inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Is it just me?

Written By: Dominic L. on 11/26/05 at 9:16 am

Am I the only one here who thinks society in general is strange? I mean... I don't think humans are meant to live like we do. Why do we wear clothes? Why is seeing someone naked "inappropriate"? Other animals see each other naked all the time, and... yes, we are animals. Why do we have languages, and why .... anything? Just... WHY?!

I don't know.. maybe I'm just at that age where I'm supposed to be curious.

Oh, and why does everyone think that aliens look kind of like us and speak English and are smarter? For all we know, they could be cat-like creatures.

Subject: Re: Is it just me?

Written By: Marty McFly on 11/26/05 at 9:56 am

Nah, not weird or anything at all.

I've often wondered the same thing myself - are we "privilidged" to be able to do all we can? We run the world, we've created much of it - especially technologically. Animals, insects and all other "creatures" all have their jobs, so to speak, on Earth. We have ours.

The language thing is fascinating too. I do think cats, for instance, can communicate with each other. They just do it differently. In other words, to us, it might just be a "meow" but to them, it's probably like a full on conversation. Perhaps they do talk with each other, just telepathically, or some other way we don't see or understand.

As for clothes, I think it's just uncivilized not to wear them. However, the irony is, that's only because of our own advances over the history of the world. It's self-imposed. I'm sure in prehistoric times, humans were just like some tribes in parts of the world, that barely wear clothes and have their own "universe" in a way. And it wasn't "weird" or anything. We've come too far to regress back to that, I think. It's probably a good thing though, LOL.

P.S. Then again, don't mind me or take this to heart too much. I wrote that all (a) on first thought, and (b) in about 3 minutes. :D

Written By: Morton on 11/26/05 at 6:36 pm

Am I the only one here who thinks society in general is strange? I mean... I don't think humans are meant to live like we do. Why do we wear clothes? Why is seeing someone naked "inappropriate"? Other animals see each other naked all the time, and... yes, we are animals. Why do we have languages, and why .... anything? Just... WHY?!

Oh, and why does everyone think that aliens look kind of like us and speak English and are smarter? For all we know, they could be cat-like creatures.

People in general are strange, no two people in this world are the same. We all react differently to things, we all like and dislike different things. And i've often wondered why animals are kept as pets. Why do people take ownership over dogs and cats? (Not taking digs there - i'm not an animal rights campaignist or anything)...

Humans as creatures are wierd. If we are apparently the most intelligent and superior beings on the planet then why do we do such stupid stupid things? Why do some class themselves higher than others, and most importantly,

WHY DOES EVERYTHING REVOLVE AROUND MONEY?????

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/26/05 at 6:49 pm

People are strange when you're a stranger
Faces look ugly when you're alone
Women seem wicked when you're unwanted
Streets are uneven when you're down

When you're strange
Faces come out of the rain
When you're strange
No one remembers your name
When you're strange
When you're strange
When you're strange

Sorry. Couldn't resist.

Cat

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 11/26/05 at 7:50 pm

We (well, I) wear clothes to make us feel warmer. (In saying that, why can't we wear nothing when it's bloody 40 degrees (90F) outside?!!! Of course, nothings stopping me from wearing nothing, but I'd rather not get arrested  :-\\)

I think alot of the "nudity is bad" nonsense is just what society has made up. There is nothing wrong with nudity, but we have been brought up to think that it is wrong.

The languages think I can't explain. Maybe, 1000 years ago (just a general figure) when people were all seperated into groups, unlike now, every group had it's own way of speaking. And over the last 4-500 years, we have managed to all mingfle into one, whilst still keeping the languages. Meh... just a thought.

I think it's just easier to think of other species we don't know about as looking like us. And in movies etc, it is easier for us to understand if they speak English/German/Dutch/etc.

Written By: whistledog on 11/26/05 at 7:51 pm

I know what Aliens look like ... I saw the movie "Mars Attacks"  ;D

Written By: YWN on 11/26/05 at 8:11 pm

Humans as creatures are wierd. If we are apparently the most intelligent and superior beings on the planet then why do we do such stupid stupid things?

We're the only species that doesn't act solely on instinct, the only species that can invent and discover, the list goes on and on.

Written By: alyceclover on 11/26/05 at 9:03 pm

oh lord, he wants us to use our brain now.... :)

...have U ever seen 'Matrix' if I remember, it kind of pointed out the strange-ness of us homo sapiens...

I think clothes got invented so we could stay warm, protect our bodies from exposure to everything from insect bites to posion ivy, and being the intelligent, creative people we are, it got outta hand...STYLE & FASHION became important...the Puritans, I believe made it unacceptable to run around naked or maybe, it's 'cause most people just look so much better with clothes on then off.

We don't have to talk so much...we can communicate in other ways; we talk so we won't think. Think about things like why we are so strange.  :)

Cats do have specific 'meows' for different, um, conversations. There's the 'feed me' meow, the 'let's fight' meow, the 'I'm content' purr...

I dunno, 'cause we created aliens in our image? I think we make them more intelligent, because, they're already space-travelling here (maybe), so must be more intelligent.

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 11/26/05 at 9:47 pm

People are strange when you're a stranger
Faces look ugly when you're alone
Women seem wicked when you're unwanted
Streets are uneven when you're down

When you're strange
Faces come out of the rain
When you're strange
No one remembers your name
When you're strange
When you're strange
When you're strange

Sorry. Couldn't resist.

Cat

Great song!  I may have to dig out either my Doors greatest hits CD or my Lost Boys soundtrack to hear it again.  Such an awesome tune.

Written By: jackas on 11/26/05 at 10:41 pm

I also think it is strange that we evolved like we did.  How and why did we get to this point....being as advanced as we are.  And the thing about being naked is weird.  I also think it is weird that we put the same limits on sex.  A lot of people think sex is bad if it's not done under the "correct circumstances".  Why?  Do we think it's weird if animals have sex where ever and when ever?  Sure, I don't want to see my neighbor have sex on her front lawn, but why do we (myself included) call people sluts when they have sex with many partners.  Why is sex so sacred?  And I agree with you....we are animals.  Some people get really offended when they hear that.  Just because our brains are higher functioning doesn't mean that we're not animals.  And why do some people believe that there are no aliens.  Why not?  We are here why can't they be?  But then again.......it took just they right combination of heat and gravity and gases..blah, blah, blah....for this earth to thrive.  What is the chance that it can happen again?

Written By: Marian on 11/27/05 at 4:12 pm

[quote author=whis

Written By: Howard on 11/28/05 at 5:10 pm

Why do guys have such a sexual appetite?

Written By: Step-chan on 11/28/05 at 5:12 pm

Definetly not weird. Don't have much else to say about this.

Written By: jackas on 11/28/05 at 5:15 pm

To keep the human race from being extinct.

Written By: Step-chan on 11/28/05 at 5:17 pm

You asked that of all people..... :o

I'm surprised Howard! ::)

I think it's a subconsious biological program in our heads(so we'll be interested in reproduction). :)

Written By: Howard on 11/28/05 at 6:06 pm

You asked that of all people..... :o

I'm surprised Howard! ::)

I think it's a subconsious biological program in our heads(so we'll be interested in reproduction). :)

I'm the one with sex on the brain.  ;)

Written By: Dominic L. on 11/28/05 at 6:19 pm

People in general are strange, no two people in this world are the same. We all react differently to things, we all like and dislike different things. And i've often wondered why animals are kept as pets. Why do people take ownership over dogs and cats? (Not taking digs there - i'm not an animal rights campaignist or anything)...

Humans as creatures are wierd. If we are apparently the most intelligent and superior beings on the planet then why do we do such stupid stupid things? Why do some class themselves higher than others, and most importantly,

WHY DOES EVERYTHING REVOLVE AROUND MONEY?????

:O SAME WITH ME!!

Written By: Dominic L. on 11/28/05 at 6:24 pm

They're the ones who need to eject.. erm.. stuff

Written By: Howard on 11/29/05 at 5:17 pm

They're the ones who need to eject.. erm.. stuff

Sperm?  ;D

Check for new replies or respond here...