inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: How old were you when you stopped trick-or-treating for Halloween?

Written By: Satish on 11/01/05 at 1:51 am

I was just wondering, how old was everyone when they stopped going trick-or-treating for Halloween? The last time I did it was when I was 15, which is probably a lot older than most people.

I wasn't even planning on going that night, actually. It was Halloween '95, and I was at home by myself. At the time, I wasn't really adjusting that well to being a teenager, and I was feeling a bit down. I didn't have anything to do, so I thought it might be fun to go around trying to get some candy. I put on this cheap cardboard mask that I had, grabbed a plastic bag, and was out the door.

I was bigger than most of the other kids who were out that night, so I was feeling a bit awkward. Some people whose doors I knocked on made a few remarks about how old I looked, like "Whoa, we got a big fella here!", but they were mostly pretty nice.

One guy who wasn't too nice, though, was this guy who lived on my street. He lived right next door to me actually, but I'd never met him before(I suppose one of the downsides of our post-modern world is that most of us don't know our neighbours). He wore glasses and he looked like he was in his late twenties or early thirties. When he opened the door, he looked at me with an angry scowl and asked me "How old are you?" So I said I was 15. He then pointed at me and snapped "Next time I see you, you're not getting any candy." That made me feel a bit uncomfortable. It was around then I realized that I probably shouldn't go trick-or-treating the following year.

Subject: Re: How old were you when you stopped trick-or-treating for Halloween?

Written By: ktelqueen on 11/01/05 at 1:56 am

i was 12 or 13  :)

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 11/01/05 at 2:16 am

Zero !

Never started  ;)

Strange overseas thing which has never taken on here  :o

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 11/01/05 at 2:29 am

Never did it.

Only really in the last 10 years has it slowly taken off, but it's still not a big thing down here.

Written By: Bobby on 11/01/05 at 2:58 am

Never did it due to religious beliefs.

Written By: mandamoo on 11/01/05 at 3:35 am

Have neither tricked nor treated

Written By: Bobby on 11/01/05 at 3:36 am

Have neither tricked nor treated

There are a lot of deprived people out there that haven't been treated by you, Moo.  ;) ;D

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 11/01/05 at 5:06 am

There are a lot of deprived people out there that haven't been treated by you, Moo.  ;) ;D

Eh what ?  :o  I read that as depraved the first time  :o

Written By: Apricot on 11/01/05 at 5:07 am

12. And I missed a year because my mom was scared of the terrorists.

Written By: Howard on 11/01/05 at 6:54 am

probably in my early teenage years then I stopped cause I got too old for it.  ;D

Written By: Marty McFly on 11/01/05 at 7:07 am

I'd just turned 11, back on Halloween in 1992.

I remember clear as a bell, wanting to go out with a bang. I'd already decided it was gonna be my last year - when I was a kid, I didn't like "kid" stuff, so I was pretty susceptible to the idea that "Oh, Trick or Treating is for babies" and everything else some of the older kids would say.

Anyway, I decided to do a Weird Al costume, since I was really into him at the time (and still am - the man is one of my heroes!). Hawaiian shirt, glasses, fake mustache and all. We also went out further, so I could go to houses I hadn't been in the previous couple years we lived there.

When people answered the door, I repeated a line either from one of Al's songs, or the movie UHF for instance (all in my best goofy Al voice of course!), just to see if people recognized it! Many did, which I thought was cool.

The other upside was that I got so much candy that I think we were still going through it that Thanksgiving! ;)

However, just as the old adage goes, "you don't know what you've got until it's gone", I realized this a few years later. I'm sure I could've pulled a couple more years out of it. And here today I totally wish there wasn't an age limit on TOT'ing.

But costumes are fun. As are watching scary movies, or just doing random pranks or activities that just wouldn't feel the same on any other day. My personal favorite thing to do is take a shower/bath with all the lights off. I came up with it myself and it's been a yearly thing since, like 1997 now. ;D

I'll do all that stuff until the year I die too. Halloween is something that truly never gets old.

Written By: nally on 11/01/05 at 9:41 am

At age 13, I decided that would be my last year for trick-or-treating (1993).

Written By: Climber on 11/01/05 at 9:49 am

I was about 13 or 14 when I stopped.
Personally, I'd rather have the older kids out trick-or-treating than some of the other things they could be doing.  Like TP'ing houses, etc.  Lets them be kids for a while longer.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/01/05 at 11:15 am

I was 15.  At the age of 17 I went out with a friend of mine (dressed up) but we only knocked on a certain person's door.  ;)

Cat

Written By: Barefoot_Blues on 11/01/05 at 11:19 am

I was 15. Then I started going to parties only. ;)

Written By: rich1981 on 11/01/05 at 11:29 am

I was 13 when I last trick or treated in 1994 but wore an ugly mask the year after just for the fun of it.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 11/01/05 at 11:55 am

It appears my last trick or treat year was when I turned 16 in 1998. I hardly remember what happened in 1999. I know we had a lot of people over and I was dressed up, but I don't remember going door to door and getting trick or treats.

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 11/01/05 at 11:58 am

i was 12 or 13  :)

I stopped when I was 12 because people kept saying, "Aren't you getting a bit big (tall) to be trick-or-treating?!"  :-[ 

Written By: whistledog on 11/01/05 at 12:06 pm

I was around 15 or so.  A few Halloweens later though, I got hungry, so I put on a mask and went out to a few houses  ;D

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 11/01/05 at 12:25 pm

You're supposed to stop ???  I still go every year (well, with the kids, but there's usually at least 1 house that gives me candy ;))

;D  I really want to attempt going out again, as I am rather short and I could really pass as a kid if I had a mask on. I could pass at least for 14 or 15, lol.

Written By: Morton on 11/01/05 at 12:29 pm

I think I was about 11... but last night at work me and the lady I was on with wore silly witches hats just for laughs. If i'd had a penny for every time I got told "Nice hat!"...  ;D

Written By: FaultyDog on 11/01/05 at 12:35 pm

Zero !

Never started  ;)

Strange overseas thing which has never taken on here  :o

Halloween is something that's just starting to gain popularity here - but not for the "trick or treat". We already have St.Martin's Day (November 11) in some parts of our country, which is very similar: little kids going from door to door with a self made lantern, singing a song and collecting heaps and heaps of candy. I did that when I was a kid. Probably stopped when I was 13 or so (at that age, I was starting to feel kinda silly... :-\\)

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 11/01/05 at 12:46 pm

Probably around the age of 12.

Written By: nally on 11/01/05 at 1:23 pm

In addition to 1993 being my last year of trick-or-treating, it was the final year in which I dressed up, because I figured I was getting a tad old for things like that. So for the past twelve years (including this year), I have just been myself.

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 11/01/05 at 2:08 pm

In addition to 1993 being my last year of trick-or-treating, it was the final year in which I dressed up, because I figured I was getting a tad old for things like that. So for the past twelve years (including this year), I have just been myself.

I haven't dressed up for Halloween since I was about 12 years old!

Written By: nally on 11/01/05 at 2:10 pm

I haven't dressed up for Halloween since I was about 12 years old!

Do you remember what you were?

I remember all of my costumes. :)

Written By: Apricot on 11/01/05 at 2:19 pm

I was 15. Then I started going to parties only. ;)

Hmm.. there aren't many parties held 'round here.

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 11/01/05 at 2:28 pm

Do you remember what you were?

I remember all of my costumes. :)

No, I'm afraid my memory isn't that sharp anymore!  :-[

Written By: nally on 11/01/05 at 3:42 pm

No, I'm afraid my memory isn't that sharp anymore! :-[

My memory is pretty sharp when it comes to certain things. :)

The last costume I wore was a Conehead (which was basically just a cone-shaped hat that I could attach to my head by means of spirit gum). The "Coneheads" movie came out that year, and so that was the best idea I could think of for my final year of trick-or-treating.

The year before that (1992) I was Cousin Itt. It was not easy being Cousin Itt because I couldn't always tell where I was going! Which made me experience what it was like for the actor who played Cousin Itt on the "Addams Family" TV series.

Written By: Paul on 11/01/05 at 4:21 pm

Never partooken in it...

I've also never consumed pumpkin pie, but I'm not sure if that's a bad thing...!

Written By: loki 13 on 11/01/05 at 4:32 pm

I was 15 when I stopped because the following year
we were getting served in our neighborhood liquor store
and we had a costume party instead.

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 11/01/05 at 4:33 pm

Never partooken in it...

I've also never consumed pumpkin pie, but I'm not sure if that's a bad thing...!

Okay, I'm shocked by both of those statements!  :o

Written By: Paul on 11/01/05 at 4:36 pm

Okay, I'm shocked by both of those statements!  :o

Why's that?

Like our good Australian chums, it's something us Brits never took on board much...

...but it seems to be growing in popularity (not sure about the pumpkin pie tho'...!)

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 11/01/05 at 4:38 pm

Why's that?

Like our good Australian chums, it's something us Brits never took on board much...

...but it seems to be growing in popularity (not sure about the pumpkin pie tho'...!)

Well, I thought all of the Western World observed Halloween!

As for pumpkin pie...it's not a favorite, but I don't mind it on occasion (with heavy doses of whipped cream)!  :)

Written By: nally on 11/01/05 at 5:04 pm

As for pumpkin pie...it's not a favorite, but I don't mind it on occasion (with heavy doses of whipped cream)!  :)

I enjoy it at Thanksgiving and on Christmas! :)

Written By: YWN on 11/01/05 at 5:09 pm

I've never been trick-or-treating...  I remember when I was six, my mother told me Halloween was the devil's birthday, although I know now (because my mother is not superstitious) that she either didn't like to deal with the costumes and candy or she just didn't appreciate the history of it (All Hallow's Eve), the day before a bogus Catholic ritual in which people would beg the saints for "indulgences", believing they could obtain forgiveness of sins from saints.  It was probably a combination.

Written By: nally on 11/01/05 at 5:10 pm

Come to think of it, I think I was about 9 when I started trick-or-treating. I can never remember doing any prior to that. :-\\

Written By: Marty McFly on 11/01/05 at 5:18 pm

Come to think of it, I think I was about 9 when I started trick-or-treating. I can never remember doing any prior to that. :-\\

I never thought about that until now. I think I first did it at about 6 - I know the house we lived, in Rohnert Park (my favorite of everywhere we've lived!) we moved into in 1986. I would've been 5 that Halloween. So I was definitely either 5 or 6.

And I did it till age 11, so I logged in a good half decade. ;)

Written By: Sammy Reed on 11/01/05 at 5:28 pm

Funny thing, this question happens to be asked.

Yesterday marks the 20th anniversary of my retirement year of trick-or-treating. 16 years old, in 1985.

And today marks the 20th anniversary of the 1st, and only, independent TV station we ever had in the Tri-Cities area. (NE Tenn./SW Va.) - WETO, Ch.39, Greeneville, Tenn.
Then the Fox network came along, and it gradually stopped being so "independent". I could go on about this on another, more appropriate thread. But I remember it signed on the day after Halloween, and I watched it while eating my last Halloween candy.

Talk about your "things you just can't go back to."

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/01/05 at 6:03 pm

I like to have a little pumpkin pie with my whipped cream.  ;)

Cat

Written By: nally on 11/01/05 at 6:19 pm

I like to have a little pumpkin pie with my whipped cream. ;)

Cat

As do I! Whipped cream kicks it up a notch, as Emeril would say. ;) ;D

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 11/01/05 at 6:24 pm

I like to have a little pumpkin pie with my whipped cream.  ;)

Cat
To someone who has never ever tried pumpkin pie, (and does'nt plan to, especially with whipped cream) that sounds horrible.  :P ;)

Written By: Apricot on 11/01/05 at 7:03 pm

Oh... My... God...

Paul, you must get pumpkin pie IMMEDIATELY. Your survival depends on experiencing the joy of pumpkin pie... warning, though: Your first time will create the most violent of orgasmic euphorias.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 11/01/05 at 11:05 pm

I was 16 years old...a group of friends decided at the last minute to dress up and go to certain houses....just for the heck of it!

Erin :)

Written By: bbigd04 on 11/01/05 at 11:18 pm

I think the last time I went I was 11. I just really didn't feel like doing it anymore after that. I used to collect so much candy, never ate most of it anyway.

Written By: nally on 11/01/05 at 11:44 pm

I think the last time I went I was 11. I just really didn't feel like doing it anymore after that. I used to collect so much candy, never ate most of it anyway.

The final year I trick-or-treated, I don't think I ate any of my candy, since I had braces and was restricted from eating certain foods...which included chewy candy.

Written By: chiefyamick on 11/02/05 at 12:29 am

Aww jeez, there's an age to STOP trick-or-treating????  ;)

There's a number of bars around here that do the "adult" trick-or-treat thing....

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 11/02/05 at 12:35 am

To someone who has never ever tried pumpkin pie, (and does'nt plan to, especially with whipped cream) that sounds horrible.  :P ;)

Not to go off topic, but isn't the 5th of November Guy Fawkes Day?

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 11/02/05 at 1:41 am

Yes it is.

Written By: Bobby on 11/02/05 at 4:39 am

There are probably some depraved people out there too.  ;D

Written By: mandamoo on 11/02/05 at 4:39 am

Me too  :o

True....I don't just give 'em out willy-nilly  ;) :D ;D

Written By: Bobby on 11/02/05 at 4:41 am

Me too  :o

True....I don't just give 'em out willy-nilly  ;) :D ;D

;D

Written By: Marty McFly on 11/02/05 at 5:11 am

I think so. It's also the 50th anniversary of the day Doc invented the flux capacitor (and, in the "improved" timeline, the day Marty arrived in 1955).

^ Sorry, just had to say it. ;D

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 11/02/05 at 5:54 am

In all seriousness with my asking, Karen...."why?"  :o

Speaking as a rest-of the-western-world person, I think the rest of us see it as a thing that is almost unique to North America  :)

I would like it if someone here could explain it's origins to me  :)

Written By: karen on 11/02/05 at 8:10 am

In all seriousness with my asking, Karen...."why?"  :o

Speaking as a rest-of the-western-world person, I think the rest of us see it as a thing that is almost unique to North America  :)

As a child (age 5 or 6) I remember dressing up for Halloween at school with a prize for the best costume but the concept of trick or treat was unknown.  I was about 8 or 9 when I read a Brownie Annual with a story about a British girl who moved to America with her family and it was set around Halloween with all the shops being decorated and trick or treating was in that story.

A friend of mine remembers one person in her street decorating their house for halloween but also says that he was regarded as something of an oddball by everyone else.  We would put a lantern on the edge of the shed roof so it could be seen in the street but that was all we did.

Written By: Tia on 11/02/05 at 9:21 am

I think so. It's also the 50th anniversary of the day Doc invented the flux capacitor (and, in the "improved" timeline, the day Marty arrived in 1955).

^ Sorry, just had to say it. ;D

a great day NOT to be in the UK, guy fawkes day. although our dog is scared of  fireworks, so maybe i'm not objective.

i don't remember when i stopped trick-or-treating, but i do recall there was one year everyone was doing, ya know, y'all too old to be doing this. so we got embarrassed and stopped after that. apparently there's a lot more older kids trick or treating these days than there were back then. although i'm going by word of mouth -- we live near a busy road so we don't get any trick or treaters.  :-\\

Written By: Marty McFly on 11/02/05 at 9:27 am

a great day NOT to be in the UK, guy fawkes day. although our dog is scared of  fireworks, so maybe i'm not objective.

i don't remember when i stopped trick-or-treating, but i do recall there was one year everyone was doing, ya know, y'all too old to be doing this. so we got embarrassed and stopped after that. apparently there's a lot more older kids trick or treating these days than there were back then. although i'm going by word of mouth -- we live near a busy road so we don't get any trick or treaters.  :-\\

I've only heard about Guy Fawkes day from some of my UK friends on the BTTF message boards I go to. I take your word too!

It's ironic that people Trick or Treat longer these days - because more kids seem to hate "being kids" now (much like I did growing up). However I'm pretty sure I still couldn't have gotten away with TOT'ing since about 16, just 'cause I'm fairly tall.

I still look kinda young, but height-wise, I'm 5'11/6 feet, so needless to say that would stand out right next to the 4 year olds, hehe.

Written By: Bobby on 11/02/05 at 10:39 am

It's ironic that people Trick or Treat longer these days - because more kids seem to hate "being kids" now (much like I did growing up). However I'm pretty sure I still couldn't have gotten away with TOT'ing since about 16, just 'cause I'm fairly tall.

Oh come now, oh naive Marty! You don't realise that kids stay kids only if it's profitable for them to do it?  ;D

Written By: Marty McFly on 11/02/05 at 10:45 am

^ Hehe, I'll give you that, I am pretty naive in some ways. Well, I'm very knowlegeable, always have been, but I'm not experienced.

There was once a joke I heard about, "What do you call a guy who knows a million things about women but doesn't have a girlfriend?" Answer: a consultant.

Admittedly that's only one example, but I guess you could say I'm a "consultant" for many things. ;D

Really though, I do think it simply depends on the person. In the early 90's, Trick or Treating was still viewed as a "kiddie" thing to an extent, and I hated "kid associated" stuff when I was one. It wasn't until I got to be 17 or 18 on the edge of very early adulthood, that I started to think Ahh, being a kid wasn't so bad after all!

But maybe I was ahead of my time. From what I've observed, many many kids today are into teenage/adult stuff. I see far more 8 and 10 year olds into video games and movies than traditional toys.

Written By: Tia on 11/02/05 at 10:50 am

Oh come now, oh naive Marty! You don't realise that kids stay kids only if it's profitable for them to do it?  ;D

lol! "sure i'll be a kid, whatever, but what's my percentage?? i want pay-and-play and back-end participation. i want it right here in my contract."

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/02/05 at 11:11 am

The neighborhood I lived in up to the age of 8 had a great Halloween celebration. It took place on the Saturday adjacent to Halloween. The fire department started off the parade, followed by all the kids in their costumes. It ended at the park where there was judging of the costumes and then the kids went trick-or-treating. By the time the Sun went down, all the candy was handed out and all the little ghosts and goblins were safe at home. When I moved away from that neighborhood, I remember hearing kids saying that they were going to START trick-or-treating about 6 p.m. I was thinking that all the candy would be gone by then. I thought EVERYONE started trick-or-treating when it was still daylight. I wonder if that neighorhood is still doing Halloween the way they did it back then.

Cat

Written By: whitewolf on 11/02/05 at 12:16 pm

around here people trick or treat until 18 or older. I know a few adults that still go out.

I stopped when I was 17.

Written By: Marty McFly on 11/02/05 at 1:09 pm

around here people trick or treat until 18 or older. I know a few adults that still go out.

I stopped when I was 17.

That's actually pretty cool - I guess I could try next year, lol (it actually would be fun!). :)

Maybe it's slightly different in certain areas (I forget where you're from, I'm in the San Francisco Bay Area).

Written By: Suicidal Blonde on 11/02/05 at 1:29 pm

I was 14 when I stopped. ( trick or treating) After that, me and some friends would just hang out and TP some houses.  ;D  Most of my friends had older siblings who usually threw parties. I would dress up for those and hang out.

Written By: Howard on 11/02/05 at 4:29 pm

I kind of felt that after my early teens that I shouldn't go out to go trick or treating anymore cause people would think that I don't look like a kid and I'm too old for it.  ;D

Written By: nally on 11/02/05 at 5:17 pm

I kind of felt that after my early teens that I shouldn't go out to go trick or treating anymore cause people would think that I don't look like a kid and I'm too old for it. ;D

I felt the same way too; I thought at the time that it was more of a kiddie thing.

Written By: Paul on 11/02/05 at 5:26 pm

I've only heard about Guy Fawkes day from some of my UK friends on the BTTF message boards I go to. I take your word too!

Groan!

Don't remind me!

I hate fireworks...'specially those ones which shoot 60 foot up in the air with an ear-piercing whistle...and that's all they do! What a con!

Me and the cat will be safely keeping out of the way...with earplugs in!

Britain...probably the only country on earth that commemorates a terrorist...

Written By: nally on 11/02/05 at 5:28 pm

Groan!

Don't remind me!

I hate fireworks...'specially those ones which shoot 60 foot up in the air with an ear-piercing whistle...and that's all they do! What a con!

Me and the cat will be safely keeping out of the way...with earplugs in!

Britain...probably the only country on earth that commemorates a terrorist...

We have to go through that every year on July 4th...and fireworks/firecrackers are illegal in our residential neighborhood! :o It scares the heck out of all the pets. >:(

Written By: Paul on 11/02/05 at 5:30 pm

Paul, you must get pumpkin pie IMMEDIATELY. Your survival depends on experiencing the joy of pumpkin pie... warning, though: Your first time will create the most violent of orgasmic euphorias.

That good, huh...?!!

Oh well, if it comes that highly recommended, then I'll indulge as soon as I encounter one...

Not sure if it's sold anywhere around here, truth be told...but you'd be surprised what you can find down the supermarket these days!

'Violent orgasmic euphoria'?

I only normally experience that when payday arrives...!!

Written By: Paul on 11/02/05 at 5:33 pm

We have to go through that every year on July 4th...and fireworks/firecrackers are illegal in our residential neighborhood! :o It scares the heck out of all the pets. >:(

Well, at least you're commemorating something worth commemorating, Jeff...

And when you consider that most pets have a sense of hearing which is infinitely better than our own, it's small wonder they get scared...

Some of these fireworks can render the poor little things deaf...

Written By: nally on 11/02/05 at 5:37 pm

Well, at least you're commemorating something worth commemorating, Jeff...

Maybe so...but I don't wanna feel like I'm in a war zone. >:( That's why they're illegal in residential neighborhoods. Residents have even called the cops to complain about the FW's, and people have gotten busted for them.

Written By: Paul on 11/02/05 at 5:41 pm

That's why they're illegal in residential neighborhoods. Residents have even called the cops to complain about the FW's, and people have gotten busted for them.

That's something we could do with over here...

Written By: Bobby on 11/03/05 at 7:30 am

^ Hehe, I'll give you that, I am pretty naive in some ways. Well, I'm very knowlegeable, always have been, but I'm not experienced.

There was once a joke I heard about, "What do you call a guy who knows a million things about women but doesn't have a girlfriend?" Answer: a consultant.

Admittedly that's only one example, but I guess you could say I'm a "consultant" for many things. ;D

Ha ha! It's like the old phrase goes: "The people that do, do. The people that can't do, teach." ;D

Really though, I do think it simply depends on the person. In the early 90's, Trick or Treating was still viewed as a "kiddie" thing to an extent, and I hated "kid associated" stuff when I was one. It wasn't until I got to be 17 or 18 on the edge of very early adulthood, that I started to think Ahh, being a kid wasn't so bad after all!

Trick or treating is quite a thing over here but there is definitely less emphasis on things like apple-bobbing and pumpkin carving (I don't know anyone that does that). Halloween fancy dress parties are pretty big here too.  :)

But maybe I was ahead of my time. From what I've observed, many many kids today are into teenage/adult stuff. I see far more 8 and 10 year olds into video games and movies than traditional toys.

I see many people 20-40 year olds into video games and movies too (myself included  ;D).

Video games is certainly one way to bridge the generation gap (and probably will become more of a bridge in years to come).

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/03/05 at 7:32 am

I do not think I have ever tricked or treated

Written By: Bobby on 11/03/05 at 10:55 am

Next year, Phil. I dare you to go around trick or treating wearing a boiler suit and a hockey mask.  ;D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/03/05 at 12:11 pm

Next year, Phil. I dare you to go around trick or treating wearing a boiler suit and a hockey mask.  ;D

Carrying a chainsaw?  :o

Cat

Written By: Bobby on 11/03/05 at 12:16 pm

Carrying a chainsaw?  :o

Yeah. That can be the 'trick'.  ;D

Written By: Southern Image on 11/03/05 at 1:13 pm

I stopped for 20 years then got to pick it right back up. Neener Neener. ( Its good to be a mom  ;) )

Written By: Howard on 11/03/05 at 2:51 pm

Why Not Phil?

Written By: Marty McFly on 11/03/05 at 4:57 pm

Ha ha! It's like the old phrase goes: "The people that do, do. The people that can't do, teach." ;D

:)

As time goes on, I'll get to be more of both, though!

Trick or treating is quite a thing over here but there is definitely less emphasis on things like apple-bobbing and pumpkin carving (I don't know anyone that does that). Halloween fancy dress parties are pretty big here too.  :)

I didn't know that. I actually don't ever recall apple bobbing, but I always thought pumpkin carving (and hey, anything pumpkin related!) was fun. ;)

I see many people 20-40 year olds into video games and movies too (myself included  ;D).

Video games is certainly one way to bridge the generation gap (and probably will become more of a bridge in years to come). 

Agree 100%. I think we're going to see more and more of that, largely because video games have been around for over twenty years now. So the 10 year olds who first played Atari games or Pac Man in 1982 would be in their early 30's now. The 20 year olds would be around 43 now, etc. So it's not like they're purely a youth thing anymore.  :D

Heck my dad played Nintento and PacMan with me when I was really young (enjoyed it just as much as me, if not more sometimes!) and he was 45 in 1983 and 50 in 1988. I look at examples like that and really have to laugh my a** off when I hear someone say they're 21 and "can't get into what the kids are doing today".

Then again, I think it was easier in the 80's for adults to adapt to new things than it is in 2005, but that's another story. ;D

Written By: Bobby on 11/04/05 at 6:46 am

:)

As time goes on, I'll get to be more of both, though!

You certainly will, Marty.  8)

I didn't know that. I actually don't ever recall apple bobbing, but I always thought pumpkin carving (and hey, anything pumpkin related!) was fun. ;)

I'm thinking that the apple bobbing thing is a game that simulated the women who were convicted of being a witch being placed in a 'ducking stool' years ago. Of course if a woman is placed on that, she's dead regardless of the outcome. If she stays alive, she gets burnt as a witch and if she drowns . . . well, she's not a witch but she's dead anyway.  ;D

Agree 100%. I think we're going to see more and more of that, largely because video games have been around for over twenty years now. So the 10 year olds who first played Atari games or Pac Man in 1982 would be in their early 30's now. The 20 year olds would be around 43 now, etc. So it's not like they're purely a youth thing anymore.  :D

As the years go on, technology will catch up with older people. I don't think we realise that it was a completely different world 50/60 years ago.

Heck my dad played Nintento and PacMan with me when I was really young (enjoyed it just as much as me, if not more sometimes!) and he was 45 in 1983 and 50 in 1988. I look at examples like that and really have to laugh my a** off when I hear someone say they're 21 and "can't get into what the kids are doing today".

It seems you have a great dad. My dad didn't do that with me but we played football together and that.  :)

Then again, I think it was easier in the 80's for adults to adapt to new things than it is in 2005, but that's another story. ;D

Really? Hmmm . . . I kind of thought it would be easier now because there is less to grasp and take in than there was back then as inventions were fresh and new (computer games, CDs etc). I feel that, apart from the internet, technology hasn't changed that much for people to have hang-ups about it.

Written By: NullandVoid on 11/04/05 at 6:47 am

ummm....something teen.

I'm a late bloomer!

Written By: Marty McFly on 11/04/05 at 9:50 am

I'm thinking that the apple bobbing thing is a game that simulated the women who were convicted of being a witch being placed in a 'ducking stool' years ago. Of course if a woman is placed on that, she's dead regardless of the outcome. If she stays alive, she gets burnt as a witch and if she drowns . . . well, she's not a witch but she's dead anyway.  ;D

LOL - I just learned something new (which I always enjoy, and you're one of the funniest, coolest guys to want to learn it from!). :)

It seems you have a great dad. My dad didn't do that with me but we played football together and that.  :)

Thanks man. You're right. Glad to hear your dad played soccer (isn't that what Brits call "football"?) with you. I only played maybe 3 times in my life. Wasn't too good, either. I did more tripping and falling down than scoring. ;D

Really? Hmmm . . . I kind of thought it would be easier now because there is less to grasp and take in than there was back then as inventions were fresh and new (computer games, CDs etc). I feel that, apart from the internet, technology hasn't changed that much for people to have hang-ups about it.

True, alot of the technology of the 80's was brand new at the time, so it's not like there were earlier versions of it people could compare it too, like we can with today's technology.

As far as people go, I think the average 40 year old in 1985 got into pop culture more than the average 40 year old in 2005. However, people today tend to ACT much younger. It's kind of a weird tradeoff/contradictory thing, but from what I've observed, that's the case more often than not. ;)

Written By: Howard on 11/04/05 at 3:53 pm

Imagine if adults went Trick Or Treating?  ;D

Written By: STAR70 on 11/04/05 at 4:57 pm

Written By: nally on 11/04/05 at 11:46 pm

Imagine if adults went Trick Or Treating? ;D

If they take their little ones TOT-ing, that's one thing. But if they're the ones who TOT, that's a different story. When I was younger, I always thought that TOTing was for little kids. :-\\

Written By: Howard on 11/05/05 at 7:21 am

If they take their little ones TOT-ing, that's one thing. But if they're the ones who TOT, that's a different story. When I was younger, I always thought that TOTing was for little kids. :-\\

Do you still feel that way?

Written By: jaytee on 11/05/05 at 7:23 am

I've never done it in my life.  It's only become popular here in the last few years and it annoys the crap outta me :o

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 11/05/05 at 7:44 am

I've never done it in my life.  It's only become popular here in the last few years and it annoys the crap outta me :o

Popular ?  Don't think it has achieved that status here, jaytee  ;)  You mean "slightly less uncommon" doncha ?  :)

Written By: Bobby on 11/06/05 at 1:33 pm

LOL - I just learned something new (which I always enjoy, and you're one of the funniest, coolest guys to want to learn it from!). :)

Aww. Thank you very much. Learning is a two way street.  ;) :)

Thanks man. You're right. Glad to hear your dad played soccer (isn't that what Brits call "football"?) with you. I only played maybe 3 times in my life. Wasn't too good, either. I did more tripping and falling down than scoring. ;D

As long as you didn't pick the ball up and run for a touchdown you're doing more than okay.  ;) ;D

It's definitely an easy game to get into and perhaps the only thing the English are serious about.

True, alot of the technology of the 80's was brand new at the time, so it's not like there were earlier versions of it people could compare it too, like we can with today's technology.

That's true. Things have got smaller, more compact and more user friendly (mobile phones, CD walkmans, videos/dvd players, computers and consoles etc . . .) but there isn't much in the way of mind-blowing innovation.

As far as people go, I think the average 40 year old in 1985 got into pop culture more than the average 40 year old in 2005. However, people today tend to ACT much younger. It's kind of a weird tradeoff/contradictory thing, but from what I've observed, that's the case more often than not. ;)

Yes, I see your point. My dad was about 25 - 30 when he got into the new romantic/new wave thing of the 80s (though he always had a 'young mind' anyway). 'Older' people (I use the term sparringly to save offending anyone  ;D) are not afraid to try anything new like perhaps people from the 30s/40s were - for example, my grandad was almost an invalid in some ways when my nan died. He always relied on my uncle to record things from the telly, wash his own clothes in a washing machine and even use a microwave because he was scared to use them himself.

Written By: Dagwood on 11/06/05 at 4:52 pm

I was 12.  It was 1983 and I was in 6th grade, my last year of elementary school.

Written By: nally on 11/06/05 at 7:16 pm

I was 12.  It was 1983 and I was in 6th grade, my last year of elementary school.

You were 12 years old in the sixth grade? When I was in sixth grade, I was 11. For me, it was also my last year of elementary school. ;)

Written By: Dagwood on 11/06/05 at 7:32 pm

I guess I was 11...I turned 12 during sixth grade, though...that is where that came from.  Must have been 1982 then.

Written By: nally on 11/06/05 at 7:35 pm

I guess I was 11...I turned 12 during sixth grade, though...that is where that came from. Must have been 1982 then.

guess so... ;)

Lucky me, I was 11 during my entire sixth grade year (1991-92). That's because I have a summer birthday. :)

I went TOT-ing for the last time when I was in 8th grade (1993), my last year of junior high, a.k.a. middle school.

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/09/05 at 8:56 am

;D

Written By: Satish on 11/10/05 at 2:46 pm

If you're wondering about the history of Halloween, look at this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halloween

Halloween was originally a Celtic festival observed in Britain since ancient times, but it was brought to the US and Canada by Scots/Irish immigrants in the past few centuries. Most of the modern trappings of Halloween were created in North America, which is the place that celebrates it the most.

Check for new replies or respond here...