inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Wheres George?

Written By: Southern Image on 11/15/05 at 3:19 pm

How many of you have received money marked with that addy? I decided to play along and logged in the bill I received and registered 4 more bills in. I think its neat to see how far your money travels  ;)

Heres the link , go check it out.

http://www.wheresgeorge.com

Subject: Re: Wheres George?

Written By: Davester on 11/15/05 at 3:26 pm

Hey, what a coinkidink...

I received a "WheresGeorge" marked bill in late October and registered it...let me find a link for you...

Where's George?

He was last seen in Florida!

Did the link work?

Written By: Southern Image on 11/15/05 at 3:31 pm

Hey, what a coinkidink...

I received a "WheresGeorge" marked bill in late October and registered it...let me find a link for you...

Where's George?

He was last seen in Florida!

Did the link work?

Pretty cool. 8)

The one I received was registered 60 miles from me , but still in Cali. I'll have to pay more attention now to the bills I receive and register them once I receive them.

Written By: Barefoot_Blues on 11/16/05 at 9:05 am

I've received some, but never registered them. Now I will. :)

Written By: YWN on 11/16/05 at 9:30 am

I'm confused about how you're supposed to play...  Are you supposed to mark it?  I registered, but it couldn't find any of the bills I entered.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 11/16/05 at 1:16 pm

that's a cool idea..I think I will try it!

Erin :)

Written By: Southern Image on 11/17/05 at 3:10 pm

I'm confused about how you're supposed to play...  Are you supposed to mark it?  I registered, but it couldn't find any of the bills I entered.

Well, you could register your bills and then mark them with that addy. Then when you spend them, you wait. Who ever gets it, will log them in and tell where they received it from. You should get notification of where that bill popped up at. ;)

If you should receive any bills with that addy on it, then you log it in and then the same thing will happen, Just like Davesters link shows ya :)

Written By: Apricot on 11/17/05 at 3:14 pm

I got a few.. registered one bill, it never worked.. and I forgot to go back.. I didn't know this was still going on.

Written By: Davester on 11/17/05 at 3:21 pm

Well, you could register your bills and then mark them with that addy. Then when you spend them, you wait. Who ever gets it, will log them in and tell where they received it from. You should get notification of where that bill popped up at. ;)

If you should receive any bills with that addy on it, then you log it in and then the same thing will happen, Just like Davesters link shows ya :)

Yeah, the bill I received was stamped "WheresGeorge.com" on the front and "register at WheresGeorge.com" on the back.  According to the site pre-made rubber stamps were once available for purchase...

Just good, clean fun...

I really should get out more...

Written By: Southern Image on 11/17/05 at 3:25 pm

I got a few.. registered one bill, it never worked.. and I forgot to go back.. I didn't know this was still going on.

Yep its still going on. Apparently they have a message board as well.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 02/15/08 at 10:22 am

I decided to bump this thread, because I was going to create one about it. I am now addicted to the whole Where's George phenomenon. I enter all of my bills, and wait patiently to see if anyone else will enter them. I want to get a rubber stamp that says, "wheresgeorge.com" to make it easier. Does anyone else do this?

Written By: ChuckyG on 02/15/08 at 10:31 am

I decided to bump this thread, because I was going to create one about it. I am now addicted to the whole Where's George phenomenon. I enter all of my bills, and wait patiently to see if anyone else will enter them. I want to get a rubber stamp that says, "wheresgeorge.com" to make it easier. Does anyone else do this?

I did it a few years ago when it was all the rage on the Net, but I got bored with it.  Do they sell stamps again?  They had to stop for awhile.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 02/15/08 at 10:58 am

I did it a few years ago when it was all the rage on the Net, but I got bored with it.  Do they sell stamps again?  They had to stop for awhile.

no, they don't sell the stamps on their website, although there are a ton of independent stamp company websites that have them available to order.

Written By: Foo Bar on 02/15/08 at 9:08 pm

There are still a few people playing; I never had a stamp, but I have seen (and reported) a couple of bills over the years.  Last one I was was a couple of months ago.  Pleasant reminder of a really interesting project.  Sure, it was done for banner ad impressions, but the data could be used for lots of interesting purposes, like answering questions such as "How quickly is the flu likely to spread through casual contact?"

Check for new replies or respond here...