inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Favorite holiday food?

Written By: Dominic L. on 11/07/05 at 4:09 pm

I like pumpkin pie.

And I know people will disagree with this, but.. Egg nog too

Subject: Re: Favorite holiday food?

Written By: Apricot on 11/07/05 at 4:15 pm

Egg nog is good in small doses. I'm glad it's only a Christmas thing.. once in a while is a special treat.

Pumpkin Pie is great. I love it.

My family makes some really good Christmas cookies.. the only thing they do right during the winter. We found this really good recipe.. I'll put it up some time, it's da bomb.

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 11/07/05 at 4:20 pm

Pumpkin pie doesn't seem... right? There are sometimes peices of pumpkin in a mince pie, but... what does a pumpkin pie look like? (So I can judge if I like it or not)

Xmas food I like:
Pavlova
Trifle
Cold ham on the bone
Cold ham on the bone sandwiches (usually eaten the few days after Xmas)
Ice cold fruit punch (We used to make the best punch ever... haven't done it in a while)
BBQ steaks
Ice-cream

...I'll think of more later.

Written By: Apricot on 11/07/05 at 4:22 pm

You've ne'er seen a pumpkin pie?  :o

Here's a really nice picture of a piece:

http://www.cok.net/photos/misc/food/pumpkinpie.jpg

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 11/07/05 at 4:23 pm

You've ne'er seen a pumpkin pie?  :o

Here's a really nice picture of a piece:

http://www.cok.net/photos/misc/food/pumpkinpie.jpg
I change my mind... that looks nice!  :o

Pumpkin pie just isn't a big thing in New Zealand. I'll try and find a place that sells it.

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 11/07/05 at 4:25 pm

I change my mind... that looks nice!  :o

Pumpkin pie just isn't a big thing in New Zealand. I'll try and find a place that sells it.
Come to think of it, I think it's called "Pumpkin Pudding" here. But still not very popular.

Written By: Suicidal Blonde on 11/07/05 at 4:32 pm

Eggnog is good.  I like all the fudge and mixed nuts at this time of the year.  :)

Written By: jackas on 11/07/05 at 4:38 pm

I think egg nog might be my favorite too. :)

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 11/07/05 at 4:41 pm

Fudge with walnuts!  Yum!!!  :D

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 11/07/05 at 4:42 pm

Truffles:  :D

http://www.mothermyricks.com/images/truffles2.jpg

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 11/07/05 at 4:47 pm

I love most of everything. We use to go to the Sheraton Hotel on Christmas Eve and have steak dinners with our family on my mom's side. So, steak has a place in my heart around this time of year. I also like hot apple cider with cinnamon sticks, smores, homemade fudge, dreambars, stuffing (or as some call it - dressing), turkey and gravy, rum cakes, and so much more.

Written By: Howard on 11/07/05 at 4:56 pm

Pumpkin Pie

Written By: Suicidal Blonde on 11/07/05 at 5:41 pm

Sweet potato caseroles, creamy spinach, southwestern cornbread, turkey, garlic mashed potatos, and salads

Written By: danootaandme on 11/07/05 at 5:49 pm

Apple pie, mince pie, fruit cake, stuffing, cranberry sauce,  ahhh heck I love it all    ;D

Written By: Morton on 11/07/05 at 5:52 pm

Christmas dinner in general. Turkey, mince, vegetables, pudding for desert. Lush!

Written By: Tanya1976 on 11/07/05 at 6:11 pm

Pumpkin Pie, Sweet Potato Pie, Turkey (especially crispy skin), Eggnog, Gingerbread, cranberry sauce, and stuffing.

Written By: Apricot on 11/07/05 at 6:27 pm

Truffles:  :D

http://www.mothermyricks.com/images/truffles2.jpg

Whoa... did you know that pic comes from the same page the Pumpkin Pie pic I posted does?  :o

Written By: JamieMcBain on 11/07/05 at 6:40 pm

Fruit cake

Written By: gemini on 11/07/05 at 8:39 pm

First thing that came to my mind was fudge! My mom makes the best fudge during the holidays.  :) 

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 11/07/05 at 10:26 pm

I love turkey and all of the garnishings on Thanksgiving....on Christmas we usually have a big Italian dinner, which is tradition for us.  Has anyone ever had a torrone? It's an Italian nougat pastry/candy that is popular at Christmastime.

http://rds.yahoo.com/S=96062883/K=torrone/v=2/SID=e/l=IVI/SIG=1250c6d91/EXP=1131510340/*-http%3A//www.wayitalia.net/rootde/img/torrone-g.jpg

Erin :)

Written By: whistledog on 11/07/05 at 10:29 pm

Ham, Stuffing and Mashed Potatoes covered with Gravy  :)

I gain a few extra LB's every Christmas  :-[

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 11/08/05 at 4:26 am

Whoa... did you know that pic comes from the same page the Pumpkin Pie pic I posted does?  :o
Google?

:D

Written By: jackas on 11/08/05 at 8:05 am

I love turkey and all of the garnishings on Thanksgiving....on Christmas we usually have a big Italian dinner, which is tradition for us.  Has anyone ever had a torrone? It's an Italian nougat pastry/candy that is popular at Christmastime.

http://rds.yahoo.com/S=96062883/K=torrone/v=2/SID=e/l=IVI/SIG=1250c6d91/EXP=1131510340/*-http%3A//www.wayitalia.net/rootde/img/torrone-g.jpg

We used to do the same thing! :)  We would have ravioli for Christmas. Yummy!  I've never had torrone though.

Written By: Barefoot_Blues on 11/08/05 at 9:03 am

Pumpkin Pie, Sweet Potato Pie, Turkey (especially crispy skin), Eggnog, Gingerbread, cranberry sauce, and stuffing.

MMMMM...... sweet potato pie....

Written By: Barefoot_Blues on 11/08/05 at 9:04 am

We used to do the same thing! :)  We would have ravioli for Christmas. Yummy!  I've never had torrone though.

We usually do lasagna for our Italian dinner as well. Never tried Torrone either :-\\

Written By: jackas on 11/08/05 at 9:31 am

We usually do lasagna for our Italian dinner as well. Never tried Torrone either :-\\

Really?  Cool!  There is quite a few of us here. :)  I've never met anyone else who has the Italian dinner for Christmas.  I always wondered if we were the only ones.

Written By: Barefoot_Blues on 11/08/05 at 9:33 am

Really?  Cool!  There is quite a few of us here. :)  I've never met anyone else who has the Italian dinner for Christmas.  I always wondered it we were the only ones.
Yeah we do and so does Southern Images family  ;D Maybe we should start a club ;)

Written By: jackas on 11/08/05 at 9:40 am

Yeah we do and so does Southern Images family  ;D Maybe we should start a club ;)

Wow another!  I wonder about nally's family now.

LOL  We'll have a Sons of Italy inthe00s Order. ;D

Written By: jackas on 11/08/05 at 10:05 am

You actually EAT fruit cake ??? :o You're the first person I've ever "met" who does ;D

My favs are ham, turkey, wassail, spiced cider & stuffing. :P  I'm probably one of the only people I know who doesn't really care for pumpkin pie....I love the smell (hence the bazillion candles I have scented like it), but will usually pass on a piece of it :-\\

I feel the same way about pumkin pie.  I don't think it taste bad, but it's not good enough to eat. 

I really dislike turkey though........YUCK!  On Thanksgiving I usually have a plate of mashed potatoes, cranberry sauce, stuffing and vegetables.

Written By: Barefoot_Blues on 11/08/05 at 10:53 am

I used to date an Italian guy and for Christmas, they did the 7 fishes dinner or whatever the "traditional" one was.....probably the one and only time I've ever LIKED that much fish ;)

I don't like fish, so I skip that dish :-X

Written By: YWN on 11/08/05 at 11:04 am

I used to like egg nog, now not so much.  It's too sweet, although I may like it in small doses.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 11/08/05 at 12:08 pm

my great-grandma (before she passed away at the age of 102)....used to have a BIG Italian dinner for my dad and his family, when he was younger. They would have the traditional Italian pastas, etc...but they would also have lots of fish (smelts, squid, etc).

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 11/08/05 at 12:27 pm

I've heard of them but I can't recall eating one. My mom's side is German, so we often have desserts of German origin.

Written By: YWN on 11/08/05 at 12:31 pm

I really dislike turkey though........YUCK!  On Thanksgiving I usually have a plate of mashed potatoes, cranberry sauce, stuffing and vegetables.

You...dislike...turkey...

Chrissy, you are now on my hit list.

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 11/08/05 at 1:23 pm

my great-grandma (before she passed away at the age of 102)....used to have a BIG Italian dinner for my dad and his family, when he was younger. They would have the traditional Italian pastas, etc...but they would also have lots of fish (smelts, squid, etc).

And around Christmas time, she'd break out the ol' Easter Jellybean tree from the previous year ...  :D

Written By: Step-chan on 11/08/05 at 1:35 pm

Turkey, sweet potatoes, sugar cream pie, pumpkin pie and jellied cranberry sauce. :)

Written By: Step-chan on 11/08/05 at 1:46 pm

I used to like egg nog, now not so much.  It's too sweet, although I may like it in small doses.

I like egg nog ice cream.

Written By: Howard on 11/08/05 at 2:59 pm

Turkey On Thanksgiving.

Written By: jackas on 11/08/05 at 3:00 pm

LOL ;D

Ohhhh.......bring it on, BIATCH! ;) :D

You live close to me, huh......lets take it outside.....without the turkey!

Written By: Apricot on 11/08/05 at 3:45 pm

I don't like turkey either.. it's very plain.

Now, LUNCHMEAT turkey.. that's different, that stuff's delicious.

Written By: YWN on 11/08/05 at 3:58 pm

I don't like turkey either.. it's very plain.

Now, LUNCHMEAT turkey.. that's different, that stuff's delicious.

I like both.  I had a turkey sandwich for lunch yesterday and today.  As for regular turkey, it is rather plain unless you add salt, and if you're daring like me, some ketchup.

Written By: YWN on 11/08/05 at 3:59 pm

LOL ;D

Ohhhh.......bring it on, BIATCH! ;) :D

You live close to me, huh......lets take it outside.....without the turkey!

Tomorrow.  5:27 PM.  Your place.

Written By: Apricot on 11/08/05 at 4:00 pm

I like both.  I had a turkey sandwich for lunch yesterday and today.  As for regular turkey, it is rather plain unless you add salt, and if you're daring like me, some ketchup.

I do enjoy some ketchup.. and yes, salt makes it better.. but I rather dislike the texture.

Written By: Dominic L. on 11/08/05 at 4:01 pm

I like all the sweets, but aside from the mashed potatoes, I dislike most holiday "meal" food.

I like apple cider though...

Written By: Apricot on 11/08/05 at 4:05 pm

I like all the sweets, but aside from the mashed potatoes, I dislike most holiday "meal" food.

Cider isn't really seasonal... at least not around here. But then, we have a ton of apple trees..

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 11/08/05 at 6:16 pm

Cider isn't really seasonal... at least not around here. But then, we have a ton of apple trees..

Maybe DomineL meant "hot" apple cider with cinnamon sticks.. that's more of a "holiday" treat  :)

Written By: Apricot on 11/08/05 at 6:21 pm

Maybe DomineL meant "hot" apple cider with cinnamon sticks.. that's more of a "holiday" treat  :)

Sounds right.. I thought about that afterwords.. meh.

I do love cinnamon.

Written By: Dominic L. on 11/08/05 at 6:30 pm

Now that I think of it, we can get it at other times, but I never have the chance to drink it except on Thanksgiving and Christmas... It's my family treat, I guess

Written By: jackas on 11/08/05 at 6:40 pm

Tomorrow.  5:27 PM.  Your place.

Ah yes, 5:27 PM sharp!

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 11/08/05 at 10:30 pm

mmmm....apple cider is yummy! I had some a few weeks ago, made with pumpkin spices...it was very good!

Written By: Barefoot_Blues on 11/09/05 at 9:34 am

Big FAT peppermint sticks.

Written By: duranchick on 11/09/05 at 3:37 pm

We always had the little boxes of Torrone at Christmas and Easter, come to think of it at Thanksgiving too.  That usually made it to the table the same time as the bowl of nuts in the shell and the bowl of fruit.  I found a recipe to make it and want to try but it takes a really long time to cook. 

Written By: Howard on 11/09/05 at 3:55 pm

Franks on July 4th Independence Day.

Written By: rich1981 on 11/10/05 at 12:57 am

Homemade cranberry sauce.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 11/10/05 at 10:29 am

We always had the little boxes of Torrone at Christmas and Easter, come to think of it at Thanksgiving too.  That usually made it to the table the same time as the bowl of nuts in the shell and the bowl of fruit.  I found a recipe to make it and want to try but it takes a really long time to cook. 

yep, those are the kinds that we would get too.....there's this neat Italian store near us..and we make a trip there before the holidays..they carry all sorts of Italian goods.

Written By: Southern Image on 11/10/05 at 12:11 pm

Turkey, garlic potatos, biscuits, sweet potatos, corn, fudge, cookies, oh hell, I like most of the holiday treats  ;D

This year will be an Italian Thanksgiving, since everyone is worried about the bird flu  :P

Written By: Kenlos on 11/10/05 at 12:50 pm

Eggnog, hands down the best.  Not a food I know but still the best, almost that time of the year were I can start buying it again.  As for holiday food would have to be Candy Yams, Turkey, and biscuts.

Written By: danootaandme on 11/11/05 at 8:26 am

You actually EAT fruit cake ??? :o You're the first person I've ever "met" who does ;D

I absolutely love fruit cake.  I don't know why so many people are down on it.  It has to be made
right of course.  The best is made with rum soaked fruits, it is deeeelicious    :)

Written By: NullandVoid on 11/11/05 at 5:26 pm

Turkey. The good juicy parts, not the dry stuff so easily choked on.

Check for new replies or respond here...