inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Absinthe

Written By: La Sine Pesroh on 11/06/05 at 8:50 am

I switched jobs within my company last week, and I was talking with one of my new co-workers, and one thing we discovered we had in common was that we both had served in the military in Europe. He had traveled more extensively than me, and he told me with a wicked grin of how he was once in Moscow and drank a bunch of absinthe. Naturally, this piqued my curiosity, because I have heard of absinthe before and that it has effects beyond that of plain alcohol, and that it's illegal in the U.S.
  Has anyone here had absinthe? What kind of effect did it have on you? Is it legal in Canada?

Subject: Re: Absinthe

Written By: Alchoholica on 11/06/05 at 12:00 pm

I switched jobs within my company last week, and I was talking with one of my new co-workers, and one thing we discovered we had in common was that we both had served in the military in Europe. He had traveled more extensively than me, and he told me with a wicked grin of how he was once in Moscow and drank a bunch of absinthe. Naturally, this piqued my curiosity, because I have heard of absinthe before and that it has effects beyond that of plain alcohol, and that it's illegal in the U.S.
  Has anyone here had absinthe? What kind of effect did it have on you? Is it legal in Canada?

Yeah, it's great.
There are many different types. Some, bone jarringly harsh, some, rather timid (about as timid as good Vodka  ;D

You can bring it in to the country.. as far as i am aware. You can some kinds of it in England and i know when she was visiting my cousin bought some back with her.
Russia, Czech Republic etc is where you need to go for the lethal stuff.

Written By: Paul on 11/06/05 at 12:05 pm

Never had it, but am aware of it...

Another lethal one is the Irish 'poteen' (pronounced 'potcheen'), which was classed as illegal by the Irish government at some stage...not sure about now...

Speaking of Czechoslovakia (which Andy was), 'Slivovice' (sp?) is another one that could blow your eyeballs out...

Written By: Bobby on 11/06/05 at 1:12 pm

I've certainly heard of it - killer stuff apparently.  ;D

Written By: Icy on 11/06/05 at 2:22 pm

Sounds like I've heard of it some where, can't remember where. I think it was in some crazy drinking story or some thing.

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 11/06/05 at 2:34 pm

Never bothered to touch the stuff. Sounds very potent.  :-X

Written By: Apricot on 11/06/05 at 2:51 pm

Never bothered to touch the stuff. Sounds very potent.  :-X

Seriously, sounds deadly. :o

Written By: Alchoholica on 11/06/05 at 3:01 pm

Yes....in Amsterdam.  I don't know if it was that or the "cigarettes" that had me talking to the fishies in the canal. :D

Did you drink any '14.2' whilst you were there.

I got dragged around Amsterdam by a bunch of Dutchmen pouring that down my throat  ;D

That'll get you talking to more than just the fishies.

Written By: La Sine Pesroh on 11/06/05 at 6:40 pm

Did you drink any '14.2' whilst you were there.

I got dragged around Amsterdam by a bunch of Dutchmen pouring that down my throat  ;D

That'll get you talking to more than just the fishies.
What kind of buzz did it have?

Written By: Alchoholica on 11/07/05 at 11:59 am

What kind of buzz did it have?

The kind that makes everything darker and fuzzier than it really is  ;D

It tastes like a fairly regular larger, kinda white, I suppose i would compare it to Hoegaarden.

Except that it's a 14.2% beer so having one is like having about 3 of your crappy american ones  ;D

I had about 12 pints and a lot of shots and remember sitting wondering why things were so dark  ;D

Couldn't tell you....I know I drank some cherry flavored stuff and some NASTY anise flavored stuff.....oh, and beer, of course ;)

The Belgians are renowned for their great beers and they're marvelous, however, the Dutch give em a run for their money. What i found was that in Belgium and France, you generally only get a large selection in certian places and often have to go several miles away to find different beers. In Holland all the bars have dozens and dozens.

Written By: alyceclover on 11/07/05 at 12:29 pm

Yes....in Amsterdam.   I don't know if it was that or the "cigarettes" that had me talking to the fishies in the canal. :D

;D ;D ;D

Written By: alyceclover on 11/07/05 at 12:36 pm

......In the United States, absinthe is not a controlled substance but its sale in bars and liqour stores is banned. Absinthe is still however legal to purchase and possess in the United States . In most of the European Union, absinthe may be sold as long as it stays at 10mg of thujone. In Canada, absinthe is completely legal, and on sale in some liquor stores.

Unlike most other internet based absinthe shops, our absinthes contain the original levels of the psychoactive ingredient thujone. It is thujone that produces the celebrated "absinthe effects".....

have heard of it; brother-in-law used to drink it; so gave us a big bottle; didn't care for taste, so used it for cooking....not aware of above, till I did a search just now  :)

Written By: jaytee on 11/08/05 at 6:57 am

It's like rocket fuel.  There's an old Russian guy who makes it up in the mountains about an hour south of where I live.  His wife handpaints the bottles.  A friend bought it for the gorgeous bottle and one night we decided to give the contents a go.  OMG  :o

Written By: Suicidal Blonde on 11/08/05 at 1:00 pm

I've NEVER seen it on the shelves here in the States. In the movie Bram Stokers 'Dracula' they  drank it with a sugar cube. I hear its almost considered poison......I wonder if its anything like Everclear?

Written By: Alchoholica on 11/08/05 at 1:32 pm

I've NEVER seen it on the shelves here in the States. In the movie Bram Stokers 'Dracula' they  drank it with a sugar cube. I hear its almost considered poison......I wonder if its anything like Everclear?

Everlcear is around 95% isn't it. Some absinthes are that potent, they tend to range from the high 60's to the mid 90's. I know there is something in Poland (that i can't remember the name of) that comes in at about 97%.
Never had Everclear but from what i hear it's nasty sh!t.. Absinthe is pretty nice depending on what kind you have.

Check for new replies or respond here...