inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What Events/Music/Cultural Changes Happened the Year You Were Born?

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 11/07/05 at 1:53 pm

This may be fun to talk about.. I'll pipe in later when I get a free moment...

Subject: Re: What Events/Music/Cultural Changes Happened the Year You Were Born?

Written By: ktelqueen on 11/07/05 at 2:03 pm

Woodstock  :)

Subject: Re: What Events/Music/Cultural Changes Happened the Year You Were Born?

Written By: gemini on 11/07/05 at 2:49 pm

JFK inaugurated--first Roman Catholic President
JFK established the Peace Corps
Berlin Wall is erected
Ernest Hemmingway dies of a self inflicted gunshot wound
Bob Dylan plays his first gig in New York
Ken doll is introduced
Electric Toothbrush
and last, but certainly not least, Fritos hit the shelves!  8)

Written By: Apricot on 11/07/05 at 2:53 pm

Uh... Grunge was just coming in.

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 11/07/05 at 3:05 pm

In the year that I was born...

~ The Vietnam War was in its early years

~ Medicare went into effect

~ Measles vaccine was introduced

~ Walt Disney died

~ Batman (the television series) was popular

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 11/07/05 at 3:23 pm

Cool stuff everyone!

Okay here's what happened the year I was born..

- Falklands War was at full force

- Prince William was born; Ingrid Bergman and Princess Grace died.

- First artificial heart surgery successful.

- "Tootsie," "Fast Times At Ridgemont High," "An Officer and a Gentleman," "Ghandi," and "ET" were all hit movies.

Written By: nally on 11/07/05 at 3:27 pm

Events of 1980:

Ronald Reagan was elected President of the U.S., defeating incumbent Jimmy Carter by a landslide. ::)
Actor Steve McQueen died at age 50. :(
I'll think of more later

Popular songs of 1980:

"Call Me" by Blondie
"Fame" by Irene Cara
"Another One Bites The Dust" by Queen (parodied by Weird Al Yankovic into "Another One Rides The Bus" right around that time)
"It's Still Rock & Roll To Me" by Billy Joel

Written By: rich1981 on 11/07/05 at 3:48 pm

I was born in 1981 so lets see...

Events:

- President Ronald Reagan is shot in the chest outside a hotel by John Hinckley, Jr.
- Space Shuttle: Columbia is launched
- MTV is launched
- The original IBM PC is released in the U.S.
- Sandra Day O'Connor is the first female US Supreme Court Justice appointed
- Births: Alicia Keys, Paris Hilton, Jonathan Taylor Thomas, Nicole Richie, Britney Spears
- Deaths: Bob Marley

Songs:
"Celebration" - Kool & The Gang
"Keep On Loving You" - REO Speedwagon
"Jessie's Girl" - Rick Springfield
"Private Eyes", "Kiss On My List" - Hall & Oates
"One Day In Your LIfe" - Michael Jackson
"Under Pressure" - Queen & David Bowie
"Begin The Beguine" - Julio Iglesias
"Shake It Up" - The Cars
"Planet Earth" - Duran Duran

I'm sure there is a lot more that happened than this though.

Written By: Howard on 11/07/05 at 3:49 pm

Funk And Disco burst onto the scene in 1974.

Written By: nally on 11/07/05 at 3:55 pm

Oh yes. Some famous people born in the same year as me include:

Nick Carter (singer, member of the Backstreet Boys, Jan. 28)
Christina Ricci (actress, Feb. 12)
Venus Williams (tennis player, June 17)
Macaulay Culkin (actor, Aug. 26)
Michelle Williams (actress, Sept. 9....not to be confused with the Destiny's Child singer, who was born July 23)
Monica Arnold (singer, who generally recorded under her first name only, Oct. 24)
Marla Sokoloff (actress, Dec. 19)

I'll probably think of some more 1980-born celebs later as well...

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 11/07/05 at 3:57 pm

Michelle Williams (actress, Sept. 9....not to be confused with the Destiny's Child singer, who was born July 23)
Monica Arnold (singer, who generally recorded under her first name only, Oct. 24)

It's funny you'd mention Marla Sokoloff. She's from my hometown and I saw her in a talent show at our town's highschool waaaayyy before she became an actress.. 1993, I believe (We have her on video!)

Written By: nally on 11/07/05 at 3:58 pm

It's funny you'd mention Marla Sokoloff. She's from my hometown and I saw her in a talent show at our town's highschool waaaayyy before she became an actress.. 1993, I believe (We have her on video!)

Amazing! You saw her in person? ;)

Right around that time (1993), she began acting on "Full House", playing the recurring role of Gia Mahan, one of Stephanie's schoolmates.

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 11/07/05 at 5:04 pm

Born a few weeks after the Live Aid concerts in '85.  8)

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 11/07/05 at 5:07 pm

Amazing! You saw her in person? ;)

Right around that time (1993), she began acting on "Full House", playing the recurring role of Gia Mahan, one of Stephanie's schoolmates.

Ohh, wow, I didn't even know she had been on TV at that time. I had never heard of her, but she actually ended up winning the talent show after singing "Don't Rain On My Parade" Maybe I can screen capture the video sometime.

Written By: STAR70 on 11/07/05 at 5:37 pm

Woodstock  :)

...and a short, but historic walk by Neil Armstrtong

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/07/05 at 5:52 pm

This is totally going to date me  :-[: JFK assassinated.

Cat

Written By: Tanya1976 on 11/07/05 at 6:09 pm

I was born in 1976, let's see:

1. Patty Hearst was kidnapped
2. Pol Pot became dictator in Cambodia.
3. Legionnaire's Disease strikes in Philadelphia (my hometown, go figure)
4. Jimmy Carter becomes president
5. Pittsburgh Steelers win Super Bowl.
6. Cincinnati wins World Series
7. Boston wins NBA championship.
8. Rocky, Taxi Driver, Network, All the President's Menmes out
9. The summer and winter olympics.
10. The book, Roots by Alex Haley, is published.
10. Oh, yeah, it was the country's bicentennial!

Written By: JamieMcBain on 11/07/05 at 6:38 pm

The first commercial Concorde flight takes off.
1976 Winter Olympics open in Innsbruck, Austria.
Apple Computer Company is formed by Steve Jobs and Steve Wozniak.
The Ramones release their first album.
The Son of Sam murders start taking place.
Viking 2 enters into orbit around Mars.
First laser printer introduced by IBM - the IBM 3800.
Toronto Blue Jays created.
CN Tower built in Toronto - The tallest free standing land structure.
Ebola is first discovered in Zaire.

Agatha Christie,  Sal Mineo, Busby Berkeley, and Howard Hughes died this year.

Movies released in 1976

All the President's Men
The Omen
The Bad News Bears
Marathon Man
Network
Taxi Driver
Rocky

TV Shows

Charlie's Angels
Laverne and Shirley
Quincy M.E.
The Muppet Show
The Bionic Woman

Albums

Hotel California   - The Eagles
Taking It To The Streets - The Doobie Brothers
Blondie - Blondie
Boston - Boston
A Day At The Races - Queen
Destroyer - KISS
Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap - AC/DC
Frampton Comes Alive! - Pete Frampton
The Ramones - The Ramones
The Song Remains the Same - Led Zepplin
Songs in the Key of Life - Stevie Wonder
Station to Station - David Bowie
2112 - Rush

Wheeeeeeww..... seems like a stuff happend that year!  ;D

Written By: gord on 11/07/05 at 6:50 pm

in 64 The Beatles play the Ed Sullivan Show and Ford introduces their Mustang :)

Written By: YWN on 11/07/05 at 7:14 pm

Uh... Grunge was just coming in.

...What he said.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 11/07/05 at 7:23 pm

...What he said.

Oh, I'm sure there was more going on than that...  ;D

Written By: YWN on 11/07/05 at 7:26 pm

Oh, I'm sure there was more going on than that...  ;D

Hold on, I've got one...

I was born.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 11/07/05 at 7:27 pm

Hold on, I've got one...

I was born.

You Got it!  :)

Written By: loki 13 on 11/07/05 at 8:53 pm

The Year 1962:

John Glenn is the first American to achieve earth orbit:

Nazi war criminal Adolf Eichmann is executed in Israel:

Soviet missle bases detected in Cuba:

Yankees beat San Francisco in world series 4-3

The Flintstones

The Monster Mash

Written By: Alchoholica on 11/07/05 at 9:36 pm

Australia celebrates it's Bicentennial
Iran Contra
Soviet army pulls out of Aghanistan
Holland Beats the Soviet Union 2-0 to win the European Championships!  :) - WAHEY!
Wayne Gretsky leaves Edmonton  :o
Holland becomes the second country to get hooked up to the Internet
Dodgers win the world series
Lakers win the NBA Playoffs
Redskins win the Superbowl
WIMBLEDON WIN THE FA CUP!
Edmonton win the Stanley Cup

Significant Births -

Haley Jowel Osment
Brooke Hogan
Princess Beatrice of York

Deaths -

Sean McBride (I.R.A Leader)  :\'(
Roy Orbison
Enzo Ferrari

Written By: alyceclover on 11/07/05 at 9:42 pm

too young to be aware of events of that year  :) so did a web search and nothing significant happened (except that a lot of cool people were born?)

Written By: Morton on 11/08/05 at 9:55 am

Nothing major happened in the year I was birthed (87), but I was born during a really bad storm which was sweeping through Britain, and beforehand, one of the BBC weathermen who had been broadcasting had said that although there were people phoning in and reporting storm-like weather, there was nothing to worry about - how wrong he was! So, apart from nobody trusting weatherpeople again, nothing too important happened when I was born  ;D

BeeGees - You Win Again was no1 on the day I was born, and Meatloaf also shares the same birthday as me (although not quite the same year, obviously!)  ;D

Written By: nally on 11/08/05 at 11:14 am

Nothing major happened in the year I was birthed (87), but I was born during a really bad storm which was sweeping through Britain, and beforehand, one of the BBC weathermen who had been broadcasting had said that although there were people phoning in and reporting storm-like weather, there was nothing to worry about - how wrong he was! So, apart from nobody trusting weatherpeople again, nothing too important happened when I was born  ;D

BeeGees - You Win Again was no1 on the day I was born, and Meatloaf also shares the same birthday as me (although not quite the same year, obviously!)  ;D

I was only seven years old at the time, but I think I can help ya out here...

Then-Pope John Paul II made a historic visit to Los Angeles in September.

Paul Simon released his "Graceland" album; the title track from it won the Grammy Award for best Record Of The Year.

Written By: Tia on 11/08/05 at 11:30 am

wow. y'all so young!

my big one was that we landed on the moon. (supposedly! lol.) let's see, i think midnight cowboy came out that year. apparently the first concorde trial flight was that year. and i'm sure there was lots of depressing vietnam stuff, i don't remember because i was too busy swatting at shiny things.

Written By: Alchoholica on 11/08/05 at 12:59 pm

Ah yes, Michael Fish's infamous "There is no hurricane' Hurricane  ;D My mate Pete was born the night it hit.

Written By: Tia on 11/08/05 at 1:54 pm

You Got it!  :)

oh yeah! i remember reading about that in the papers. :)

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 11/08/05 at 1:56 pm

Yeah, it was that Roy Orbison song, lol.  ;D

Written By: Tia on 11/08/05 at 1:57 pm

...and a short, but historic walk by Neil Armstrtong

oh, yeah, and woodstock. i forgot about that.

don't quote me, but i think the MPAA rating system (G, PG, R, X) was established that year.

Written By: nally on 11/08/05 at 1:59 pm

To add for 1980 (my birth year)...

In sports, the Philadelphia Phillies beat the Kansas City Royals in the World Series. My team, the L.A. Dodgers, had finished in a first-place tie for first in the N.L. West division with the Astros, but the Astros won the playoff game, so they advanced to the postseason, only to lose to the Phillies.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 11/08/05 at 2:05 pm

To add for 1980 (my birth year)...

In sports, the Philadelphia Phillies beat the Kansas City Royals in the World Series. My team, the L.A. Dodgers, had finished in a first-place tie for first in the N.L. West division with the Astros, but the Astros won the playoff game, so they advanced to the postseason, only to lose to the Phillies.

What a total bummer that had to have been for the Dodgers!

Written By: nally on 11/08/05 at 2:07 pm

What a total bummer that had to have been for the Dodgers!

A year later, they went on to beat the Yankees in the World Series. 8)

Written By: Howard on 11/08/05 at 2:13 pm

Richard Nixon was impeached on August 8th,1974.

Written By: nally on 11/08/05 at 2:16 pm

Richard Nixon was impeached on August 8th,1974.

He resigned the next day. I don't think he was actually impeached, though. He probably would have been if he hadn't resigned from office.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 11/08/05 at 2:23 pm

^ Ahh, sweet revenge (I can't stand the Yankees).

Also, here are some nifty things about the year I was born which I overlooked (1982)

- MRI (Magnetic Resonance Imaging) was introduced for the first time in Britain.

- San Francisco Forty Niner's won the Superbowl.

- "Chariots of Fire" was awarded Best Picture in 1982, but "Ghandi" won for 1982 at the '83 Oscars (does that make sense?)

-  Alice Walker's "The Color Purple" and Thomas Keneally's "Schindler's List" were both published.

- Premiering television shows - Cagney & Lacey, Silver Spoons, Remington Steele, Newhart, Fame, Family Ties, Cheers, Square Pegs, Knight Rider, etc.

- Television Shows Ending - Lou Grant, Mork & Mindy, Bosom Buddies, Barney Miller, etc.

Written By: nally on 11/08/05 at 2:24 pm

^ Ahh, sweet revenge (I can't stand the Yankees).

Me neither; I'd like to see them head back to their pre-1995 selves someday. ::)

Written By: Howard on 11/08/05 at 2:25 pm

He resigned the next day. I don't think he was actually impeached, though. He probably would have been if he hadn't resigned from office.

My Mother saved the paper but 31 years later,I had to throw out the newspaper.It got all yellow and smelly from deterioration.   :P

Written By: nally on 11/08/05 at 2:28 pm

My Mother saved the paper but 31 years later,I had to throw out the newspaper.It got all yellow and smelly from deterioration. :P

Yeah...newspapers tend to deteriorate after long periods of time. I still have a copy of the L.A. Times from the day I was born (my parents saved it). It's been around for 25 years, but anytime I read it I handle it with care.

Written By: Howard on 11/08/05 at 2:31 pm

Yeah...newspapers tend to deteriorate after long periods of time. I still have a copy of the L.A. Times from the day I was born (my parents saved it). It's been around for 25 years, but anytime I read it I handle it with care.

I've been collecting vintage newspapers and articles for 13 years now.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 11/08/05 at 2:33 pm

I have the newspaper the day I was born (some 23 years ago), but it's just showing the local births - no news and such. It's all yellow and stinks of cedar (like my mom's hope chest). I also have the calendar they were using circling the possible day I was "suppose" to be born. It also showed my dad's bowling nights, golf nights and work nights, pay days, etc., lol.

Written By: nally on 11/08/05 at 2:34 pm

I've been collecting vintage newspapers and articles for 13 years now.

Really?! :D :o :) I think it was about 1992 when I began collecting newspaper articles too...anything that sounded interesting to me and/or happened at a school I went to. I have about 60 articles/tidbits, but would like to get them into a nice big scrapbook or something where I can easily store them without having to fold them up.

Written By: Howard on 11/08/05 at 2:36 pm

Really?! :D :o :) I think it was about 1992 when I began collecting newspaper articles too...anything that sounded interesting to me and/or happened at a school I went to. I have about 60 articles/tidbits, but would like to get them into a nice big scrapbook or something where I can easily store them without having to fold them up.

All Together I started out in 1987 when Michael Jackson was a hot item so actually it was 18 years.

Written By: whistledog on 11/08/05 at 3:06 pm

1977 ...

--------------------------------------------------------------

Too many Births to mention, but here are the well-known folks who passed away  :\'(

--- DEATHS ---

Ulysses S. Grant
Freddie Prinze Sr.
Elvis Presley
Gummo Marx
Groucho Marx
Steve Biko
Marc Bolan
Joan Crawford
Sebastian Cabot
Bing Crosby
Ronnie Van Zant (Lynyrd Skynyrd)
Steve Gaines (Lynyrd Skynyrd)
Guy Lombardo
Charlie Chaplin

--- EVENTS ---

- Nintendo created the Color TV Game
http://www.terredejeux.net/nintendo_.jpg

- The NYC Blackout of 1977
- Jimmy Carter becomes the 39th President of the United States of America
- David Burkowitz, the Son of Sam goes on a killing spree
- Bucharest Earthquake kills more than 1,500 people
- Snow Falls in Miami, Florida for the first time ever
- American citizen Roy Sullivan is struck by lightning for the 7th time in his lifetime

--- BOX OFFICE HIT MOVIES ---

- Star Wars
- The Goodbye Girl
- Close Encounters of the Third Kind
- Annie Hall
- Pete's Dragon
- The Spy Who Loved Me
- Smokey and the Bandit
- Oh, God
- Saturday Night Fever
- Freaky Friday

--- MUSIC ---

- Debby Boone has the biggest hit with "You Light Up My Life"
- The Bee Gees have their biggest hit with the soundtrack to "Saturday Night Fever"
- Crystal Gayle releases her most successful hit "Don't it Make My Brown Eyes Blue"
- "Gonna Fly Now", the instrumental theme from the movie Rocky by Bill Conti reaches #1 on Billboard
- Andy Gibb has his first US hit with "I Just Want to Be Your Everything". It reaches #1 on Billboard
- Hall and Oates have their first #1 on Billboard with "Rich Girl"

- Canadian singer and ex-Guess Who vocalist Burton Cummings has his only US top 10 hit with "Stand Tall"

- Canadian glam rockers Sweeney Todd (whose Canadian #1 hit "Roxy Roller" had previously become a minor hit in America with Nick Gilder on vocals) re-record "Roxy Roller" with new vocalist Bryan Adams and it re-charts in America

- Canadian rock band Prism release their self-titled debut album.  The singles "Take Me to the Kaptin" and "Spaceship Superstar" hit the Canadian top 40 and even become minor hits in America

--- TELEVISION PREMIERS---

- Fantasy Island
- Eight is Enough
- Three's Company
- SOAP
- CHiPs
- Lou Grant
- The Love Boat
- 100 Huntley Street
- The Newlywed Game (Updated version)
- Name That Tune (Updated Version)
- Roots (Miniseries)
- Jesus of Nazareth (Miniseries)

--- TELEVISION SHOWS - CANCELLATIONS---

- The Electric Company
- Emergency!
- Let's Make A Deal (Original Syndicated Version)
- Mary Tyler Moore
- McCloud
- MacMillan and Wife
- Sandford and Son
- Land of the Lost
- The New Treasure Hunt

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/08/05 at 3:38 pm

wow. y'all so young!

Thank you.  ;D ;D ;D

Actually, I also forgot to mention that General Hospital and I were born on the exact same day.

Cat

Written By: nally on 11/08/05 at 4:10 pm

1977 ...

Too many Births to mention, but here are the well-known folks who passed away  :\'(

--- DEATHS ---

Ulysses S. Grant

Ulysses S. Grant?! :o :o I thought he died about 100 years earlier. He left the office of President of the United States in 1877.

Written By: Tia on 11/08/05 at 4:25 pm

Ulysses S. Grant?! :o :o I thought he died about 100 years earlier. He left the office of President of the United States in 1877.

well, you know, he ate right.

man, 1977 was a GREAT year for movies! now, i thought freaky friday was 76? and close encounters was 78? and saturday night fever was 79? shows you what i know, i guess. it's all a big blur now.

i looovvvvved close encounters. and star wars, obviously.

Written By: nally on 11/08/05 at 4:30 pm

well, you know, he ate right.

man, 1977 was a GREAT year for movies! now, i thought freaky friday was 76? and close encounters was 78? and saturday night fever was 79? shows you what i know, i guess. it's all a big blur now.

i looovvvvved close encounters. and star wars, obviously.

For the record, President Useless S. Grant died on July 23, 1885, of throat cancer.

Written By: Tia on 11/08/05 at 4:38 pm

For the record, President Grant died on July 23, 1885, of throat cancer.

ah, yes. 1885. who could forget?  :D

i wonder if it's a grandson or something?

i'm anal enough that i actually buzzed over to imdb.com and they DO list freaky friday as 1976. (jodie foster was almost going to be princess leia, apparently. did y'all know that? she was also slated to be my avatar character but she was busy with little girl who lives down the lane or some such...) the rest they list as 1977, so i'm totally wrong. a lot of times movies have alternate dates, one for when the movie's finished production and another for when it actually gets released... which leads to confusion. and then other people give it the date of its international release, which can confuse things. i've actually seen star wars attributed as 1978! which i guess was when it was internationally released.

anyway, yeah, '77 rocked. too bad you were rolling around in a crib, danni fαη! you missed out!  :)

Written By: nally on 11/08/05 at 4:40 pm

anyway, yeah, '77 rocked. too bad you were rolling around in a crib, danni fan you missed out! :)

And I wasn't even born yet!

I was minus three! ;D

Written By: Paul on 11/08/05 at 4:50 pm

I had the onslaught of 'pyschedelia', Summer Of Love and all that...

Colour TV eventually made it to the UK (albeit one station had it, and that only broadcast 2 colour programmes per day! But it counts!)

And the day I came into the world, so did the world's first-ever automatic cash dispenser...

Written By: Tia on 11/08/05 at 4:52 pm

And I wasn't even born yet!

I was minus three! ;D

i always try to softpedal this bad news for you youngsters but the seventies were GREAT. music was better, the movie system was way more quirky and independent than it is now, videogames were just getting started, and oi! the sportscars! the corvette stingray alone totally made the 70s better than any other decade in history. and there was free love! not that i was getting any of that at 5 years old, but still, the stories sounded good. and the president wore turtlenecks and was supermellow! everything was mellow! and set to the accompaniment of wah-wah pedals!

sorry y'all. maybe it's just cuz i was so young, but my memories of 70s pop culture are quite fond. i guess the good news is most of that stuff is still around.

Written By: whistledog on 11/08/05 at 9:19 pm

For the record, President Useless S. Grant died on July 23, 1885, of throat cancer.

This was Ulysses S. Grant the 4th, the grandson of President Ulysses S. Grant.  He was an American Geologist and Paleontologist

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 11/09/05 at 7:51 pm

i always try to softpedal this bad news for you youngsters but the seventies were GREAT. music was better, the movie system was way more quirky and independent than it is now, videogames were just getting started, and oi! the sportscars! the corvette stingray alone totally made the 70s better than any other decade in history. and there was free love! not that i was getting any of that at 5 years old, but still, the stories sounded good. and the president wore turtlenecks and was supermellow! everything was mellow! and set to the accompaniment of wah-wah pedals!

sorry y'all. maybe it's just cuz i was so young, but my memories of 70s pop culture are quite fond. i guess the good news is most of that stuff is still around.

I always hear cool things about the 70's. My mom was in her twenties throughout the 70's and has lots of pictures, memories, etc. that's been inbedded into my own memory. I've always had a fondness for that time, even though I never "lived" it. :0)

Written By: Dominic L. on 11/09/05 at 9:42 pm

Uh... Nevermind by Nirvana came out...

Written By: Tia on 11/09/05 at 10:07 pm

Uh... Nevermind by Nirvana came out...

that's a great album, tho.

Written By: nally on 11/10/05 at 1:30 pm

This was Ulysses S. Grant the 4th, the grandson of President Ulysses S. Grant.  He was an American Geologist and Paleontologist

Thanks for clearing that up.  I was confused for a moment there.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 11/10/05 at 1:37 pm

I had the onslaught of 'pyschedelia', Summer Of Love and all that...

Colour TV eventually made it to the UK (albeit one station had it, and that only broadcast 2 colour programmes per day! But it counts!)

And the day I came into the world, so did the world's first-ever automatic cash dispenser...

Paul you're quite indespensible! :0)

Written By: alyceclover on 11/13/05 at 8:27 pm

feel awful lonely here..oops, wrong thread...only found one Event Change for that year, so instead here's a list of some things that occured on the day I was born, but different years:
in 1492 Columbus' fleet set sail west
in 1776 Continental Congress renamed "United Colonies," "US"
in 1817  Alexander Lucius Twilight, probably 1st black to graduate from U.S. college, received BA degree at Middlebury College
in 1822 Napoleon J K P Bonaparte was born
in 1828 Leo Tolstoy was born (never read 'War & Peace', tho' I tried...)
in 1839  John Herschel took 1st glass plate photograph
in 1850 California became the 31st state  8)
in 1941 singer, Otis Redding was born
in 1945 singer 'Dee Dee Sharp' was born
:)  in 1945 1st "bug" in a computer program discovered by Grace Hopper, moth was removed with tweasers from a relay and taped into the log
in 1946 musician Billy Preston was born
in 1948 People's Democratic Republic of Korea proclaimed
in 1949 American football legend, Joe Theismann was born
in 1951 actor Michael Keaton was born
in 1956 Elvis Presley made his first televised appearance on the Ed Sullivan Show
in 1957 US President Eisenhower signed the first Civil Rights Bill since Reconstuction
in 1960 actor Hugh Grant was born
in 1966 actor Adam Sanler was born (did I ever tell you about the time I was in a movie with Adam Sandler...?)
in 1966 John Lennon met Yoko Ono at an avante-garde art exposition (someone found this event note-worthy)
in 1969 model Rachel Hunter was born
in 1971 John Lennon released "Imagine" album

September 9th

Written By: nally on 11/13/05 at 9:48 pm

To add:

Vanessa Carlton (singer, Aug. 16)
Ben Savage (actor, Sept. 13)
Ashanti (R&B singer, Oct. 13)
Isaac Hanson (pop singer/musician, member of Hanson, Nov. 17)

Written By: whistledog on 11/13/05 at 10:34 pm

Here's some famous folks born in '77, my birth year:

January 4 - Tim Wheeler (Lead Singer for Ash)
January 7 - Dustin "Screech" Diamond
January 8 - Amber Benson
January 10 - Bart the Bear (Actual Bear who appeared as the bald-headed bear in "The Great Outdoors", among other popular films)
January 13 - Orlando Bloom
January 26 - Vince Carter
January 28 - Joey Fatone
January 31 - Kerry Washington

February 2 - Shakira
February 4 - Gavin DeGraw
February 22 - James Blunt

March 2 - Heather McComb
March 3 - Ronan Keating
March 6 - Bubba Sparxxx
March 8 - James Van Der Beek
March 23 - Josh Ackerman
March 24 - Quinnes Dammond Parker (of 112)

April 12 - Sarah Jane Morris
April 13 - Adam Birch
April 14 - Sarah Michelle Gellar
April 24 - Eric Balfour

May 2 - Jenna Von Oy
May 13 - Samantha Morton

June 8 - Kanye West
June 21 - Kenny Wayne Shepherd
June 21 - Sarah Slean
June 23 - Jason Mraz

July 1 - Liv Tyler
July 7 - Imogen Bailey
July 12 - Steve Howey
July 30 - Jamie Pressly http://67.18.37.16/html/emoticons/wub.gif

August 2 - Edward Furlong
August 3 - Tom Brady
August 6 - Jennifer Lyons
August 9 - Peter Van Hoof
August 11 - Gemma Hayes

September 11 - Chris "Ludacris" Bridges
September 13 - Fiona Apple
September 16 - Musiq
September 25 - Clea DuVall

October 29 - Jon Abrahams

November 1 - Alistair Griffin
November 14 - Obie Trice
November 16 - Maggie Gyllenhaal
November 19 - Kerri Strug
November 20 - Josh Turner
November 24 - Colin Hanks

Written By: nally on 11/13/05 at 10:45 pm

^ I'm sure there will be other folks to add to the 1977 list, such as...

May 28 - Elizabeth Hasselbeck (co-host of "The View")

October 16 - John Mayer

December 1 - Brad Delson (member of Linkin Park)

Written By: whistledog on 11/13/05 at 10:52 pm

^ I'm sure there will be other folks to add to the 1977 list, such as...

May 28 - Elizabeth Hasselbeck (co-host of "The View")

October 16 - John Mayer

December 1 - Brad Delson (member of Linkin Park)

I can't believe I missed those three.  I scanned the list of 1977 births for almost an hour LOL

Written By: nally on 11/13/05 at 10:54 pm

I can't believe I missed those three.  I scanned the list of 1977 births for almost an hour LOL
Did you find them from some web site? If so, maybe I could find a listing of 1980 births (I've already listed the ones I know off the top of my head)

Written By: whistledog on 11/13/05 at 10:55 pm

Did you find them from some web site? If so, maybe I could find a listing of 1980 births (I've already listed the ones I know off the top of my head)

The Internet Movie Database has a complete listing of births.  Here's the link to 1980 births for you :)

http://us.imdb.com/BornInYear?1980

Written By: nally on 11/13/05 at 10:58 pm

The Internet Movie Database has a complete listing of births. Here's the link to 1980 births for you :)

http://us.imdb.com/BornInYear?1980

Oh yes, I visit the Internet Movie Database site quite frequently. I suppose I could follow that link, but there'll probably be a ton of people there who I've never heard of, and are probably not very well known.

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 11/13/05 at 11:01 pm

Events:
February 1 - AM stereo broadcasting starts in Australia.
April 23 - Coca-Cola, changed its recipe/formula and packaging.
April 23 - Coca-Cola company switches to New Coke (not successful)
July 13 - Live Aid pop concerts in Philadelphia and London raise over £50 million for famine relief in Ethiopia.
August 6 - In Hiroshima, tens of thousands mark the 40th anniversary of the atomic bombing of the city.
November 13 - The volcano Nevado del Ruiz erupts in Colombia, killing an estimated 23,000 people.

Births:
October 11 - Michelle Trachtenberg, American actress
October 22 - Zachary Hanson, American musician
November 8 - Jack Osbourne, English actor
December 5 - Frankie Muniz, American actor
December 10 - Raven Symone, American actress

Deaths:
Too many to count...

Music:
January 28 - Various artists, including Ray Charles, Bob Dylan, Michael Jackson, Billy Joel, Cyndi Lauper, Willie Nelson, Lionel Richie, Smokey Robinson, Kenny Rogers, Diana Ross, Paul Simon, Bruce Springsteen, Tina Turner and Stevie Wonder, record the song "We Are The World".
April 1 - David Lee Roth "Officially" leaves Van Halen to begin a solo career. Although...Both sides (Roth & the rest of Van Halen) had been talking about it since 1985 began.
July 13 - Live Aid concert in Wembley and Philadelphia.
September 22 - Farm Aid concert in Champaign, Illinois.

Some albums:
7800 Fahrenheit - Bon Jovi
Around the World in a Day - Prince
Brothers in Arms - Dire Straits
Fables of the Reconstruction - R.E.M.
We are the World - USA for Africa
Youthquake - Dead or Alive

Some Top Hits:
"Don't You (Forget About Me)" - Simple Minds
"Glory Days" - Bruce Springsteen
"We Built This City" - Jefferson Starship
"I Want to Know What Love Is" - Foreigner
"Money for Nothing" - Dire Straits
"We Are the World" - USA for Africa
August 3 Shout Tears For Fears (Number one song the week I was born)

Grammies:
    * Record of the Year
          o Terry Britten (producer) & Tina Turner for "What's Love Got to Do with It?"

* Album of the Year
          o James Anthony Carmichael (producer) & Lionel Richie (producer & artist) for Can't Slow Down

* Song of the Year
          o Terry Britten & Graham Lyle (songwriters) for "What's Love Got to Do with It?" performed by Tina Turner

* Best New Artist
          o Cyndi Lauper

* Whew! That was alot of cut'n'pasting!  :o

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 11/13/05 at 11:57 pm

^ thanks for putting all that neato info together, Jeff, Mr. Red Shirt, Ayleclover and Whistle

I am not sure if I ever have compiled a list of births the year I was born, but here are some that were born in 1982:

Kirsten Dunst
Jessica Biel
Thora Birch
Vanessa Byrant (Kobe's wife)
Ryan Cabrera
Lacey Chabert
Kelly Clarkson
Erika Christenson
Michael Copon
Elisha Cuthbert
Schuyler Fisk
Anne Hathaway
Jonathan Jackson

Written By: Marty McFly on 11/14/05 at 8:38 am

I'll have to get back to ya for a "detailed" list (because, well, you know me, and I take alot of precision and time talking about stuff I like!), but in short:

MTV started that year. In fact, it's exactly 33 days older than me. ;)

I was born just about when the late 70's-styled things faded away (there was still a little in '82 and VERY little in '83, but basically I'd draw the line of the beginning of the "real" 80's around mid 1981). 8)

Written By: Tia on 11/14/05 at 9:27 am

wow. i remember new coke. i was in high school.

now i feel REALLY old!

new coke wasn't that bad, actually. it's just you couldn't get the old stuff anymore after the new stuff came out. there are some purists who claim when they went back to classic coke it wasn't quite the same and hasn't ever quite gone back to what it was before...

Written By: nally on 11/14/05 at 10:42 pm

I'll have to get back to ya for a "detailed" list (because, well, you know me, and I take alot of precision and time talking about stuff I like!), but in short:

MTV started that year. In fact, it's exactly 33 days older than me. ;)

So it would be about 386 days younger than me! :)

Written By: nally on 11/17/05 at 10:29 pm

Some famous people born in the same year as me include:

To add:

Vanessa Carlton (singer, Aug. 16)
Ben Savage (actor, Sept. 13)
Ashanti (R&B singer, Oct. 13)
Isaac Hanson (pop singer/musician, member of Hanson, Nov. 17)

to add:

Jessica Simpson...who is one day older than me! :D

Written By: nally on 10/29/06 at 1:20 am

I saw a Spider viewing this thread just now, so I thought I'd give it a Bump! ;)

Written By: Sister Morphine on 10/29/06 at 1:44 am

---1982---

* The Vietnam Memorial is built in Washington D.C..
    * A brief but severe recession begins in the United States.
    * Seattle officially dubbed the Emerald City after a contest held to choose a new city slogan.
    * George Stigler wins The Bank of Sweden Prize in Economic Sciences in Memory of Alfred Nobel.
    * Toyota Camry introduced.
    * Dorling Kindersley begins publishing.
    * Commodore 64 is released. The Commodore 64 goes on to sell over 20 million computers until 1994.
    * The first compact discs appear in music stores in Asia.
    * Comedian and Blues Brother John Belushi is found dead of an apparent drug overdose in the Chateau Marmont Hotel in Los Angeles, California
    * Surround Sound is introduced for home use by Dolby.
    * The Weather Channel launches in the U.S

Written By: Howard on 10/30/06 at 4:33 pm

Disco and Funk made their way on the dance floor

Check for new replies or respond here...