inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Does it look ugly when people hang their laundry on their balcony?

Written By: Satish on 08/30/05 at 1:57 pm

I live in a fairly large condominium building(it's 20 storeys tall), and we had our annual resident's meeting yesterday. At the meeting, someone made the point that she doesn't like the way it makes the building look from the outside when people hang their laundry out to dry on their balconies, and she wants the condo's management to put rules in place preventing people from doing it.

Now, I think that would be totally unjustified and unfair. People should have the freedom to do what they want in the sanctity of their own homes if it doesn't hurt anyone else, and their balconies, after all, are a part of their homes. And I don't think it's hurting anybody if you happen not to be living up to someone else's expectations about how they want their building to look like. Why shouldn't people be allowed to let their lacy bras and boxer shorts blow in the wind for all the world to see, if that's their choice?

And furthermore, people who hang their laundry out to dry are helping the environment as well, since they aren't using electric dryers on their clothes.

The woman at the resident's meeting said laundry on balconies makes the building "look like a slum." Now, our building is a fairly decent place to live, and it certainly isn't a slum. I have to say that I strongly disagree with her on this issue.

What's everyone else think?

Subject: Re: Does it look ugly when people hang their laundry on their balcony?

Written By: danootaandme on 08/30/05 at 2:27 pm

To be honest, I wouldn't want to see laundry hanging out on a balcony of a house I lived in.  When I was a kid my mother would hang out laundry, but always on the back screened in porch, in winter.  That was
a long time ago, before most people, including us, had driers. 

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/30/05 at 2:58 pm

No, I may start posting pictures to shame my neighbours!

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 08/30/05 at 3:13 pm

People can purchase an indoor thingy to hang their laundry from hangers rather than on clothespins if they really have to. I hang about 75% of my clothing on hang dry because it keeps the colors lasting longer and the allows my clothes to get nice and stiff (I bet Jiminy is gonna like that one)

Written By: Bobby on 08/30/05 at 3:28 pm

I put depends. If you've got to do it, you've got to do it.  :)

Written By: jiminy on 08/30/05 at 3:32 pm

Arnold Layne by Pink Floyd

Arnold Layne had a strange hobby
Collecting clothes
Moonshine washing line
They suit him fine
On the wall hung a tall mirror
Distorted view, see through baby blue
Oh, Arnold Layne
It's not the same, takes two to know
Two to know, two to know
Why can't you see?
Arnold Layne, Arnold Layne, Arnold Layne, Arnold Layne

Now he's caught - a nasty sort of person
They gave him time
Doors bang - chain gang - he hates it
Oh, Arnold Layne
Two to know, two to know
Why can't you see?

Written By: Bobby on 08/30/05 at 3:34 pm

Arnold Layne by Pink Floyd

Arnold Layne had a strange hobby
Collecting clothes
Moonshine washing line
They suit him fine
On the wall hung a tall mirror
Distorted view, see through baby blue
Oh, Arnold Layne
Two to know, two to know
Why can't you see?

Now he's caught - a nasty sort of person
They gave him time
Doors bang - chain gang - he hates it
Oh, Arnold Layne
Two to know, two to know
Why can't you see?

We can all depend on James for a song.  ::) ;D

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 08/30/05 at 3:39 pm

I put depends. If you've got to do it, you've got to do it.  :)

My thoughts exactly.

Written By: jiminy on 08/30/05 at 3:45 pm

well if it were a fat woman's panties i would like to try skydiving   :D

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 08/30/05 at 4:53 pm

Doesn't bother me. But you don't see it down here, what with every house in this neighbourhood having large enough sections to place an ordinary clothes line on it.  :D

Written By: Howard on 08/30/05 at 5:29 pm

well if it were a fat woman's panties i would like to try skydiving   :D

Why a fat woman's panties?

Written By: jiminy on 08/30/05 at 5:32 pm

Why a fat woman's panties?

they are big and would make a nice parachute  ;D

Written By: Paul on 08/30/05 at 5:33 pm

Doesn't bother me. But you don't see it down here, what with every house in this neighbourhood having large enough sections to place an ordinary clothes line on it.  :D

My back garden is the same, so I can hang my 'smalls' with no shame...

(Mind you, it's nothing to what next door puts out!)

Written By: Satish on 08/30/05 at 8:54 pm

Some of you seem not to like the appearance of laundry on balconies. That's fine, that's your opinion.... but the question I'm asking is, should there be rules actually prohibiting it?

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 08/31/05 at 5:35 am

Ban it?

That's just crazy.  >:(

Don't like it, don't look at it. Simple. Not everyone can afford to pay to dry clothes in a dryer every day, and I can image houses that do this would be rather small, so hanging clothing up inside isn't an option either.

I think it's absolutely stupid people getting upset over people hanging clothing on a line.  ::) GET A FREAKING LIFE PEOPLE!  >:(

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 08/31/05 at 5:38 am

I voted on "it depends" on the simple basis that if a MAJORITY of the homeowners don't want it done, then it should be banned.  However, if it's a small minority, then heck no.  I live in a subdivision where our homeowner's association tries to regulate EVERY frickin thing we do to the outside of our homes and yards(and I'm sure they would try to do the inside if they thought they could get away with it ::)).  Needless to say, hanging laundry out to dry in here would get you fined $50 :o
Ugh, we have rich little subdivisions like than. You'd never catch me living there.  ::)

We (my parents) were thinking of building in one once, but we decided no after hearing all the crazy restrictions regarding materials, how our yard should look, petty little rules etc. Crazy.  :P

Written By: whitewolf on 08/31/05 at 9:06 am

Ban it?

I think it's absolutely stupid people getting upset over people hanging clothing on a line.  ::) GET A FREAKING LIFE PEOPLE!  >:(

The original post wasn't about hanging clothes on a line but over a balcony. I hang my clothes on a line but if I was somewhere without space for a line I would not hang them over a balcony.

Written By: Howard on 08/31/05 at 5:35 pm

they are big and would make a nice parachute  ;D

You would actually stick your head in those? :P

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 08/31/05 at 9:26 pm

Actually, when we built our house here, it wasn't too bad...basically, you had to get approval for MAJOR renovations, which you have to do in ALL of the subdivisions in our area.  However, a new group of people are in place and they are IDIOTS!!!  But, I digress (I could write a huge diatribe on them ;D)....my husband is getting so frustrated, he's thinking of moving JUST to get away from them because they're so bad >:(

that's how it is where my aunt and uncle live. They live on Hilton Head Island, SC...and the plantation that they live in has rules like that. Everything has to be natural/earth tones..nothing flashy, etc.  Even when you go to the grocery stores/Walmart/etc...everything blends in.  It looks very nice and everything...but it doesn't allow for too much originality or creativity....so basically, there are no pink flamingos in anyone's yards! LOL!

Erin :)

Check for new replies or respond here...