inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: (Im)possibilities of a new kind of quiz

Written By: FaultyDog on 10/03/05 at 3:17 pm

So we have lyrics quizzes, cryptic quizzes and "fill in the blanks"-type of quizzes (and there may be others that I don't know of), but I was thinking of taking it to another dimension.

What if the question wasn't a visible one, but an audible one? ???

So instead of reading a clue of some kind, you click on any number and you hear a snippet of music (say, an intro)...

This raises the following questions, and I'd appreciate your input on this:

Would that appeal to you?

Is it possible to make a quiz like that? (I mean: can the site handle this? Are there any legal complications that we should be aware of?)

And last but not least: can somebody lend a wing up, for it would be a first for me... :-\\

Subject: Re: (Im)possibilities of a new kind of quiz

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 10/03/05 at 3:19 pm

Those are MP3 quizzes, Henk, and yes...they have been done (though it's been a while)!

It would be great if you did one of those!  8)

Written By: Apricot on 10/03/05 at 3:19 pm

People use that service to show their voices, I see no reason why that wouldn't work for you.. copyright infringment would be the only possible concern... I'd like it, if you did that sort of thing.

Written By: Step-chan on 10/03/05 at 3:20 pm

So we have lyrics quizzes, cryptic quizzes and "fill in the blanks"-type of quizzes (and there may be others that I don't know of), but I was thinking of taking it to another dimension.

What if the question wasn't a visible one, but an audible one? ???

So instead of reading a clue of some kind, you click on any number and you hear a snippet of music (say, an intro)...

This raises the following questions, and I'd appreciate your input on this:

Would that appeal to you?

Is it possible to make a quiz like that? (I mean: can the site handle this? Are there any legal complications that we should be aware of?)

And last but not least: can somebody lend a wing up, for it would be a first for me... :-\\

Well, I'm not too sure myself what can be done and can't be done with this sort of quiz. Maybe if you used wave or MP3 for it?(Not too sure if that's a good way to start it).

Written By: Paul on 10/03/05 at 3:25 pm

Those are MP3 quizzes, Henk, and yes...they have been done (though it's been a while)!

It would be great if you did one of those!  8)

Already been done? That surprises me...

I thought it'd be a 'no-no' because of copyright infringement...

Best ask Chucky beforehand, just to see if it's 'legal'...

Written By: FaultyDog on 10/03/05 at 3:31 pm

I thought it'd be a 'no-no' because of copyright infringement...

That's what I was thinking too. And maybe that's excactly the reason why they haven't been done for quite some time, apparently.

Best ask Chucky beforehand, just to see if it's 'legal'...

Will do.

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 10/03/05 at 3:35 pm

I was trying to find one so that I could show you, but I think they might have been on the previous board...

But yes, I did one of those (with Fuss's help), and a few few others did (including My Name Is Kenny)...

Written By: whistledog on 10/03/05 at 3:58 pm

I don't see any problem with mp3 quizzes.  I've done a few of them many times on other message boards in the past, and they've always got a welcome response :)

Written By: Marty McFly on 10/03/05 at 6:08 pm

This reminds me of "name that tune", so I'd love it! :)

BTW, I seem to have an uncanny nature for picking out songs I like almost instantaneously. It's funny, but I recall once at about 4 years old, my folks and I were in the car when my mom was flipping through stations. I heard, like, one note of a song I liked and immediately lit up and went, "Could you turn that back, good song".

(For the record, it was "Trouble" from Lindsey Buckingham.)

^ Yes, another pointless story in the life of me. ;D

Written By: Dominic L. on 10/03/05 at 6:48 pm

This reminds me of "name that tune", so I'd love it! :)

BTW, I seem to have an uncanny nature for picking out songs I like almost instantaneously. It's funny, but I recall once at about 4 years old, my folks and I were in the car when my mom was flipping through stations. I heard, like, one note of a song I liked and immediately lit up and went, "Could you turn that back, good song".

(For the record, it was "Trouble" from Lindsey Buckingham.)

^ Yes, another pointless story in the life of me. ;D

That happens to me too

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 10/04/05 at 12:12 am

I remember, but I think you're right, it was on the old board.  There were a couple of others done as well, if memory serves ;)

Yes.  :)

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 10/04/05 at 4:53 am

I was trying to find one so that I could show you, but I think they might have been on the previous board...

But yes, I did one of those (with Fuss's help)

CF speaks the truth  :)

The trick is to get them to a low bitrate and save them as MP3 rather than WAV, else people on slower connections will give up and curse you  ;D ;D ;) ;) ;)

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 10/04/05 at 1:33 pm

CF speaks the truth  :)

;)

Written By: FaultyDog on 10/15/05 at 2:26 pm

Well, forget about it - it's too complicated for me, so I've dropped the idea. If anyone else wanna jump in, be my guest.

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 10/15/05 at 8:48 pm

Well, forget about it - it's too complicated for me, so I've dropped the idea. If anyone else wanna jump in, be my guest.

Awww...sorry to hear that the idea didn't work out for you, Henk!  :-\\

Check for new replies or respond here...