inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Posing as former members... not appreciated

Written By: ChuckyG on 10/24/05 at 12:44 pm

I deleted several threads in this forum from the weekend that featured some tasteless posing as former site members.  It might have seemed funny at the time, but I'm not laughing, and neither are a few other members.

The act of pretending to be the other person wouldn't have been so bad on it's own, but the comments made as the person were in poor taste (making fun of their deceased son, etc).  Cowardly crap that people would have never done if the person was still an active member here.

Subject: Re: Posing as former members... not appreciated

Written By: Apricot on 10/24/05 at 2:03 pm

Well, naturally they wouldn't have done it when he was here. That's just rude and inflammatory.

Honestly, this wouldn't be an issue if it weren't for how much we had to hold back when he was here. There's this severe build-up of mockery.. hence the "Subway" explosion and all the crap like that.

It's not right, but I can see why it happened. I figured it was one tasteless joke that just needed to be gotten out of the way with.

Written By: danootaandme on 10/24/05 at 2:27 pm

I'm with Chucky on this. I found some of the comments absolutely heartless, and was kinda
surprised by it.  There is fun, sarcasm, and cruelty.  Too many of the posts came down to
cruel.  Just because he can't post doesn't mean he can't read.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 10/24/05 at 2:29 pm

I agree, it's not in good taste...  ::)

Written By: Apricot on 10/24/05 at 2:50 pm

I'm with Chucky on this. I found some of the comments absolutely heartless, and was kinda
surprised by it.  There is fun, sarcasm, and cruelty.  Too many of the posts came down to
cruel.

It wasn't RIGHT, I just see WHY.

Just because he can't post doesn't mean he can't read.

Hmm.. do you really think he's sticking around to see what's said about him?

Honestly, I probably would.

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 10/24/05 at 2:51 pm

I made several comments the other night that, while they seemed funny at the time, now looking back, are rather tasteless. And I agree with you comments that a few posts were indeed in bad taste (posting about his deceased son etc), and I apologize for anything I said that fitted into this category.

I too am quite surprised by how heartless some of those comments were, especially seeing as me and Mark got on quite well. So yes, if Mark (and anyone else I offended) is reading this, my deepest apologies for any xcomments I made that might've been offensive.  :)

Written By: FaultyDog on 10/24/05 at 3:45 pm

I'm not too proud of what I did too. :-did cross a line somewhere.
There was no need to emphasize the name of a certain chain of fastfood restaurants in my post. I should have known better.

To anyone who I may have offended: I hereby offer you my sincere apologies.

Written By: Howard on 10/24/05 at 4:26 pm

Why would someone want to do such a thing? >:(

Written By: nally on 10/24/05 at 5:46 pm

I found it rather funny at first as it seemed innocent enough, but I didn't see it before it got out of control; but I completely understand that it was tasteless on the account of making fun of former member's deceased son. Nothing is funny about that - no matter who the person is.

Nicely said. This kind of thing is not nice.

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 10/24/05 at 5:48 pm

I found it rather funny at first as it seemed innocent enough, but I didn't see it before it got out of control; but I completely understand that it was tasteless on the account of making fun of former member's deceased son. Nothing is funny about that - no matter who the person is.
Yes, I agree.  :P

Written By: Suicidal Blonde on 10/24/05 at 6:11 pm

I admit to saying the word subway. But I did not see the rest of the thread getting out of hand. I would NEVER make fun of a deceased peson. PERIOD!

Written By: Dumb Ass Kid on 10/24/05 at 6:13 pm

I didn't particularly find all the Subway references funny, and out of respect I didn't join in (I've lost a close family member myself, and I know i'd lose it if everybody started posting the word 'HOUSEFIRE' in bold capitals  >:(

Written By: nally on 10/24/05 at 6:14 pm

I admit to saying the word subway. But I did not see the rest of the thread getting out of hand. I would NEVER make fun of a deceased peson. PERIOD!

Neither would I.

Written By: Apricot on 10/24/05 at 6:34 pm

I didn't particularly find all the Subway references funny, and out of respect I didn't join in (I've lost a close family member myself, and I know i'd lose it if everybody started posting the word 'HOUSEFIRE' in bold capitals  >:(

Well, you didn't spend a good part of several years not letting anyone say "housefire".

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/24/05 at 6:35 pm

Again....I missed the weekend excitement :-\\

That's ok. I was here and I still missed it.  :-\\

Cat

Written By: Dumb Ass Kid on 10/24/05 at 6:36 pm

Well, you didn't spend a good part of several years not letting anyone say "housefire".

True... but I agree with Chucky that it did go a bit far... which was a tad disrespectful...  :-\\

Written By: Dominic L. on 10/24/05 at 6:47 pm

Does this count for the "impersonate a member" thread? Or just.. the Mark thing?

I don't remember actually making fun of his son, maybe I did... Can't recall.. but you gotta admit, he WAS getting offended too easily.

But I do apologize if I'm wrong and I did make fun of his son dying...

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 10/24/05 at 6:57 pm

I agree with what Andrew said. Maybe it wasn't right, what we did---but yeah, I can see why it happened.

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 10/24/05 at 7:22 pm

True... but I agree with Chucky that it did go a bit far... which was a tad disrespectful...  :-\\

Tad infers slightly, DAK, and it crossed the line way before that.

Interesting that some of the major players are still in denial mode - look at the thrust of the original post in this thread, people.  Look at the the people who are also saying they were put off by it and found it disturbing and unnecessary.

I am glad to see that some of those involved have at least had the decency to say in retrospect that it was wrong.

The avatar changer (and you know who you are) really needs to have a good look at themselves - that was just plain thoughtless.  ::)

Written By: Marty McFly on 10/24/05 at 8:01 pm

I agree with the others who said this wasn't right (even though I did not see any of the posts myself).

Everything else aside (including anything he was banned for), making fun of someone's deceased relative is wrong, no matter whom it's directed at.

Also, the whole "imitation post" thread I only made up in good fun to have fun.

Speaking from a neutral as possible side of the fence here, I think Mark truly was a good guy and I enjoyed him around here. As far as this goes, I don't think he intentionally set out to alienate anyone, it was just a very personal, painful thing for him. This is why he was very vocal and defensive about the "Subway" thing - IMO.

However, from everyone else's view, the only thing he may have tended to do that could be a little uncalled for, was going off on people (particularly newer and/or less frequent members) merely for mentioning they liked eating at Subway for instance, when they had no way of knowing his situation.

When I was new, I incidentally mentioned it, and when I found out, I inadvertantly felt bad about it and kinda guilty, like I'd done something wrong.

But then again, if I had a family member murdered in cold blood, I might be a little resentful towards the place too.

Written By: Apricot on 10/24/05 at 8:04 pm

^ I might be resentful, but I'm not gonna be mad when someone says "I like Subway.". HOWEVER, if it's "Shut up, your son got shot in a Subway!", then I'd be mad. Fine line between disrespect and simple, innocent conversation about something you might not like.

I personally didn't like RARF because of his martyr complex, his thinly-veiled insulting of half the board, his constant attention-grabbing behavior, and his constant backing away from fights he didn't think he could win (if you notice, RARF and I never fought.. he'd always say "Hey, I respect that...", where other people who said the same things I did got into HUGE fights with him).... so I was fine with a little mockery. But it did get tasteless.

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 10/24/05 at 8:07 pm

The avatar changer (and you know who you are) really needs to have a good look at themselves - that was just plain thoughtless.  ::)

I...really don't think that was the worst thing that was done, but hey, whatever. And, of course, harassing women on the boards is sooo acceptable, huh?

I'm sorry for what was done, I'm sorry for joining in... but I still think people take this message board too seriously.

Written By: Alchoholica on 10/24/05 at 8:08 pm

Re: Posing as former members... not appreciated

Posting as numerous misleading members... also not appreciated  ;)

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 10/24/05 at 8:10 pm

Re: Posing as former members... not appreciated

Posting as numerous misleading members... also not appreciated  ;)

Touche'

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 10/24/05 at 8:27 pm

I...really don't think that was the worst thing that was done, but hey, whatever. And, of course, harassing women on the boards is sooo acceptable, huh?

I'm sorry for what was done, I'm sorry for joining in... but I still think people take this message board too seriously.

All I am saying is that it was in poor taste.  Where have I ever said that what you talk about above is acceptable ?  ???  I do not find it so.  ??? ??? ???

What I am saying is that two wrongs don't make a right.  The very behaviours people complained about are the same ones being repeated in the threads that Chuck deleted/talked about.

The people who had an issue with the stuff that was going on have had their way, in as much as R&RF was banned.  Yet instead of being content with that, we get the stuff that led to Chuck posting this thread.  By his own statement, a number of members expressed concerns to him.

Not even that causes a change of tack.  Multiple people are saying it was wrong.  Yet the approach in here is to re-hash, yet again, the type of stuff you are being asked to let go.  A-la the last two posts, which is yet another dig.  Yes, we KNOW about the multiple membership, why bring it up yet again ?  See the analogy with the repeat behaviour ?  Why is it better when someone else does it ?

MKD, when you say people take the board too seriously, you may well have a point.  However, not everyone can treat it as a totally anonymous place where they can agree with the approach of "Of don't take it so hard, I didn't mean anything by it".  You are dealing with feelings here (like it or not) and you have a cross-section of people asking you to tone it down.

Written By: Dominic L. on 10/24/05 at 9:48 pm

When I was new, I incidentally mentioned it, and when I found out, I inadvertantly felt bad about it and kinda guilty, like I'd done something wrong.

same happened to me... it's not fair!

I mean... Even when I just said "I like to eat at Subway, it's my favorite restaurant" everyone would be like... "NO! DON'T SAY THAT! Mark.. is watching... and he'll get mad!"... and I'd be like, "what? What's wrong?"

He shouldn't hate the place, just the robber. at least lay off a little. but making fun of his son dying IS wrong... but we should be allowed to say Subway

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 10/24/05 at 10:02 pm

Correct me if I am wrong...but WHEN did someone actually make fun of his son being killed there? All I saw were people stressing the whole SUBWAY restaurant thing, for the simple reason once stated already that none of us were "allowed" to mention it before...so it was just the thought of perhaps, "getting it out of our systems" kinda thing.  Ok...I saw people pretend to be Mark (and poke fun saying things like...I hate Michael Jackson, or Hollyweird, etc), and Beth used his pic as an avatar...but I didn't see it really go any further than that.  Maybe I just missed something....but during the whole episode...when did someone come out and make fun of his deceased son or the fact that he got killed there??

Everybody had their fun, realized that it may have gone a bit too far, and recognized/apologized for it...but it's over now...no point in continuously pointing fingers or "tsk tsk" ing anyone any further. Life is too short.

Erin :)

Written By: YWN on 10/24/05 at 10:09 pm

Alright, I wasn't making fun of any deceased people.  To be honest, I didn't care why Mark didn't like Subway, but I thought it was insane that we weren't allowed to say it just because he had some issues with it.  When I was making my "Subway" posts, I wasn't (at least not directly) referring to his son's death, but I was making a point that we should be allowed to mention certain restaurants.

Written By: Dominic L. on 10/24/05 at 10:13 pm

Correct me if I am wrong...but WHEN did someone actually make fun of his son being killed there? All I saw were people stressing the whole SUBWAY restaurant thing, for the simple reason once stated already that none of us were "allowed" to mention it before...so it was just the thought of perhaps, "getting it out of our systems" kinda thing.  Ok...I saw people pretend to be Mark (and poke fun saying things like...I hate Michael Jackson, or Hollyweird, etc), and Beth used his pic as an avatar...but I didn't see it really go any further than that.  Maybe I just missed something....but during the whole episode...when did someone come out and make fun of his deceased son or the fact that he got killed there??

Everybody had their fun, realized that it may have gone a bit too far, and recognized/apologized for it...but it's over now...no point in continuously pointing fingers or "tsk tsk" ing anyone any further. Life is too short.

very well said

Written By: Dominic L. on 10/24/05 at 10:14 pm

Alright, I wasn't making fun of any deceased people.  To be honest, I didn't care why Mark didn't like Subway, but I thought it was insane that we weren't allowed to say it just because he had some issues with it.  When I was making my "Subway" posts, I wasn't (at least not directly) referring to his son's death, but I was making a point that we should be allowed to mention certain restaurants.

My thoughts exactly!

hmm... I'm a bit of a postwhore

Written By: nally on 10/24/05 at 10:48 pm

He shouldn't hate the place, just the robber. at least lay off a little. but making fun of his son dying IS wrong... but we should be allowed to say Subway

Maybe just being inside a Subway restaurant might remind him of the tragedy. But all the same, we shouldn't be forbidden to say it...even if it refers to something other than the resturant (like the underground transit railways in New York and Los Angeles (and other major cities), or a mid-90s R&B group).

Written By: whistledog on 10/24/05 at 10:57 pm

Maybe just being inside a Subway restaurant might remind him of the tragedy. But all the same, we shouldn't be forbidden to say it...even if it refers to something other than the resturant (like the underground transit railways in New York and Los Angeles (and other major cities), or a mid-90s R&B group).

or a really bizarre 1985 French film starring Christopher Lambert

Written By: ADH13 on 10/25/05 at 12:07 am

The people who had an issue with the stuff that was going on have had their way, in as much as R&RF was banned.   

I never saw any of the people you are referring to ever say or imply that RARF should be banned.  And I can say with almost 100% certainty that Beth, Dominic, Luke and the others that supposedly posted this stuff (I didn't see it personally) had nothing whatsoever to do with Mark being banned.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 10/25/05 at 12:10 am

I never saw any of the people you are referring to ever say or imply that RARF should be banned.  And I can say with almost 100% certainty that Beth, Dominic, Luke and the others that supposedly posted this stuff (I didn't see it personally) had nothing whatsoever to do with Mark being banned.

I agree Andrea.  I know for a fact that none of them ever even reported him or anything, even though his posts were annoying most of the time.

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 10/25/05 at 1:16 am

Here are my thoughts on the whole "Subway" subject....okay, I can understand losing a child is a painful experience and someone who HAS lost one does not want people to be mentioning it over and over.....BUT, IMO, if you don't want to see a particular word in someone's post about food, you DON'T put it in the title of the thread so every time you look at it, you are reminded of it.....and I distinctly recall at least 2 threads started by him that had it in the title ::)  Even though we're all adults here (well most of us are), when you tell someone they CAN'T do something, what's the first thing they are going to do?

I will readily admit to saying "Subway" in threads after he left and I won't apologize for it.....trust me, it doesn't even COMPARE to some of the things he said to me before he left >:(

Amen. I never thought of it that way.

Written By: Marty McFly on 10/25/05 at 3:43 am

Well said, Jeff.

I think anyone who knows me would say I always do my best to see things from both sides and kinda be the "peacekeeper" -- whether or not it's personal to me.

That said, as far as some of Mark's other inappropriate behavior on the board is concerned, I don't think the two things should be "interchangeable" with each other. Neither makes the other any more or any less right. So I won't turn this into a thread about the good and bad about the man himself - only the situation at hand.

Everything else negative he did on the board (which, for the record -- even though I did not personally see for the most part -- I agree wasn't acceptable) put aside for a second, I do very much feel for him as far as what happened to his son. I'm a caring person, so I do understand there.

However on the same token, I don't think it was right of him to "guilt" anyone for mentioning Subway. That's probably why people are "getting it out of their system" now, so to speak.

You can't express anger towards people who have no knowledge whatsoever of the incident, as tragic and painful as it was for him. Not everyone was gonna know about that their first day on the board.

Hope that made some sense. (Now, I'm gonna get back to goofing off, talking about the 80's and other "fun" stuff!) :)

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 10/25/05 at 5:20 am

Hmmm... this argument is getting a bit too far.

Things were said, some things went a bit far, the mods got onto it, expressed their dissapointment in the conversations had, warned us not to do it again, and that should be the end of it.

Lets move away from this and get back to chatting etc again.  ;)

- Peacemaker  :)

Written By: karen on 10/25/05 at 5:21 am

Hmmm... this argument is getting a bit too far.

Things were said, some things went a bit far, the mods got onto it, expressed their dissapointment in the conversations had, warned us not to do it again, and that should be the end of it.

Lets move away from this and get back to chatting etc again.  ;)

- Peacemaker  :)

My thoughts exactly

Written By: ChuckyG on 10/25/05 at 9:06 am

I agree with the drop it sentiment, though I guess posting again in the thread is counter to that sentiment.

It's not like I don't understand the frustration people were put under, of trying to avoid talking about Subway because Mark was around (and it was certainly hypocritical of him to mention it whenever HE felt like it, but complain when others did).  It is however something people do around friends in real life.  If you're at a party with people you know, and you know someone hates something, you avoid talking about it around them.  Here, it's a little different since every thread could essentially be a conversation joined by the person in question.  It's a small limitation of the medium in my opinion.

Combined with the avatar stuff, all at the same time though, and it looked like a huge hatefest to someone who might not now what was going on (or even people who did).

I'm not happy I had to ban him, but considering some of his recent behavoir problems here, it really couldn't be avoided for much longer.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/25/05 at 12:57 pm

Nice weather we are having.

Cat

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 10/25/05 at 1:00 pm

It's been wild winds and pouring rain here today, I look like I've been dragged through a hedge backwards!  ;D

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 10/25/05 at 1:03 pm

Snow!

Written By: whistledog on 10/25/05 at 1:36 pm

I want it to snow here  :\'(

Written By: Dumb Ass Kid on 10/25/05 at 1:47 pm

Ugh... it'll be snowing here in a couple of months  :P

Snow's all fine and well until you realise you have to go to school in it and you continually get pelted with snowballs which have been compressed so much that they're just blocks of ice! Which hurt...

Written By: nally on 10/25/05 at 1:49 pm

I seldom have snow where I live. I've only experienced it twice.

Written By: Dumb Ass Kid on 10/25/05 at 1:51 pm

Lucky git  ;D

Written By: ChuckyG on 10/25/05 at 1:53 pm

stop bragging

it's pouring rain here, almost coming down sideways at times... stupid hurricane.  I've got so much work to do in the yard as it is, this crappy weather is killing me.  Three weekends in a row ruined by the weather.  ugh.

Written By: nally on 10/25/05 at 1:55 pm

stop bragging

it's pouring rain here, almost coming down sideways at times... stupid hurricane. I've got so much work to do in the yard as it is, this crappy weather is killing me. Three weekends in a row ruined by the weather. ugh.

Hurricanes? You have them in Massachusets?

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 10/25/05 at 1:56 pm

I never have snow where I live!  :\'(

Written By: whitewolf on 10/25/05 at 1:59 pm

we usually start to get snow around here in November and the last storm is usually in April

Written By: Suicidal Blonde on 10/25/05 at 2:03 pm

I never have snow where I live!  :\'(

The same here

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/25/05 at 2:03 pm

stop bragging

it's pouring rain here, almost coming down sideways at times... stupid hurricane.  I've got so much work to do in the yard as it is, this crappy weather is killing me.  Three weekends in a row ruined by the weather.  ugh.

We have the same weather you are having.  ::)

Cat

Written By: Apricot on 10/25/05 at 2:09 pm

DON'T put it in the title of the thread so every time you look at it, you are reminded of it.....and I distinctly recall at least 2 threads started by him that had it in the title ::) 

THANK YOU. I've been saying this for months,

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 10/25/05 at 2:28 pm

stop bragging

It's so weird, it's like there's torrential rain and winds everywhere right now.  :o
I find it a bit spooky.

Written By: Howard on 10/25/05 at 5:07 pm

Why did Mark start to get upset every you'd mention Subway? ???

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 10/25/05 at 5:07 pm

*Inhale*

*Exhale*

Written By: YWN on 10/25/05 at 5:10 pm

Why did Mark start to get upset every you'd mention Subway? ???

His son was shot at a Subway.

Written By: Dumb Ass Kid on 10/25/05 at 5:13 pm

His son was shot at a Subway.

That's putting it subtly  ::)

Written By: Dominic L. on 10/25/05 at 5:30 pm

Howard... weren't YOU the one who told me about it?

I'm pretty sure you were...

Written By: ChuckyG on 10/25/05 at 6:48 pm

Hurricanes? You have them in Massachusets?

yes, but not as often as the southern states.  It's usually once every 20-30 years we get a big one that makes landfall.  Usually they just park off the coast somewhere and degrade into a Nor-easter. 

We also get tornadoes.  Once every 5 to 10 years a small one touches down somewhere every 30 or 40 years we get a deadly one. The 5th deadliest tornado on record in the US went throught Worcester, an F5.  Monster of a storm.

Earthquakes.. very rare, but there is a fault nearby. 

Blizzards we get more often than any of the above.  Usually every other winter we get at least one serious blizzard.  Every 20 years or so we get one that shuts everything down for a couple days.

I think you'd have to move to the most boring place in the world to avoid all that stuff above. 

Written By: Marty McFly on 10/25/05 at 9:06 pm

Hey Chuck, I'll trade with you, LOL!

I wish we had snow here in the SF Bay Area sometimes.

We also have a major earthquake every 30 years or so along the San Andreas fault. Of course, the October 17th 1989 one was a huge event (I lived near Santa Rosa, about 40 miles north of the city when it happened, and it was slightly less felt up there). I admit I don't look forward to it possibly happening again around 2020.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 10/26/05 at 2:26 am

Hey Chuck, I'll trade with you, LOL!

I wish we had snow here in the SF Bay Area sometimes.

We also have a major earthquake every 30 years or so along the San Andreas fault. Of course, the October 17th 1989 one was a huge event (I lived near Santa Rosa, about 40 miles north of the city when it happened, and it was slightly less felt up there). I admit I don't look forward to it possibly happening again around 2020.

Yeah, the earthquake of October 17th, 1989 was only 15 seconds long, but I will never forget where I was, what I was doing and how it felt!

Written By: karen on 10/26/05 at 3:29 am

yes, but not as often as the southern states.  It's usually once every 20-30 years we get a big one that makes landfall.  Usually they just park off the coast somewhere and degrade into a Nor-easter. 

We also get tornadoes.  Once every 5 to 10 years a small one touches down somewhere every 30 or 40 years we get a deadly one. The 5th deadliest tornado on record in the US went throught Worcester, an F5.  Monster of a storm.

Blizzards we get more often than any of the above.  Usually every other winter we get at least one serious blizzard.  Every 20 years or so we get one that shuts everything down for a couple days.

I think you'd have to move to the most boring place in the world to avoid all that stuff above. 

It's known as Britain!

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 10/26/05 at 3:31 am

It's known as Britain!
Or New Zealand... last time something exciting weather wise happened was... God, I can't even remember!  :o

Written By: karen on 10/26/05 at 3:34 am

Or New Zealand... last time something exciting weather wise happened was... God, I can't even remember!  :o

We were talking about bad snow storms a while ago and remembering the last serious one which shut down the place for a few days.  Anyway a colleague from Australia asked when it had happened because everyone spoke like it was two or three years ago.  It was actually 1990!!

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 10/26/05 at 3:37 am

We were talking about bad snow storms a while ago and remembering the last serious one which shut down the place for a few days. 
Reminds me of the small dumping of snow we had last month that practically closed half the city.  ::)

There are parts of the world that get blizzards and snowstorms for 3 months every year, yet we get a couple of hoursa of snow and everyone gets paranoid.  ::)

Written By: karen on 10/26/05 at 3:42 am

Reminds me of the small dumping of snow we had last month that practically closed half the city.  ::)

There are parts of the world that get blizzards and snowstorms for 3 months every year, yet we get a couple of hoursa of snow and everyone gets paranoid.  ::)

This was actually a really serious snow fall.  Not the little flurries that shut down London occasionally.  The snow brought down many power lines, trees, phone lines etc.  In my town the power was off for 3 days, in some more remote areas it was off for 3 weeks or more.

In some ways the generally small amount of snow we get here is what causes the problems.  A friend of mine is from Finland.  there they know once it snows that the snow is going to stay for a few months so everyone has studded snow tyres for their cars and skis for short journeys.  One day of confusion on the first day of snow and then everything is back to normal till the spring.  Here the snow sometimes doesn't even last one day.

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 10/26/05 at 3:47 am

This was actually a really serious snow fall.  Not the little flurries that shut down London occasionally.  The snow brought down many power lines, trees, phone lines etc.  In my town the power was off for 3 days, in some more remote areas it was off for 3 weeks or more.

In some ways the generally small amount of snow we get here is what causes the problems.  A friend of mine is from Finland.  there they know once it snows that the snow is going to stay for a few months so everyone has studded snow tyres for their cars and skis for short journeys.  One day of confusion on the first day of snow and then everything is back to normal till the spring.  Here the snow sometimes doesn't even last one day.

Yes, that sounds more serious than what we had.

"In some ways the generally small amount of snow we get here is what causes the problems" - that is pretty much the case here, I'd say. But on a bigger scale it seems ridiculous. We only get maybe 1 small snow storm a year, 2 if we're lucky. So we are not really prepared compared to others who get alot of snow for weeks on end. People here don't normally bother with snow tyres, chains, proper equipment etc as it would seem a waste of money. Hence why the city almost grinds to a halt during a small snow storm.

Written By: karen on 10/26/05 at 3:52 am

Yes, that sounds more serious than what we had.

"In some ways the generally small amount of snow we get here is what causes the problems" - that is pretty much the case here, I'd say. But on a bigger scale it seems ridiculous. We only get maybe 1 small snow storm a year, 2 if we're lucky. So we are not really prepared compared to others who get alot of snow for weeks on end. People here don't normally bother with snow tyres, chains, proper equipment etc as it would seem a waste of money. Hence why the city almost grinds to a halt during a small snow storm.

Some areas of Britain get more snow than others.  I think people who live in the Peak District, Lake District, Snowdonia and much of Scotland probably are a bit more prepared and have snow chains because they do get heavier falls being on the higher ground.  In Scotland I know a lot of the mountain passes are marked with poles for the snow plough to follow the road, I haven't noticed that paricular in the Peak District (which is fairly close to where I live).

Written By: whitewolf on 10/26/05 at 6:34 am

This reminds me of a person I met when I was a waitress.

It was at the end of Janruary, we just had a big storm the night before and he says that winter must be close to over for this area. I told him no that it has barely begun, we still had 2.5 to 3 more months to go.

he said that he was going to get on the next plane and go home. (he never said where he was from though) ;D

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 10/26/05 at 7:44 am

;D  If that happened where I lived, paranoia would at least be justified.  It has never snowed here (something to do with it being a sub-tropical climate or some such excuse)  :(

Written By: karen on 10/26/05 at 7:53 am

;D  If that happened where I lived, paranoia would at least be justified.  It has never snowed here (something to do with it being a sub-tropical climate or some such excuse)  :(

I'll post you some.  "they" are predicted a very severe winter for us this year.  Although, if I think about it, they said the same last winter and predicted a major heatwave this August.

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 10/26/05 at 8:06 am

I'll post you some.  "they" are predicted a very severe winter for us this year.  Although, if I think about it, they said the same last winter and predicted a major heatwave this August.

Well, our stinkin' weather just gets hotter every year, which is just dandy when for 2/3 of the year the humidity is insufferable  >:(  "Sunshine State" - pffsstt  ::)

Should call it the Cancer State  :o

Written By: karen on 10/26/05 at 8:12 am

Well, our stinkin' weather just gets hotter every year, which is just dandy when for 2/3 of the year the humidity is insufferable  >:(  "Sunshine State" - pffsstt  ::)

Should call it the Cancer State  :o

GOd, and they call us whingeing Poms!!  ;)

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 10/26/05 at 8:26 am

GOd, and they call us whingeing Poms!!  ;)

And for GOOD reasons, we should not forget  :P

"If the sun don't come, you'll get a tan from standing in the English rain"

Hmmm, Lennon started it  ;D

Written By: karen on 10/26/05 at 8:34 am

And for GOOD reasons, we should not forget  :P

"If the sun don't come, you'll get a tan from standing in the English rain"

Hmmm, Lennon started it  ;D

I don't recognise that line.

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 10/26/05 at 8:41 am

I don't recognise that line.

"I Am The Walrus"

Sitting in an English garden
Waiting for the sun
If the sun don't come, you'll get a tan
From standing in the English rain

I am the walrus
They are the walrus
I am the walrus
Goo Goo G'joob

:)

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 10/26/05 at 10:58 am

I totally understand what you're saying, Luke, because I'm in the same boat!  :-\\

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 10/26/05 at 11:02 am

Didn't it snow there last year?  Or am I thinking the wrong island?  Wait, you have snow on the caps....I've seen pictures of it (I think :-\\)

The Big Island gets snow on the summit of Moana Kea, but that's uninhabitable. 

Written By: Dumb Ass Kid on 10/26/05 at 11:08 am

Is posing as the ghost of former members allowed?  ;D

Written By: Paul on 10/26/05 at 11:09 am

I'll post you some.   "they" are predicted a very severe winter for us this year.  Although, if I think about it, they said the same last winter and predicted a major heatwave this August.

It's reckoned that there's a 2 in 3 chance that it will be as bad as the 1962/63 winter (the worst in living memory)...we shall see!

So, rather cheerfully, if the bird 'flu doesn't kill us, the cold weather will...!

Written By: karen on 10/26/05 at 11:11 am

Is posing as the ghost of former members allowed?  ;D

lol

Written By: karen on 10/26/05 at 11:13 am

It's reckoned that there's a 2 in 3 chance that it will be as bad as the 1962/63 winter (the worst in living memory)...we shall see!

So, rather cheerfully, if the bird 'flu doesn't kill us, the cold weather will...!

Better stock up on some tinned food then

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/26/05 at 11:17 am

Wow! I didn't know that I had such power. I made one little comment and now everyone is posting about the weather.  :D :D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: karen on 10/26/05 at 11:18 am

Wow! I didn't know that I had such power. I made one little comment and now everyone is posting about the weather.  :D :D ;D ;D

Cat

better than the previous discussion

Written By: YWN on 10/26/05 at 12:24 pm

That's exactly what I was thinking...  :o

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 10/26/05 at 1:43 pm

I thought I saw on the news last year where some school kids were playing in the snow?  It must've been somewhere else :-\\

I don't think that was in Hawaii... ???

Written By: nally on 10/26/05 at 1:46 pm

The only one of the above kinds of disasters we get is earthquakes. The biggest one I experienced happened 12 years ago this coming January.

Written By: FaultyDog on 10/26/05 at 3:44 pm

You mean The Netherlands..?

We don't have volcanos, we don't get earthquakes, we don't have a proper winter, we seldom get a proper summer, we whine about the wind when all we actually get is a breeze, compared to what some parts of the world have to endure,  there's little risk of a tsunami and the last blizzard we had was way back in 1979/1980 winter.
So basically: only by looking on the calendar you can tell what season it's supposed to be... ;D

Written By: Howard on 10/26/05 at 3:46 pm

What if people posed as me?  ;D

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 10/26/05 at 5:11 pm

What if people posed as me?  ;D

You'd lay the smack-down on their candy asses.

Written By: nally on 12/29/06 at 7:13 pm

I deleted several threads in this forum from the weekend that featured some tasteless posing as former site members.  It might have seemed funny at the time, but I'm not laughing, and neither are a few other members.

The act of pretending to be the other person wouldn't have been so bad on it's own, but the comments made as the person were in poor taste (making fun of their deceased son, etc).  Cowardly crap that people would have never done if the person was still an active member here.

Just thought I'd bump this up...something insane is going on on here right now.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 12/29/06 at 7:14 pm

Yeah and if you paid attention, no one is making derogatory or upsetting comments as that person.  We're just stealing avatars.  Furthermore, all the people are current members.  We're having fun.

Written By: Southern Image on 12/29/06 at 7:17 pm

They're just having fun Nally. Sometimes when it gets boring people do that.  ;) No one is harming anybody.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 12/29/06 at 7:19 pm

I agree. Has the whole world gone crazy?!?  >:(

Written By: Tia on 12/29/06 at 7:20 pm

I agree. Has the whole world gone crazy?!?  >:(
;D

nothing fun ever survives... the nally!

if fun is tokyo, nally is godzilla!

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 12/29/06 at 7:26 pm

They're just having fun Nally. Sometimes when it gets boring people do that.  ;) No one is harming anybody.
You capitalized his name.

DUCK!  :o :o :o

Written By: Tia on 12/29/06 at 7:27 pm

nally
Jeff is my real name
Website Editors
Opus

Karamel Sutra: 666

hmm....

Written By: spaceace on 12/29/06 at 7:30 pm

Not anymore. :)

Written By: nally on 12/29/06 at 7:34 pm

You capitalized his name.

DUCK!  :o :o :o

AFLAC!! ;D

(just had to get that out of my system.)

Written By: Tia on 12/29/06 at 7:35 pm

^bit late to pretend you have a sense of humor now, dude.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 12/29/06 at 7:36 pm

HA!

Subject: Re: I like to move it in M.C. Hammers Pan---oops, wrong thread!

Written By: nally on 12/29/06 at 7:38 pm

Yeah and if you paid attention, no one is making derogatory or upsetting comments as that person.  We're just stealing avatars.  Furthermore, all the people are current members.  We're having fun.

Oh okay. However, it don't matter if they're former or current, it just gets confusing. But if you read the second sentence of the first paragraph of Chucky's post which I quoted...ah, never mind. ::)

Written By: Tia on 12/29/06 at 7:40 pm

Oh okay. However, it don't matter if they're former or current, it just gets confusing. But if you read the second sentence of the first paragraph of Chucky's post which I quoted...ah, never mind. ::)
yeah yeah. talk to this.

http://www.leeasher.com/images/lee_hand.jpg

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 12/29/06 at 7:40 pm

...ah, never mind.

Hey, now you're getting it! =D

Written By: Apricot on 12/29/06 at 7:55 pm

Eh, wasn't funny, but not worth bringing this thing up.. I get the idea, but this isn't even in the right context.

Written By: Tia on 12/30/06 at 3:36 am

it was pretty funny if you were there. which you weren't.

http://m-w.com/dictionary/apple%20polisher

a picture of shakira would really add a lot to this definition, i figure.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 12/30/06 at 6:33 am

http://m-w.com/dictionary/apple%20polisher

a picture of shakira would really add a lot to this definition, i figure.
It was a little bit funny but I couldn't get into it. It seemed to be too much work just trying to figure out who was who. I wasn't oppposed to the activity as you guys all had a blast with it and I was at work and wasn't bored. It was humorously chaotic, but i really think all avatars should have been changed to Howard for the whole day  ;D

Written By: KKay on 12/30/06 at 9:16 am

i really think all avatars should have been changed to Howard for the whole day  ;D

genius!

Written By: Tia on 12/30/06 at 10:00 am

genius!
i tried but no one else would do it!

Written By: Apricot on 12/30/06 at 12:24 pm

i really think all avatars should have been changed to Howard for the whole day  ;D

Actually, I think something like this happened about 2-3 years ago one time.. we had at least 5 Howards.

I caught bits of it.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 12/30/06 at 5:42 pm

genius!
thanks, but see below

i tried but no one else would do it!
it was Tia (bad-mike)'s idea originally  :)

Written By: Howard on 12/31/06 at 8:43 am

It was a little bit funny but I couldn't get into it. It seemed to be too much work just trying to figure out who was who. I wasn't oppposed to the activity as you guys all had a blast with it and I was at work and wasn't bored. It was humorously chaotic, but i really think all avatars should have been changed to Howard for the whole day  ;D

You have my permission! ;D

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 12/31/06 at 12:54 pm

You have my permission! ;D
now that's the spirit Howard. thanks,. it'd be a gas. 

Written By: Howard on 01/02/07 at 9:59 am

now that's the spirit Howard. thanks,. it'd be a gas. 

I can't wait to see it.

Check for new replies or respond here...