inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Anyone Read a good book lately - old or new - or a favorite?

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 09/02/05 at 3:25 pm

I have a huge library full books at home. It's ever increasing, but there are always some that I often return to and they find their way back to my bedroom in stacks. I love my room though, because it feels so homey with all those books stacked up high. I feel like one of those old professors at Oxford or something..

Well, I just thought it would be interesting if anyone had a favorite book, or one that they were currently reading and wanted to share what they thought about it.. It can be anything, fiction or non-fiction.

Enjoy!

Subject: Re: Anyone Read a good book lately - old or new - or a favorite?

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 09/02/05 at 5:03 pm

I just read Mary Higgins Clark's new book, "No Place Like Home"....it was pretty good.

I am also in the middle of reading, "Trace"....a new book by Patricia Cornwell.

Erin :)

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 09/02/05 at 6:26 pm

I just got done reading Colossus Of New York: A city In 13 Parts by: Colson Whitheead, for the 2nd time. His depiction of New York was so vivid--right down to the littlest detail. It was an awesome book.

Here are two of my favorite excerpts from the book:

"...The Famous photographer prowls here for the real-life stuff with his camera as a victims enact. Years from now she will see her photograph in a gallery and wonder why she was crying..."

"..I never got a chance to say good-bye to some of my old buildings. Some I lived in, others were part of a skyline I thought would always be there. And they never got a chance to say good-bye to me. I think they would have like to--I refuse to believe in their indifference. You say you know these streets pretty well? The city knows you better than any living person because it has seen you when you are alone..."

Beth

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 09/02/05 at 6:34 pm

I just got done reading Colossus Of New York: A city In 13 Parts by: Colson Whitheead, for the 2nd time. His depiction of New York was so vivid--right down to the littlest detail. It was an awesome book.

Here are two of my favorite excerpts from the book:

"...The Famous photographer prowls here for the real-life stuff with his camera as a victims enact. Years from now she will see her photograph in a gallery and wonder why she was crying..."

"..I never got a chance to say good-bye to some of my old buildings. Some I lived in, others were part of a skyline I thought would always be there. And they never got a chance to say good-bye to me. I think they would have like to--I refuse to believe in their indifference. You say you know these streets pretty well? The city knows you better than any living person because it has seen you when you are alone..."

Beth

Those are great quotes, Beth. That sounds like a really good book! Just my style!  ;D

Written By: Billy Florio on 09/02/05 at 6:42 pm

I just finished Woody Allen's Without Feathers

now Im reading Allen's Getting Even

Written By: Marty McFly on 09/02/05 at 6:52 pm

I sometimes buy books from Goodwill and Thrift stores - haven't bought any new ones lately, but I recently re-read Stephen King's Pet Cemetary.

Not a good idea to do it at night, LOL! Luckily I'm used to it though! ;)

PS: When I saw the title of this thread, I couldn't help but think of the Full House ep where Jesse goes back to night school with his old English teacher, who'se catchphrase was "Read any good books lately?" ;D

Written By: DeutscherGirl on 09/02/05 at 7:32 pm

Right now I'm in the middle of reading Valley of the Dolls. Really good book!

Baby

Written By: jaytee on 09/03/05 at 9:42 am

I've just finished reading "Vanishing Act" by Jodi Picoult.  Good read.  :)

Written By: Dominic L. on 09/03/05 at 9:52 am

I'm reading the Salmon of Doubt by Douglas Adams (You know, The Hitchiker's Guide to the Galax?). It's a collection of short stories and articles and letters that were on his Apple computer after he died... it's a funny, entertaining book!

Written By: Dagwood on 09/03/05 at 11:16 pm

My all time favorite book would have to be The Stand by Stephen King. 

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 09/06/05 at 1:52 pm

Probably one of the best books I've ever read is by Charlotte Bronte titled "Villette" It's a hard read (being that a good portion of it is in French), but it's worth it in the end.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 09/06/05 at 1:59 pm

I've started rereading A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle a few times lately, but I keep getting interrupted :P

I have never read "A Wrinkle In Time" although I know for many kids I knew in public school, it was a required reading. My class never read it. I think we read "Where the Red Fern Grows"

How is it, by the way?

Written By: Alchoholica on 09/06/05 at 2:03 pm

I'm reading the Salmon of Doubt by Douglas Adams (You know, The Hitchiker's Guide to the Galax?). It's a collection of short stories and articles and letters that were on his Apple computer after he died... it's a funny, entertaining book!

I just finished that, i thought it was marvelous.

I have Hundreds of books.. The attic at my parents house has several bookshelves full of my books. I tend to go to Charity shops and buy a dozen or so books at a time. People also give me one's they're read because they know i'll want to have a look at them.

I'm reading 'Why Not Me?' By Al Franken, a satyrical look at the Campaign for the Presidency.

I'm also reading 'The SS - Alibi of a Nation 1922~1945' by Gerald Reitlinger.
As the title suggest's it's all about the SS in Nazi Germany, as told from several different perspectives.

My bathroom book is currently Ted Williams Autobiography.

Written By: Alchoholica on 09/24/05 at 12:55 am

Well, i got through those books and am currently reading..

'A Narrative History of America' kinda dry but full of interesting stuff.

and..

'The Historian'.. ok.. this book is creepy.

Great book, creepy as hell http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0316011770/103-8844303-6459032?v=glance

Written By: jackas on 09/24/05 at 1:52 am

Must be nice to be able to read. :( 

Wait.....I guess I could read if I wasn't here all night. :-\\

Written By: Jessica on 09/24/05 at 3:14 am

I just started reading "Wicked" by Gregory Maguire. Usually I don't read the overhyped books, but I read the first chapter in the store and thought it was great. So I coughed up the money and bought it. :)

Written By: loki 13 on 09/24/05 at 10:41 am

I have just finished "in Defense of Internment" by Michele Malkin
and I am now reading "The Inferno" by Dante Alighieri

Written By: Dominic L. on 09/24/05 at 11:50 am

Well, i got through those books and am currently reading..

'A Narrative History of America' kinda dry but full of interesting stuff.

and..

'The Historian'.. ok.. this book is creepy.

Great book, creepy as hell http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0316011770/103-8844303-6459032?v=glance

I don't read that often, but if I had access to so many books as that, I would probably read more!

one thing that bugs me is if I read, my eyes water ... A LOT

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 09/25/05 at 4:00 pm

I'd Like to work on some of Grisham's novels. Most of his films are great, so I would expect the books to be better. :0)

Written By: danootaandme on 09/25/05 at 4:16 pm

Disordered Minds by Minette Walters and it was real good  :)

Written By: danootaandme on 09/25/05 at 4:19 pm

If you are looking for suggestions some of my favorites that I read and still love are

Seabisquit
Devil in the White City
Lavengro
Romany Rye
How Green Was My Valley
Memoirs of A Geisha
Mists of Avalon

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 09/26/05 at 10:38 am

Currently reading 'Evil Spirits' an Autobiograpy of OLIVER REED one of the sexiest most gorgeous actors to walk the face of the Earth!!    ;D

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 09/30/05 at 1:05 am

I just finished reading "The Screwtape Letters" for the second time. Highly recommended book.

Beth

Written By: karen on 09/30/05 at 5:37 am

I'm currently flicking through random bits of Jingo by Terry Pratchett.  I've read the book a couple of times so I just read from where it opens.  Likewise Fen by Freya North which is a nice girly book.

Written By: TC1970 on 09/30/05 at 6:35 am

I have been reading Brenda Joyce's deadly series... romance/mystery. ;)

Written By: 80s gail on 09/30/05 at 1:34 pm

Always have a book to read, at the moment it's Bernard Cornwell's the last kingdom.

Written By: Alchoholica on 09/30/05 at 1:56 pm

I'm reading an excellent book entitled.. 'The Friendly Guide to the Universe' by Nancy Hathaway. It's very similar to Bill Brysons scientific book, explaining.. well, everything.. this one focuses on Space, Physics etc. It's in between a text book and a 'For Dummies' book. Good reading, presented in a humerous fashion. I need to find a good novel as well to get in to.

Written By: 80sfan on 10/23/15 at 9:04 pm

I'm reading Brave New World by Aldous Huxley.

Written By: violet_shy on 10/24/15 at 10:00 am

I would say my favorite book to read is "Sphinx" by Robin Cook. It's an old novel. If no one's read it yet please do you will not regret it!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/24/15 at 11:06 am

I LOVE audiobooks and listen frequently. Right now we are listening to Angels & Demons by Dan Brown.

Some of the books we listened to:
-All of John Grisham-loved most of them (a few I didn't care for).
-Some of Stephan King's (still have a bunch we have yet to listen to)
-The Mists of Avalon (loved it)
And the all time favorite (which I'm sure if anyone knows me can guess)...

HARRY POTTER!!!! (Read by Stephan Fry-when he was reading Hagrid, he sounded EXACTLY like Robbie Coltrane.)

Cat

Written By: karen on 10/26/15 at 5:04 am

I've just finished re-reading the Hitch-hikers Guide to the Galaxy series

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/26/15 at 12:16 pm

I've just finished re-reading the Hitch-hikers Guide to the Galaxy series

I started reading that several years ago and just couldn't get into it. Don't know why.

Cat

Written By: karen on 10/27/15 at 4:05 am

I started reading that several years ago and just couldn't get into it. Don't know why.

Cat

I'm sure its not everyone's cup of tea.  In particular the sense of humour is quite 'British' and a little nerdy. 

Written By: 80sfan on 10/28/15 at 3:06 am

Brave New World is crazy book but good.

It's pretty much a society where everyone is the same and taking pills, Soma. There's some racism in the novel, it was released in 1932 after all.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/28/15 at 10:37 am

It's pretty much a society where everyone is the same and taking pills, Soma. There's some racism in the novel, it was released in 1932 after all.

I recommend 1984 by George Orwell. It was written a little later (1949) but it sounds very much like what is going on today.

Cat

Written By: 80sfan on 10/28/15 at 11:14 am

I recommend 1984 by George Orwell. It was written a little later (1949) but it sounds very much like what is going on today.

Cat

Yeah, seems to be a very popular book (1984, that is). I wonder if people in 1983 was counting down to it like Y2K.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/28/15 at 12:26 pm

Yeah, seems to be a very popular book (1984, that is). I wonder if people in 1983 was counting down to it like Y2K.

Sort of-but not quite.

Cat

Written By: nally on 10/28/15 at 11:51 pm

I read that book in my senior year of high school! :)

I even did a little "project" on it for the class.

Written By: 80sfan on 10/29/15 at 1:54 am

I read that book in my senior year of high school! :)

I even did a little "project" on it for the class.

It's a wild book, eh? Don't tell me the ending, I have 50 pages left.

Written By: 80sfan on 11/03/15 at 4:23 pm

Yeah, I'm done with my book, Brave New World. Wild book! I like it, I give it a B for a grade. Definitely not a perfect book but entertaining.

Written By: 80sfan on 11/04/15 at 7:54 pm

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory right now!  :)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/05/15 at 10:08 am

Listening to "The Body" by Stephen King. Most people know the story but not by that name. It was turned into a movie by the name of Stand By Me.

Cat

Written By: 80sfan on 11/05/15 at 6:59 pm

Listening to "The Body" by Stephen King. Most people know the story but not by that name. It was turned into a movie by the name of Stand By Me.

Cat

Yeah, it's amazing. That Stephen King is.  :)

Written By: 80sfan on 11/12/15 at 10:59 pm

10 more pages then I'm done with Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. So far I love it.

Written By: karen on 11/13/15 at 11:53 am

reading Brokeback Mountain and other stories (or whatever the exact title is)

Lots of short stories.  I bought the book second hand at a village fete and didn't realise it had been someone's set text for Eng Lit.  It has been annotated throughout and I have to work hard not to read these notes as they sometimes give away bits of the plot (e.g. "foreshadowing of the accident")

Written By: 80sfan on 11/13/15 at 12:27 pm

Okay, I give Charlie and the Chocolate Factory novel an B+. Really, really, good book!  :)  :D

Written By: 80sfan on 11/14/15 at 2:16 pm

Dean Koontz here we go!  :D

Written By: apollonia1986 on 11/14/15 at 3:48 pm

I've been reading "Gone With the Wind" off and on all year. Margaret Mitchell had such an eloquent manner of describing scenes I look to her work to inspire me I've read it 6 times already. My paperback fell apart so I got a version DL-on my laptop.  :D

Written By: karen on 11/20/15 at 1:16 am

Okay, I give Charlie and the Chocolate Factory novel an B+. Really, really, good book!  :)  :D

Since you've read the book more recently than I have perhaps you might recall it better than I can.

There was a programme on tv last night following various five year old children at play.  One of them said to another

"My dear old fish.  Go and boil your head"

I'm fairly sure Willie Wonka says this to one of the mothers but do you remember this at all?

Written By: danootaandme on 11/23/15 at 3:06 pm

I do a bit of driving so I now do books on CD instead of the radio.  The Given Day and the Heretics Daughter are two books I tried to read but couldn't get through, but were absolutely fantastic on CD. 

Written By: 80sfan on 11/23/15 at 3:47 pm

Since you've read the book more recently than I have perhaps you might recall it better than I can.

There was a programme on tv last night following various five year old children at play.  One of them said to another

"My dear old fish.  Go and boil your head"

I'm fairly sure Willie Wonka says this to one of the mothers but do you remember this at all?

Sorry, I did not remember it until I Googled it. Your memory is right, it's in the book! Funny line!  :D  :D

Willy Wonka is slick as hell.  :o

Written By: 80sfan on 11/23/15 at 3:51 pm

It feels to me that Charlie is the most pure of heart person in the whole book, with Grandpa Joe in second place.

Written By: Indy Gent on 11/28/15 at 2:32 pm

It feels to me that Charlie is the most pure of heart person in the whole book, with Grandpa Joe in second place.

There is recent anti-Grandpa Joe backlash from pundits who believe Charlie should have taken his mother instead because she was the parent and Joe was a selfish old man. I don't see any from the film.

Written By: 80sfan on 11/28/15 at 6:15 pm

There is recent anti-Grandpa Joe backlash from pundits who believe Charlie should have taken his mother instead because she was the parent and Joe was a selfish old man. I don't see any from the film.

Never heard of that point of view, but nice.

I liked Charlie. It's rare to see a kid that wasn't too into himself, but this is only one book, and we don't always know all the details.
I also liked Mike Teavee. I'm kind of like him, but except for too much TV, I go on the internet too much.
I also liked Grandpa Joe.

I was expecting to hate Veruca Salt, but I didn't. She just didn't bother me as much as I thought she would. I probably would run for the hills though, because I wouldn't want to babysit her.  ;D I didn't really like her either though, so there's that.

Overall, I didn't really hate anyone in this book. I'd say the closest to me hating a character were Veruca's parents and Violet Beauregarde's parents. And sometimes I didn't trust Willy Wonka. But I'm not sure you're supposed to.  ;)

Written By: 80sfan on 12/02/15 at 10:53 pm

From the corner of his eye, by Dean Koontz.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/03/15 at 11:25 am

Never heard of that point of view, but nice.

I liked Charlie. It's rare to see a kid that wasn't too into himself, but this is only one book, and we don't always know all the details.
I also liked Mike Teavee. I'm kind of like him, but except for too much TV, I go on the internet too much.
I also liked Grandpa Joe.

I was expecting to hate Veruca Salt, but I didn't. She just didn't bother me as much as I thought she would. I probably would run for the hills though, because I wouldn't want to babysit her.  ;D I didn't really like her either though, so there's that.

Overall, I didn't really hate anyone in this book. I'd say the closest to me hating a character were Veruca's parents and Violet Beauregarde's parents. And sometimes I didn't trust Willy Wonka. But I'm not sure you're supposed to.  ;)

There is a sequel called Willy Wonka & The Great Glass Elevator. We started listening to it on audiobook but just couldn't get through it. Not as good as the original.

Cat

Written By: 80sfan on 12/03/15 at 12:11 pm

There is a sequel called Willy Wonka & The Great Glass Elevator. We started listening to it on audiobook but just couldn't get through it. Not as good as the original.

Cat

Aaaahh, sequels. Don't you just love them?  ;D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/03/15 at 12:58 pm

Aaaahh, sequels. Don't you just love them?  ;D

Well, I hope that someone loves mine-when I write it. lol.

Cat

Written By: 80sfan on 12/12/15 at 8:13 pm

This Dean Koontz book I'm reading is long as hell. It's 622 pages. I'm on page 523, so exactly 100 more pages.
I'm reading three more books after this Koontz novel, then I'm going to shoot forward with my 'Hollywood Star' novel writing like a madman. Like a madman, I tell ya!!  :D  :D  :D

Written By: danootaandme on 12/15/15 at 8:14 pm

My CD book of the month is "The Hemings of Monticello". It is an in depth study of the lives of the Hemings family who were enslaved by Tthomas Jefferson, including the slave by whom he had several children,  fascinating.

Written By: 80sfan on 12/17/15 at 4:41 pm

Well I'm done with Dean Koontz. 622 long pages. Past 400 is gargantuan to me.  :-X

From The Corner of His Eye gets an A- from me. For atheists and agnostics the book may be too 'spiritual' or preachy. I would have given it an A, but I'm being picky, eh.

Written By: karen on 12/18/15 at 1:35 am

Currently dipping into Alex's Adventures in Numberland by Alex Bellos.  A great book for any interested in maths puzzles and numbers

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/18/15 at 4:28 am

Currently dipping into Alex's Adventures in Numberland by Alex Bellos.  A great book for any interested in maths puzzles and numbers
That was my holiday reading book on our US trip a few years ago. I found it fascinating, and look forward to reading his next book "Alex Through the Looking-Glass" on my next holiday.

Written By: karen on 12/18/15 at 8:20 am

That was my holiday reading book on our US trip a few years ago. I found it fascinating, and look forward to reading his next book "Alex Through the Looking-Glass" on my next holiday.

We got it out of the library for Elizabeth to read around the subjects she is studying.  She is currently reading Why Does E = mc2

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/18/15 at 8:22 am

We got it out of the library for Elizabeth to read around the subjects she is studying.  She is currently reading Why Does E = mc2
My copy as a paperback was given to a nephew of mine to further his maths.

Written By: 80sfan on 12/20/15 at 12:43 am

I'm starting a book called Say You're Sorry, by Michael Robotham.

Written By: 80sfan on 12/21/15 at 2:52 am

I'm starting a book called Say You're Sorry, by Michael Robotham.

Blech! This book is horrible! I'm getting another book. The author writes like a 7 year old. No depth, no emotion, and I lost like 20 IQ points after reading a chapter!  8-P

Written By: 80sfan on 12/29/15 at 9:43 am

I switched to Revival by Stephen King.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/29/15 at 11:44 am

I switched to Revival by Stephen King.

The Stephen King non-scary audiobooks that we listened to that both of us liked were The Body, The Shawshank Redemption, Joyland, & The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon. The Colorado Kid was ok but we both were disappointed in the ending.

Cat

Written By: 80sfan on 12/29/15 at 12:35 pm

The Stephen King non-scary audiobooks that we listened to that both of us liked were The Body, The Shawshank Redemption, Joyland, & The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon. The Colorado Kid was ok but we both were disappointed in the ending.

Cat

The previous book I read was just um...not so good!  :-X

Written By: 2001 on 01/07/16 at 4:25 pm

I decided to try to read/listen to 50 books again this year. I even wrote a Python script to keep me on track!

http://i.imgur.com/pgalL1i.png

Written By: 80sfan on 01/07/16 at 11:49 pm

I decided to try to read/listen to 50 books again this year. I even wrote a Python script to keep me on track!

http://i.imgur.com/pgalL1i.png

Setting goals is good.  :)

Written By: 80sfan on 01/15/16 at 9:14 pm

I'm on page 270 on Revival. Amazing book! I can't put it down!

Written By: 2001 on 01/16/16 at 6:56 pm

I'm on page 270 on Revival. Amazing book! I can't put it down!

Will be picking this up. Haven't been absorbed into a book since I read Angela's Ashes a few months ago.

Written By: 80sfan on 01/20/16 at 12:05 am

Will be picking this up. Haven't been absorbed into a book since I read Angela's Ashes a few months ago.

Revival is my first Stephen King book ever. I gave into his popularity. Just kidding.

Written By: 80sfan on 01/20/16 at 12:09 am

I'm on page 304.

Written By: 2001 on 01/20/16 at 9:41 pm

I'm on page 304.

Nice. Enjoying it so far?

Written By: 80sfan on 01/20/16 at 9:48 pm

Nice. Enjoying it so far?

Yeah, very much!

Written By: 80sfan on 01/24/16 at 10:03 am

I only have 30 pages left. Hopefully the ending won't disappoint. Like a movie that was good until the last fifteen minutes.

Written By: 80sfan on 01/26/16 at 2:20 pm

Sounds like Stephen King is asking, "Does God exist?" in this novel, sounds like since he's getting older, he's asking himself the big questions.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/26/16 at 2:22 pm

I only have 30 pages left. Hopefully the ending won't disappoint. Like a movie that was good until the last fifteen minutes.
Sometimes,an author may just do not know how to end a book?

Written By: 80sfan on 01/26/16 at 2:32 pm

Sometimes,an author may just do not know how to end a book?

Yup, that does happen. I haven't finished the book though.

Written By: danootaandme on 01/31/16 at 6:24 pm

Woman in the Dunes - Kobo Abe

Written By: 80sfan on 02/01/16 at 8:58 pm

I give the Revival book by Stephen King an A.

A  B+ if I want to be a snob.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 02/03/16 at 9:29 pm

Rereading Monty Python and Philosophy. :)

Written By: 80sfan on 02/05/16 at 9:03 pm

I'm reading some Dean Koontz book, LOL.

Written By: 80sfan on 02/18/16 at 11:18 pm

The Dean Koontz novel is amazing!!

Written By: 80sfan on 03/05/16 at 2:47 pm

I'm 277 pages in, it's 442 pages. Actually gave the shivers before bed reading Koontz's What The Night Knows.

Written By: 80sfan on 03/27/16 at 4:36 pm

Dean Koontz rocks! I've only 40 pages left.  :D

Written By: danootaandme on 03/28/16 at 11:50 am

Caveat Emptor - Ken Perenyi

A master art forger tells about the world of forgery. 

Written By: karen on 03/29/16 at 6:36 am

I've just finished reading The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo - Stieg Larsson again.

Someone has published a fourth book in the series and so I am re-reading the others first.

Written By: 80sfan on 04/01/16 at 5:12 pm

What Stephen King novel should I read? It's for my next book I'm reading.

Please, no spoilers!!

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/02/16 at 3:46 am

Please, no spoilers!!
Needful Things, it a great book, if not, one of his earlier books.

Written By: danootaandme on 04/07/16 at 1:30 am

Please, no spoilers!!

The Green Mile

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/07/16 at 9:38 am

Please, no spoilers!!

Joyland or The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon.

Cat

Written By: 80sfan on 04/07/16 at 9:56 am

I didn't know there were people responding to my question.  :o

If I knew, I would've read them sooner. I did come to a conclusion, I picked one of his newest books, Doctor Sleep. I'm roughly 59 pages in. It's really good so far.

Thanks for the suggestions though.  8)

Written By: 80sfan on 04/07/16 at 9:56 am

Yes, I've heard of this book before. The title sounds like a book of poems.

Written By: 80sfan on 04/07/16 at 9:57 am

The Green Mile

I was shocked when I found out he wrote this book, I found out ten years ago. Nice that he experimented with something besides horror.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/07/16 at 9:58 am

I didn't know there were people responding to my question.  :o

If I knew, I would've read them sooner. I did come to a conclusion, I picked one of his newest books, Doctor Sleep. I'm roughly 59 pages in. It's really good so far.

Thanks for the suggestions though.  8)
Is that the sequel to The Shining?

Written By: 80sfan on 04/07/16 at 9:58 am

Joyland or The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon.

Cat

I tried The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon, I couldn't finish it. Joyland, on the other hand, does sound really nice!  :)

Written By: 80sfan on 04/07/16 at 9:58 am

Is that the sequel to The Shining?

Yup!  :D

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/07/16 at 10:04 am

Yup!  :D
It was to be a holiday reading book for me last year, but I did not want to carry the hardback around with me.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/07/16 at 10:05 am

Yes, I've heard of this book before. The title sounds like a book of poems.
Avoid the film, it did not live up to the book.

Written By: 80sfan on 04/07/16 at 12:07 pm

It was to be a holiday reading book for me last year, but I did not want to carry the hardback around with me.

Doctor Sleep is like 500 pages. Yeah, it's big and thick.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/07/16 at 12:09 pm

Doctor Sleep is like 500 pages. Yeah, it's big and thick.
I should check out my local library to see if it on the shelf.

Written By: 80sfan on 04/12/16 at 11:42 am

I'm on page 331, the novel is amazing! Psychics and eating 'mists' and all. Stephen King is disturbing and I like it!  8)

Written By: danootaandme on 04/13/16 at 5:32 pm

The Japanese Lover - Isabella Allende

Written By: Starlighter on 05/12/16 at 6:45 pm

Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet by Jamie Ford

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/12/16 at 7:49 pm

The Japanese Lover - Isabella Allende

Read a couple of her books. That one I haven't.

Cat

Written By: danootaandme on 05/12/16 at 8:30 pm

Civil War Wives

Stories of Angelina Grimké, Varina Howell Davis, and Julia Dent Grant

Angelina is a personal heroine of mine.

Written By: 80sfan on 05/13/16 at 8:34 pm

Civil War Wives

Stories of Angelina Grimké, Varina Howell Davis, and Julia Dent Grant

Angelina is a personal heroine of mine.

I bet you're one of those people that read at least 40 books a year.  8)

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 05/14/16 at 6:32 am

Danubia  It's about the Hapsburgs.

Written By: 80sfan on 05/16/16 at 8:46 am

I finished Dr. Sleep by Stephen King. Not bad, I give it a B. Not as good as Revival, in my opinion. Plus, I don't have the best context to judge which book is better, I've only read his later works, and only two of his books.

Written By: 80sfan on 05/21/16 at 4:48 pm

John Grisham now. 421 fun pages.  :)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/21/16 at 6:59 pm

John Grisham now. 421 fun pages.  :)

Which one?

Cat

Written By: 80sfan on 05/21/16 at 7:12 pm

Which one?

Cat

The Firm. No spoilers, please.  :D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/21/16 at 7:33 pm

The Firm. No spoilers, please.  :D

That's a good one. I was disappointed in the movie which totally rewrote the ending-but I won't tell you either of them.

I have listened to most (if not all) his books on audio. Most are pretty good but there were a few I didn't care for-but Hubby did.

Cat

Written By: 80sfan on 05/21/16 at 8:17 pm

That's a good one. I was disappointed in the movie which totally rewrote the ending-but I won't tell you either of them.

I have listened to most (if not all) his books on audio. Most are pretty good but there were a few I didn't care for-but Hubby did.

Cat

Ooohh, that's good news. I hope The Firm is good. I usually know if I like a book, usually after about 2-3 pages. I'm going to start the novel tomorrow.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/22/16 at 10:36 am

Ooohh, that's good news. I hope The Firm is good. I usually know if I like a book, usually after about 2-3 pages. I'm going to start the novel tomorrow.

Yeah, it is good. In fact, I would say it is ranked up there with my favorites of his.

Cat

Check for new replies or respond here...