inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: "Age switching" game.

Written By: Marty McFly on 10/19/05 at 6:41 pm

Another thread from the BTTF board some time back, I thought I'd try out here.

They were asking what it would be like if Marty & Doc switched ages. In other words, Marty is 17 in 1985 (born 1968). Doc is 65 (born 1920).

So essentially, if Marty from 2033 met Doc from 1937, they would be in "reversed age" - we were thinking about what it would be like, and how they might get along, etc.

I know it's kinda hard because we can't travel through time to know what the younger person will be like in the future at the older person's current age, but just going on a "most likely" basis, we could use it on anyone, including us here.

I'll let someone else start (btw, if you don't get it, don't feel bad - I love these things, and I didn't even fully get it originally, LOL). ;)

Subject: Re: "Age switching" game.

Written By: Dominic L. on 10/19/05 at 6:54 pm

so would doc say things like "heavy?"

Written By: Marty McFly on 10/19/05 at 7:05 pm

^I thought about that, but probably not (at age 35 in 1955 he thought it meant part of the Earth's gravitational pull, LOL!).  :D

Some fanfictions have suggested Doc was part of a wealthy family, and he spent his childhood as more of a lonely kid, just staying to himself inventing things and kinda considered a weirdo by peers/teachers. When he was a teen, apparently more girls who went out with him were more interested in his family's money than him.

Of course this is all fictional and not "BTTF canon" but it sounded plausible in a way to me.

Maybe if they met in opposite ages, the 65 year old Marty (after the end of Part 3) would be a cool senior citizen rock star-type who would encourage shy teenage Doc to make friends. Young Doc would be even more energetic and would show off all his scientific inventions to the older Marty? Just an idea.

I think I might've lost a few of you in those paragraphs. ;D

Written By: Dominic L. on 10/19/05 at 7:15 pm

^I thought about that, but probably not (at age 35 in 1955 he thought it meant part of the Earth's gravitational pull, LOL!).  :D

Some fanfictions have suggested Doc was part of a wealthy family, and he spent his childhood as more of a lonely kid, just staying to himself inventing things and kinda considered a weirdo by peers/teachers. When he was a teen, apparently more girls who went out with him were more interested in his family's money than him.

Of course this is all fictional and not "BTTF canon" but it sounded plausible in a way to me.

Maybe if they met in opposite ages, the 65 year old Marty (after the end of Part 3) would be a cool senior citizen rock star-type who would encourage shy teenage Doc to make friends. Young Doc would be even more energetic and would show off all his scientific inventions to the older Marty? Just an idea.

I think I might've lost a few of you in those paragraphs. ;D

makes more sense than your first post here  ;D

Written By: Marty McFly on 10/19/05 at 7:16 pm

^ At least I'm improving. :) ;D

Written By: Dominic L. on 10/19/05 at 7:22 pm

^ At least I'm improving. :) ;D

Well, it's just your explanation... I'm very confused by this thread

Written By: Marty McFly on 10/19/05 at 7:29 pm

Well, it's just your explanation... I'm very confused by this thread

No problem, lol.

I just meant, we could take two people from right now at different ages, and try to think how similar or different it would be if they met each other at the age of the other person.

So, to use a short example -- when I was 7 my best friend at the time was 11. Unfortunately we lost touch, but in real life, he was like a combination of a friend and a semi guardian. He kinda helped me socialize and things like that.

I now try to imagine how my 11 year old self would've interacted with his 7 year old self, providing the "old" me time travelled back then. Would he have thought of me that way. How different would it be, etc?

Okay I know I'm rambling now. ;D

Written By: Dominic L. on 10/19/05 at 7:48 pm

uh... somebody say something about einstein and ... i dunno

Written By: Howard on 10/20/05 at 3:51 pm

I still don't understand this game

Written By: Apricot on 10/20/05 at 8:00 pm

Me neither.

Written By: C.NOIZE on 10/20/05 at 8:11 pm

I still don't understand this game

Me neither.

I do!

First of all, it's not really a game.  Just something interesting to think about.

Your supposed to take two people of different ages who are friends.  Then flip their ages.  So, in the case of Doc and Marty, you're going to pretend that Doc was 17 and Marty was 65.  Now, assume that the elder of the two travels back through time and becomes friends with the younger of the two.  The point of the thread is to conjecture how their relationship would be different (or the same).

So, Andrew, in the case of you and Lauren, you would pretend that when you become a senior, you go back in time to when Lauren was a sophomore.  And then you would consider how the relationship would be different.  That's not quite as big a difference in age as Doc and Marty, but it's the same concept.

Howard, I would explain this to you in terms of you and Robin, but I don't know either of you too well.  So just try to use what I said above to figure it out.

Written By: Marty McFly on 10/20/05 at 9:31 pm

^ Well said, Noize! :)

That's exactly what I meant - just worded a bit better, lol.

Written By: Apricot on 10/21/05 at 2:04 pm

So, Andrew, in the case of you and Lauren, you would pretend that when you become a senior, you go back in time to when Lauren was a sophomore.  And then you would consider how the relationship would be different.  That's not quite as big a difference in age as Doc and Marty, but it's the same concept.

Oooooh, way to put it into an analogy I understand! I see now.

In that situation... it'd be a little creepier, cause I was dating a younger lady.. and it seems like that's looked down upon.

Written By: Howard on 10/21/05 at 2:07 pm

If Robin was born in 1979 that would make me 5 years old and I would actually be talking to a baby Robin who I never knew at the time.Is that how you play it? ???

Written By: Marty McFly on 10/22/05 at 3:55 pm

If Robin was born in 1979 that would make me 5 years old and I would actually be talking to a baby Robin who I never knew at the time.Is that how you play it? ???

Err, sort of. Let me explain:

You're 31, right? (Born in 1974). So Robin would be 26 now, I assume?

Well, wait until Robin is 31 (in 2010), then, let's say she takes a time machine back to 2000, when you are 26.

Upon the 31 year old Robin meeting the 26 year old Howard (each of your ages reversed from what they are now), how would you guys get along? What would be the same or be different from how things are now?

Granted that's not much of an age difference -- and this isn't even possible anyway -- but I always thought it was a cool thing to speculate on. :)

Written By: Paul on 10/23/05 at 10:48 am

Upon the 31 year old Robin meeting the 26 year old Howard (each of your ages reversed from what they are now), how would you guys get along? What would be the same or be different from how things are now?

I bet I can guess one thing that won't have altered...!!

Written By: Apricot on 10/23/05 at 10:55 am

I bet I can guess one thing that won't have altered...!!

Ooooh, ooooh, what would THAT be?

Written By: Howard on 10/23/05 at 4:42 pm

Err, sort of. Let me explain:

You're 31, right? (Born in 1974). So Robin would be 26 now, I assume?

Well, wait until Robin is 31 (in 2010), then, let's say she takes a time machine back to 2000, when you are 26.

Granted that's not much of an age difference -- and this isn't even possible anyway -- but I always thought it was a cool thing to speculate on. :)

In 2000,I would be dating an older woman and most likely to get laid,I hope and we would've been celebrating 5 years with each other but at that time I wasn't thinking about marriage but knowing her she probably would've been. ::)

Check for new replies or respond here...