inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Wikipedia

Written By: JamieMcBain on 11/07/05 at 9:03 pm

While checking out Wikipedia, I found out that the site we are on is listed as external link....

Congrads, Chuck!

8)

By the way, Wikipedia is a cool website to check....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_Page

Subject: Re: Wikipedia

Written By: whistledog on 11/07/05 at 9:34 pm

I love the wikipedia.  It's a great place.  I sometimes edit things on there ...

such as the page on Dan Hill to which I edited it to include Canadian Content  :)

Written By: Billy Florio on 11/07/05 at 9:38 pm

while I visit wikipedia a lot, the problem with it is the fact that its completly compiled by anyone who uses the internet...wrong information can be added due to that. 

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 11/07/05 at 9:38 pm

Wikipedia is very good. Done whole assignments for school from there.  ;D

Written By: alyceclover on 11/07/05 at 9:40 pm

While checking out Wikipedia, I found out that the site we are on is listed as external link....

Congrads, Chuck!

8)

yes it is, but what's an 'external' link?

Written By: Alchoholica on 11/07/05 at 9:47 pm

Wikipedia is very good. Done whole assignments for school from there.  ;D

hehehe, same here.

Wikipedia is the only proof i have that there is a God  ;D

Written By: JamieMcBain on 11/07/05 at 9:58 pm

yes it is, but what's an 'external' link?

At the end of each entry, there is a list of links for the subject at hand, and that is an external link.

Written By: Morton on 11/08/05 at 9:59 am

Only used it once or twice, but it's cool. Congrats Chuck and InThe00s  8)

Written By: ChuckyG on 11/08/05 at 11:42 am

Congrads, Chuck!

8)

which topic?  I know amiright is on the misheard lyrics page as an external link, but I wasn't aware of inthe00s being on there.  Several for inthe80s, topics like protest songs and 99 Luftballoons.

Wikipedia is great, but you have to remember to double check your facts with other sources. I would never do a paper for a school report based strictly on information found there or make a final decision based on info from there on anything. 

Written By: Tia on 11/08/05 at 11:48 am

wikipedia is pretty cool. i was stunned that they had a bunch of entries on the "final girl," that whole film theory thing about 80s horror movies. it's such an obscure concept! i was blown away.

apparently it is open to anyone, but false or incorrect facts get fixed pretty fast because people correct them. i heard this thing on the radio about it. but you know, maybe the radio's wrong!

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 11/08/05 at 12:12 pm

I discovered Wikipedia over a year ago (probably while I was researching a school project) and found it so much better than other "encyclopedia" websites - especially since it was (and still is) free of charge. I also have edited a few pages myself. I think I edited the Chinese Horoscope pages. 

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 11/08/05 at 12:37 pm

which topic?  I know amiright is on the misheard lyrics page as an external link, but I wasn't aware of inthe00s being on there.  Several for inthe80s, topics like protest songs and 99 Luftballoons.

Wikipedia is great, but you have to remember to double check your facts with other sources. I would never do a paper for a school report based strictly on information found there or make a final decision based on info from there on anything. 

It's hard to find a site as throrough as Wikipedia, but yes, it's best to keep researching (as any good student would do) rather than get ALL their facts/info. from just one website.

Written By: whistledog on 11/08/05 at 12:42 pm

I find Wikipedia is great for finding information on bands and singers  8)

Written By: Apricot on 11/08/05 at 1:57 pm

Wikipedia is my pimp.

Written By: Tia on 11/08/05 at 1:59 pm

Wikipedia is my pimp.

i use pimpipedia myself. :D

Written By: ChuckyG on 11/10/05 at 8:31 am

Wikipedia is a million monkeys trying to type out Shakespeare, which ends up producing Tom Clancy novels.

Written By: Apricot on 11/10/05 at 3:04 pm

Wikipedia is a million monkeys trying to type out Shakespeare, which ends up producing Tom Clancy novels.

And I'll be damned if it ain't the best Tom Clancy novel EVER!  :D

Written By: rich1981 on 11/10/05 at 3:46 pm

Check out this article, on printing wikipedia: http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20051101/wr_nm/wikipedia_dc

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 11/11/05 at 4:18 pm

I don't think monkey's could operate a site like that  ;D

Written By: whistledog on 03/07/10 at 3:26 pm

Over the years, I've added alot of stuff to wikipedia, much of which has been edited by others LOL

Just recently, I edited the page on Kim Cattrall, which had her listed as an English actress.  I changed it to British-Canadian actress, and some dumbass changed it back.  Oh well.

Written By: Howard on 03/07/10 at 6:44 pm

I always like Wikipedia,I look up people who are alive or had passed away.

Written By: Stompgal on 03/17/10 at 4:52 pm

I go on Wikipedia a lot and i agree that people can put wrong information on there. I have even edited a few articles myself.

Written By: silhouette on 03/18/10 at 12:42 am

wikipedia is pretty cool. i was stunned that they had a bunch of entries on the "final girl," that whole film theory thing about 80s horror movies. it's such an obscure concept! i was blown away.

apparently it is open to anyone, but false or incorrect facts get fixed pretty fast because people correct them. i heard this thing on the radio about it. but you know, maybe the radio's wrong!

"Final Girl"? Do you happen to frequent TVTropes? Link: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/FinalGirl

Written By: nally on 03/07/15 at 9:33 pm

I go on Wikipedia a lot and i agree that people can put wrong information on there. I have even edited a few articles myself.

So true. Sometimes they put info that doesn't make any sense. I've contemplated signing up on there but haven't done that yet.

Written By: nally on 03/07/15 at 9:33 pm

"Final Girl"? Do you happen to frequent TVTropes? Link: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/FinalGirl

I stumbled across that site a few years ago and have found it very interesting. :D

Written By: ArcticFox on 03/07/15 at 10:07 pm

I actually have my own account on Wikipedia. I edit there and contribute a lot. With Wikipedia, you can't just put unsourced information on there. It will get reverted. You have to have reliable references, so adding information takes a long time.

Contributing to Wikipedia is a privilege, and I love it. I hate it when people bash Wikipedia and act like it's 100% unreliable. They don't know what goes on behind the process.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 03/08/15 at 4:07 am

and I love it. I hate it when people bash Wikipedia and act like it's 100% unreliable. They don't know what goes on behind the process.

I agree. A lot of stuff is actually pretty good, especially articles about famous things and facts. However, a bit problematic are articles about regional things where a lot of facts cannot be double checked by approvers.

Written By: Howard on 03/08/15 at 3:07 pm

I actually have my own account on Wikipedia. I edit there and contribute a lot. With Wikipedia, you can't just put unsourced information on there. It will get reverted. You have to have reliable references, so adding information takes a long time.

Contributing to Wikipedia is a privilege, and I love it. I hate it when people bash Wikipedia and act like it's 100% unreliable. They don't know what goes on behind the process.

Do they let you edit information? ???

Written By: nally on 03/18/15 at 12:07 am

Do they let you edit information? ???

I'm pretty sure that if you sign up on there, you do have the privilege to edit, so the answer is likely yes.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/18/15 at 4:26 am

I'm pretty sure that if you sign up on there, you do have the privilege to edit, so the answer is likely yes.
Indeed, before anyone could edit online, now you have sign up as you say.

Written By: Howard on 03/18/15 at 2:04 pm

Indeed, before anyone could edit online, now you have sign up as you say.

and you have to make sure that your information is correct.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/18/15 at 2:10 pm

Verify the information with references.

Written By: Howard on 03/18/15 at 2:28 pm

Verify the information with references.

and ask people too.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/18/15 at 2:32 pm

and ask people too.
You can ask, but the reference has to be displayed.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/06/15 at 11:17 am

For some reason, I could not access wikipedia on my tablet this morning, all is fine now.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 05/07/15 at 3:52 am

For the most important/popular facts, you can definitely trust Wikipedia.

Wikipedia is sometimes poor, when it comes to topics which are very regional, though.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/07/15 at 4:03 am

The locked pages are under control and cannot be changed by the general public.

Written By: violet_shy on 06/08/15 at 2:11 pm

They have been more accurate lately.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/08/15 at 2:15 pm

They have been more accurate lately.
For the general public cannot supply info straightaway, not you have to log in, etc.

Written By: Ripley on 10/16/15 at 2:44 pm

I like Wikipedia.  Most of the stuff is actually accurate.  I can tell when somebody's messing around.

Written By: violet_shy on 10/16/15 at 3:15 pm

They are more accurate now than in the past. Before people would post anything.

Written By: nally on 10/16/15 at 9:43 pm

I like Wikipedia.  Most of the stuff is actually accurate.  I can tell when somebody's messing around.

So can I.

They are more accurate now than in the past. Before people would post anything.

Right...but now the site has guidelines, and those in charge of the site get alerts whenever someone edits a page and puts questionable information on it.

Check for new replies or respond here...