inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Anyone else besides me thinking about Thanksgiving already?

Written By: YWN on 11/04/05 at 9:59 am

Okay, so before we get all anxious about Santa Clause, mistletoes, and all that rubbish, we can't forget Thanksgiving.  I'll have you know...I'm a big fan of turkey.  I can't get enough turkey.  Seriously...it's my favorite lunchmeat.  If it were up to me, I would eat turkey sandwiches for lunch for eternity (with ketchup, of course).

I don't have a big family; it's just my one pair of grandparents and my uncle and first cousin that come.
How old were you when you didn't have to sit at the kiddy table anymore?  I was twelve or thirteen...

Subject: Re: Anyone else besides me thinking about Thanksgiving already?

Written By: Alchoholica on 11/04/05 at 11:18 am

Okay, so before we get all anxious about Santa Clause, mistletoes, and all that rubbish, we can't forget Thanksgiving.  I'll have you know...I'm a big fan of turkey.  I can't get enough turkey.  Seriously...it's my favorite lunchmeat.  If it were up to me, I would eat turkey sandwiches for lunch for eternity (with ketchup, of course).

I don't have a big family; it's just my one pair of grandparents and my uncle and first cousin that come.
How old were you when you didn't have to sit at the kiddy table anymore?  I was twelve or thirteen...

I am viewing thanksgiving with trepidation this year. Although Thanksgiving is my favourite eating holiday i get to go visit the Evangelical Baptist Republicans this year.
They haven't seen me for some time (most of them anyway) i can imagine the discussion..

"So young Andrew, tell us about yourself."
"Well, I'm a fairly Liberal student, I listen to Metal, I'm loud, I'm Obnoxious.. but worst of all.. I'm a Catholic"  ;D

They don't talk to my mum any more, her Pope loving is one of the main reasons. I'm looking forward to dropping that one on them, i might even pretend i'm really devout  ;D

Written By: Marty McFly on 11/04/05 at 11:24 am

Well I was an only child, so I never remember sitting at the "kiddie" table (but, I always despised highchairs and all that when I was real little!).

I used to love turkey too, before I became a vegetarian back in 2001.

On an off note, I've noticed there seems to be more and more of a trend to jump right into Christmas stuff -- just a total immersation with songs, decorations, etc -- right after Halloween. In a way, I guess it makes sense, because if you think about it, the feel of Thanksgiving is very much like that of Christmas - family gatherings, a big dinner, and a overall feeling of happiness in the air.

Turkey is almost equivalent to presents, in that people search high and low for just the right one, spend all day preparing it, and when everyone else finally gets to it, it's such a huge event.

The downside is, by December 26th, we're usually so Christmas-musiced out that we're almost hoping Rudolph suddenly gets a green nose just so we won't have to sing about the red one anymore. ;D

P.S. I also realized, there's no such thing as "Thanksgiving music" - gosh dangit, there should be. Even if I have to write it myself (which probably wouldn't be a problem - I always wanted to do that kind of thing for a living since I was a kid!). That's probably why radio stations tend to get full-on Christmas about this time of year.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/04/05 at 11:41 am

I am viewing thanksgiving with trepidation this year. Although Thanksgiving is my favourite eating holiday i get to go visit the Evangelical Baptist Republicans this year.
They haven't seen me for some time (most of them anyway) i can imagine the discussion..

"So young Andrew, tell us about yourself."
"Well, I'm a fairly Liberal student, I listen to Metal, I'm loud, I'm Obnoxious.. but worst of all.. I'm a Catholic"  ;D

They don't talk to my mum any more, her Pope loving is one of the main reasons. I'm looking forward to dropping that one on them, i might even pretend i'm really devout  ;D

I don't envy you. You could tell them that you are a "Born-again Pagan."  :D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 11/04/05 at 11:52 am

Thanksgiving is okay--always the same, though. The family comes over, we eat, I fall asleep on the sofa with the dull sound of football playing in the background.

Kiddie table? I'm not so sure we ever had one of those.

Written By: Suicidal Blonde on 11/04/05 at 12:06 pm

I STILL sit at the kiddie table. I have more fun there  ;) . I  can't wait...my mouth is watering for some sweet potatos, biscuits, and good ole turkey. I love eating turkey sandwiches the next day.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 11/04/05 at 12:07 pm

Thanksgiving is an ok time....but it goes SO fast! You prepare all of that food, hours and hours of it...and everyone sits down, stuffs their faces, and 5 minutes later...it's over.

Erin :)

Written By: Suicidal Blonde on 11/04/05 at 12:11 pm

Thanksgiving is an ok time....but it goes SO fast! You prepare all of that food, hours and hours of it...and everyone sits down, stuffs their faces, and 5 minutes later...it's over.

BUT you get leftover turkey  ;) :D ;D

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 11/04/05 at 12:11 pm

BUT you get leftover turkey  ;) :D ;D

true! ;)

Written By: Alchoholica on 11/04/05 at 1:21 pm

I don't envy you. You could tell them that you are a "Born-again Pagan."  :D ;D ;D

I'm gonna ask my cousin if he has found allah yet.

I did it a couple years ago and he didn't talk to me for the rest of the weekend  ;D

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 11/04/05 at 2:06 pm

Thanksgivings have been anticpated by me for years, but now it seems my family just doesn't have the same enthusiasm for it as when we were children. I think everyone is at the age where they're too old to enjoy it or too young to appreciate it. My grandma doesn't want to cook anymore, so no more of her yummy turkeys - my Aunt's are either working too much, too ill or tired (which is understandable - they're all edging towards 60). I think we need some grandkids to liven things up - luckily, by next year we'll have one grandkid that will be nearly a year old to help things a bit.

I can't remember when we stopped eating at the kids table, I sort of remember that as far back as maybe 8 years old (back in 1990).

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/04/05 at 2:10 pm

This year it looks like it will only be the two of us-which means no big turkey.  :\'(  But the good news is no clean-up afterwards.  ;D  Maybe I can talk Carlos into getting a turkey breast or something. I LOVE turkey and all the trimmings. Or we just might go out to eat.

Cat

Written By: Skippy on 11/04/05 at 2:15 pm

...i get to go visit the Evangelical Baptist Republicans this year.

Whenever Mormons would come to my door I would politely tell them I'm a Druid....then I would show my evil look and ask if they have anything they would like sacrificed. They tend to leave quickly. Come to think, I haven't had any solicitation for a while.  ::)

Written By: deadrockstar on 11/04/05 at 2:21 pm

It'll probably be just me and my uncle for Thanksgiving this year. I hope we have dressing, and pumpkin pie. I don't really care about the other stuff though.

Written By: Howard on 11/04/05 at 3:20 pm

I love Thanksgiving turkey.I eat the breasts and the thighs.  ;D

Written By: gemini on 11/04/05 at 9:19 pm

We always have a houseful for thanksgiving. There will probably be about 25 to 30 people and the same for Christmas. I love being around alot of family for the holidays.  :)

Written By: Howard on 11/05/05 at 7:36 am

I think we all eat way too much on Thanksgiving.Turkey,Cranberry,Yams,Potatoes,Stuffing and Pumpkin Pie for dessert later.  :P

Written By: Dagwood on 11/05/05 at 3:56 pm

Can't wait.  I was sicker than a dog last year (emergency room, IV antibiotics sick) so I missed Thanksgiving dinner.  Then my mom promised to make turkey for Christmas and didn't.  I am really looking forward to this year. 

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 11/05/05 at 3:58 pm

Can't say I've ever thought about Thanksgiving. But it sounds like a nice holiday (Have a day off work, eat lots of food, drink lots of alcohol...)  ::)

Written By: Morton on 11/05/05 at 3:59 pm

Day off work? Food and alcohol? Us Brits should celebrate Thanksgiving!  ;D

Written By: Apricot on 11/05/05 at 4:01 pm

We get my family together for Thanksgiving.. the extended one. It's usually a lot of work, too much to enjoy... my mom and dad always wind up hosting, and we cook all the crap.. I don't even get to enjoy the work (I hate Thanksgiving food, sans pumpkin pie)... but so much work!! It's the one time of year we use our dishwasher. ;D

Written By: Morton on 11/05/05 at 4:02 pm

We get my family together for Thanksgiving.. the extended one. It's usually a lot of work, too much to enjoy... my mom and dad always wind up hosting, and we cook all the crap.. I don't even get to enjoy the work (I hate Thanksgiving food, sans pumpkin pie)... but so much work!! It's the one time of year we use our dishwasher. ;D

AND dishwashers?! Where do I sign?!  :D ;D

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 11/05/05 at 4:04 pm

I love Thanksgiving turkey.I eat the breasts and the thighs.  ;D
::)

Written By: Apricot on 11/05/05 at 4:06 pm

::)

So, I wasn't the ONLY one who saw that post..  ;D

Written By: thenewwavechick on 11/05/05 at 4:38 pm

Thanskgiving is my second favorite holiday after Halloween.  And I got to sit in the living room with some of my relatives since the dining room could only fit so many people and we used have a lot of people come over.  So it was usually me, my sister, brother, my cousins all in the living room watching football. 
This year I'm spending a week at my Mom's house, and right now my aunt and uncle are the only two coming, sometimes one of my Dad's coworkers who now a family friend comes over with a delicious pumpkin bread her Mom makes.  We usually have the usual stuff like turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, squash, but we have green bean almondene and corn.  And for dessert, my aunt brings down a pumpkin pie and my Mom buys pumpkin ice cream. 
I'm going to buy a bus ticket Monday for the 21st.  I can't wait.  :D

Written By: Apricot on 11/05/05 at 4:38 pm

^ Halloween is (or, at least the traditions behind it) my favorite holiday also.

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 11/05/05 at 4:44 pm

Mom buys pumpkin ice cream.
Err... what's that like?  :o

Written By: Apricot on 11/05/05 at 4:45 pm

Err... what's that like?  :o

Yeah, doesn't sound too good.. I love pumpkin, don't get me wrong.. but ICE CREAM?

Written By: YWN on 11/05/05 at 4:45 pm

Yeah, doesn't sound too good.. I love pumpkin, don't get me wrong.. but ICE CREAM?

...EWWW!!!

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 11/18/05 at 12:38 pm

OMG..you guys have to check this out...it's hilarious!!! LMFAO! ;D

http://www.msn.americangreetings.com/view.pd?i=382219626&m=1652&rr=y&sou

Written By: rich1981 on 11/18/05 at 12:49 pm

I've had a pumpkin flavored shake once, it was actually pretty good, more like a pumpkin pie. Maybe similar to the ice cream perhaps?

Written By: Howard on 11/18/05 at 3:17 pm

Thanksgiving is next week

Written By: Apricot on 11/18/05 at 3:22 pm

Wednesday before Thanksgiving, my dad is going to my uncle's early... I'm going to a hockey game, then my mom and I are going down to my uncle's Thursday morning.

Written By: alyceclover on 11/20/05 at 8:33 am

happy thanksgiving everyone

think you'll enjoy this e-card, especially ktelqueen  8)

www.msn.americangreetings.com/view.pd?i= 382219626&m= 1652&rr= y&sou

Written By: La Sine Pesroh on 11/20/05 at 10:20 am

I've been looking forward to Thanksgiving for weeks now. My best friend, who moved to Reno last summer, is going to be back, along with a few more of my friends that I grew up with, and I know it's gonna be fun when we're all back together again.

Written By: Apricot on 11/20/05 at 11:36 am

My uncle is making the food this year.. here's to the hope he doesn't screw it up. XD

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 11/20/05 at 11:39 am

Now that it's creeping up, I kinda want to get it over with, lol.. Just give me some turkey and feed me people!

Written By: Apricot on 11/20/05 at 1:18 pm

Now that it's creeping up, I kinda want to get it over with, lol.. Just give me some turkey and feed me people!

I keep thinking it's past, with the rate they're pushing Christmas, actually.  ;D

Written By: Alchoholica on 11/20/05 at 3:58 pm

and feed me people!

... wow, you do things different to me. Can't say i've ever had a Person for dinner at Thanksgiving.  ;)

On Wednesday it's the long drive to Red-Neck; Missouri. Thursday - Big family gathering. Friday - Back to civilisation

Written By: Howard on 11/21/05 at 5:12 pm

happy thanksgiving everyone

think you'll enjoy this e-card, especially ktelqueen

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 11/21/05 at 5:44 pm

... wow, you do things different to me. Can't say i've ever had a Person for dinner at Thanksgiving.

Written By: Howard on 11/21/05 at 5:46 pm

Breasts or Thighs anyone? ;D

Written By: Alchoholica on 11/21/05 at 5:58 pm

oppsies - I meant "FEED ME" You People!

I know..

I was being a prick ;D

Written By: YWN on 11/21/05 at 6:33 pm

I was being a prick ;D

My water was being wet tonight.

Written By: Dominic L. on 11/21/05 at 6:37 pm

I ... I don't even like Thanksgiving food

Written By: ValleyGirl on 11/21/05 at 7:36 pm

Turkey and Ketchup??? :P I like Turkey with Miracle Whip and Lettuce...YUM.

I am making Thanksgiving dinner here at my house for my family.

I am making:

A Turkey
Mashed potatoes and Gravey
Stuffing
Corn bread/Rolls
Broccoli Rice Casserole
Cranberry Sauce (and I add Mandarin oranges and Pecans)
Maple Galzed Sweet Potatoes (they are good, they have coconut and marshmellows, and pecans and maple syrup in them)
Cranberry Orange Spiced Cream Cheeseball with Crackers
Peanut Butter Bon Bons
Assorted Pies
Pineapple Lime Jello salad (It has cream cheese and whipped cream in it)
and we are having Sparkling grape juice to drink, white and red... ;)

Written By: Howard on 11/22/05 at 5:14 pm

I ... I don't even like Thanksgiving food

And Why Not?

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 11/23/05 at 11:43 pm

http://rds.yahoo.com/S=96062883/K=happy+thanksgiving/v=2/SID=e/l=IVI/SIG=135n4eml2/EXP=1132897360/*-http%3A//www.funnies.com/thanksgiving/thanksgiving_happy_turkey_day_text_hg_wht.gif

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 11/23/05 at 11:53 pm

Well since I'm not really having a family dinner, I am looking forward to Thanksgiving television.

I want to watch:

CBS Thanksgiving Day Parade, while flipping it over to watch the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade during commercials

The Wiz (starring Michael Jackson, Diana Ross) is on all day, hope to catch some of it

Charlie Brown's Thanksgiving is on Thanksgiving night, so I hope to catch that as well

One thing I'll be glad of is that the cooking shows will finally stop teaching me how to cook my turkey, I'm not having turkey.  I'm having a box of Stove Top stuffing and some sort of vegetable that either comes from a can or is frozen.  :D

Written By: Howard on 11/24/05 at 9:57 am

My Family and I are going to Charlie Brown's Steakhouse for our Thanksgiving Dinner tonight. :)

Written By: Howard on 11/05/16 at 1:46 pm

I'm looking forward to Thanksgiving this year, hopefully My Uncle And Aunt will invite me over for dinner to spend time with them just like last year.  :)

Written By: violet_shy on 11/05/16 at 6:13 pm

I am!

We are having Thanksgiving at my cousin's this year. We planned it all out today! This year it we will have:

A turkey
A pork shoulder( I'm not a pork lover, but this is really good)
Potato salad
Macaroni salad
Rice
A kind of plantain tamales
And desserts

It's simple but it's going to be really good because my aunt is cooking it this year.

:)

Written By: apollonia1986 on 11/05/16 at 7:53 pm

Nov 1, the cooking group I'm a part of on FB went into maximum overdrive. All I see is turkey and sweet potato pie and all the fixings. I don't know what to do. I usually spend my holidays alone with a frozen meal. Doesn't make sense to cook so much when it's just me.
I'll probably have some pizza, maybe wine, and some kind of sweet like a pie or something--store bought of course. It is easier now. It used to be 3 DAYS of cooking for Thanksgiving and Christmas and New Year's each, by myself. Now I' done in less than an hour.  ;D And I don't even have to take my pajamas off!

I definitely do NOT miss the work.  ::)

Written By: Howard on 11/06/16 at 2:52 pm

I am!

We are having Thanksgiving at my cousin's this year. We planned it all out today! This year it we will have:

A turkey
A pork shoulder( I'm not a pork lover, but this is really good)
Potato salad
Macaroni salad
Rice
A kind of plantain tamales
And desserts

It's simple but it's going to be really good because my aunt is cooking it this year.

:)

That looks so delicious. :)

Written By: Howard on 11/06/16 at 2:55 pm

Nov 1, the cooking group I'm a part of on FB went into maximum overdrive. All I see is turkey and sweet potato pie and all the fixings. I don't know what to do. I usually spend my holidays alone with a frozen meal. Doesn't make sense to cook so much when it's just me.
I'll probably have some pizza, maybe wine, and some kind of sweet like a pie or something--store bought of course. It is easier now. It used to be 3 DAYS of cooking for Thanksgiving and Christmas and New Year's each, by myself. Now I' done in less than an hour.  ;D And I don't even have to take my pajamas off!

I definitely do NOT miss the work.  ::)

You shouldn't be having a frozen meal or pizza. Don't you have other families you can spend Thanksgiving with? ???

Written By: annimal on 11/06/16 at 4:00 pm

I'm quitting cold turkey

Written By: violet_shy on 11/06/16 at 5:32 pm

That looks so delicious. :)

Oh it is! And it's better than it sounds.  :)

Written By: Howard on 11/07/16 at 3:40 pm

Oh it is! And it's better than it sounds.  :)

What dessert are you going to have?  :)

Written By: meesa on 11/07/16 at 4:18 pm

Looking forward to it for the food and the tv.  ;D

Roast turkey & dressing
Sour cream & chive smashed potatoes
Green bean casserole
Rolls - Aunt's recipe and they are fantastic
salad- romaine/radicchio/toasted pumpkin seeds with apple dressing
pumpkin bread
banana cream cheese pudding and apple pie or crisp for dessert

Rest of the holiday through the weekend will be turkey sandwiches and leftovers..'cause there will be plenty!

Written By: annimal on 11/07/16 at 4:23 pm

pummmmkkkiiiiiinnnn

Written By: violet_shy on 11/07/16 at 4:40 pm

What dessert are you going to have?  :)

Well, we agreed to bring a fruit tart, and maybe some fruit pies. Should be good.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/07/16 at 4:41 pm

We were planning on going down to Conn. to spend Thanksgiving with my sisters. Things came up so we won't be going down then but will the following week. I was hoping that I could talk Carlos into making me a turkey dinner (something I love but when it is only the two of us, it is not very practical-but he would anyway). The day after we changed our plans for Conn., we get an email from Carlos' son wanting to know if we wanted to get together the day after Thanksgiving. We invited them here and we will make them a Thanksgiving dinner. So, I will get my turkey dinner after all.  ;D

Cat

Written By: Howard on 11/08/16 at 3:22 pm

Looking forward to it for the food and the tv.  ;D

Roast turkey & dressing
Sour cream & chive smashed potatoes
Green bean casserole
Rolls - Aunt's recipe and they are fantastic
salad- romaine/radicchio/toasted pumpkin seeds with apple dressing
pumpkin bread
banana cream cheese pudding and apple pie or crisp for dessert

Rest of the holiday through the weekend will be turkey sandwiches and leftovers..'cause there will be plenty!

Good God! That's a lot of food.  :o

Check for new replies or respond here...