inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Who do you Boycott

Written By: danootaandme on 11/14/05 at 11:15 am

The boycott subject has got me to thinking.  What do people here boycott. This is my list.  It is
impossible to boycott all entities of multinationals, since you don't even know who or what they
are these days, but I try to stay away from:

Nestle
Nike
Wal Mart
Sony(now)
K Mart
Welchs

Subject: Re: Who do you Boycott

Written By: YWN on 11/14/05 at 11:16 am

My mom boycotts Movie Gallery, due to an incident ten years ago or so...

I now boycott Sony, but I think that's it.

Written By: Dominic L. on 11/14/05 at 11:23 am

er... nothing technically.

I guess I'm gonna start with Sony

Written By: rich1981 on 11/14/05 at 11:26 am

Sony & Dell.

Written By: TC1970 on 11/14/05 at 11:31 am

I boycott the bar/restaurant next to my business.  The bar owner's daughter was renting rooms in my shop for her tanning. Then we exchanged a few words and I gave her an eviction notice. (that's my vindictive bitch side) ::)

She really was pathetic. Never there for her customers..always on the phone and was dealing /using drugs. I let her rent two rooms because her dad promised she changed and being a small town, we are like a family.  Her dad did not see her as anything but a "good girl" Too bad for him....

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/14/05 at 11:34 am

Walmart
Adephia
Dennys

I'm sure there are others but I can't think of them right now.

Cat

Written By: ChuckyG on 11/14/05 at 11:34 am

I've never been one to actively boycott something before...

Sony however wins that distinction.

I avoid Walmart as much as possible for many reasons

Disney.  I try not to buy Disney products if I can help it, because they've sucessfully lobbied Congress via a senator they've paid off, to extend copyright ownership an extra 20-30 years to keep Steamboat Mickey out of the public domain.  Disney made a fortune using stories that were in the public domain when they started, but refuse that same use of their works.

Written By: barefootrobin on 11/14/05 at 11:36 am

I boycott Iams pet products, they do really mean animal testing - I boycott a bar in our small town - they don't shampoo the carpets (i've seen people puke on the floor and the remnants are still there) there are only two stalls working in the ladies, and the owner constantly comes on to my friends and I.

Written By: danootaandme on 11/14/05 at 11:40 am

Walmart
Adephia
Dennys

I'm sure there are others but I can't think of them right now.

Cat

Dennys is on my list, too.

Written By: Suicidal Blonde on 11/14/05 at 11:53 am

I boycott McDonalds. They NEVER get my orders right.  >:(

Written By: barefootrobin on 11/14/05 at 11:53 am

Dennys is on my list, too.

Why Denny's?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/14/05 at 12:01 pm

Why Denny's?

Carlos' Puerto Rican cousin and his "white" wife went in one time. They were not served.

Cat

Written By: ChuckyG on 11/14/05 at 12:35 pm

Carlos' Puerto Rican cousin and his "white" wife went in one time. They were not served.

That's not the first time I've heard of discrimination at a Denny's either.  Stories like that have made the news.  What the heck is wrong with the people that work there?  You'd think it was 1950 still.

Written By: barefootrobin on 11/14/05 at 1:40 pm

Cat
That's Crazy!  Where?  What City?  I have never been exposed to that kind of Racism, I would definately boycott also....

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/14/05 at 1:47 pm

That's Crazy!  Where?  What City?  I have never been exposed to that kind of Racism, I would definately boycott also....

We are not too sure. We think it was somewhere in California.

Cat

Written By: YWN on 11/14/05 at 1:49 pm

Was it because he was Puerto Rican, or that they didn't like interracial relationships?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/14/05 at 1:53 pm

Was it because he was Puerto Rican, or that they didn't like interracial relationships?

Don't know and what difference does it make? Whether they were discriminating against his race or their interracial relationship-it is STILL discrimination!!!

Cat

Written By: Don Carlos on 11/14/05 at 2:01 pm

The funny thing is that my cousin isn't all that dark, just looks well tanned.

Written By: jackas on 11/14/05 at 2:33 pm

Michael Moore.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 11/14/05 at 2:34 pm

I have never publically boycotted anything, but I did sign a petition about 10 years ago against Bounce fabric softner because it use to cause numerous bladder infections for me and my mother and I guess many women around the country were having the same problem.

I tend to stay away from certain places, if I can - So, I don't really boycott, but lets say I'm not their biggest customer -

Denny's
McDonalds
Wal-Mart (I'd take K-Mart over Wal-Mart)
Sizzler (always poor service no matter what!)

That's all I can think of at the moment..

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 11/14/05 at 2:35 pm

The MAN. >:-{

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 11/14/05 at 2:53 pm

\m/-O-\m/

Written By: danootaandme on 11/14/05 at 3:06 pm

Why Denny's?

I had a friend who waitressed at Dennys, for a short time.  She said that the basically told you not to wait
on African Americans.  She refused to go along with the policy, and the Dennys she worked at didn't really buy into it, but she said it was part of management strategy.  This case broke the camels back

Dyson, et al. v. Denny's, Inc.

On April 1, 1993, six African-American on-duty officers in the U.S. Secret Service were refused service for more than an hour when they attempted to order breakfast. Meanwhile, their white fellow officers at a nearby table were served without incident.

After the six officers filed suit, thousands of other customers reported that they had experienced similar discriminatory incidents at Denny's Restaurants nationwide.

Eventually, the suit involved class members in 49 states. On May 24, 1994, Denny's and 18 named plaintiffs settled the case for a record $17.725 million. Each officer received $35,000, and the other named plaintiffs received $15,000. In all, checks were mailed to more than 130,000 class members, making this the largest class action settlement distribution to date in a public accommodations discrimination case.

In addition, Denny's signed a consent decree, which placed the corporation under an extensive court order to provide nondiscrimination training to its employees and to monitor and report future instances of discrimination. John Relman was co-lead counsel in this class action lawsuit, which was brought on behalf of the plaintiffs by the Washington Lawyers' Committee for Civil Rights and Urban Affairs, with the assistance of the law firm of Hogan & Hartson. The suit received extensive press coverage, including The New York Times Magazine (Nov. 6, 1994) cover story.

* "Denny's Restaurants to pay $54 million in bias suits," The New York Times (May 25, 1994)

* "Plaintiffs enjoy an anti-bias victory," The Washington Post (May 25, 1994)

* "Denny's gets a bill for the side orders of bigotry," The New York Times (May 29, 1994)

* "Service with a sneer," The New York Times Magazine

Written By: JamieMcBain on 11/14/05 at 3:11 pm

Nothing at the moment...

Written By: Dominic L. on 11/14/05 at 3:16 pm

I had a friend who waitressed at Dennys, for a short time.

Written By: danootaandme on 11/14/05 at 3:20 pm

But... WHY? that's so stupid

Yeah, but the reality is that there are a lot of stupid people running things.  Actually since they were sued
the cleaned up their act considerably and are now considered one of the best places, but I don't think that
would have happened if it didn't happen to be Secret Service, or any other federal agents, involved. 

Written By: YWN on 11/14/05 at 4:15 pm

But... WHY? that's so stupid

That's what I don't understand either.  What is their motive for refusing service to blacks if they risk lawsuits?

Written By: Howard on 11/14/05 at 4:27 pm

WWF(E)  >:(

Written By: Paul on 11/14/05 at 4:38 pm

Id like to boycott the Inland Revenue (Taxman to you), but I don't think I'd get far somehow...!!

(Well, about as far as a spell in one of HM's prisons!)

Written By: barefootrobin on 11/14/05 at 4:39 pm

Id like to boycott the Inland Revenue (Taxman to you), but I don't think I'd get far somehow...!!

Aren't people in Cults or Religious Groups doing just that?  Here the Hutterites don't pay taxes...

Written By: Paul on 11/14/05 at 4:43 pm

Aren't people in Cults or Religious Groups doing just that?

Written By: barefootrobin on 11/14/05 at 4:45 pm

Aren't people in Cults or Religious Groups doing just that?  Here the Hutterites don't pay taxes...
Great!

How do I join...?!!

I don't think you want to be a Hutterite, but anyone can start their own Religion and avoid paying taxes can't they?

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 11/14/05 at 4:51 pm

I've never actively boycotted anything, but I do try and avoid:

McDonalds
KFC
Sony(now)
Any CD with copyright protection
Try not to buy clothes from big chain stores
CanWest radio stations (A radio network in New Zealand that own a series of radio stations)

Me too >:(

Written By: YWN on 11/14/05 at 4:59 pm

Trapped in the quote box...a tragedy...

Written By: Paul on 11/14/05 at 5:05 pm

Boycott quote boxes...!

Written By: Apricot on 11/14/05 at 6:43 pm

I don't boycott anyone, really.. I tend to not go some places, because I know they might not get the order right/infect me with spyware/have mean people there.. but I don't specifically boycott anyone.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 11/14/05 at 9:19 pm

the Chinese restaurant that Chris and I went to last weekend. They must use MSG or something in their food...and we both had a horrible allergic reaction to it...our hands swelled up a lot...and it was very uncomfortable!

Erin :)

Written By: Dominic L. on 11/14/05 at 9:20 pm

...and it was very uncomfortable!

that's really weird!

maybe it was a strange form of food poisoning?

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 11/14/05 at 9:21 pm

the Chinese restaurant that Chris and I went to last weekend. They must use MSG or something in their food...and we both had a horrible allergic reaction to it...our hands swelled up a lot...and it was very uncomfortable!

But Super Panda is SOOOOOOOOOOOO goooooood, though...

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 11/14/05 at 9:22 pm

But Super Panda is SOOOOOOOOOOOO goooooood, though...

that's really weird!

maybe it was a strange form of food poisoning?

I don't know...but we aren't gonna go there anymore...that was too strange! :o

Written By: Billy Florio on 11/15/05 at 12:59 am

As pissed as I am with Sony, I cant boycott them, because one of my jobs is album reviewing, and if I'm assigned a Sony album, I got to do it.  Plus, in my last review of a Sony album (Franz Ferdinand's You could do so much better) I took many a shot at Sony itself due to that whole Payola scandel.

I dont shop at Walmart....I boycott them mostly for their refusal to sell certain albums and videos.

I should boycott Blockbuster.

Written By: Alchoholica on 11/15/05 at 1:25 am

Wal-Mart
McDonalds
Quicksilver
I boycotted wcw until they went out of business
FOX NEWS  ;D

Written By: YWN on 11/15/05 at 9:20 am

FOX NEWS  ;D

We report bias...you decide.

Written By: Alchoholica on 11/15/05 at 9:21 am

We report bias...you decide.

'Report' is such a.. Non Fox word..

Written By: YWN on 11/15/05 at 9:26 am

'Report' is such a.. Non Fox word..

I've seen a lot of opinion shows on that network...  And all but a few are conservative.  Bill O'Reilly shouldn't even kid himself.  He knows he's conservative, but he tries to pass himself off as this "middle of the road" kind of guy who's smarter than all of us.

As for the reporting on FOX, it all seems to be good news from the Oval Office.

Written By: barefootrobin on 11/15/05 at 9:27 am

I'm trapped in the quote box and I can't get out!  Help!  Seriously.....

Written By: ADH13 on 11/15/05 at 4:30 pm

I don't really boycott any specific company.. but I will NEVER buy a dog from a pet store.  I watched a documentary about where these puppies come from... these horrible "puppy mills".

From now on, I will go to a shelter or a rescue and adopt a dog.

Written By: Davester on 11/15/05 at 4:38 pm

No boycotting, presently...

Boycotted Exxon years ago (I filled-up with Exxon gas regularly) after Exxon-Valdez...

Then I realized their gas sucks, anyway, and changed to Unocal...

Written By: C.NOIZE on 11/15/05 at 4:40 pm

I don't specifically boycott anything, but I do avoid certain places as much as I can:

Wal*Mart--I don't agree with their philosophy
McDonalds (specifically the one in my town)--they never clean the place, it seems; I can just feel the grease in the air when I go in
Sony--as of recent days...I'm not a big music buyer anyhow, and after hearing what they did, I might as well support the cause
Umm...guess that's it.
It's all I can think of at the moment anyways.

Written By: woops on 11/15/05 at 8:00 pm

Sony, even Natasha Bedingfield's  new CD and others  that I chose NOT to buy

McDonalds & Burger King

Disneyland and other overpriced theme parks

MTV, though I sometimes watch MTV2 for "Beavis & Butt-Head"

Check for new replies or respond here...