inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Your typing style

Written By: YWN on 10/08/05 at 3:46 pm

How do you type?  For instance, I'll type "hehe..." (as opposed to the standard "LOL") and when I quote somebody, I'll usually delete a bunch of lines and leave only the most relevant part.

I also don't care for emoticons, which tends to get me in trouble with people when they don't understand that I'm just kidding.

Subject: Re: Your typing style

Written By: EthanM on 10/08/05 at 3:49 pm

I thought this would be about style of actual typing, as in I use one finger for the most part but will use a second for the shift or space bar. The actual topic is a lot more complicated but i usually type things out.

Written By: YWN on 10/08/05 at 3:51 pm

I'd also like to add that I hate shorthand internet speak.

Written By: Bobby on 10/08/05 at 3:51 pm

I usually type in short paragraphs and my sentences are either short or convoluted.  ;D

I like to use emoticons as they give an indicator of my mood while writing and also like to describe how I laugh too whether it be a hearty 'ha ha' or a giggly 'tee hee'.

Written By: whistledog on 10/08/05 at 3:51 pm

I also only put the relevant parts in the quote.  I sometimes use shortcuts instead of typing words out "B coz I'm a Lazy SOB + it takes 2 long 2 type out whole words"   ;D

I use only two fingers when I type, I look at the keyboard when I type, and I can type almost as fast as Jennifer on WKRP in Cincinnati   ;D

Written By: YWN on 10/08/05 at 3:53 pm

The way I actually type on the keyboard is the standard version with all fingers and I type pretty damn fast.

Written By: NullandVoid on 10/08/05 at 3:58 pm

I only say what's necessary and I try to keep my grammar in check.

Written By: whistledog on 10/08/05 at 6:01 pm

I remember the day my keyboard broke, I cut and pasted letters one by one just to work my way around the internet.  It was a challenge, but one I mastered  8)

Written By: Dumb Ass Kid on 10/08/05 at 6:01 pm

I type quicly and precisely... I don't make many errors. (in other words I type in the complete opposite to the way I speak!)  ;D

Written By: whistledog on 10/08/05 at 6:03 pm

Uh... doesn't your computer have a soft (on-screen) keyboard?

nope  :(

Written By: Paul on 10/08/05 at 6:04 pm

Well, like the thousand monkeys and typewriters, I just throw these letters together and something comes out...!

I NEVER USE CAPITALS...YOU HEAR ME?!!

Nor emoticons - I'm just not an 'emoticon' sort-of bloke...

Nor semi-colons; can't see much use for 'em;;;

And, of course, you'll know it's me...just look for the trademark three dots...

Written By: YWN on 10/08/05 at 6:24 pm

I use semi-colons a lot; I don't see why other people don't use them more often.  You're not supposed to connect two clauses with a comma; I guess I'm a grammar freak.

Written By: Dumb Ass Kid on 10/08/05 at 6:25 pm

I use semi-colons a lot; I don't see why other people don't use them more often.  You're not supposed to connect two clauses with a comma; I guess I'm a grammar freak.

You guess?!  ;D

Written By: YWN on 10/08/05 at 6:26 pm

You guess?!  ;D

I don't know; do you think so?

Written By: Dumb Ass Kid on 10/08/05 at 6:28 pm

I don't know; do you think so?

Nah; Not at all

Written By: YWN on 10/08/05 at 6:30 pm

Nah; Not at all

Geez, could have just used a comma there; you're overdoing it now.

Written By: Dumb Ass Kid on 10/08/05 at 6:35 pm

Geez, could have just used a comma there; you're overdoing it now.

What's with your new photo? It's really froging scarey, man!  :o

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 10/08/05 at 6:45 pm

I is Typ al lyk dis;;;;;  ::) ??? 8) :o :( :D :) :) ;) :-[ :P and is use lots ov, coma,s and smilees,,,  :-X :-* :-\\ ??? ??? 8) :o >:( :D

Written By: YWN on 10/08/05 at 6:48 pm

What's with your new photo? It's really froging scarey, man!  :o

I think so too.  It looks much better than my old avatar which you said looked homocidal.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 10/08/05 at 7:14 pm

I generally type in full sentances or I'll use a style I have accidently adopted from my Aunt, which will include several periods at the end of a sentance, indicating I am not quite finished with what I'm saying - like this....

I also try to be as concise as possible when I type, as to not go too far off topic or throw people off.

I type pretty fast, too, so I could spout off a lot if I wanted to, lol.

Oh, and onto emotions and stuff, I'll use the smiley faces if it fits the situation. I'll use "LOL" if I think something is just funny as heck. Sometimes, I'll use "haha" as a means of being sarcastically funny.

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 10/08/05 at 7:22 pm

I like to type reasonably normally, with decent grammer, spelling, sentence structure and punctuation (Although I have been known to make a few mistakes  ::)). I tend to use smilies a bit, mainly to show better what my mood is. (Eg:  ::) usually means sarcasm etc)

If I'm laughing I prefer a simple haha or hehe as opposed to lol or lmao. (Or (when I'm here) I use this:  ;D)

I quite often use brackets (to better say what it is I'm getting across)

I only type with 2 fingers, yet I type faster than some people who type with all their fingers.

I also very rarely use standard fonts or colours... I like my text to look different from the rest.

Written By: Apricot on 10/08/05 at 8:44 pm

I'm the unholy master of "..." and commas.. especially commas. I use them like crazy.

I use  :D and  ;D to get my points across, cause people used to not understand my humor.. I don't really like any other emoticons.. I hate  ::)  because I don't like condescendingnesseseseseses... meh.

Oh yeah, I use "meh" and "Oh well" a lot, too.

Written By: YWN on 10/08/05 at 10:09 pm

I don't use the "..." a lot on the forums, I but I begin and end practically every sentence with it on AIM.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 10/08/05 at 10:14 pm

I try to type as proper as I can.....but I use those dot dot dots a lot......(see). i really hate capitalizing sometimes on messageboards.

As for my typing skills.....I took keyboarding in high school...and ever since then....I have been able to type fast and somewhat accurately.

Erin :)

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/09/05 at 1:46 am

I do use different fingers when typing, but not to the acquired practice in touch typing.

Written By: Dominic L. on 10/09/05 at 1:59 am

I... use a lot of "...'s" and I

put two spaces in between a lot of my lines...

::) :) I use emoticons... and hate shorthand unless it's ttyl or g2g, which I use a lot.

I also hate incorrect grammar and speeling

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/09/05 at 2:00 am

I also hate incorrect grammar and speeling
;D

when typing it is almost gauranteed there will be a mis-spelling, but is amended before posting.

Written By: Marty McFly on 10/09/05 at 11:04 am

Cool topic. :)

I guess mine is a little different at times, but most often, I'm pretty anal about grammar and punctuation - not even always conciously, just 'cause I've done it that way so long that it comes naturally to me.

I usually also try to do a new paragraph every 3-5 lines and/or when a new subject comes up.

Graemlins - I use 'em more now than I used to. This sounds silly, but I only started knowing HOW to use them about 3 years ago. Consequently, before this, I tended to get misread online quite a bit - for instance, people didn't know I was joking if I didn't do an "LOL" or "haha" "Hehe" etc.

^ However, I try not to "overload" on 'em either. Just one per paragraph and maybe no more than 3 or 4 in even a long post. I like the "happier" ones (smile, laugh, cheesy, wink, etc).

I type faster than I used to (probably a result of going to more message boards now, as well as being on AIM where it's "live"), but still I'm probably no more than average speed.

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 10/09/05 at 12:32 pm

And, of course, you'll know it's me...just look for the trademark three dots...

I think I've started to pick that up from you... :D

Written By: Howard on 10/10/05 at 6:53 pm

15 WPM ::)

Written By: YWN on 10/11/05 at 10:25 am

I think I'm somewhere around...160 words per minute?

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/11/05 at 10:55 am

...but how many are spelt correctly?

Written By: Dumb Ass Kid on 10/11/05 at 11:01 am

I type really quickly, but if I make a mistake I always go back, delete the mispelt word and rewrite it, otherwise i'd be around 1593-753901753901753590790157590753097530 words a minute!  ;D

Written By: karen on 10/11/05 at 11:02 am

I never conciously had a particular 'style'.  Unless people here have noticed one?

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/11/05 at 11:04 am

Trival question:

When typping and a wrong is spelt wrongly, do you, move the cusor over the errogenous erroneous letter and change the single letter, or do you find yourself hit the back button, erasing the letter that preceded it and starting re-typing the word again?

Written By: karen on 10/11/05 at 11:07 am

If I spot that I have typed a word incorrectly then I sometimes delete the whole word using the backspace and sometimes I move the cursor to only delete the erroneous letter.  It generally depends on when I spot the typo.  If I noticed my fingers going wrong as I am typing then I use the backspace method.  If I do not spot the mistake until the end of typing the message then I use the mouse/cursor method.

Written By: Bobby on 10/11/05 at 11:08 am

I never conciously had a particular 'style'.  Unless people here have noticed one?

You have an orthodox style  - very easy to read.  :)

Written By: karen on 10/11/05 at 11:10 am

You have an orthodox style  - very easy to read.  :)

I'm always worried the grammar police are going to come and tell me off!

Written By: Bobby on 10/11/05 at 11:13 am

I'm always worried the grammar police are going to come and tell me off!

Don't worry. My grammar gets convoluted at times - she has regular rests though.  ;) ;D

Written By: YWN on 10/11/05 at 11:53 am

Trival question:

When typping and a wrong is spelt wrongly, do you, move the cusor over the errogenous erroneous letter and change the single letter, or do you find yourself hit the back button, erasing the letter that preceded it and starting re-typing the word again?

The latter, for I always catch myself.

Written By: MLB on 10/12/05 at 3:27 pm

I am very good at it. it is almost professional about 40 words per min. Although i am doing something wrong in my wrist placement because after answering questions like this for more than an hour my hands start hurting. :(

Written By: nally on 10/12/05 at 3:40 pm

I thought this would be about style of actual typing, as in I use one finger for the most part but will use a second for the shift or space bar. The actual topic is a lot more complicated but i usually type things out.

Same here. I like to type things out. Especially in the PBG threads; most notably, anytime I mention the band Creedence Clearwater Revival. (I know that typing the initials, CCR, takes a lot less time, but I prefer to spell it out when i mention one of their songs or the band itself. After all, they never did record under the acronym.)

Also, I like to make sure that all my sentences have proper spelling and capitalization. (ACcidentally holding down the shift key while typing the second letter in a sentence (or proper name), like I did for this one, is something I have to correct right away.)

I don't know exactly what my typing speed is now, but when I first took a typing class, during the summer before my senior year of high school, my speed was rather low. (Before then, I was probably the world's slowest typer, having to look at the keyboard while using only my index and middle fingers on the keys.) Now I'm pretty efficient, still making booboos now and then (my finger will accidentally strike the wrong key), but not nearly as many as I did eight years ago.

Written By: Apricot on 10/12/05 at 4:13 pm

I can type 394 words a minute. Observe

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
"a" is a word. I get credit.  ;D

I'm, accurately, 80 WPM, I think.

Written By: Howard on 10/12/05 at 4:43 pm

5-10 WPM ::) ;D

Check for new replies or respond here...