inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Eating habits?

Written By: whitewolf on 08/31/05 at 7:59 pm

I used to eat only one meal a day and was never hungry.

Now I have changed my eating habits and having little (healthy like an apple, oranges, yogurt, crackers etc.) snacks through out the day in addition to one big meal and I feel like I am always hungry. WTF is up with that.

Subject: Re: Eating habits?

Written By: Apricot on 08/31/05 at 8:03 pm

I eat when I'm told to, but here's what works best for me...

Eat one meal, something you'd eat for lunch, at 9 AM... eat one breakfast-esque meal at 11 PM... have two snacks during the day.

Written By: ADH13 on 08/31/05 at 8:03 pm

For me, I get hungry when I'm used to eating.   If I go for months without eating breakfast, I won't be hungry in the morning...  but if I start eating every morning, then I wake up hungry.

I have always heard it's not good to only eat one meal a day though... ???

Written By: Dominic L. on 08/31/05 at 8:06 pm

You're supposed to have three snacks/three meals a day
Funny, I just learned about this in health class today.

I sometimes aren't hungry all day, but other days I just can't stop being hungry!

Written By: whitewolf on 08/31/05 at 8:08 pm

For me, I get hungry when I'm used to eating.   If I go for months without eating breakfast, I won't be hungry in the morning...  but if I start eating every morning, then I wake up hungry.

Yeah I know but before now I didn't have an appetite I would only eat because I had to to survive.

Written By: whitewolf on 08/31/05 at 8:10 pm

You're supposed to have three snacks/three meals a day
Funny, I just learned about this in health class today.

I sometimes aren't hungry all day, but other days I just can't stop being hungry!

what about having one big meal and dividing up the others into a couple more little snacks :)

Written By: shiprunner12 on 08/31/05 at 8:25 pm

I usually have a really small breakfast, and lunch. Then I have a snack around 3-4, and then dinner, but for some reason I always get extremely hungry around 10.

Written By: Apricot on 08/31/05 at 8:29 pm

10 is my hunger time, but 11 is the most gratifying time to eat.. for me, anyway.. I don't eat breakfast. Except when my mom makes me.

Written By: ADH13 on 08/31/05 at 8:31 pm

I might add, by the way.. that I do have a mild eating disorder.. and I am probably not the best example when it comes to eating.

The most common effect I experience is that I will feel really hungry.. so I will serve myself a good size serving.. then after a few bites, I feel like I'm stuffed.  My husband will always tell me "Eat! Eat!" but he doesn't understand that I can't force myself to eat because it will make me ill.  This usually happens when I am not feeling right.. whether it be because of stress or even the heat during the summer.  Sometimes it happens for no reason.

But then there are certain things I can eat alot of.. salad is one.  Fast food is another, which is why I tend to eat fast food almost daily.

Written By: Alchoholica on 08/31/05 at 8:40 pm

I must be the only one that paid attention to those Adverts during the John Major years  ;D

I eat Breakfast at around 8:30-9ish every day. Usually a bowl of cereal.

I tend to eat lunch at around 12:30-1ish every day. Usually i will try and have something fairly mixed.. Meat, Bread and Vegetables.

I like to have dinner around 6:30-7ish. Not too late but not too early.

Personally, i like home cooked meals. Burritos, Lasagne, Pork Chops, Chicken breast etc, but we tend to eat out a lot so i usually have a salad and maybe a sandwhich or something.

I hardly ever eat fast food anymore and i'm still a fat bastard  ;D

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 08/31/05 at 9:21 pm

I usually don't eat breakfast because I usually feel sick in the mornings..

sometimes I will have lunch with Vaughn (usually anywhere around 1-2)

then we eat dinner together anywhere from (5-7)

and that is usually it.....I might have something small at night (popcorn or a nutra grain bar, etc)

Erin :)

Written By: Tam on 08/31/05 at 10:51 pm

I eat 4 meals a day.

I eat breakfast around 8
Lunch around 11:30
Afternoon meal around 3
and dinner around 6:30

I call it metabolism maintenance.
As long as there is food in your belly your stomach is constantly digesting.
Digestion speeds up your metabolism thus helping to burn off fat.
(Exercise helps as well)

I used to only eat 1 meal a day but I kept putting on weight
The Dr explained it that: when you eat only one meal your body thinks thats all its getting
so it stores up the excess fat from the meal in order to sustain you through the next 24 hours
therefor adding fat to your body instead of using it
;)

Written By: NullandVoid on 08/31/05 at 11:40 pm

Eating is a touchy subject with me.

I usually only eat one good meal a day, the rest is filled with pepsi and the occasional can of Nutrament.

Written By: Marty McFly on 09/01/05 at 1:53 am

I'm probably not the best person for advice (I sometimes get up at different times, so it's not always the same, LOL) but at least two meals and a couple snacks during the day usually does it for me.

I've been a vegetarian since '01 so I've always tried to have healthy or at least semi healthier snacks, and that usually helps too. On the other hand, if you're hungry you're hungry, and I can't always predict when that's gonna happen.

It's hard NOT to get fast food (esp for the conveinence) but I've tried to cut down on that too.

I'm at 179 now - if I can just get into the 160's that'd be perfect. :)

Written By: ADH13 on 09/01/05 at 1:57 am

I'm probably not the best person for advice (I sometimes get up at different times, so it's not always the same, LOL) but at least two meals and a couple snacks during the day usually does it for me.

I've been a vegetarian since '01 so I've always tried to have healthy or at least semi healthier snacks, and that usually helps too. On the other hand, if you're hungry you're hungry, and I can't always predict when that's gonna happen.

It's hard NOT to get fast food (esp for the conveinence) but I've tried to cut down on that too.

I'm at 179 now - if I can just get into the 160's that'd be perfect. :)

Are you a complete vegetarian??  I'm not a vegetarian, but I don't eat much meat.  Not for any animal rights reasons or anything, I just don't like the taste of meat.  I'll eat cold cuts though, or things like pepperoni on pizza, or ground beef in spaghetti sauce, etc.  But I will rarely eat anything like steak, ribs, etc.  I do eat hamburgers.. but they have to be good hamburgers, not like McDonalds.  Bakers Square makes good burgers. :)

Written By: Marty McFly on 09/01/05 at 2:02 am

Are you a complete vegetarian?? I'm not a vegetarian, but I don't eat much meat. Not for any animal rights reasons or anything, I just don't like the taste of meat. I'll eat cold cuts though, or things like pepperoni on pizza, or ground beef in spaghetti sauce, etc. But I will rarely eat anything like steak, ribs, etc. I do eat hamburgers.. but they have to be good hamburgers, not like McDonalds. Bakers Square makes good burgers. :)

Yeah I'm pretty much the same. I still have fish and dairy (aren't people who don't eat any animal-related products considered vegans?). Just nothing from cows, etc - same with turkey and chicken, etc.

Actually I never consciously planned on doing that - but when I started working out in the summer of 2001 I was totally into health food and thought I'd just give it a try for 1 month without any meat. Turns out I never wanted to go back when the time ended.

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 09/01/05 at 2:09 am

I eat at least 2 meals a day - breakfast and tea. Lunch is split up into whatever I snack on during the day. I very rarely eat anything after tea and before breakfast.

It seems to suit me fine, It's what I eat that I should watch (not so much for weight, but for health)

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 09/01/05 at 2:11 am

I also hardly ever get takeaways. Maybe the odd night where I have hot chips for tea, or the occasional sandwich from subway. I cannot stand McD's, Wendys, KFC or Burger King.  :P

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 09/01/05 at 3:24 am

I actually am on a very good schedule with my eating habits right now. I guess since my life revolves around certain hours to get things done, I have my body set at a clock for certain hunger moments - so I am usually eating at the same time everyday.

Yet, I will skip on breakfast every once in awhile.. I think my allergies have something to do with the fact that I have an aversion to certain foods in the early morning hours.

Written By: Paul on 09/01/05 at 4:36 am

You heard right, Andrea...

...but (apart from a bowl of sawdust first thing in the morning) that's exactly what I do - so I won't pass judgement!

The old saying used to go...

'Breakfast like a King, dine like a Lord and sup like a Pauper'

...in other words, your three meals should lessen in content as the day passes...thus endeth the lesson!

Written By: karen on 09/01/05 at 4:49 am

I eat a bowl or two of cereal in the mornings, though at the weekends I sometimes replace the second bowlful with two slices of toast.  during the week lunch is usuaully sandwiches, fruit and a chocolate biscuit.  At the weekends it depends on what we are doing, sometimes we call into subway or the chip shop or have something on toast.  Our evening meal is usually the largest meal of the day.  In the summer we eat a lot of salad, otherwise it's usually meat, potatoes and two veg.

Written By: Gis on 09/01/05 at 4:58 am

When I'm at work I eat breakfast at 7 am
A sandwich, handful of cherry tomatoes and a yoghurt at 11am
A handful of mixed nuts and seeds at 1.30pm
Fruit at 3.30pm
and finally my dinner at about 7.30pm

At the weekend I eat wheneverand whatever really !

Is it just me or do you always find you are really hungry on a sunday and eat loads???

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/01/05 at 11:26 am

I drink 3-4 cups of tea in the morning. When I am done with my tea, I will eat lunch anywhere from 12-2 (sometimes earlier or later)-unless I go to lunch with a friend and then it is at 11:30. I may snack about 4 or so and then eat dinner about 8. (Yes, we eat late-I don't like to but when someone else is cooking, you can't control that). I may snack a bit after dinner.

Hubby on the hand only eats dinner and then after-snacks also for the rest of the night-until we go to bed.

Cat

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 09/01/05 at 12:01 pm

I normally have 3 meals a day, but I sometimes skip lunch.  :)

Written By: Step-chan on 09/01/05 at 12:35 pm

I wake up hungry no matter what eating patterns I have, due to having a fairly high metabolism(don't know how much I burn, however). I usually have cereal, tea and a sandwich in the morning, the rest of the day is abit unpredictable for the most part.

Written By: FaultyDog on 09/01/05 at 12:56 pm

I usually have three meals a day (mainly because I'm used to).

Breakfast at about 7:00 - 7:15 (as I have to be at work at 8:00)

Lunch at 12:00 - 12:30 (lunch break at work lasts from 12:00 to 13:00)

Dinner at 18:00 (on weekdays I eat at my brother's, who has to eat at regular times - and it suits me fine).

On Saturdays however I sleep in every now and then and thus I skip breakfast ( I make it a habit to not have breakfast later than 10:00).
On Saturdays and Sundays dinnertime may vary from 18:00 to as late as 19:30 (never later than 20:00 however - I like to stick to my habits).

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 09/01/05 at 1:02 pm

When I'm at work I eat breakfast at 7 am
A sandwich, handful of cherry tomatoes and a yoghurt at 11am
A handful of mixed nuts and seeds at 1.30pm
Fruit at 3.30pm
and finally my dinner at about 7.30pm

At the weekend I eat wheneverand whatever really !

Is it just me or do you always find you are really hungry on a sunday and eat loads???

I have noticed that on weekends my eating habits are more sporadic and I am binging more - like overloading on Reeses cups, cookie dough, pizza and all that other fantastic stuff! And, I don't have as good a schedule as I would during the weekdays when I'm working and schooling.

Written By: jackas on 09/01/05 at 1:27 pm

I eat terribly.  Usually 1-2 meals a day, but never the same schedule.  Sometimes it's breakfast and lunch other times it lunch and dinner or maybe it's just lunch.  The rest of the day is spent shoveling junk food into my mouth.  I don't eat very healthy. :-\\

Written By: Howard on 09/01/05 at 3:28 pm

I try to eat 3 meals a day Breakfast,Lunch & Dinner.

Written By: Gis on 09/02/05 at 1:44 am

I have noticed that on weekends my eating habits are more sporadic and I am binging more - like overloading on Reeses cups, cookie dough, pizza and all that other fantastic stuff! And, I don't have as good a schedule as I would during the weekdays when I'm working and schooling.
I'm the same ! I eat loads more at the weekend and it's usually rubbish.I eat fruit when I'm at work but very rarely when I'm at home.I try to be healthy in the week so when it goes terribly wrong at the weekend I don't feel quite so bad. ::)

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 09/02/05 at 2:36 am

I'm the same ! I eat loads more at the weekend and it's usually rubbish.I eat fruit when I'm at work but very rarely when I'm at home.I try to be healthy in the week so when it goes terribly wrong at the weekend I don't feel quite so bad. ::)

lol, yeah, I think we let it go on the weekends because we are soo good during the week that we just wanna be bad and give into our cravings. The weekend is like our let loose time. Just veg and discard our diets, schedules and relax - for once! :0)

Written By: Bobby on 09/02/05 at 6:20 am

What eating habits, lol? The only scheduled time I eat is lunchtime at work (next week will be 1:20am - no that is not a typo 'am').  ;D

Everything else is when I can at the moment.

Written By: karen on 09/02/05 at 6:22 am

Bobby

Perhaps you just need to switch your whole day around.  Work out how your old daytime routine fits inwith your new times and work out a timetable for meals bedtime etc moving the whole routine to your new times.  I'm sure it will help your body settle better.  Kind of like flying to a new time zone.

Written By: Bobby on 09/02/05 at 6:34 am

Bobby

Perhaps you just need to switch your whole day around.  Work out how your old daytime routine fits inwith your new times and work out a timetable for meals bedtime etc moving the whole routine to your new times.  I'm sure it will help your body settle better.  Kind of like flying to a new time zone.

Yeah, I understand you there, Karen. Since starting nightshifts, it's been like 24/7 jet lag and am trying to eat breakfast when I wake up at 8:30 at night and maybe have my 'dinner' around the allotted time at work and then have something light before I go to bed around 7:00 in the morning for 'tea'.

I may have to shift that schedule around even further if I decide to sleep during the mornings. At the moment, everything I am trying to do to gain some normal sleep pattern is failing at the moment.  :-\\

Written By: gemini on 09/02/05 at 12:51 pm

I eat terribly.  Usually 1-2 meals a day, but never the same schedule.  Sometimes it's breakfast and lunch other times it lunch and dinner or maybe it's just lunch.  The rest of the day is spent shoveling junk food into my mouth.  I don't eat very healthy. :-\\

Thank god I'm not the only one! I eat whenever I'm hungry, even when I'm not! I do cook dinner for the family but don't really eat much of it.  :-\\

Written By: Apricot on 09/02/05 at 2:35 pm

Personally, i like home cooked meals. Burritos, Lasagne, Pork Chops, Chicken breast etc, but we tend to eat out a lot so i usually have a salad and maybe a sandwhich or something.

My dad likes home-cooked.. my mom and I are big on eating out.. we don't like home-cooked as much.. although occasionally, nothing beats a good hot, home-made meal.. although so often, we're just eating crap out of a can, box, or bag, so.. it's not really "home-cooked".. just heated up at the house.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 09/02/05 at 4:56 pm

I always feel proud of myself when I actually make a home-cooked dinner from scratch and it actually turns out good! LOL!

Erin :)

Written By: rich1981 on 09/02/05 at 10:04 pm

My weekday eating habits:

In the morning I usually eat cereal or oatmeal for breakfast and my cup of coffee, for lunch I always bring lunch to work and it would often consist of a ham sandwich, carrots or celery sticks and yogurt. For dinner it is more often than not brought from a restaurant and it would often be something like baked chicken with rice and beans.

My weekend eating habits:

I often eat two meals a day here, where the first meal is really a brunch (breakfast + lunch) and the second is dinner. In both these cases it's usually at a restaurant.

Recently I haven't been counting calories as accurately as I have in the past, due to discouraging results from trying to lose weight in the past couple of months but in all this time I haven't gained weight either.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/04/05 at 7:36 am

You ask politely and the salt is still passed rough-handedly?

Written By: Dominic L. on 09/04/05 at 11:56 pm

Are you a complete vegetarian??  I'm not a vegetarian, but I don't eat much meat.  Not for any animal rights reasons or anything, I just don't like the taste of meat.  I'll eat cold cuts though, or things like pepperoni on pizza, or ground beef in spaghetti sauce, etc.  But I will rarely eat anything like steak, ribs, etc.  I do eat hamburgers.. but they have to be good hamburgers, not like McDonalds.  Bakers Square makes good burgers. :)

A little late for me to reply to this quote, but that's exactly like me.

I hate the taste of steaks and pork chops and ribs, and the such.

Written By: Howard on 09/07/05 at 5:05 pm

I eat when I want but the problem is I eat way too much just like I did on my trip to Niskayuna. ;D

Written By: Alchoholica on 09/08/05 at 3:18 pm

It must be a "man" thing because hubby would prefer that I cook every night as well...

Not the case. I've always prefered to go out. Granted, nowadays it's a case of cooking for myself, but even when i was living with my Mum, i would still prefer to go out.. and she's a good cook.

Same with My Uncle, he'd prefers to go out.. thus.. we go out to eat a lot  ;D

Written By: Howard on 09/08/05 at 3:55 pm

I eat the whole thing that's whatever's on my plate. ;D

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 09/08/05 at 4:09 pm

I don't have very good eating habits. Sometimes I get preoccupied with things and forget alltogether.

Beth

Written By: jackas on 09/08/05 at 8:24 pm

I don't have very good eating habits. Sometimes I get preoccupied with things and forget alltogether.

Beth

I did this all the time when I worked.

Written By: tv on 09/10/05 at 1:31 am

Well for me I eat breakfast 12:00 in the afternoon. I have a cup of hot tea, 2 english muffins or 2 pieces of toast or 1 bagel, 1 glass of OJ and a little bowl of raisin bran every morning.

Lunch(monday, wednesday, thursday 4:30 pm. usually a ham& swiss sandwich, hawiann punch,  and 1 apple. Tuesaday & Friday: 2 slices of pizza.

Dinner: Monday wednesday, Thursday: 8:30 pm Chef Salad w/blue cheese dresssing, a can of either ice tea or pepsi and 1 hard roll.
Tueday & Friday 3:50: Roast beef sub with lettuce tomatoes, onions, oil & vinegar.

Saturday's:

Breakfast: same as weekdays 12:00 pm.

Lunch4:30-5:30 Pm: same as Monday, Wednesday, or Friday or maybe I;ll just have 2 pretzels: the kind of pretzels you toast in the toaster oven.

Dinner: sometimes I'll go out for dinner on Saturday Nights or whatever my Mom has left over from dinner during the week I'll eat.

Sunday's:

Breakfast 12:00: Same as weekdays

Lunch: 4:30-4:45 Buffalo wings or if I am going to the park or Jersey shore I'll pack the HP drink, Ham & Swiss sandwich and apple in a cooler so everything will stay cold.

Dinner: 8:45 Usually my Mom cooks dinner on that day so I eat what she cooks.

If I go to my Aunts house or she comes down on a Saturday or Sunday to have dinner with me I usually just skip lunch all together.

Written By: tv on 09/10/05 at 1:40 am

I meant at 3:50 pm for the 2 slices of pizza and 8:30 pm for the roast beef sandwich.

Written By: Jessica on 09/10/05 at 1:51 am

Ever since I came down with this stupid cold/strep throat, I haven't been eating very well. I'll usually just eat a bowl of cereal in the morning and then eat dinner at about 6pm. That's about it, which sucks because I love food and I just can't tolerate it that much anymore. :-\\

Hopefully camping will revive my appetite because I make hella good food when we're out. Maybe it's the clean air. :P

Written By: mandamoo on 09/10/05 at 2:02 am

Breakfast, lunch and dinner weekdays....brunch and dinner, weekends. I rarely eat between meals :)

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 09/10/05 at 2:45 am

Well for me I eat breakfast 12:00 in the afternoon. I have a cup of hot tea, 2 english muffins or 2 pieces of toast or 1 bagel, 1 glass of OJ and a little bowl of raisin bran every morning.

Lunch(monday, wednesday, thursday 4:30 pm. usually a ham& swiss sandwich, hawiann punch,  and 1 apple. Tuesaday & Friday: 2 slices of pizza.

Dinner: Monday wednesday, Thursday: 8:30 pm Chef Salad w/blue cheese dresssing, a can of either ice tea or pepsi and 1 hard roll.
Tueday & Friday 3:50: Roast beef sub with lettuce tomatoes, onions, oil & vinegar.

Saturday's:

Breakfast: same as weekdays 12:00 pm.

Lunch4:30-5:30 Pm: same as Monday, Wednesday, or Friday or maybe I;ll just have 2 pretzels: the kind of pretzels you toast in the toaster oven.

Dinner: sometimes I'll go out for dinner on Saturday Nights or whatever my Mom has left over from dinner during the week I'll eat.

Sunday's:

Breakfast 12:00: Same as weekdays

Lunch: 4:30-4:45 Buffalo wings or if I am going to the park or Jersey shore I'll pack the HP drink, Ham & Swiss sandwich and apple in a cooler so everything will stay cold.

Dinner: 8:45 Usually my Mom cooks dinner on that day so I eat what she cooks.

If I go to my Aunts house or she comes down on a Saturday or Sunday to have dinner with me I usually just skip lunch all together.

Now that's well planned out.  :o

Written By: Howard on 09/10/05 at 6:32 pm

My morning breakfast includes cereal every single day including the weekends and holidays.I don't have time to cook eggs bacon and sausages like I used to anymore.I want something quick and fast and then I leave the dining room kitchen after.

Written By: whitewolf on 09/10/05 at 6:37 pm

I didn't eat for 2 and a half days, went out for supper today and had a 6-inch pizza

Written By: Howard on 09/10/05 at 6:48 pm

I didn't eat for 2 and a half days, went out for supper today and had a 6-inch pizza

You must've been pretty hungry Whitewolf :o

Written By: whitewolf on 09/10/05 at 6:48 pm

You must've been pretty hungry Whitewolf :o

nope couldn't finish the pizza- a 6-inch pizza is only a personal size one

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 09/10/05 at 8:19 pm

Hey, whitewolf, I hope you can handle not eating that long.. I bet you were starving!

Written By: whitewolf on 09/10/05 at 8:21 pm

Hey, whitewolf, I hope you can handle not eating that long.. I bet you were starving!

honestly sometimes, I feel like i am starving but others times i can go days without eating and not even want anything.

Written By: Alchoholica on 09/10/05 at 11:50 pm

I went out for dinner at about 6:30.. at 10 i forgot i had eaten so i made a pizza  ;D

Oh well, i know what i'll be eating for breakfast

Written By: Dominic L. on 09/10/05 at 11:53 pm

I went out for dinner at about 6:30.. at 10 i forgot i had eaten so i made a pizza  ;D

Oh well, i know what i'll be eating for breakfast

yum

Written By: whistledog on 09/10/05 at 11:53 pm

Between meals, I snack on more meals  ;D

Written By: Dominic L. on 09/11/05 at 12:17 am

Between meals, I snack on more meals  ;D

that would mean that you have to snack on even more meals, and more... and more... AND MORE! It never ends! You just eat forever!

Written By: whistledog on 09/11/05 at 12:31 am

that would mean that you have to snack on even more meals, and more... and more... AND MORE! It never ends! You just eat forever!

Nah, I don't eat forever.  In between eating, there's also drinking  ;D

Written By: Barefoot_Blues on 09/24/05 at 11:36 am

I barely eat breakfast. I do eat lunch and dinner though. But around 4 p.m. I get the most incredible munchies ever...

Written By: Howard on 09/24/05 at 5:58 pm

If I eat a big meal then I won't eat till much later cause I feel full after. :P

Check for new replies or respond here...