inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Motor Vehicle Accidents

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 09/18/05 at 9:48 pm

Crappy experience it is, too  :(

I have been in three from memory.  The reason I say from memory is that the first one was waaaaaay back in 1968, our car hit a Kangaroo (bet no-one else here is gonna say THAT, hey ?  ;)) at high speed.  That was not a pleasant experience, either for the Kangaroo or the occupants of the car.

In have been in a car where someone ran into us from behind, and also one where we were in the outside (left) lane, and the car in the inside (right) lane beside us decided to turn left, just as we were alongside them.

Subject: Re: Motor Vehicle Accidents

Written By: whistledog on 09/18/05 at 9:53 pm

I have been in two car accidents (none of which I was driving at the time).  I used to work for the provincial government and part of my job involved accident reports.  Some real scary accidents out there  :o

Written By: Barefoot_Blues on 09/18/05 at 9:54 pm

I've been in one. Not fun at all ::) :\'(

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 09/18/05 at 9:59 pm

None (knock on wood).

Erin :)

Written By: Kenlos on 09/18/05 at 10:04 pm

I have had only one and it was only a small finder bender, very little damage.

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 09/18/05 at 10:09 pm

I've been in one.

Beth

Written By: shiprunner12 on 09/18/05 at 10:12 pm

I've kind of been in one. My dad hit a deer and it left a dent in the side of our van.

Written By: whitewolf on 09/18/05 at 10:15 pm

I was in 7 different car accidents,

1 when I was 6, when I was 16 we went off the road because of icy roads, 4 fender benders (I was 18, 20, 27 and the last one was this past spring). and another time from icy roads.

each time I was not driving, my back is all screwed up because of one of the fender benders and I lost the feeling in my right leg for about 6 months. I was 20 then.

Written By: ADH13 on 09/18/05 at 11:27 pm

I was rear ended once in a McDonalds drive thru line.  No damage or injuries there.

Once on a cold day early in the morning, I was behind this car in a left turn lane.. and I guess he decided he didn't want to turn left after all, so he backed up..right into me.  I think he didn't see me because his rear window had ice on it.  His car was damaged.. mine wasn't.

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 09/18/05 at 11:47 pm

I have been in one accident.  It happened in 1992, a few days before my brother's wedding.  I was in Miami Beach in a car with my mom, my (now) sister-in-law and her sister.  The sister was driving.

Fortunately, nobody was seriously hurt...and we believe it was caused by signal malfunction.

Written By: FaultyDog on 09/18/05 at 11:48 pm

There must have been more than three as far as I can recall, only one causing serious damage to both the car (my car - and I was driving) and its passengers. We were crossing a hazardous intersection (with the appropriate caution!) when this car from the left hit us (thus giving us no right of way). The car was a total loss, my brother had to get to hospital for some stitching and our holiday was messed up. >:( (Luckily, no remaining damage was caused)

The other times were just minor incidents. I remember driving into a gas station on my very first drive (no big deal, it happened quite often according to the proprietor) and getting involved in some fender benders (nice expression btw!), at least one of which was my fault completely (reminder: you should ALWAYS keep your distance!)

Written By: NullandVoid on 09/18/05 at 11:52 pm

I got knocked by a SUV off of my bike last summer. It hurt like crazy, but I'm still here.

Written By: NbC on 09/19/05 at 1:57 am

I have been in more than one.

The first occurred the first week I had my drivers permit.  Rear ended a bus.  Second soon after I passed my drivers test rear ended a van.  See a pattern here.  ;D 

I can't remember the year but sometime during my early 20's I side swiped a car.  The car was full of teenagers and they decided to take a turn while I was heading in their direction.  My friend who was in the passengers seat was thrown against the windshield.  She cracked the windshield with her head but was unhurt.

The last happened when my daughter was around three and this lady who was pulled over at the curb turned back onto the street at the same time my car was right beside hers .  She hit the side of my car where my daughter was sitting.  I was furious!  Luckily my daughter was taking a nap at the time and wasn't aware of what happened. 

I have had a couple of fender benders but they involved just me so I guess that doesn't count. 

Written By: mandamoo on 09/19/05 at 6:29 am

Crappy experience it is, too :(

I have been in three from memory. The reason I say from memory is that the first one was waaaaaay back in 1968, our car hit a Kangaroo (bet no-one else here is gonna say THAT, hey ? ;))

Well, I could...but I won't 'cause I've never been in a motor vehicle accident, let alone with a 'roo  :o

Written By: Paul on 09/19/05 at 7:03 am

Yes, three if memory serves...

Which were all committed when I'd just passed my test, two of 'em were just minor prangs involving just me and one was a 'side on' job whilst pulling out of a turning...it wasn't full-on, but was enough to take my 'block' off its mountings!

Other than that, I'm an insurance man's dream!

Written By: karen on 09/19/05 at 7:11 am

No major ones here (touch wood) but I've had a few dented bumpers and what not.  Mainly being too hasty to pull into a gap that the car in front decides not to go for!

Written By: Marty McFly on 09/19/05 at 7:34 am

Only been in three to date - thankfully none major.

1. With both my parents around 1992 - just a teeny fender bender from behind. This was on a short bridge between Folsom and Orangevale (Sacramento suburbs) so it was at slow speeds.

2. January 1996. We were moving from Vallejo down to Los Gatos. My dad drove the U-haul truck while me and my mom followed in the car she was driving at the time. Anyway, just after pulling out of the house, we were on a residential street that had the SLIGHTEST curve. Dad in the truck pulled to the right (out of the way) when a pickup coming from the other way didn't complete the turn.

I happened to notice it at this time (mom didn't yet apparently), but not really fast enough to say or do anything. Still it shocked the heck outta me whe he clipped us -luckily it was just at the very front side, so it wasn't majorly damaged.

3. September 2004. The scariest one of 'em all. Right here in San Jose, I was out with two buddies after Play rehearsal at school (in the backseat). After overshooting a street, he goes to make a U turn in one of those mid-street lanes where there's a little concrete divider separating it from people going the other way making an opposite left turn.

Anyway, we'd all been ad-lib singing this stupid funny song, so my friend driving, realized he was going a little fast in that lane. The scary thing was, the brakes in that car sometimes locked up and they just decided to then.

So we jump the curb and into opposing lanes of traffic and have a MINOR collision with another car. Very fortunately, all three of us as well as the woman were alright, but it shook the hell outta me. I had time to get a deathgrip on both front seats though!

The impact actually yanked the seatbelt on me so hard that my stomach hurt for a couple days (so I took off class for a day) - the police/paramedics thought I might've had internal bleeding but luckily not.

My friend's car was totalled though, from the way it hit however. We all can laugh about it now, but I get a weird feeling whenever I pass that spot now! Oddly, it's right near where my work, so I'm in that area all the time.

P.S. The trend here - every time gets a little worse. I hope there ain't a #4 if that's the case.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/19/05 at 10:10 am

The first one I was in I was about 6 or so. My mother was driving and hit a patch of ice. The car did a 180 and hit a car that was on the side of the road (and there were two people in the car). No one was injured but the car was severally damaged (can't remember if it was totalled or not) and that was the one day my mother forgot her purse which had her licence in it.

St. Patrick's Day 1988 (yes, I remember the date), I was on my way to work and was had a co-worker in the car with me. We were stopped in traffic at a light. Some jerk (and I am being very nice here) came barrelling into us from behind. He hit me so hard that I hit the car in front of me and the car in front of me hit the car in front of him. He said that he was going 40 mpr but he also said that he just turned onto the road. I don't understand how he got up so fast in that short period of time. Come to find out, it wasn't even his car. The result, my little Sentra looked like a VW Bug. He smashed in the back and because I hit the car in front of me, the front end was also smashed in. The car was totalled. And this was right after I had just sent in the last payment. I got the title about a week after the accident.  But, the insurence co. bought me my next car-paid in full actually so I never had a payment on that one. But, my back was pretty messed up after that (and I think that is why I have back problems today).

Had been in some fender benders but nothing as bad. There was one time that my car was hit 3 times in about a month's time-and a couple of those times, I wasn't even in the car. I thought about painting a big bullseye on the car.

Cat

Written By: Indy Gent on 09/19/05 at 7:04 pm

Not recently, (knock wood), but I've had about 3 with 3 different cars.

Written By: Dagwood on 09/19/05 at 7:11 pm

2 minor ones.

First I backed into a car in a parking lot.  The second I was in the left turn lane and someone in the lane to the right of me decided to be in that lane also.  I had a tank, he had a tin car.  I had a cracked bumper guard and he couldn't open his drivers door.  I am guessing he looked where he was going after that one.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 09/19/05 at 7:18 pm

Ah, accidents...

Well, the first one was when I was still on a permit.  I thought I had plenty of room to make a left turn, but the other driver seemed to think it was a good idea to speed up and knock my bumper and spun my car around.  Still not sure whose fault that was, probably mine because I was turning, but that was pretty retarded.

The second time was after I graduated from college.  I was exiting the freeway, and applied the brakes, but noticed that I was still closing rapidly on the car in front of me on the off-ramp.  Stamping on the brakes harder didn't seem to help.  I slammed into the back of that car, which slammed into the car in front of it, and my stupid airbag didn't even deploy.  Not sure what happened there either, but most likely that was my fault too.

The last time was definitely not my fault.  I was picking up the wife's sister from her school and was waiting at the light when some woman decided that my car was in another plane of existence and tried to pass right through it, not realizing that we were indeed of the same universe.  Which meant that my rear bumper was shredded off and the trunk wouldn't open, and I had to get the baby's stroller out of the front (fold down seats are cool).  Stupid lady.  Progressive is excellent car insurance though :)

Check for new replies or respond here...