inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Boycott Sony

Written By: ChuckyG on 11/14/05 at 10:35 am

http://www.wired.com/news/digiwood/0,1412,69559,00.html?tw=rss.TOP

I you don't follow the technical stuff on the Internet, you might not have heard about this last week.  Basically, if you buy a CD that comes from Sony's music label, and put that CD in your machine (Windows or Macintosh) it will infect your machine with software that can disable your CD burner, and hide files on your machine you can't see.  This software also leaves your machine very vunerable to attack by hackers.  A couple of exploits have already been released.

Sony has provided software to remove this crap from your machine, but does such a poor job, it actually further weakens your machine if you run it. 

Sony has not offered a recall for these CDs yet.  They aren't admitting any wrong doing.  They aren't even adequately fixing the machines they've comprimised.

What can you do?

Avoid buying any and everything that has the Sony name.  That means Playstations, CD players, TVs, etc.

http://www.boycottsony.us/  a blog with the day to day news about Sony's continued attack on their customers

Subject: Re: Boycott Sony

Written By: cs on 11/14/05 at 10:38 am

How in the hell do they get away with something like this? 

Is this true!?

Written By: Marty McFly on 11/14/05 at 10:43 am

Thanks for the warning, Chuck. I'm kinda paranoid about my computer and, even though I pretty much burn/listen to/buy "old" music, I have some newer ones too.

Is there a possible list of all the "defective" CD's, so we know what NOT to try and burn?

Written By: Dominic L. on 11/14/05 at 10:45 am

I'm glad that I read this, as I rip all my albums immediately after I buy them and then export them into my MP3 Player.

I hate those copyright protected CD's. I mean, I'm using them legally!

Written By: ChuckyG on 11/14/05 at 10:51 am

How in the hell do they get away with something like this? 

Is this true!?

very true.  Legally speaking, it's legit.  When you put the disc in your machine, it pops up an "End User License Agreement" (EULA) that permits this, and even states that if you somehow lose the original disc, you agree to remove the files from your machine.  That's only the tip of the iceberg too, the EULA contains a lot of nasty surprises in it.

here is a list of infected discs

http://www.eff.org/deeplinks/archives/004144.php

Disable AUTORUN on your Windows computer to prevent this type of crap. 

Written By: YWN on 11/14/05 at 11:10 am

My Foo Fighters CD, "In Your Honor", has that copyright protected thing.  I already found out about this issue a few weeks ago though.  It takes advanced knowledge to undo what it downloads on your computer.

No more Sony for me.

Written By: rich1981 on 11/14/05 at 11:23 am

I've heard that this Sony software doesn't run on Macs or Linux, is this correct? Either way I'm finished with Sony.

Written By: Dominic L. on 11/14/05 at 11:27 am

Luckily, I don't listen to any of those artists listed, and probably none of the ones not listed.

BTW, I like your link to this on amiright, Chucky  ;D

Written By: ChuckyG on 11/14/05 at 11:28 am

I've heard that this Sony software doesn't run on Macs or Linux, is this correct? Either way I'm finished with Sony.

half correct.  It does work on Macs.

I knew the Foo Fighters CD had the DRM crap on it, I disabled auto-run when I ripped it.  It kills me, that as a legal owner of a CD, I'm not allowed to copy it onto my computer to listen to it.  I don't want to run my CD-ROM all day when listening to music, it slows down my computer, it's very laggy, it prevents me from using the drive to run software. 

Software like this, does nothing to stop dedicated pirates from stealing the music (most CDs are pirated before consumers even have access to them).  All it does is penalize the customers dumb enough to buy Sony products.

Written By: ChuckyG on 11/14/05 at 11:29 am

Luckily, I don't listen to any of those artists listed, and probably none of the ones not listed.

BTW, I like your link to this on amiright, Chucky  ;D

I linked it on all my sites.  When I first heard about it last week, I was annoyed.  When I saw Sony acting as though they were within their rights to corrupt my machine, I was livid.

Written By: ChuckyG on 11/14/05 at 11:31 am

Sony also uses open source software (LAME mp3 encoder) as part of this exploit, and doesn't follow the license of that software.  They don't like it when you steal their product, but have no qualms about stealing others.

Written By: Dominic L. on 11/14/05 at 11:34 am

half correct.

Written By: ChuckyG on 11/14/05 at 11:36 am

what i would do is just play it on my cd player on the computer.. then I would record it from my software that allows you to record off the Wave out part of the sound card.

provided you didn't let the CD run when placed in your machine.  You don't install their software, it's in a file called "autorun.inf" which will run as soon as the CD is placed in your computer.  You have to turn off autorun on your machine, or hold down the shift key when putting a CD in your computer (hold it when the CD goes in the drive until it stops spinning).

Written By: Marty McFly on 11/14/05 at 11:39 am

I'd do it the old-fashioned way and just make a mix tape of all the good songs (I still regularly do this - I'm probably one of the few people on Earth though, LOL!). ;)

Written By: bbigd04 on 11/14/05 at 11:41 am

I'd do it the old-fashioned way and just make a mix tape of all the good songs (I still regularly do this - I'm probably one of the few people on Earth though, LOL!). ;)

I've made a few tapes to play in my car cause I don't have a CD player in there, so somebody else still does it, lol.

Written By: Marty McFly on 11/14/05 at 11:46 am

^ Cool, but do you ever do it tape to tape? That's really retro, LOL - but it's one of those things I probably won't ever fully let go of (I grew up with cassettes in general).

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 11/14/05 at 11:47 am

Wow, that's terrible. I had no idea. I don't understand the logic in what they're doing. I don't think I've ever bought a sony CD before, but at least I'll know to stear clear of them in the future..

Written By: ChuckyG on 11/14/05 at 11:52 am

^ Cool, but do you ever do it tape to tape? That's really retro, LOL - but it's one of those things I probably won't ever fully let go of (I grew up with cassettes in general).

You're not hardcore 'till you've done 8-track to cassette.

I've actually got an 8-track I hook up to my PC to rip from.  No 8-track ever corrupted my PC that's for sure!

Written By: bbigd04 on 11/14/05 at 11:53 am

I have the Foo Fighters CD as well. If you have autorun turned on when you put that CD in the drive it will automatically install this "driver" that somehow detects if you try to rip music from that CD and the copy you rip will turn out sounding all scrambled. Removing this driver took plenty of searching around on the internet, but it's not that hard once you find out where the thing is located. It's a very sneaky and deceptive way of doing business, the legality is definitely questionable imo, because it installs this even if you say no to the EULA, but they'll get away with it, they're a huge business what do you expect.

Written By: bbigd04 on 11/14/05 at 11:55 am

Not really, I don't have a whole lot of casettes to work with. I do radio recordings every once in a while though.

Written By: Red Ant on 11/14/05 at 12:01 pm

Sony also uses open source software (LAME mp3 encoder) as part of this exploit, and doesn't follow the license of that software.

Written By: ChuckyG on 11/14/05 at 12:06 pm

http://www.boingboing.net/2005/11/14/sony_anticustomer_te.html

Good timeline of all the stories on this.  I read boing boing a lot, so I guess I read about this longer ago than I thought.  I think when I saw the CDs were all crap that I wouldn't buy, I didn't pay as much attention.  Then you notice Sony's reaction when people found out, and it really begins to get your blood to boil.  Then you notice it's not the first time, and that they're even working on more of this crap for their games and you realize they just don't "get it".  They won't stop doing this to their products, and they even lie about when caught.

Written By: Dominic L. on 11/14/05 at 12:39 pm

I'd do that, if I ... hey, that's a good idea!

I have this sound on sound tape my dad made, I wanna copy it... I guess I'll do that.

Written By: Gonfunko on 11/14/05 at 12:40 pm

Glad to see that they're taking some heat over this. I'll add a link to the boycott site to my own site.

Written By: whistledog on 11/14/05 at 1:33 pm

I too make mix tapes all the time for my car.  In some ways, I kind of prefer tapes over CD's

Written By: whistledog on 11/14/05 at 2:06 pm

In the early days of Copy Controlled CD's, there was a noticible circular line on the CD -- All you had to do was put scotch tape over it, and you could bypass the copy control technology, but I notice that line no longer appears on them.

I try to avoid CD's with the CC logo on it, but lately it's almost like every CD has them  :(

I remember one CD I bought didn't even have copy control techonology -- Instead was a disclaimer on the back that said "This CD will not work in any computer of any form and is also not compatible with most Car CD players -- It also does not work in DVD players or VCD and SVCD players and may not work on some home CD players" -- I mean that's just ridiculous -- I pay some $30 plus for a CD that doesn't even work >:(

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 11/14/05 at 2:13 pm

Wow, this is scary. And such a backfire for the music industry on a whole. Not only is Sony hurting it's customers, but it's hurting their artists because people will not want to buy these infected CDs, which in turn will hurt potential sales of an otherwise top selling album.

Written By: agrimorfee on 11/14/05 at 3:03 pm

Sony BMG suspends copy-protection software
>By Paul Taylor in New York
>Published: November 11 2005 20:31 | Last updated: November 11 2005 20:31
>>
Sony BMG, the joint venture record label, was on Friday forced into an embarrassing climbdown over its use of copy-protection technology on music CDs that exposed some PC users to hackers.

The company said it would “temporarily suspend” use of the controversial software and apologised to PC users for “possible inconvenience” it may have caused.

The turnaround came after several PC security firms identified a “Trojan“ e-mail virus designed to exploit software that some of Sony BMG's music CDs install on their owners' computers when played.

The copy protection software dubbed “XCP“ developed by UK-based First4Internet, limits the number of copies that can be made from the original CD. It is designed to deter “casual piracy“ - typically, friends copying each other's music CDs.

Sony BMG, whose recording stars include Celine Dion, Mariah Carey and Destiny's Child, is believed to have installed XCP on millions of CDs since it began using the software earlier this year.

On Friday, Sony BMG, which faces a number of lawsuits in the US related to the use of the software, acknowledged for the first time that it could render PC users vulnerable to attack.

“We are aware that a computer virus is circulating that may affect computers with XCP content protection software,” the company said, adding that the software has been included on a limited number of Sony BMG titles, but emphasising, “This potential problem has no effect on the use of these discs in conventional, non-computer-based, CD and DVD players.”

In response to the virus attacks, the company said it had provided a software “patch“ to all major anti-virus companies and to the general public. The patch protects PC users against the virus, identified by Kaspersky, the Russian PC security firm and by UK-based Sophos.

“We deeply regret any possible inconvenience this may cause,” Sony BMG said, adding that it stood by its content-protection technology as “an important tool to protect our intellectual property rights and those of our artists“. The company said: “Nonetheless, as a precautionary measure, Sony BMG is temporarily suspending the manufacture of CDs containing XCP technology. We also intend to re-examine all aspects of our content protection initiative to be sure that it continues to meet our goals of security and ease of consumer use.”

Sony BMG has still not identified which of its music CDs contain the software. Earlier this week, however, the Electronic Frontier Foundation, a US-based consumer advocacy group, identified at least 19 Sony BMG music CDs that the group claims install the software when played on a PC.

Critics, including the EFF, claim the software also slows down PCs and makes them more susceptible to crashes and third-party attacks. “Since the program is designed to hide itself, users may have trouble diagnosing the problem,” the EFF said.

>
>
>

Find this article at:
http://news.ft.com/cms/s/018223e4-52f0-11d...acl=,s01=1.html

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 11/14/05 at 3:12 pm

Read about it last week. All I have to say is, they are only hurting themselves (and artists) as things like this will lead to more people turning to "illegal" filesharing.

Written By: Howard on 11/14/05 at 4:15 pm

Would that also include CDs and cassette tapes that have the Sony label?  ???

Written By: YWN on 11/14/05 at 4:17 pm

Oh, they want to protect their artists now, do they?  I'm sure it has absolutely nothing to do with their vast greediness.

Written By: Howard on 11/14/05 at 4:19 pm

Oh, they want to protect their artists now, do they?

Written By: YWN on 11/14/05 at 4:20 pm

Which kind of artists?  ???

Music artists...the artists they're signed with.

Written By: Howard on 11/14/05 at 4:22 pm

Music artists...the artists they're signed with.

Oh I see Thanks YWN.

Written By: barefootrobin on 11/14/05 at 4:41 pm

Why can't artists hire their own publicists and marketing teams, have their own web sites and sell their music off their webs sites?  Or do Corporations like Sony own the radio stations as well?  Hmmm..  I'm going to find out...  Or someone could just tell me....

Written By: Dominic L. on 11/14/05 at 5:47 pm

Would that also include CDs and cassette tapes that have the Sony label?

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 11/14/05 at 5:58 pm

cassettes don't exactly go into your computer.

Newer Sony CD's do.

read the article...

That's if at the touch of the record button Sony's cassette tapes spit out the tape and garble the tape up into one stringy mess..  ;D

Written By: Dominic L. on 11/14/05 at 6:01 pm

That's if at the touch of the record button Sony's cassette tapes spit out the tape and garble the tape up into one stringy mess..

Written By: MysteryGoat on 11/14/05 at 6:23 pm

You know I did read about this last week. But I thought sony said they were discontinuing the copy protected disc because of this situation.  ???

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 11/14/05 at 6:57 pm

umm... yeah.

DON'T BUY THEIR TAPES! they kill themselves!

They're self-destructive tapes - I could just see them now! lol.

Maybe that's why I had the misfortune of a heartbroken child seeing my favorite tapes being jammed up into little balls of analog muck.

Written By: Skippy on 11/14/05 at 7:09 pm

Why can't artists hire their own publicists and marketing teams, have their own web sites and sell their music off their webs sites?
More and more artists are producing their own music under private labels and selling it on their own websites.

I read about this Sony ploy about 2 weeks ago on the inthe2000's board. Apparently the EULA is vague at best about the software it is about to install. I'm sure some 12 year old is already working on a "defeat" program to get around this program. They want us to buy their products by driving consumers toward the Chinese black market? That's some business model there boy!

Written By: Dominic L. on 11/14/05 at 7:21 pm

They're self-destructive tapes - I could just see them now! lol.

Maybe that's why I had the misfortune of a heartbroken child seeing my favorite tapes being jammed up into little balls of analog muck.

That's why I use vinyl

Written By: tmayfield on 11/14/05 at 8:04 pm

Avoid buying any and everything that has the Sony name.  That means Playstations, CD players, TVs, etc.

Well, I'm already covered as far as protection goes, so am I going to be able to get rock bottom prices if you all stop buying Sony stuff??  That would be cool.

Besides iTunes already tried to destroy my CD burner.  The losers...

Written By: Dominic L. on 11/14/05 at 8:21 pm

Well, I'm already covered as far as protection goes, so am I going to be able to get rock bottom prices if you all stop buying Sony stuff??

Written By: ChuckyG on 11/14/05 at 8:23 pm

You know I did read about this last week. But I thought sony said they were discontinuing the copy protected disc because of this situation.  ???

They way Sony stated it, it didn't sound like they were going to permanently stop shipping them.

They offered a program to remove the crap they install on your machine, but it actually makes the situation worse, so I wouldn't run their stuff to fix it if you did happen to use one of the infected discs. 

On some of the forums I visit, I've seen messages like "so glad I use a Macintosh" but they can also be comprimised with this software.  It's one of the reasons I figured I'd mention both operating systems on the top of all the sites.  People see virus and instantly assume it's Windows.

The software they install, is actually used by hackers to take over computers and use them for spamming. It's pretty sleazy stuff.

Written By: Apricot on 11/14/05 at 8:43 pm

actually... when i got itunes, my cd burner stopped working too...

I don't trust Apple...

Written By: Dominic L. on 11/14/05 at 8:54 pm

I don't trust Apple...

Why I don't own an iMac, iPod, iTunes, iPhoto, or an iAlarmclock

Written By: Apricot on 11/14/05 at 8:56 pm

Why I don't own an iMac, iPod, iTunes, iPhoto, or an iAlarmclock

I have a friend who has an iMac, and she says using it is kinda like getting punched in the face every single day.

Written By: Dominic L. on 11/14/05 at 9:07 pm

I have a friend who has an iMac, and she says using it is kinda like getting punched in the face every single day.

wow. that bad huh?

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 11/14/05 at 9:44 pm

iAlarmclock
Need one of those...

Must be the most unreliable alarm clock ever made (or would that be MS AlarmClock XP)  ::)

Written By: Dominic L. on 11/14/05 at 10:03 pm

Need one of those...

Must be the most unreliable alarm clock ever made (or would that be MS AlarmClock XP)

Written By: MysteryGoat on 11/15/05 at 12:32 am

Mind you I'm not defending them in anyway. I went back to check out the articles. It looks as if they 'suspended' production in putting the technology on new cds but I suppose that means nothing in the way of still shipping out ones that already have it. Thankfully it looks as if Microsoft is trying to counter against it "planning to include detection and removal tools for XCP in its weekly update to its anti-spyware software."

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 11/15/05 at 4:22 am

Microsoft Works is an oxymoron

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 11/15/05 at 4:23 am

This Sony business/dirty dealings is all over the news and papers here in the UK this morning.

Written By: ChuckyG on 11/15/05 at 1:00 pm

http://wired-vig.wired.com/news/technology/0,1282,69573,00.html?tw=wn_tophead_2

Over 500,000 machines have been hacked by these Sony CDs.  Nice job Sony!

Written By: Southern Image on 11/15/05 at 1:14 pm

I don't download or anything on my puter. So I think I'm safe.

Written By: Howard on 11/15/05 at 4:08 pm

I don't download much myself.

Written By: ChuckyG on 11/15/05 at 4:22 pm

You don't have to download in order to be infected.  All you need to do, is put a SONY CD in your computer.  If you don't put music CDs in your computer, you're safe from this one.

Written By: Southern Image on 11/15/05 at 4:25 pm

You don't have to download in order to be infected.  All you need to do, is put a SONY CD in your computer.  If you don't put music CDs in your computer, you're safe from this one.

I'll have to look at my cd's. I barely use my computer to play music. But thanks for the heads up.  :)

Written By: thenewwavechick on 11/15/05 at 4:48 pm

I'm very careful with what I put into my computers.  The only music I listen to is through Flashback Alternatives or other online stations.  I do have some CDs I've ripped to my computer, but they're not SONY. 

Written By: Skippy on 11/15/05 at 6:16 pm

I went back to check out the articles. It looks as if they 'suspended' production in putting the technology on new cds but I suppose that means nothing in the way of still shipping out ones that already have it.
The article stated a "temporary suspension" of this method of XCP. A wise person would take it to mean they are retooling the current software.
Just a thought...for those using Windows XP or Me and used the Go-Back feature would that effectively remove the software? Personally, I use Windows 98se so I would be out in the cold had I played one of these CDs, which I haven't.

Written By: Apricot on 11/15/05 at 6:53 pm

wow. that bad huh?

We were talking one time, I'd sent her a Momus MP3 she liked:

Me: So, did you get the MP3 to work?
Kaela: I'm not a virgin anymore.
Me: ...What?
Kaela: I pushed "Open With Media Player", and I'm fairly confident my computer grabbed me and had it's way with me.
Me: Hmmm.. so, guessing it didn't work so good?

Written By: ChuckyG on 11/15/05 at 8:31 pm

The article stated a "temporary suspension" of this method of XCP. A wise person would take it to mean they are retooling the current software.
Just a thought...for those using Windows XP or Me and used the Go-Back feature would that effectively remove the software? Personally, I use Windows 98se so I would be out in the cold had I played one of these CDs, which I haven't.

The go-back feature is for stuff that installs itself through properly registered channels in the system.  Since this software is hacking software designed to avoid detection, I doubt it would roll back or even show up in the revision levels.

Written By: Skippy on 11/15/05 at 9:00 pm

Since this software is hacking software designed to avoid detection, I doubt it would roll back or even show up in the revision levels.
I kinda thought that after I posted, remembering it used rootkit. It would be nice if it worked, at least make it easier to remove.

NOTE * Do not use the Go Back feature in Windows Me or XP! Using Go Back could make a backup of the rootkit files making it nearly impossible to remove them. I'm an idiot for suggesting it, kick me in the head & stomp on my groin! NOTE *

Written By: ChuckyG on 11/16/05 at 7:30 am

I kinda thought that after I posted, remembering it used rootkit. It would be nice if it worked, at least make it easier to remove.

NOTE * Do not use the Go Back feature in Windows Me or XP! Using Go Back could make a backup of the rootkit files making it nearly impossible to remove them. I'm an idiot for suggesting it, kick me in the head & stomp on my groin! NOTE *

it's ok.  I'm sure most people aren't going to try that anyways.  Microsoft and Symantec are both writing remove kits for it.  Sony's remove kit still infects leaves your machine infected, so don't run that!

Written By: Howard on 11/16/05 at 3:45 pm

I thought The Norton Go Back feature was useful?  ???

Written By: ChuckyG on 11/16/05 at 4:05 pm

I thought The Norton Go Back feature was useful?  ???

not when you're dealing with viruses, which is what Sony is essentially shipping on their CDs.

They've removed their "removal tool" now, since it was pointed out to them that it was just as bad as the leaving the machine alone.

Written By: Howard on 11/16/05 at 4:44 pm

not when you're dealing with viruses, which is what Sony is essentially shipping on their CDs.

They've removed their "removal tool" now, since it was pointed out to them that it was just as bad as the leaving the machine alone.

What should I do with Go Back?  ???

Written By: Skippy on 11/16/05 at 5:42 pm

What should I do with Go Back? 

Howard, this particular virus hides itself. If Norton or any other system restore program is used while a hidden virus is installed it won't remove it because it doesn't see it. It may in fact make a backup of it.
Only use system restore if you're sure the system is free of viruses, which is kind of hard if they hide themselves. There are programs that will help find them, but none are 100% perfect.

Written By: MysteryGoat on 11/16/05 at 5:45 pm

How bout this? At least they're doing something right.

Written By: Howard on 11/17/05 at 1:51 pm

How bout this? At least they're doing something right.

So,Is this article a good thing OR A bad thing?  ???

Written By: Skippy on 11/17/05 at 10:51 pm

So,Is this article a good thing OR A bad thing?
Depends on how much you trust MicroSoft...............ahhhhh,no, not good.

Written By: MysteryGoat on 11/18/05 at 1:07 am

I was thinking more on the fact that Sony is actually recalling cd's with XCP on them.

Written By: Howard on 11/18/05 at 2:14 pm

Depends on how much you trust MicroSoft...............ahhhhh,no, not good.

I don't know if my Father trusts Microsoft.

Written By: ChuckyG on 11/21/05 at 2:36 pm

Why do you want to piss off the people who buy?

http://www.canada.com/national/nationalpost/news/story.html?id=9682a973-f0e4-4610-819f-f96bf087ec43&page=1

People are beginning to avoid CDs with this crap on it.  The record labels just seem eager as possible to drive away every last customer they have.

Foxtrot:
http://www.ucomics.com/foxtrot/2005/11/21/

Written By: Howard on 11/21/05 at 3:54 pm

Why do you want to piss off the people who buy?

http://www.canada.com/national/nationalpost/news/story.html?id=9682a973-f0e4-4610-819f-f96bf087ec43&page=1

People are beginning to avoid CDs with this crap on it.

Subject: AAAARGH!

Written By: Ana on 11/23/05 at 9:16 am

>:(

I can't believe Sony would do such a thing...I understand that you're not supposed to copy other people's music without their permission, but for Sony, one of the biggest entertainment franchises in the world, to go so far as to make 'Copy Protected CDs' that put spyware into your system is like...UGH! I know they've admitted to doing so and all, but I wonder what they gonna do in the future about this whole thing.

If it happens to CDs by my favorite female singer, Mika Nakashima (which I'm very much sure will happen), I'll just resort to cutting songs to audio cassette, just like two people have already admitted to doing here.

BTW...most people know by now that all the so-called 'P2P file-sharing services' have literally gone defunct.

Written By: Ana on 11/23/05 at 9:36 am

actually... when i got itunes, my cd burner stopped working too...

Well, I daren't use my CD burner with iTunes, because I plan on getting an iPod in the future.

Written By: Apricot on 11/26/05 at 10:49 pm

Foxtrot:
http://www.ucomics.com/foxtrot/2005/11/21/

;D Ah, that made me laugh.

Written By: shiprunner12 on 12/02/05 at 6:52 pm

I feel bad for my brother. He just got a new laptop and already ripped that Switchfoot cd onto it. Hopefully it doesn't affect his computer since he needs it for college.

Written By: Apricot on 12/02/05 at 8:35 pm

I feel bad for my brother. He just got a new laptop and already ripped that Switchfoot cd onto it. Hopefully it doesn't affect his computer since he needs it for college.

Oh, man.. Lauren has that CD, too..

Hope that doesn't do too much to her laptop.

Written By: Howard on 12/03/05 at 3:27 pm

Where does he go to college?

Written By: shiprunner12 on 12/03/05 at 8:08 pm

Where does he go to college?

He goes to Taylor University. It's in Indiana.

Subject: Re: AAAARGH!

Written By: Sgt.Leper on 12/06/05 at 8:11 am

>:(

I can't believe Sony would do such a thing...I understand that you're not supposed to copy other people's music without their permission, but for Sony, one of the biggest entertainment franchises in the world, to go so far as to make 'Copy Protected CDs' that put spyware into your system is like...UGH! I know they've admitted to doing so and all, but I wonder what they gonna do in the future about this whole thing.

If it happens to CDs by my favorite female singer, Mika Nakashima (which I'm very much sure will happen), I'll just resort to cutting songs to audio cassette, just like two people have already admitted to doing here.

BTW...most people know by now that all the so-called 'P2P file-sharing services' have literally gone defunct.

Kazaa and Azereus still work for me

Written By: whistledog on 12/30/05 at 1:12 am

I broke down and bought a Sony CD 'Pieces of A Dream - Anastacia'

I've already used it in my computer ... i hope it doesn't mess it up :\'(

Written By: NullandVoid on 12/31/05 at 8:53 am

Me? the self proclaimed ps2 junkie give up Sony??? Sorry but there are some things I cannot do.

What they are doing is very sneaky and underhanded though. I'm sorry to hear that.

Written By: ChuckyG on 01/01/06 at 9:11 am

The new Coldplay CD is copy protected, so if you plan on using it on your iPod after you buy the CD, think again.

http://www.boingboing.net/2006/01/01/coldplays_new_cd_has.html

I don't think this one is even released by Sony. I guess the record companies are doing their best to ensure that you have to purchase your music again if you want to use it on a portable player.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 01/01/06 at 1:59 pm

The new Coldplay CD is copy protected, so if you plan on using it on your iPod after you buy the CD, think again.

I don't think this one is even released by Sony. I guess the record companies are doing their best to ensure that you have to purchase your music again if you want to use it on a portable player.
That is just shameful. I bought my kid an Ipod for xmas and if she's already bought the cd, she should be able to transfer it to her ipod, That is bad business

Written By: whistledog on 01/02/06 at 12:47 am

I miss the old days when you could just listen to a CD and not worry about all this Copy Control technology.  It's messing up CD's big time  >:(

Written By: Howard on 01/02/06 at 7:11 am

[quote author=whis

Written By: Silver Power on 01/02/06 at 10:49 am

Hey, I'm cheap. Here's my trick:

1. Go to Border's.
2. Buy a muffin or a cup of coffee so they don't suspect anything.
3. Take a CD I like.
4. Scan it and listen to a sample of that song. (Samples play the whole song, and there are samples for every song on a CD)
5. Listen to it as much as I want and play on my cell phone or Nintendo DS. (Yeah, that's right Sony, NINTENDO!)
6. Live it up.

Sony is wrong. The world isn't my playground. Border's is.

Written By: annonymouse on 01/03/06 at 4:47 pm

http://www.wired.com/news/digiwood/0,1412,69559,00.html?tw=rss.TOP

I you don't follow the technical stuff on the Internet, you might not have heard about this last week.  Basically, if you buy a CD that comes from Sony's music label, and put that CD in your machine (Windows or Macintosh) it will infect your machine with software that can disable your CD burner, and hide files on your machine you can't see.  This software also leaves your machine very vunerable to attack by hackers.  A couple of exploits have already been released.

Sony has provided software to remove this crap from your machine, but does such a poor job, it actually further weakens your machine if you run it. 

Sony has not offered a recall for these CDs yet.  They aren't admitting any wrong doing.  They aren't even adequately fixing the machines they've comprimised.

What can you do?

http://www.boycottsony.us/  a blog with the day to day news about Sony's continued attack on their customers

no way i can ever boycott sony. i love sony i have the psp and i can go on the internet with it. its awsome! sorry i just cant do it. i love sony. i love koreans. i have an idea lets boycott microsoft. i hate bill gates. dont know why thogh. just born with the hatred for him i guess.

Written By: Dominic L. on 01/04/06 at 6:29 pm

:o

I haven't tried it on my DVD player, but it plays fine on my portable player and stereo.
Also, it's on my computer. But it's not in MP3 format, if that has to do with it. it's in WMA.

Written By: whistledog on 01/04/06 at 6:30 pm

The motion picture Columbia Pictures is also owned by Sony.  If you were to boycott Sony, you'd have to pretty much stop buying DVD's.  Columbia releases alot of good movies

Written By: Dominic L. on 01/04/06 at 6:31 pm

Sony has a LOT of CD companies.

Ben Folds is from sony... come on!

Written By: tmayfield on 01/10/06 at 12:10 am

no way i can ever boycott sony. i love sony i have the psp and i can go on the internet with it. its awsome! sorry i just cant do it. i love sony. i love koreans. i have an idea lets boycott microsoft. i hate bill gates. dont know why thogh. just born with the hatred for him i guess.

Korean?  Sony is Korean?  All this time I thought they were Japanese...

Written By: annonymouse on 01/11/06 at 4:41 pm

Sony has a LOT of CD companies.

Ben Folds is from sony... come on!

yeah!!! i love benfolds

Written By: lor131 on 01/15/06 at 12:44 pm

I'd say you're full of sheesh. I could never ever do that to sony, they have provided me with service of PS1 and PS2 for quite sometime, and If i didn't have that, i wouldn't hold my incredulous skills in every Tony Hawk game ever made. Thankyou for your time.

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 01/15/06 at 1:53 pm

I'd say you're full of sheesh. I could never ever do that to sony, they have provided me with service of PS1 and PS2 for quite sometime, and If i didn't have that, i wouldn't hold my incredulous skills in every Tony Hawk game ever made. Thankyou for your time.

Go away.

Written By: YWN on 01/16/06 at 8:47 am

Go away.

Take a NAP.

Written By: Dominic L. on 01/16/06 at 9:58 am

I just realized this morning that a LOT of my albums are owned by Sony. Even David Bowie, Coldplay, Ben Folds... the list goes on and on...  :\'(

Check for new replies or respond here...