inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Job Thread

Written By: ElDuderino on 09/20/05 at 7:53 pm

So I want to find a job...I don't know how though, and the local economy has been in a rut. The job market is now especially convoluted with Katrina refugees here. How is a 17 year-old college student with little prior experience to find a job? I registered with Texas Workforce online, perhaps that will help..

Subject: Re: Job Thread

Written By: whistledog on 09/20/05 at 7:57 pm

Temporary employment agencies are always a good place to start.  You could also try posting a resume at http://www.monster.com  :)

Written By: ElDuderino on 09/20/05 at 8:01 pm

Hmm, even making my criteria broad as I could, my search for jobs on Texas Workforce's website turned up no results.

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 09/20/05 at 8:23 pm

You could start your own business...

You could be someone that hauls away junk in your pickup truck (if you had one)

You could become a DJ for weddings/parties

You could type resumes and college papers (I did that as a side job for awhile)

You could make webpages (believe it or not, people still pay people to make them)

You could wash people's clothes for them (I know I'd pay somebody to do my laundry)  ;D

You could maybe get government grants to help Katrina refugees find jobs.  I dunno.

I wish you luck in your job search

Written By: ElDuderino on 09/20/05 at 8:53 pm

Ok..I found two.

"Part-time retail clerk for our Dolly Madison store in Tyler. Job includes running a cash register, customer service, cleaning, and stocking along with a variety of general store duties. The ideal candidate will have previous retail experience in a grocery setting. We require reliability, a high school diploma, good communication skills, steady work record, and ability to meet the physical demands of the job.

$7.72 an hour, Part Time, Rotating Shift"

I'm not into physical work..it sounds like it will probably involve lifting crates and the like. Not my line of expertise. And I don't have the work record anyway.

"Mature individual needed to work varied hours at small tanning salon/video rental store in new strip-mall in Gresham area. This position requires an outgoing, sales-minded person who pays attention to detail and is able to work without constant supervision. Starting pay is $6.00 per hour and will increase as responbility increases. 25-30 hours per week. A criminal and background check will be completed. Apply in person M-F 12-7p.m. Salon is located 3.5 miles S of Grande on Old Jacksonville Hwy."

Somehow I feel this isn't the job for me. Plus it only pays minimum wage($5.75 an hour). Asst.manager position but with minimum wage? Pfft. ;D

Written By: Dominic L. on 09/20/05 at 8:54 pm

Party/Wedding dj's make like... 300 dollars per wedding/party.. (or more) that could be something you do on weekends...

Written By: ElDuderino on 09/20/05 at 8:58 pm

I don't know anything about DJs. Besides I figure you'd have to provide your own equipment DJing private parties and weddings.

Written By: ADH13 on 09/20/05 at 8:59 pm

My first job was at a movie theater.   It wasn't too bad when I was 17.   The work itself is kinda monotonous... but you get to see all the movies before they are available to the public.. and you get in free anytime you want.   Also after the movies started slowing down in popularity, they usually gave the posters to the employees.

Written By: jackas on 09/20/05 at 9:02 pm

Ok..I found two.

"Part-time retail clerk for our Dolly Madison store in Tyler. Job includes running a cash register, customer service, cleaning, and stocking along with a variety of general store duties. The ideal candidate will have previous retail experience in a grocery setting. We require reliability, a high school diploma, good communication skills, steady work record, and ability to meet the physical demands of the job.

$7.72 an hour, Part Time, Rotating Shift"

I'm not into physical work..it sounds like it will probably involve lifting crates and the like. Not my line of expertise. And I don't have the work record anyway.

"Mature individual needed to work varied hours at small tanning salon/video rental store in new strip-mall in Gresham area. This position requires an outgoing, sales-minded person who pays attention to detail and is able to work without constant supervision. Starting pay is $6.00 per hour and will increase as responbility increases. 25-30 hours per week. A criminal and background check will be completed. Apply in person M-F 12-7p.m. Salon is located 3.5 miles S of Grande on Old Jacksonville Hwy."

Somehow I feel this isn't the job for me. Plus it only pays minimum wage($5.75 an hour). Asst.manager position but with minimum wage? Pfft. ;D

Dolly Madison would suck for me.  I would want to eat everything in sight. ;D  The pay is better though.

The second one might be ok, I'm sure you could meet a lot of ladies that go to the tanning salon. :)

Written By: Barefoot_Blues on 09/20/05 at 9:02 pm

Star Bucks! Think of the tips ;)

Written By: ElDuderino on 09/20/05 at 9:14 pm

I don't think there is a job for me.

Written By: jackas on 09/20/05 at 9:15 pm

I don't think there is a job for me.

This isn't a career, Alex.  You should just get something to get a little experience under your belt.

Written By: ADH13 on 09/20/05 at 9:17 pm

You say you like to write.  Maybe you should check with your local newspaper and see if they have any entry level positions?  And maybe work your way up from there?

Written By: ElDuderino on 09/20/05 at 9:17 pm

Well i'm not going to work in food unless I am a host or a waiter..I don't do manual labor..there are just certain things that I don't do. I'm mental-oriented; its why I'm going to college.

Written By: jackas on 09/20/05 at 9:22 pm

Well i'm not going to work in food unless I am a host or a waiter..I don't do manual labor..there are just certain things that I don't do. I'm mental-oriented; its why I'm going to college.

Can you get a job through the college?

Written By: ElDuderino on 09/20/05 at 9:23 pm

I checked about that last Wednesday and the advisor told me that the only position not filled was an assistant position to campus security. I'm no cop; nor a rent-a-cop.

Written By: ADH13 on 09/20/05 at 9:44 pm

I think you should contact your local newspaper and see if they need editorial writers.  I know that around here, they base it on the merit of your article, not on your experience.

Although for other parts of the newspaper, I'm sure it is based on experience.  It is always nice to have a little journalism experience if you're planning on going that way.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 09/20/05 at 10:57 pm

If you served tables you could make some decent money while in college....and meet a LOT of people along the way.

Erin :)

Written By: ElDuderino on 09/20/05 at 11:02 pm

If you served tables you could make some decent money while in college....and meet a LOT of people along the way.

Yeah I've wanted to be a server for awhile.

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 09/20/05 at 11:06 pm

I think you should become Rubixgirl, that's what I think.

Written By: jackas on 09/20/05 at 11:12 pm

I think you should become Rubixgirl, that's what I think.

Now there's a tough job.  So many fans, so little time. ::)

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 09/20/05 at 11:14 pm

Yeah I've wanted to be a server for awhile.

I've waited tables at numerous restaurants, and if you get in somewhere that is normally busy and charges a little higher than average prices for their food...you should do just fine. A lot of restaurants tend to like to hire guys over girls too, they think they can carry the trays easier. I used to make pretty good money serving tables...it's hard work...but you always have cash on hand.

Written By: Alchoholica on 09/20/05 at 11:17 pm

Join a band.. when me and the lad's got gigs we would usually walk away with $250 each. Not bad at all!

Written By: ElDuderino on 09/20/05 at 11:30 pm

Oh its you. ;D

Yeah i just have to find me musical talent first.

I am just starting to learn the guitar, it'll take a whiiiiile lol. (its so hard getting my fingers to do what i want).

Written By: Alchoholica on 09/20/05 at 11:31 pm

(its so hard getting my fingers to do what i want).

Can't say i have that problem.. IF YA SMELL WHAT THE ROCK IS COOKIN!

Well.. play drums, you don't need any talent  ;D

Written By: ElDuderino on 09/20/05 at 11:33 pm

Can't say i have that problem.. IF YA SMELL WHAT THE ROCK IS COOKIN!

Well.. play drums, you don't need any talent ;D

;D Buuuuuurn. That reminds me of the joke "yeah the Beatles obviously did alot of drugs, they'd even let Ringo sing sometimes". ;D ;D

Written By: ElDuderino on 09/20/05 at 11:35 pm

My guitar needs fixing though. The bridge is too low on one side(the lower, thinner strings). But its worth it to get the bridge raised, its an old accoustic from the 70s; it'd be a shame to get rid of it. Plus it was free anyway.

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 09/21/05 at 1:04 am

My guitar needs fixing though. The bridge is too low on one side(the lower, thinner strings). But its worth it to get the bridge raised, its an old accoustic from the 70s; it'd be a shame to get rid of it. Plus it was free anyway.
Sorry this is off-topic, but:

that CD in your avatar is f***en great!  :D 8)

Written By: ElDuderino on 09/21/05 at 7:05 am

Sorry this is off-topic, but:

that CD in your avatar is f***en great! :D 8)

Yeah its one of my favorite modern rock n roll albums. Turn A Square, Saint Simon, Gone For Good, Young Pilgrims..from start to finish, EVERY song is great and has something special about it. I think if they keep putting out music the Shins will eventually be of a comparable artistic level to the Fab four. But thats just me. ;)

Written By: Marty McFly on 09/21/05 at 8:35 am

Ughhhh - I hear ya loud and clear on this one! I'm in the same boat more or less too.

I've gone on three job interviews in the past two weeks - none of which have panned out (at least in the SF Bay Area, it's definitely harder than, say 5-6 years ago. The recession hasn't helped). I'm semi frustrated, but oddly not THAT much.

I feel like the pressure is on to get a "real" job (hell, I'm gonna be 30 in 6 years!).

Career-wise, I've always gravitated towards doing something creative - namely acting or writing in some aspect. Maybe working in TV. I've been in a few plays at my school (and other performances) and it was an indescribably great feeling.

I'm weird in this sense, but I'm the type who, if Jay Leno came up to me on the street and said, "I'm taking the day off. You can guest host for me", I'd (despite the butterflies) do that way more comfortably than just going on a typical job interview.

Problem is, that's obviously not the kind of job/career you just get overnight, you have to invest hard work at it for a long time. You've gotta pay the bills and have general spending money in the interim time!

My heart's just not in it anymore to get another retail/entry level job, so I know how that feels. I'm picky with that as well. You should like your work, IMO.

Written By: joedeertae on 09/21/05 at 9:11 am

What about these Alex?
http://tinyurl.com/cay9m

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 09/21/05 at 12:53 pm

So I want to find a job...I don't know how though, and the local economy has been in a rut. The job market is now especially convoluted with Katrina refugees here. How is a 17 year-old college student with little prior experience to find a job? I registered with Texas Workforce online, perhaps that will help..

When I was 17, I started working with a remodeling contractor. That was excellent experience, as I learned all kinds of things about rebuilding and reconstructing, also going to the dump was lots of fun (lol) Remodeling is nicer than working on construction sites, where sometimes things are often overlooked on sites.

You could become a courier and/or journeyman.

You could work at an office or reception desk.

You could work in retail at a department store. At the tender age of 21, my brother was assistant manager of a jewelry department - and that was prior to no exp. in retail.

You can be a medical records clerk at a hospital. My brother got a job as one at the age of 17.

Just think of the possibilities! :0)

Written By: Alchoholica on 09/21/05 at 1:38 pm

Let's see..

Do you have a Ramada.. or a Hilton or something like that near you?

I worked in a Hotel for a while (as a second job) and it wasn't bad at all. Used to set up extra beds, replace light fixtures, bulbs etc, set the tables in the dining room, meet n' greet, take newspapers to rooms. Not difficult really.

Best job i had was for a Truck Company (i think i was telling you about this) some of the time i'd work in the warehouse which is what you'd probably be best served doing, because if your actually going out in the trucks, your gone for HOURS! I used to work for around 4am onwards but i know my mate Gorm did a later shift. He worked from 12 pm until around 9am. Presumably they did a 3-11 shift or something as well.

I don't know how many hours you want to work.. that'd be usefull to know.

Written By: jackas on 09/21/05 at 4:03 pm

Alex, you don't "do manual labor" but you want to be a server?  Stocking shelves would be less "manual labor" than that.  I've done both and let me tell ya, after a day working at the grocery store, I was nowhere NEAR as tired as after a night waiting tables.  Not to mention that the "weight" of a case of Dolly Madison anythings would be a fraction of the weight of a fully loaded tray of food.  Then, there's always the crabby people you have to deal with as a server.....if it were me, I'd be singing "Hello, Dolly....well, Hellooooo Dolly....it's so nice to have you back where you belong" :P

I agree! 

Also, it is not "mental-oriented".

Written By: Howard on 09/21/05 at 4:17 pm

What do you want to do for a living? ???

Written By: ElDuderino on 09/21/05 at 10:47 pm

What do you want to do for a living? ???

Now? Or you mean career-wise? I want to be a writer when I get out of college.

My uncle had convinced me pizza delivery boy would be a good job..until I figured paying for the extra gas would end up costing me a fourth or more of what I make. Weak.

Written By: Howard on 09/22/05 at 3:52 pm

Now? Or you mean career-wise? I want to be a writer when I get out of college.

My uncle had convinced me pizza delivery boy would be a good job..until I figured paying for the extra gas would end up costing me a fourth or more of what I make. Weak.

That's wonderful.Good Luck Shin. :)

Check for new replies or respond here...