inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Anybody Going to tackle the "Black Friday" crowds?

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 11/21/05 at 9:54 pm

Are any of you going to be getting an early start, Christmas shopping on Black Friday (the day after Thanksgiving)?  It is usually so hectic that day, but I think that me, Beth, Vaughn, and my mom are going to go out for a bit. We will probably go to breakfast and get an early start, as most of the stores open at like 5 am!!! :o :o  Hopefully we will get some good deals! ;)

Subject: Re: Anybody Going to tackle the "Black Friday" crowds?

Written By: Barefoot_Blues on 11/21/05 at 11:20 pm

Good luck! Bring some boxing gloves with ya  ;D

I will not venture to ANY store on that day. It is so ridiculous and people act so insane it isn't funny.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 11/21/05 at 11:21 pm

I used to work retail several years back...and that day was totally insane! One good thing though was that I kept very busy and the day went fast!

Written By: Barefoot_Blues on 11/21/05 at 11:24 pm

I used to work retail several years back...and that day was totally insane! One good thing though was that I kept very busy and the day went fast!

Whats even scarier is that people actually camp out at Walmart and have their thanksgiving dinners there  :o Thats no way to spend the holiday .

One year I was stupid enough to go to Disneyland. BIGGEST mistake EVER!!!

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 11/21/05 at 11:25 pm

Whats even scarier is that people actually camp out at Walmart and have their thanksgiving dinners there

Written By: whistledog on 11/21/05 at 11:58 pm

Whats even scarier is that people actually camp out at Walmart and have their thanksgiving dinners there

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 11/22/05 at 12:20 am

I always avoid shops the day after a major public holiday. Even if it means paying $3 extra on milk, bread etc at the local garage or dairy.  :-X

Written By: gemini on 11/22/05 at 9:12 am

I'm going! I'm crazy I know.  :-\\  But, I won't be getting all bent outa shape if they don't have enough of something.  I'll just wait till someone turns around and then take it out of their cart!  ;)

Written By: ChuckyG on 11/22/05 at 9:31 am

I won't go anywhere near a store on Friday, no matter what the deal is.  I probably will end up working on the house, and will need to venture up to the Home Depot, that I dread more than anything on that day.

Everyone is getting gift cards to their favorite stores this year in my family, cuts down on the shopping, but also helps people get what they need or want, instead of something they don't want.  I've gotten plenty of stuff from people where I just wish I had the money instead. 

It isn't "as fun" I guess, but I have a small house and nowhere to store the stuff people would give me that I don't need and that's usually what ends up happening.  So-and-so gave me that, I can't throw it out.  I finally un-learned that behavoir when I got married and had to make room for all the stuff she brought with her (and really, she didn't bring that much).  You learn to cull the crap out of your house that you really don't need or don't want.  I gave away what I could, threw away the rest.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/22/05 at 9:46 am

Not no but HELL NO!!!!  You couldn't PAY me to go to the stores the day after Thanksgiving. I also try to avoid going to the stores any given Saturday in Dec.

Cat

Written By: IanWinn on 11/22/05 at 9:48 am

Are you kiddin'?  Not a chance.  My wife and I are travelling to her mother's house for Thanksgiving, and with all the food that's available, we're gonna need Friday to (burp!) recover!  Besides, later in the silly shopping season is the best time to get your shopping done...fewer crowds.

Written By: gemini on 11/22/05 at 9:59 am

Not no but HELL NO!!!!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/22/05 at 10:27 am

Awww, I was hoping you'd go with me for protection!  ;D

I hate to say this, but you're on your own. Those people get MEAN!!!  ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: Tam on 11/22/05 at 10:47 am

Yes.

Hubby and I are planning on being out by 5am!
It may seem weird but black friday is the last day of our Christmas shopping.
We always start early - this year the first gift was bought in June. . .
So now we just need to get the last couple of BIG things and black friday helps because of the discounts!

After that - all I have to worry about is stocking stuffers!!!
WooHoo!!!

:D ;D

Written By: gemini on 11/22/05 at 11:00 am

Hubby & I will be there for you ;)

Written By: Southern Image on 11/22/05 at 12:58 pm

I'm gonna try to avoid it. People drive crazy that day as well. The only bargains are very early in the morning, and I'm not going to get up just for that.  ;D  I will be mostly buying gift cards anyways. I will only need to buy stocking stuffers and toys for the kids. I usually do that at my lunch time during the week , or since our Walmart is 24 hours, I can go in at night to grab what I need. 

Good luck to those who are DARING. Don't get trampled on, and if someone fights you for a parking space, let them have it. No since in getting knifed over something so stupid.

Written By: Apricot on 11/22/05 at 2:12 pm

My girlfriend's family is going to King-Of-Prussia again on Black Friday.

My parents do MY shopping that day, so I'm not allowed to go.

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 11/22/05 at 2:23 pm

Chyeah. Erin and I are going (My mom wimped out on us)

Written By: duranchick on 11/22/05 at 2:28 pm

I am going with my sister - it's tradition.  We are at the first store by 6:00 or 7:00 and home by 9:30.  Usually the crowds aren't bad at that time.  You could not pay me enough to go shopping later in the day!

Written By: nally on 11/22/05 at 2:30 pm

Not me... I am not down with crowds. I don't like to spend several hours waiting in line, fighting traffic, etc.

Written By: Apricot on 11/22/05 at 3:19 pm

Not me... I am not down with crowds. I don't like to spend several hours waiting in line, fighting traffic, etc.

I don't like them either.. I'm glad I don't go.

Written By: danootaandme on 11/22/05 at 3:34 pm

No way, Jay. Snowballs chance in Hell   

Written By: Howard on 11/22/05 at 4:36 pm

I'll be volunteering that day so I'm not going near any stores with all those crowds. :o

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 11/22/05 at 6:17 pm

Chyeah. Erin and I are going (My mom wimped out on us)

are you serious? :-\\  What a sell-out!!! :(

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 11/23/05 at 10:57 am

Not no but HELL NO!!!!

Written By: Howard on 11/23/05 at 4:46 pm

I agree with you.

Written By: Apricot on 11/25/05 at 9:58 am

I did, and Oh God, it sucked. I'm never going again, unless I'm made to, like this year.

Only good bit was breakfast at IHOP.

Written By: gemini on 11/25/05 at 11:03 am

I went, and it wasn't too bad. I went to my first store an hour after it opened and they had the 3 things I was looking for and the lines weren't bad. The other 3 stores ran out of stuff though  :(

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/25/05 at 11:05 am

I went, and it wasn't too bad. I went to my first store an hour after it opened and they had the 3 things I was looking for and the lines weren't bad. The other 3 stores ran out of stuff though  :(

And you lived to tell the tale.  ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: gemini on 11/25/05 at 11:07 am

And you lived to tell the tale.

Written By: ChuckyG on 11/25/05 at 6:29 pm

I hit a few stores for reqular stuff today, even though I said I wouldn't.  I went a couple hours after they were open though, so I missed all the "bargins".  I would have liked the $30 shop vac from Home Depot, but I already have a heavy duty one... so it was really just more of a "keep one in the workshop" type of thing.

I also missed all the people though.  The wife went out around 4PM or so to a couple of a stores and they were relatively quiet as well.

I stayed away from the cheapie stores like Walmart though, those places are insane on days like today.

Written By: Dagwood on 11/25/05 at 7:40 pm

My best friend is one of the weirdos that camped out at Wal-Mart last night.  She was third in line when it opened.  I went to Wal-mart at around 11 when the big sales ended.  It was still insane, and all I bought was milk and a door knob.  The funny thing is that they were asking to see everyones receipt.  I can see that for the tv's but for my milk and door knob?  strange.

Written By: Dominic L. on 11/25/05 at 8:01 pm

What happens when you go the day BEFORE Thanksgiving?

Written By: Apricot on 11/25/05 at 8:09 pm

What happens when you go the day BEFORE Thanksgiving?

No sales?

Written By: Dominic L. on 11/25/05 at 8:28 pm

I doubt anything I'm gonna get for xmas will be on sale any day.  :)

Written By: Howard on 11/26/05 at 8:03 am

Why don't they just call it White Friday? ;D

Written By: nally on 11/26/05 at 6:30 pm

Even today, there were lots of folks over by the malls. Traffic jams WAY backed up! Things like that, I'm just not interested in whatsoever.

Written By: Davester on 11/26/05 at 6:40 pm

Couldn't believe it...

Went to the grocery store early in the morning, before 5 am.  The local Wally World, which shares a parking lot with my grocery store, was filled to capacity...I'm talking even the spaces out in BFE were taken.  There was not ONE SINGLE parking space left.  Just people driving their cars around in circles.  I ended up having to park out on the street to run in for a gallon of milk..!

I just had to smile and bite my lip when I saw this...

sheesh...

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 11/27/05 at 10:40 pm

Well...Beth, Vaughn and I went out...but we didn't get going until around 7 because we had to take Chris to work first.  We went to breakfast and hit one store (which by that time wasn't busy at all), and I found a few little things there. I stayed far away from the mall, Best Buy, Walmart, and Toys R Us though...they were crazy busy!!

Written By: whistledog on 11/27/05 at 10:55 pm

Here in Canada, we have Boxing Day which falls on December 26, the day after Christmas.

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 11/27/05 at 10:59 pm

[quote author=whis

Check for new replies or respond here...