inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Are you a "creature of habit"?

Written By: gemini on 09/15/05 at 6:06 pm

I noticed this morning that I do the same thing in the same order almost every morning. Mostly on work mornings, so that's 5 mornings a week.  On days off, I sleep in and pretty much just wing it. But, usually I get up, make coffee, turn on the TV, wait for coffee, drink some, take a shower, drink more coffee, well you get the point!  ;D 

Subject: Re: Are you a "creature of habit"?

Written By: Paul on 09/15/05 at 6:10 pm

Oh yes, to a certain degree I am...probably due to the 'work ethic'...

I cannot operate without that first cuppa in the morning!

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 09/15/05 at 6:12 pm

Yes, I pretty much am a creature of habit!

Written By: gemini on 09/15/05 at 6:14 pm

Oh yes, to a certain degree I am...probably due to the 'work ethic'...

I cannot operate without that first cuppa in the morning!

Yea, gotta have my coffee too! But, as for the other repetitive morning routine, if I break the routine, I feel like I forgot to do something, then I feel "off" all day   :-\\  

Written By: Paul on 09/15/05 at 6:16 pm

Yea, gotta have my coffee too! But, as for the other repetitive morning routine, if I break the routine, I feel like I forgot to do something, then I feel "off" all day   :-\\  

That's why I said 'to a certain degree', Rhonda...

I'm pretty much on 'Autopilot' most mornings!

Written By: gemini on 09/15/05 at 6:19 pm

That's why I said 'to a certain degree', Rhonda...

I should try Autopilot sometime!  :D  I need to break out of the rut!  :) 

Written By: Paul on 09/15/05 at 6:35 pm

I should try Autopilot sometime!  :D  I need to break out of the rut!  :) 

Well, Autopilot is still a routine...

...I just don't need to think too much about what I'm doing!

Written By: Apricot on 09/15/05 at 7:10 pm

In some senses, yes.

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 09/15/05 at 7:25 pm

A little. But not to a great extent. I do the same things in the morning like get up (of course) have the same thing for breakfast each morning along with a coffee etc. (cant function without morning coffee and bowlful of cereal)

Apart from that, not really.

Written By: TC1970 on 09/15/05 at 7:36 pm

In some senses, yes.

ditto.

Written By: Miss Tainted on 09/15/05 at 7:39 pm

I wake up almost everday.

Written By: Apricot on 09/15/05 at 7:40 pm

I wake up almost everday.

:o ME TOO!!!

Written By: whistledog on 09/15/05 at 7:43 pm

:o ME TOO!!!

ME THREE!!!  :o

Written By: Barefoot_Blues on 09/15/05 at 7:50 pm

Yes, I find myself having the same routine line up. If one thing goes out of whack I feel my day went out of whack. :-\\

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 09/15/05 at 7:51 pm

I guess I am to a point. Like...usually when I go to a certain restaurant, I order the exact same thing all the time.

Beth

Written By: shiprunner12 on 09/15/05 at 8:11 pm

I am mainly in the mornings when I'm half asleep and have no idea what i'm doing until I'm eating breakfast, but besides that not too much.

Written By: jackas on 09/15/05 at 10:31 pm

I guess I am to a point. Like...usually when I go to a certain restaurant, I order the exact same thing all the time.

Beth

Ha ha......me too. ;D  I'm afraid to order something else and hate it.

I wish I was more of a creature of habit.....I might be more organized that way.

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 09/15/05 at 10:34 pm

Ha ha......me too. ;D  I'm afraid to order something else and hate it.

Yeah, me too. And one day I was feelin' like taken' a risk...livin' on the edge (!!!) and I...ORDERED SOMETHING DIFFERENT!! *Cue collective gasps*

..yeah, and it was nasty  :P

Beth

Written By: ADH13 on 09/15/05 at 10:36 pm

Yeah I usually order the same thing all the time at restaurants too.  But I wouldn't say I'm a creature of habit.  My daily routine often depends on how motivated I am that particular morning.  If I haven't gotten my butt in gear by about an hour after I get up, I might as well kiss the day goodbye. :(

Written By: jackas on 09/15/05 at 10:39 pm

My daily routine often depends on how motivated I am that particular morning.  If I haven't gotten my butt in gear by about an hour after I get up, I might as well kiss the day goodbye. :(

Oh, I do that same thing too. >:(  I have no control of myself. ;D  *heads back to "How Much Control Do You Give Up" thread* :P

Written By: Marty McFly on 09/15/05 at 10:40 pm

In most respects, yeah - although I try and mix more "daily" stuff up (even as simple as which busses to take to class) once in awhile. For that I'm really flexible.

With more longterm stuff, I totally am habitual though. For instance, I believe that's one reason I'm so attached to the 1980's (eg: my childhood) so much. It was what I knew first, and I don't take to change in that respect very well.

Pop culture stuff - yeah, that happens so it's no big deal, but things like people getting older and the world slowly changing. That's freakin' scary sometimes! ;)

Written By: mandamoo on 09/16/05 at 7:15 am

So am I on work-day mornings, Paul and I'm not 'fully' awake until at least midday ;D

I'm a creature of habit to a degree as well  :P

Written By: Paul on 09/16/05 at 7:19 am

So am I on work-day mornings, Paul and I'm not 'fully' awake until at least midday ;D

Heh! I'm not at my sharpest until I'm on my way home!

Written By: karen on 09/16/05 at 7:30 am

My morning routine varies depending on what time the children get up.  If they sleep in a little then it's always the same, breakfast, shower, dress, wake kids.  But if they are up first (or same time) then I usually sort them out first.  If only to stop them getting so engrossed in the TV that they don't want to turn it off to go and get breakfast.

I suppose I am in some ways.  I usually have the same sort of thing for lunch for example.

Written By: mandamoo on 09/16/05 at 7:30 am

Heh! I'm not at my sharpest until I'm on my way home!

I generally perk up about then, too  ;)

Written By: Bobby on 09/16/05 at 11:27 am

I can be but I don't have a religiously structured routine in any way.  :)

Written By: NullandVoid on 09/16/05 at 11:42 am

I'm more of a "Whereverr the wind takes me" kind of person. Routines drive me crazy.

Written By: Bobby on 09/16/05 at 11:51 am

I'm more of a "Whereverr the wind takes me" kind of person. Routines drive me crazy.

I know exactly what you mean. They make me feel safe, yet unsatisfied.

Written By: rich1981 on 09/16/05 at 12:02 pm

My Monday-Friday schedule is basically getting up at 6:30 and leaving at 7 for work, so most of my mornings are the same but to be honest I am at my sharpest late at night; midnight seems to be my peak lately.

Written By: Howard on 09/16/05 at 3:22 pm

I make my breakfast beforehand every single day so I don't have to make it in the morning and start rushing like a mad animal.I have cereal( with bananas),coffee,muffin and juice

Written By: gemini on 09/16/05 at 3:58 pm

Beth

I do the same thing. I'm afraid if I order something I've never had, I'll hate it and then it'll be a waste of money.

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 09/16/05 at 4:05 pm

I do the same thing. I'm afraid if I order something I've never had, I'll hate it and then it'll be a waste of money.

I'm a bit like that, too.  I tend to find something I really like and stick with it.  :)

Written By: gemini on 09/16/05 at 4:06 pm

I'm a bit like that, too.  I tend to find something I really like and stick with it.  :)

Ohhh, one more post and you'll have 21000! Way to go Karen!  :)

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 09/16/05 at 4:22 pm

Ohhh, one more post and you'll have 21000! Way to go Karen!  :)

Thanks, Rhonda!  :D

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 09/16/05 at 7:29 pm

Yes, very much so.

I am like some of the other posters here, when I go into a food shop, I already know what I want.  Have never been able to work out people who hum and hah for 5 minutes making up their mind  :o

Written By: Marty McFly on 09/16/05 at 8:00 pm

Yes, very much so.

I am like some of the other posters here, when I go into a food shop, I already know what I want. Have never been able to work out people who hum and hah for 5 minutes making up their mind :o

This is gonna sound like a contradiction because I just said how habitual I was -- but I tend to shop for, like, hours sometimes. ;)

I'm not only indecisive, but I like to look at stuff and just hang out for awhile. If it's a grocery store, probably give me an hour. If it's a thrift store or any kind of video or music place, forget me ever coming out. ;D

On that note, you'd probably HATE shopping with me, LOL!

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 09/16/05 at 8:02 pm

This is gonna sound like a contradiction because I just said how habitual I was -- but I tend to shop for, like, hours sometimes. ;)

I'm not only indecisive, but I like to look at stuff and just hang out for awhile. If it's a grocery store, probably give me an hour. If it's a thrift store or any kind of video or music place, forget me ever coming out. ;D

You got THAT right Buddy  ;D  So much so that I am thinking of changing that Happy Birthday i recently posted for you , muwahahaha  ;) :D ;D

Stores are to be gotten in and out of damn quickly  :) :) :)

Written By: jackas on 09/16/05 at 8:11 pm

That's too funny, I do the same thing!  I am so indecisive, I'll stare at a pair of pants for like 10 minutes trying to decide if I want to buy them.  I also take forever in the grocery store.  There's so much to see. ;D

Written By: Marty McFly on 09/16/05 at 8:16 pm

^ Yeah. There's also the money issue I deal with too 'cause I'm broke. ;)

Just yesterday for instance, I was at Streetlight (a secondhand video/music store) and, in short, there's a bargain bin where you can get 4 VHS movies and the cheapest one is free.

Though I'd picked two sets (8 in all) I also found a Rod Stewart 80's video collection at a regular price. I wanted to save money by getting all the bargain ones, but I also knew it might be a long time before I could see the videos again - and me being me, I don't pass up 1980's music videos! :D

Point is, I was debating in my head for like 30 minutes before I decided to put back the 4 bargain ones I was least interested in. If someone was with me in a hurry, they'd wanna kill me. ;D

Written By: Howard on 09/17/05 at 8:10 am

I set my alarm for the same time every single day including the weekends and holidays around 5:50am.

Written By: Marty McFly on 09/18/05 at 8:20 pm

^ Me too, Howard (unless it's a special occasion or something).

Another thing - I also noticed I tend to be online the most around the same time each day. H*ll, I even have routines on the computer (ie - check BTTF board, come here, check E-mail, go to a couple others, do misc surfing). ;)

Written By: Howard on 09/19/05 at 6:16 pm

I also put pepper on just about everything
I'm also an every day coffee drinker :P

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 01/05/07 at 1:00 am

Yes...I find myself doing the same things all the time....and if I change it up a bit...it seems so odd to me. ??? :o

Written By: Howard on 01/05/07 at 3:15 pm

I find myself coming home,turning on the laptop then take shower.

Written By: Marty McFly on 01/06/07 at 3:35 am

Yeah, I tend to settle into routines - not in a grumpy old person sort of way, but in a "hey, this is comfortable and it's what I know, it's cool"-sense.

I tend to be more of a settler so I can be resistant to change sometimes. I guess (to use this example again) that's why I've always stuck with '80s music or I just like older things in general. I think if you've grown used to one thing, when that changes, you might take some time to fully accept what's taken its place.

Although there are times when I look forward to it too.

Written By: Howard on 01/06/07 at 7:43 am

I also have a habit of waking up at 5:50am each and every morning including holidays and weekends.

Check for new replies or respond here...