that was quite interesting!  :D

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 08/30/05 at 12:40 pm

So Alex... were we right when we said you would get over her in time?

Actually, I was going to ask him the same thing!!  ;D

Beth

Written By: ElDuderino on 08/30/05 at 1:19 pm

I was hoping to get a rise out of you guys with my hooker comments. And nada. You're no fun! ;D

Written By: jiminy on 08/31/05 at 6:50 pm

I think its probably better safe than sorry. I don't want to become hurt again. Don't wanna screw up my studies.

Besides, if I get horny enough I can get a prostitute. I know where to find them in this town. lol.

don't spend all of your lunch money  ;)

Written By: Apricot on 08/31/05 at 8:04 pm

Beautiful girls everywhere.  ;D

Really? All the college girls in our town are pretty unappealing.

Written By: nally on 08/31/05 at 10:23 pm

ummm.....I don't think you want advice from me, I started college in 1989 and STILL am not done :D

You've been in college for 16 years now?? :o

I started college in 1998 and still have a ways to go yet. But for the first three years of my college life, I attended junior colleges.

And I've met a lot of cute girls during my college time. ;D 8)

Written By: nally on 08/31/05 at 10:49 pm

I went to college with my mom (we were both the same major, too)...

Now that was quite interesting!  :D

I would say so!

By the way, what was that major? ;)

Written By: ElDuderino on 09/01/05 at 11:20 am

don't spend all of your lunch money ;)

Hardy har har. I'm grown dude I don't get lunch money. I need to get work money but my bum self can't find a job. Whick sucks.

Written By: nally on 09/01/05 at 1:14 pm

I'm in "college" as we speak. Muuuch better than high school (would never go back to that prison-hold, never :P) but still not as "fun" (fun being, you have to sit through lecture after lecture after lunch after lecture ..... for 8 hours a day) as work.

There are lots of perks such as: student discounts, long holidays, 3 day weekends, skipping classes won't get you stood down or fired...

Enjoy it. 8)

I know. I enjoyed not having any classes on Fridays. In fact, as soon as I transferred to the university four years ago, I actually had a couple Friday classes the fall semester (2001). It worked out for me, though. The calculus class (which met daily, from 1-2 PM) was enjoyable, mostly due to the professor, and the jazz class was good too (I met a cute girl in there; we sat next to each other just about every day, except for when we had tests). After spring '02, I tried to avoid Friday classes as much as possible.

Written By: nally on 09/27/05 at 5:37 pm

I know. I enjoyed not having any classes on Fridays. In fact, as soon as I transferred to the university four years ago, I actually had a couple Friday classes the fall semester (2001). It worked out for me, though. The calculus class (which met daily, from 1-2 PM) was enjoyable, mostly due to the professor, and the jazz class was good too (I met a cute girl in there; we sat next to each other just about every day, except for when we had tests). After spring '02, I tried to avoid Friday classes as much as possible.

And now I only have two classes this semester; I'm just trying to take it easy.

Written By: whistledog on 09/27/05 at 8:29 pm

i kind of miss college  :\'(

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 09/27/05 at 9:40 pm

I start in March

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 09/27/05 at 9:44 pm

I am finally going back to finish my degree after YEARS of trying to complete it!! I am really excited!

Erin :)

Written By: Alchoholica on 09/27/05 at 9:47 pm

I start in March

I'll be.. (if i don't fail algebra  ;) ).. 13 credits ahead of you by that time i think  ;D

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 09/27/05 at 9:53 pm

I'll be.. (if i don't fail algebra  ;) ).. 13 credits ahead of you by that time i think  ;D

true...but she will be totally finished in 2 years! ;)

Written By: Alchoholica on 09/27/05 at 9:54 pm

I thought she was going for the full degree?

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 09/27/05 at 9:56 pm

I thought she was going for the full degree?

well...she has that option...but why the heck pay more money to continue 2 extra years...if you are offered an awesome paying job after just 2?? I guess she will just have to see what happens when that time comes.

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 09/27/05 at 9:57 pm

Yeah, 2 years at Oakbridge. Then I'm going to Point Park for another 2 years, to get my bachelors degree.

Beth

Written By: Dominic L. on 09/27/05 at 10:20 pm

Oh yeah well I'm going soon... like in 4-5 years!

Written By: C.NOIZE on 09/27/05 at 10:41 pm

I don't even think I'm gonna go to college.  I'm seeing more and more that school is pointless.  13 years for a piece of paper.  Why waste another 4 for a second sheet?  I don't need no papers with ink on them to prove my intelligence.

Yes, I know that was a double negative...  ::)

Written By: nally on 09/27/05 at 11:40 pm

It'll take me at least two more years to finish the liberal studies degree I'm working on. I'm in no big hurry; I'm just taking my time.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 09/28/05 at 1:28 am

My cousin whom I've been very best friends with since I was about 5 came and visited a few weeks ago. Hes a lady killer, and went on vividly about all of his "stories". He seemed surprised and kinda dissappointed in me that i couldn't reciprocate. That kind of bothered me, because we are so close. Otherwise though, I'm living with it. Not everyone is good at everything. Some people love music and would like to be rock stars, but unfortunately have no music ability.

It will take time. I am no female cassanova, but I have found that being alone can also be very precious and you can learn alot about yourself during those alone time (like driving alone on a lonely highway, riding alone on a plane, working alone on a project, etc). Yet, having a parner from time to time will always be worth the experience - whether it works or not. Just keep things rolling if they;re going well, and you'll probably rarely have any hurdles to go through. Keep expectations to a minimum, because we have to remember that our parner are not who we are. We are two different people from two different families (and possibly, two different generations) and the most we can do is learn from them and soak it up.

Oh yeah, this is a college advice column, opps! Well, I've been going to community college for 4 years and even though I'm super darn close to my AA degree, I'm still plodding along like a person knee-deep in quick sand. College is a whole different league from High School. The teachers are laid back (well, most of them) and some don't give a damn if you're there or not, but don't piss them off by coming in super tardy. I think being tardy will always be the biggest kicker for any teacher at any school. Do your research on projects and even if it freaks you out to friggin' tears, SAY something in class and/or suggest an answer - that will earn you some major points with students and teachers alike. Even suggest that you'll be the person directing a project (it's better to do it now than later down the line after semesters of avoiding it) then at least you've got your skills on how to handle a group project because THEY happen and it does SUCK. Especially, if you're taking the slack for their crappy input and you end up having to take the crappy grade for everybody.

Okay, well, that's all I have for now..

Check for new replies or respond here...