inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What would your parents have named you?

Written By: ADH13 on 10/07/05 at 2:47 pm

I think most of us are old enough that our parents didn't know what gender we would be until we were born.  Have you ever asked your parents what your name would have been if you had been the opposite gender?

I would have been Garrett.

Subject: Re: What would your parents have named you?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/07/05 at 2:53 pm

I would have been Joseph after my great-grandfather (which I do have a nephew by that name now).

Cat

Written By: Alchoholica on 10/07/05 at 2:57 pm

Mary  :P

My uncle was my saving grace though, my mother wanted me to be called Henry and he pointed out to her that henry is a dogs name  ;D

Written By: Howard on 10/07/05 at 3:34 pm

Henrietta ::)

Written By: Step-chan on 10/07/05 at 3:38 pm

My parents never told me that, I've been told that(after they knew my gender) they also thought of naming me Micheal.

Written By: NullandVoid on 10/07/05 at 3:40 pm

Had I been a boy I would have had the name that my brother has now, Zabar

My Mother intended to name me Valerie after my aunt...thank goodness my dad intervened!

(sorry aunt val)

Written By: Apricot on 10/07/05 at 3:44 pm

Isabelle.

Written By: Step-chan on 10/07/05 at 3:50 pm

Isabelle.

I should ask my mom if she remembers.

Written By: whitewolf on 10/07/05 at 5:37 pm

I don't know, and i guess i never will, cause there is no way in hell that i will ask that B I T C H anything

on the other hand,

my oldest daughter would have been Justin Paul
My son would have been Hannah Avis
my youngest daughter would have been Mathew Edward

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 10/07/05 at 5:43 pm

I would have been named Seth.

My parents debated between Bethany and Brittney for a long time, too. And, out of the two, I'm really glad they decided on Bethany.

Written By: Apricot on 10/07/05 at 6:01 pm

My parents debated between Bethany and Brittney for a long time, too. And, out of the two, I'm really glad they decided on Bethany.

Yeah, me too.. for reasons probably different then yours, though.  ;D

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/07/05 at 6:03 pm

I have never asked, perhaps I should tomorow

Written By: ktelqueen on 10/07/05 at 6:55 pm

Brian  ::)

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 10/07/05 at 7:05 pm

I honestly haven't asked them.

Not sure if I want to know either.  ::)

Written By: whistledog on 10/07/05 at 7:22 pm

My mom wanted to originally name me Gregory, but my Dad wouldn't have that because apparently he knew a guy in University named Gregory who was gay, and said that I would always make him think of that guy  :D

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 10/07/05 at 7:51 pm

well....I am not sure what I would have been if I had been a boy...however, they were actually contemplating the name Michael for me as a girl!!!! I guess I would have been called Mikey!!  They were also thinking about the name Dawn....I am glad they chose Erin.

Erin :)

Written By: Dagwood on 10/07/05 at 7:52 pm

Not sure, but if my daughter had been a boy she was going to be either Jared Michael or Brady James.

Written By: YWN on 10/07/05 at 7:57 pm

I don't know...

But my dad told me that when he was in college, he told himself that if he ever had a son, he would name him Marshal, because that was his best friend's name.  :)

Written By: jaytee on 10/07/05 at 8:13 pm

Lachlan

My mother wanted me to be Cassandra but they decided against it because Dad's niece was Sandra.

Written By: Dominic L. on 10/07/05 at 9:44 pm

My mom wanted me to be Rico... and a bunch of other Latino names... My dad was against all of them though..  :( Now no one believes I'm Latino because my skin is white  :\'(

Written By: Dumb Ass Kid on 10/08/05 at 6:04 pm

This is not a joke, he was not drunk at the time, I am being completely serious and i'm NOT MAKING THIS UP ONE BIT:

According to my mam, if my dad (who i'm named after) had had his way, i would've either been called Rex or Blue (no joke, seriously). It was one of the few things my mam has managed to tell me that i've had no reply to... I was gobsmacked when I found out

Written By: Harmonica on 10/08/05 at 6:06 pm

I was supposed to be a girl. They were 99% positively that I was female.

Amy Lee

Written By: Paul on 10/08/05 at 6:07 pm

This is not a joke, he was not drunk at the time, I am being completely serious and i'm NOT MAKING THIS UP ONE BIT:

According to my mam, if my dad (who i'm named after) had had his way, i would've either been called Rex or Blue (no joke, seriously). It was one of the few things my mam has managed to tell me that i've had no reply to... I was gobsmacked when I found out

Did he want a son? Or a dog?!!

I'm certain I've mentioned it before, but I was originally earmarked to be called 'Geoffrey' - I think that was kiboshed by my Ma...

I'm not sure what I was going to be called if I was a girl - I don't think I've ever asked! I'll get back to you on that one...!

Written By: Dumb Ass Kid on 10/08/05 at 6:09 pm

Did he want a son? Or a dog?!!

;D Not so sure myself!

When I was born, my mam was on the pill, so I somehow was born despite a 99.999999999999999999999999999999999999999% chance against me being born. As you can imagine, finding that out made me feel special  ::)

Written By: Alchoholica on 10/08/05 at 6:18 pm

;D Not so sure myself!

When I was born, my mam was on the pill, so I somehow was born despite a 99.999999999999999999999999999999999999999% chance against me being born. As you can imagine, finding that out made me feel special  ::)

*whistle* come here boy!

Maybe they should have called you Lucky?

Written By: Dumb Ass Kid on 10/08/05 at 6:22 pm

*whistle* come here boy!

Maybe they should have called you Lucky?

Strange you should say that because I am quite a lucky person. Things always happen to me that stop bad things happening. Take a couple of weeks ago... I had a major essay to hand into a teacher who's NEVER BEEN OFF BEFORE!!! I didn't get it all done, and I was worried because she had threatened letters home and everything... and what do you know? She was off, giving me a double period to complete the essay in.
There are better examples, but i'm tired and that's the only one I can be bothered to remember  ;D

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 10/08/05 at 8:06 pm

My mom had Kristen as a chosen name for a girl and if I turned out as a boy, she wanted to name me Brent.

Written By: MLB on 10/10/05 at 3:05 pm

I'm not quite sure anymore if they told me it was to be Michael...which is male form of my name anyhow. I don't believe i was going to be a Junior though which is a thankful thing. Not that dad's name isn't good enough for me but it's also Grandpa's name. well, first name anyway. middle names differ...

Written By: danootaandme on 10/10/05 at 3:37 pm

I probably would have been Joseph or Albert, my grandfathers names.

Written By: Howard on 10/10/05 at 6:29 pm

My parents would've named me Henrietta if I was a girl.I wonder if that could be arranged? ;D

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 10/10/05 at 7:55 pm

My parents would've named me Henrietta if I was a girl.I wonder if that could be arranged? ;D

which one? The changing of your name or the changing of your sex? LOL!

Written By: ADH13 on 10/10/05 at 10:31 pm

Erin, do you think you would have been Aaron??  That seems like the most logical choice.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 10/10/05 at 10:35 pm

Erin, do you think you would have been Aaron??  That seems like the most logical choice.

I'm not really sure.  I am thinking that I would have been named after my dad, Michael...I mean they were thinking about even naming me that for a girl's name.....I think another possibility was Gabriel.

Written By: thenewwavechick on 10/10/05 at 10:47 pm

I have no idea what my parents would have named me if I was a boy, I will have to ask my Mom the next time I talk to her.
My Mom's name is Barrie, and sometimes she get mail addressed to Mr. Barrie F....(not saying her last name in here)  ;D  She said in high school she switched her name to have her middle name of Ruth as her first name, because she hated being called barrie.  I actually love that name.  :D

Written By: deadrockstar on 10/10/05 at 10:51 pm

Norma Jean.

Written By: Tam on 10/10/05 at 10:52 pm

Justus Daniel

After my great-great grandfather

Written By: karen on 10/11/05 at 5:48 am

Not too sure though I suspect it might have been William after my grandad (my mums dad) since one of my brothers was named after my dad's dad.

Had my eldest (Elizabeth) been a boy she would have been called James.  Luckily James was born a boy because we hadn't picked a girl's name out.

Written By: Howard on 10/11/05 at 7:28 pm

My name

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/14/05 at 11:52 am

I am currently listening to Johnny Cash's A Boy Named Sue, can a real paremt do this?

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 10/14/05 at 12:44 pm

I don't know what I would have been named, I never asked.  But had my little brother been a girl, he'd have been named Jennifer Jaycee.  I was 4 when he was born and Jaycee was my favorite word at the time.  My dad wanted to name my brother Ivan, but mom intervened and said you got to name the first one (me - I was supposedly named after a former girlfriend  ;D ), so my mom won *that* battle and from thenceforth on, my brother was known as Steve.  :D

Written By: Howard on 10/14/05 at 2:58 pm

Probably Harry

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 10/14/05 at 3:28 pm

You *can* legally change your name if you so choose to do.

There once was a guy from my former hometown, who petitioned the court to change his name to "God Almighty", they wouldn't let him do *that*, so then he decided to change it to "Angel John" or "Angels John" depending on his mood that day.

Written By: Howard on 10/14/05 at 3:42 pm

You *can* legally change your name if you so choose to do.

There once was a guy from my former hometown, who petitioned the court to change his name to "God Almighty", they wouldn't let him do *that*, so then he decided to change it to "Angel John" or "Angels John" depending on his mood that day.

That also means I would need a sex change.Robin wouldn't like that ::)

Written By: Dominic L. on 10/14/05 at 4:11 pm

Another one is... Isaac. There you go Andrew!

Written By: Step-chan on 10/14/05 at 4:17 pm

Probably Harry

Oh, that reminds me, you have the same name as my dad(Howard's your real name, right?).

Written By: Alchoholica on 10/14/05 at 4:35 pm

ARRRGGHHHAHAHAHAAHHA!

My mate Nick just told me he was going to be called Percy after his dad's uncle.

ARRRGHHAHAHAHAHAHHA!!!

Written By: Bobby on 10/14/05 at 4:37 pm

ARRRGGHHHAHAHAHAAHHA!

My mate Nick just told me he was going to be called Percy after his dad's uncle.

ARRRGHHAHAHAHAHAHHA!!!

Coronation Street reference coming up:

"Would ya lark a cup o' tea, Perc'eh?"  ;D

Written By: Alchoholica on 10/14/05 at 4:38 pm

Coronation Street reference coming up:

"Would ya lark a cup o' tea, Perc'eh?"  ;D

*andy looks on blank faced, the only recognition he gives is to stare quzically at Bob*

Written By: Bobby on 10/14/05 at 4:40 pm

*andy looks on blank faced, the only recognition he gives is to stare quzically at Bob*

Ah well. If you don't remember Phyllis (old woman, blue rinse, fancied Percy Sugden) from Coronation Street . . .

Written By: loki 13 on 10/14/05 at 4:58 pm

I asked my mother this question and she assured me that
she had no girl names picked out.She was sure she was having
a boy.The name she chose for me however is not my given name.
She wanted me to be Timothy Joseph,my Grandmother wanted
Kevin Michael,my Grandmother won.

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 10/15/05 at 9:38 am

Michael's such a gay middle name...  ;D

Boy, I'm glad we don't know anybody with a middle name of Michael...

I don't see how being happy has anything to do with it, Justin.

Written By: Dominic L. on 10/15/05 at 4:54 pm

I don't see how being happy has anything to do with it, Justin!

there you go

Written By: Howard on 10/15/05 at 5:25 pm

Oh, that reminds me, you have the same name as my dad(Howard's your real name, right?).

yes It Is Step.

Written By: Miss Tainted on 10/15/05 at 6:39 pm

My parents didn't have any boy names picked out for me, my mom wanted to name me Katherine and my dad wanted to name me Pilar because he was hispanic.  ::) thank God my mom didn't let that happen, so she asked my brother and grandmother and they picked Jaclyn. Eh, I still wish she stuck with her first idea.

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 10/15/05 at 10:53 pm

there you go

Hey, Thanks, Dom! *thumbs up*

Written By: Howard on 11/01/05 at 6:35 am

Henrietta Starr  ;D

Written By: ADH13 on 01/18/09 at 2:19 pm

Bump for newer members.  I like reading the responses. :)

Written By: statsqueen on 01/18/09 at 3:05 pm

Not a new member, but since it was bumped.....

As you know, I was adopted so my parents knew what they were getting.  However, I was supposed to be named Sarah.  The story goes that one of my mom's brothers made a comment that made my mom so angry, they decided on Amy.  Wish he would have said something to prevent my middle name, which if I were honest, I couldn't even tell you why I don't like it.  ::)

Micah's dad was convinced she was going to be a boy.  Name would have been Tyrone with something J for middle name (my idea of James was voted down b/c it was his stepdad's name), so I could have a TJ.  We had a list a mile long of boy names and only 1 girl name, Victoria (no, don't know why).  Then I was reading a novel and came across Micah.  Read it as Meeka and thought it was pretty (too bad I wasn't more familiar with bible to know book of Micah--boy's name).  Always liked the name Renee.  So she became Micah Renee.  :)

Written By: ninny on 01/18/09 at 3:35 pm

I got the name Janine because I was born before my cousin Judene,who was suppose to have my name.
I wanted to name Tim Jr. Sean Patrick,but my husband said it sounded to femme (I'm being nice here)
Melissa Louise was named after Melissa Gilbert(Little House) and my mother.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 01/18/09 at 3:41 pm

Had my parent adopted a boy they would have gone with the name Steven Francis.

Written By: statsqueen on 01/18/09 at 5:45 pm

I got the name Janine because I was born before my cousin Judene,who was suppose to have my name.
I wanted to name Tim Jr. Sean Patrick,but my husband said it sounded to femme (I'm being nice here)
Melissa Louise was named after Melissa Gilbert(Little House) and my mother.

:-X  Don't tell Sean Patrick Thomas!  ;)

Written By: danootaandme on 01/18/09 at 5:53 pm

So one day at the beach there was this loud ignorant broad calling her kids "Lexus!  Diamante!  it's time to go, come on Lexus!! Diamante!! come on, I'm not joking"  She wasn't joking, she was the joke, but sadly the joke is on those kids.

Written By: statsqueen on 01/18/09 at 7:26 pm

So one day at the beach there was this loud ignorant broad calling her kids "Lexus!  Diamante!  it's time to go, come on Lexus!! Diamante!! come on, I'm not joking"  She wasn't joking, she was the joke, but sadly the joke is on those kids.

Reminds me of a line on "Beauty Shop" w/ Queen Latifah.  Anyhow, I was waiting for a meeting and heard 2 students talking.  One's name was Dia and she was talking to a girl who has a friend Diamante (said it is "diamond" in Spanish).  I totally get what you are saying, though.  You're right about the kids.

Written By: Howard on 01/18/09 at 9:02 pm

Henrietta Starr 

Written By: Morton on 01/19/09 at 9:17 pm

I'm very thankful for my mam having some common sense and naming me after my dad (Both names)

Should my dad have had his way, you may well be speaking to Blue or Rex. I'm being deathly serious, he wanted to name me either Rex or Blue. My life wouldn't have been worth living

Written By: Howard on 01/20/09 at 6:47 am

I'm very thankful for my mam having some common sense and naming me after my dad (Both names)

Should my dad have had his way, you may well be speaking to Blue or Rex. I'm being deathly serious, he wanted to name me either Rex or Blue. My life wouldn't have been worth living

But what if you were a girl Dak?  ???

Written By: Morton on 01/20/09 at 6:54 am

But what if you were a girl Dak?  ???

Probably something equally as stupid, like Red or Lady I would wager

Written By: Howard on 01/20/09 at 7:01 am

Probably something equally as stupid, like Red or Lady I would wager

I like Red,nice name for a girl.

Check for new replies or respond here...