inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: spring forward - fall back time

Written By: whitewolf on 10/30/05 at 9:22 am

Just wondering which countries observe the daylight saving time and fall back in the fall.

I am in Canada and we just reset our clocks back one-hour last night.

Subject: Re: spring forward - fall back time

Written By: Morton on 10/30/05 at 9:26 am

Here in the UK we set our clocks back an hour last night too

Written By: Paul on 10/30/05 at 9:52 am

Here in the UK we set our clocks back an hour last night too

And a bleedin' pain in the backside it is too...!!

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/30/05 at 9:54 am

I am use to it by now.

Written By: whistledog on 10/30/05 at 9:56 am

I wish all clocks would do it automatically  :\'(

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 10/30/05 at 9:57 am

I guess it's a good thing that you only have to do it once every six months then!

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/30/05 at 9:57 am

When I was working for the Post Office, on this corresponding Saturday night, we would all apply to do overtime, so that an extra hours' money was earned without doing anything.

Written By: Paul on 10/30/05 at 10:01 am

I guess it's a good thing that you only have to do it once every six months then!

It really doesn't need to be done at all...!

It was only brought in during World War I, in order to assist the farmers during the summer months, when they would acquire an extra slice of daylight...

But what it actually achieves in this day and age...

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/30/05 at 10:02 am

It was only brought in during World War I, in order to assist the farmers during the summer months, when they would acquire an extra slice of daylight...

Less rounds of golf played on golf courses?

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 10/30/05 at 10:03 am

I have heard people say that it's pretty useless nowadays.

Written By: Apricot on 10/30/05 at 11:31 am

All my clocks are those self-setters that reset in power outages.. they're also auto-programmed for Daylight Savings Time.

Written By: Tia on 10/30/05 at 11:57 am

i always like to get that extra hour but man, it was surreal this morning when i got up and the announcers on the radio were all giving the wrong time. i was like, man, why does no one but me know what time it is? i totally forgot this year.

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 10/30/05 at 1:22 pm

If I had it my way it'd be daylight savings all year round.

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 10/30/05 at 1:41 pm

^ Love your spooky avatar Mr Good Red Shirt

Hope everyone enjoyed the extra hours kip, I know I did.  ;D ;D

probably cos' I hadn't slept well for 3 nights previously??

Written By: Bobby on 10/30/05 at 1:44 pm

You know what's torture? When your place of employment hasn't turned the clocks back and you think you've only got half an hour to go but really you have an hour and a half!  ::)

Written By: Marian on 10/30/05 at 3:17 pm

Just wondering which countries observe the daylight saving time and fall back in the fall.

I am in Canada and we just reset our clocks back one-hour last night.
We did the same in san Jose,Ca.I wonder if anyone lives in Indiana?

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 10/30/05 at 3:45 pm

You know what's torture? When your place of employment hasn't turned the clocks back and you think you've only got half an hour to go but really you have an hour and a half!  ::)

Oh, no fun!  :P

Written By: FaultyDog on 10/30/05 at 3:52 pm

DST lasts seven months in The Netherlands (last weekend in March to last weekend in October), so time has gone back to normal just last night. Well, we don't call it "normal" - we call it "wintertijd" (wintertime), since we've grown used to referring to the seven months period of DST as "zomertijd" (summertime). Silly us! We never get summer OR winter in this country! ::)

Written By: Marian on 10/30/05 at 3:58 pm

DST lasts seven months in The Netherlands (last weekend in March to last weekend in October), so time has gone back to normal just last night. Well, we don't call it "normal" - we call it "wintertijd" (wintertime), since we've grown used to referring to the seven months period of DST as "zomertijd" (summertime). Silly us! We never get summer OR winter in this country! ::)
You don't???

Written By: Marty McFly on 10/30/05 at 4:16 pm

I have heard people say that it's pretty useless nowadays.

Technically it probably is, but I like it. Partly for a change of pace - we do get used to it after a week or so, and it's cool to have that extra hour of daylight (and, when it goes back, to have the extra hour's sleep, lol). :)

Written By: FaultyDog on 10/30/05 at 4:18 pm

You don't???

Well, not really. Because we're so close to the sea, we get mild summers and mild winters (which means both summer and winter are * boring * to say the least). Summers are ruined because it will never stay warm for a substantial consecutive number of days (due to western winds, causing rain) and winters are ruined because it seldomly freezes or snows for a substantial consecutive amount of days (due to western winds, causing rain). So basically, we get a lot of western winds causing rain (no substantial amounts, though). Not very exciting... :(

Written By: Paul on 10/30/05 at 4:48 pm

^
Well, if so-called 'expert' reports are to be believed, you (and most of Europe) will be getting a 'walloper' of a winter this year, Henk...

(I'd better go find some candles...!)

Written By: Bobby on 10/30/05 at 4:55 pm

Oh, no fun!  :P

The way our company works, the clocks will be put right just before the next time change.  ;D

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 10/30/05 at 5:36 pm

Well, not really. Because we're so close to the sea, we get mild summers and mild winters (which means both summer and winter are * boring * to say the least). Summers are ruined because it will never stay warm for a substantial consecutive number of days (due to western winds, causing rain) and winters are ruined because it seldomly freezes or snows for a substantial consecutive amount of days (due to western winds, causing rain). So basically, we get a lot of western winds causing rain (no substantial amounts, though). Not very exciting... :(
That's very much the same here. Being on a series of small islands in a temperate climate.

Written By: FaultyDog on 10/31/05 at 3:11 pm

^
Well, if so-called 'expert' reports are to be believed, you (and most of Europe) will be getting a 'walloper' of a winter this year, Henk...

(I'd better go find some candles...!)

We'll just have to wait and see... Like I said on another thread, the last time we had a blizzard was way back in 1979/1980 winter. And the last time winter was really "walloping"...was 1963. :o (I wasn't even born back then!)

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 10/31/05 at 3:16 pm

Can't be any more boring than the weather we get!  :P

Written By: Howard on 10/31/05 at 3:59 pm

Here in New York City,Everyone observes Daylight Savings Time.

Check for new replies or respond here...