inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The "other board"... time to re-think it's purpose

Written By: ChuckyG on 09/19/05 at 3:23 pm

Most of you are probably aware of another board, the name of which can't be discussed here.  Let's call it NP to make life easier.

NP was meant to be a version of inthe00s, where you could do things you can't do here.  Sex talk, profanity, etc.  Little to no moderation (basically, just delete spam).  In the first month of existence, it was pretty popular.  4 months later, it's a ghost town.

I'm going to wipe it clean, and re-install it all in a few weeks.  The software is a newer version of the software used here, and it has some bugs that don't want to go away (the new message bug).  When I re-install it, what should we do?

I think having sex talk in any forum, was a little too much.  I think it should have been limited to one or two forums. 

There's also some problems with recent laws passed by the government, that makes having pictures with adult content too risky to host from a legal standpoint.  Which is why I'm thinking of either turning off avatars and images, or having to moderate that (ugh!) which kind of makes the whole "lack of moderation" claim look foolish.

There's a forum on the other board about this too.

I want to hear any/all reasons people either didn't want to use it, started to and then stopped, or what they want to see there that they can't see here, etc.

Subject: Re: The "other board"... time to re-think it's purpose

Written By: whistledog on 09/19/05 at 3:29 pm

Sex forums are always a bad idea.  The way I see it.. if you wanna talk sex, call the Sunday Night Sex Show  ;D

I hope you don't get rid of avatars.  I like having one :)

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 09/19/05 at 4:03 pm

Sex forums are always a bad idea.  The way I see it.. if you wanna talk sex, call the Sunday Night Sex Show  ;D

I hope you don't get rid of avatars.  I like having one :)

...Sue Johanson?!  :D

Beth

Written By: jackas on 09/19/05 at 4:09 pm

I went on there for a few weeks.  I thought it was going to be a place where we would talk about everything without having to keep it clean, but it seemed that everyone who went there wanted to talk about sex and nothing else.  It just got a little old.

Written By: ADH13 on 09/19/05 at 4:36 pm

I went on there for a few weeks.  I thought it was going to be a place where we would talk about everything without having to keep it clean, but it seemed that everyone who went there wanted to talk about sex and nothing else.  It just got a little old.

same here.  I think anyone who had something to say that was not sex related would post it here on this board, where they would obviously get no replies.  Most people were only posting what they COULDN'T post here... and yes, the constant sex discussion wasn't what I had in mind either.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/19/05 at 6:35 pm

I for one enjoyed it and went frequently-even after most people disappeared. I will be sorry to see it go because I found it...um...educational.

Cat

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 09/20/05 at 6:43 am

Does feel a bit ghostly lately. Although it has livened up a bit in the last month (Thanks to 2 new members, SM and LDT  ::)) (but still not enough to have me want to visit every day) - the constant sex talk can be offputting though... even if I didn't mind it.  :D

Written By: Marty McFly on 09/20/05 at 6:52 am

Hey Chucky, just wondered, will the old posts themselves stay?

I might've only posted a few times myself, but I visit, say once a week, and I've enjoyed reading it.

When I don't know people that well, I usually will tend to stick to talking about casual things I'm into - like movies, the 80's, etc. Now that I'm more acquainted with everyone though, I don't mind talking about sex or "I gotta pee", and stuff like that. ;D

I'll at least visit when I can and do a couple posts per time. If nothing else, I promise to add more jokes - I've got books full of 'em! ;)

Overall, I agree with everyone that, if you've got something non-sex/non cussing-related, people will be much more inclined to post it here, since it'll have much more of an audience. Everyone talks about sex sometimes, but I suppose you can't do only that, so that's probably why traffic went way down.

Like you said, maybe constricting it to only a certain section will help?

Written By: karen on 09/20/05 at 7:30 am

My main reason for stopping was that my workplace seems to be tightening up a little on "acceptable use" and I'm sure the other place is more likely to get flagged up than what I do here.

I can't remember my log in now anyway so can't log on at home.

Written By: Howard on 09/20/05 at 9:23 am

I guess there wasn't a use for another board after all.

Written By: ChuckyG on 09/20/05 at 8:31 pm

Hey Chucky, just wondered, will the old posts themselves stay?

no.. I'm gonna nuke it 100%...

Check for new replies or respond here...