inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Mini-Meets

Written By: Mushroom on 09/12/05 at 10:18 am

I know that there are attempts to have large meetings, but has anybody tried to get smaller meetings in here going?

I know that there are at least 3 of us here in the SE, and I am sure that in areas of the country there is the possibility of smaller groups of us getting together.

How about some kind of regional meetings?  If nothing else it would be a good way to work us up to the really "big ones", and that way at least not everybody would be strangers.

I know how awkward it can be when dozens of people get together for the first time.  I attended a big IRC meeting at Niagra Falls in 1998.  With only a few exceptions, most of us had never met the others.  Good thing the alcohol let some of us loosen up.  :D

Subject: Re: Mini-Meets

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/12/05 at 10:30 am

That sounds like a good idea. I know there are some people who will find it hard to get to Vegas.

Cat

Written By: Marty McFly on 09/12/05 at 11:12 am

Good idea. I actually had considered this too.

I hope I can make it to Vegas in 1-2 years, but I can't totally promise (who knows where I'll be then, lol) - plus I might be taking a couple other trips around that time anyway.

I'd hate to pick "favorites", but I'm not that rich, so unfortunately I might have to! Vegas would be tons easier than Chicago though (where the DeLorean Car Show will be next summer).

Never thought about it loosening some of us up for the big one, but that's a good point. I'm pretty cool/nice/friendly, so I'm sure I'd get along great with everyone anyway, but still it probably would make it easier and slightly less awkward.

If there was a "mini meet" in this area, for me to be there it would probably have to be on a weekend with a couple weeks advance notice (unless of course it was for San Jose!). ;)

Written By: Bobby on 09/12/05 at 11:22 am

It's certainly an interesting idea. I am pretty loose anyway so it doesn't matter in that respect - if you pardon the expression.  ;D

Written By: karen on 09/12/05 at 11:25 am

I reckon we ought to be able to organise a British meet between us.  We might even invite the European members along!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/12/05 at 11:31 am

I reckon we ought to be able to organise a British meet between us.  We might even invite the European members along!

I would LOVE to go to that one but one big problem (and it is not $$$), I really HATE to fly.  :-\\

Cat

Written By: karen on 09/12/05 at 11:32 am

I would LOVE to go to that one but one big problem (and it is not $$$), I really HATE to fly.  :-\\

Cat

I used to and then I went on a 'flying with confidence' course at my local airport.  It was a 30th birthday present from my hubby.

I'm still not leaping with joy when I go on a plane but I can at least tolerate it.

Written By: Bobby on 09/12/05 at 11:33 am

It sounds like a good start. Yourself, Paul, Phil, FaultyDog, Maddog, Stompgal, Criz . . . there's got to be more but I forget . . .  :)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/12/05 at 11:36 am

I used to and then I went on a 'flying with confidence' course at my local airport.  It was a 30th birthday present from my hubby.

I'm still not leaping with joy when I go on a plane but I can at least tolerate it.

I have flown many, many times and each time it just seems to get worse the time before. With my SIL and FIL now living in Puerto Rico, that means we are going to be doing much more often than I want to think about.  ::)

Cat

Written By: karen on 09/12/05 at 11:38 am

It sounds like a good start. Yourself, Paul, Phil, FaultyDog, Maddog, Stompgal, Criz . . . there's got to be more but I forget . . .  :)

Taoist, Gis, Mr Tumnus and AngeliK.  Bobo if he's still around.

Suicide-Messiah if he's visiting

Written By: karen on 09/12/05 at 11:39 am

I have flown many, many times and each time it just seems to get worse the time before. With my SIL and FIL now living in Puerto Rico, that means we are going to be doing much more often than I want to think about.  ::)

Cat

The trick with the course I did was to talk about what you didn't like.  If you can work out what you don't like about it then maybe you can find a way to feel comfortable with it.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/12/05 at 11:48 am

The trick with the course I did was to talk about what you didn't like.  If you can work out what you don't like about it then maybe you can find a way to feel comfortable with it.

Music helps. The last time I flew, George Harrison got me through.  ;D  Oh yeah, and holding my husband's hand.

Cat

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 09/12/05 at 11:52 am

Cat

I would love to go to that one, too, but I have the opposite problem...I don't mind flying, but no $$ right now... :-\\

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 09/12/05 at 11:52 am

Unfortunately, I think I'm the only member who lives in Hawaii... :(

Written By: Bobby on 09/12/05 at 11:56 am

Of course.  8)

It would be well cool if Andy drops by.  8)

Written By: Bobby on 09/12/05 at 11:57 am

Unfortunately, I think I'm the only member who lives in Hawaii... :(

Come over to England. We'll make you feel like a real British person (cold and cynical ;) ;D).

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 09/12/05 at 11:59 am

Come over to England.

If only I could!!  :) :)

We'll make you feel like a real British person (cold and cynical ;) ;D).

LMAO!!  ;D

Written By: Bobby on 09/12/05 at 12:13 pm

If only I could!!  :) :)

If only you could.  8)

LMAO!!  ;D

I reckon we're all affected with S.A.D over here (Seasonal Affective Disorder). It explains a few things I can tell you that.  ;D

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 09/12/05 at 12:16 pm

I reckon we're all affected with S.A.D over here (Seasonal Affective Disorder). It explains a few things I can tell you that.  ;D

Ooookay!  ::) ;D ;)

Written By: Bobby on 09/12/05 at 12:18 pm

Ooookay!  ::) ;D ;)

Honestly, S.A.D is a condition apparently.  :)

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 09/12/05 at 12:27 pm

Honestly, S.A.D is a condition apparently.  :)

I believe you.

Written By: Bobby on 09/12/05 at 12:57 pm

I believe you.

My ex's mother suffered from it apparently. The trouble is, it's one of those illnesses that are hard to diagnose really.  :)

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 09/12/05 at 1:00 pm

My ex's mother suffered from it apparently. The trouble is, it's one of those illnesses that are hard to diagnose really.  :)

Wow, that's a shame!

Written By: Bobby on 09/12/05 at 1:01 pm

Wow, that's a shame!

Well, she never seemed to be affected too much by it.  ;) ;D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/12/05 at 1:03 pm

I think we have the same or similar condition here only we call it "Cabin Fever" which there is usually an outbreak of it around Feb. or March.

Cat

Written By: Bobby on 09/12/05 at 1:05 pm

I think we have the same or similar condition here only we call it "Cabin Fever" which there is usually an outbreak of it around Feb. or March.

Cabin fever, eh? Here is a link to describe symptoms of S.A.D.  :)

http://www.sada.org.uk/symptoms.htm

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/12/05 at 1:27 pm

Cabin fever, eh? Here is a link to describe symptoms of S.A.D.  :)

http://www.sada.org.uk/symptoms.htm

Yup-that sounds like it.

Cat

Written By: Apricot on 09/12/05 at 2:23 pm

I've been part of one.

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 09/12/05 at 2:26 pm

I've been part of one.

Woah, whatta coincidence...me too!

Beth

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 09/12/05 at 2:41 pm

I'm sure some of us would be moooore than happy to come see you in beautiful, sunny Hawaii.....say around January or February ;)

That would be nice!!  8)

Written By: nally on 09/12/05 at 2:46 pm

Good idea. I actually had considered this too.

I hope I can make it to Vegas in 1-2 years, but I can't totally promise (who knows where I'll be then, lol) - plus I might be taking a couple other trips around that time anyway.

I'd hate to pick "favorites", but I'm not that rich, so unfortunately I might have to! Vegas would be tons easier than Chicago though (where the DeLorean Car Show will be next summer).

Never thought about it loosening some of us up for the big one, but that's a good point. I'm pretty cool/nice/friendly, so I'm sure I'd get along great with everyone anyway, but still it probably would make it easier and slightly less awkward.

If there was a "mini meet" in this area, for me to be there it would probably have to be on a weekend with a couple weeks advance notice (unless of course it was for San Jose!). ;)

Well...San Jose is about 350 miles north of where I live...

Written By: Howard on 09/12/05 at 6:58 pm

But why a mini meet? ???

Written By: Apricot on 09/12/05 at 7:10 pm

But why a mini meet? ???

Cheaper, easier, less travel...

Written By: Howard on 09/12/05 at 7:47 pm

Cheaper, easier, less travel...

Where would we meet?

Written By: Marty McFly on 09/12/05 at 8:25 pm

Well...San Jose is about 350 miles north of where I live...

True -- I actually have made the trip from LA (that's where you are, right?) to San Jose and back. A few years back I went with some HS friends to Disneyland, so it's doable. Long car ride though! :D

I was just saying that I would hardly need to prepare at all if there was a mini meet in San Jose. Otherwise it would still take me awhile.

Written By: jackas on 09/12/05 at 8:50 pm

http://www.austinpowers.com/EVIL/gallery/img/mini1.jpg

hehehe ;D

Written By: Marty McFly on 09/12/05 at 8:54 pm

^^ That "mini me" looks scary! Like a clay-mation figure almost. :D

Written By: jackas on 09/12/05 at 8:54 pm

I'll be in Northern Cal in October may be we could do something then. :)

Written By: ADH13 on 09/12/05 at 11:51 pm

Reno?? :D

My husband and I are planning to go for one night in October... so we should be passing right by you  on highway 80.

Written By: FaultyDog on 09/13/05 at 12:10 am

DAK, chaka, Zebra (though he hasn't been around in ages!)...sounds like a great idea!

Written By: Bobby on 09/13/05 at 12:11 am

DAK, chaka, Zebra (though he hasn't been around in ages!)...sounds like a great idea!

How could I forget DAK?  ;D

It does sound good. 8)

Written By: karen on 09/13/05 at 4:13 am

There's some Brits who are parody writers on AmIRight.  I know that a while back one of them was thinking of organising a get together.

Kristof Robertson, marthadetox and DAK spring immediately to mind but there might be others.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 09/13/05 at 9:45 am

Where would we meet?

Well Howard....those of us who live in the eastern part of the country could possibly meet.  For instance all of us from let's say, Pa, New York, Ohio, and any other surrounding states could possibly take a weekend trip to NY or something for a small gathering.

Erin :)

Written By: jackas on 09/13/05 at 10:49 am

Reno?? :D

My husband and I are planning to go for one night in October... so we should be passing right by you  on highway 80.

We're going to Lake Tahoe for a few days, maybe well see each other on the 80. ;D

Oh wait, we'll probably take the 50.

Written By: karen on 09/13/05 at 11:17 am

Looks like Cait Sith might also be British.  Unless there's another Shepton Mallet somewhere in the world

Written By: FaultyDog on 09/13/05 at 12:10 pm

And aren't there some people from Denmark as well? RetroguyDK springs to mind. ???

Written By: Howard on 09/13/05 at 3:33 pm

We could all meet in New York City.

Written By: Bobby on 09/13/05 at 3:34 pm

Looks like Cait Sith might also be British.  Unless there's another Shepton Mallet somewhere in the world

There's definitely a place in the UK called Shepton Mallet.  :)

We might be able to get a few.  8)

Written By: nally on 09/13/05 at 4:25 pm

True -- I actually have made the trip from LA (that's where you are, right?) to San Jose and back. A few years back I went with some HS friends to Disneyland, so it's doable. Long car ride though! :D

I was just saying that I would hardly need to prepare at all if there was a mini meet in San Jose. Otherwise it would still take me awhile.

I made the airplane trip up there 13 years ago (from Burbank), and it was my very first plane trip. We drove back down in a rental car.

Actually I live in Ventura County right now, but that's pretty darn close to L.A. :)

Written By: nally on 09/13/05 at 4:28 pm

too bad I won't be. :-\\ I'll be concentrating on midterms next month...

Written By: Marty McFly on 09/13/05 at 4:50 pm

^ Yeah same here. I'm really broke now, so I don't know if I'll be able to save up for anything like that in only a month, unfortunately. :(

If it's not in the Bay Area, I'll probably have to wait a few months regardless.

Written By: nally on 09/20/05 at 9:47 am

^ Yeah same here. I'm really broke now, so I don't know if I'll be able to save up for anything like that in only a month, unfortunately. :(

If it's not in the Bay Area, I'll probably have to wait a few months regardless.

I'd be open to doing something like this when I have time off.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 09/20/05 at 9:58 am

I was fortunate enough a couple of years ago to meet Dagny in West Valley City, Utah :)  Zella may be coming through Colorado Springs in the not to distant future. Everyone is always welcome here :) I don't go away from Colorado very much anymore as my parents are getting on in years and 4 of my 6 boys are here as well ;)

Written By: Howard on 09/20/05 at 10:14 am

We could meet at my house for some tea and crumpets.

Check for new replies or respond here...